The Old Republic: The New Trailers

By Alec Meer on June 6th, 2011 at 9:31 pm.

Pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood

This ludicrously high-gloss CGI intro cinematic for Bioware’s Star Wars MMO goes to great lengths to stress that is very much a Star Wars game, despite the an even longer, long time ago era it’s set in. It’s like a Greatest Hits of Star Wars, but starring dudes you don’t recognise. It’s also a chance to admire the essential archetypes in the game, with the Han Solo type throwing all metaphor to the wind and actually being a bloody cowboy here. Jolly impressive stuff, but obviously it tells us Wookie-squat about what the game actually plays like. Forunately, we have a video for that too…

First, here’s the other revenge of the Sith, and the cinematic you’ll see at the start of the game:

Next, the game itself. Be particularly sure to watch 1m36s in. Just like The Empire Strikes Back, I swear it.

On top of this, a smidgeon of news. We still don’t know exactly when SWTOR will launch or what the payment model will be, but we do now know that it will be exclusive to EA’s newly-revealed Steam/GoG rival Origin. I’m presuming there’ll be a retail release too, but even so it should lend the revamped EA digi-store a bit more mojo.

For more on SWTOR, you’ll be wanting to read John’s hands-on previews here and here.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. JerreyRough says:

I hope they competitively sell it on Steam too.

EDIT: Wait. Damn it!

2. Jason Moyer says:

Um, wait, so the guy with sith horns isn’t sith?

3. Nick says:

Oh cool, a bunch of guys in space armour dancing, it truely is a brave new world for MMORPGs.

4. Teddy Leach says:

I couldn’t help but notice that they didn’t show us any gameplay. Plus the people that I’ve spoken to who played it at PAX said they were underwhelmed. Colour me dubious.

• Betamax says:

I noticed that too, then I remembered this was the press conference thingy and that all the juicey gameplay was saved for E3 proper. Some folks have already talked about playing the Raid on show for instance, which sounds interesting (and I don’t raid).

Their fancy trailers have gained a reputation and they have shown off gameplay at plenty of events earlier in the year even. Plenty of positive previews too I’m afraid.

5. Rei Onryou says:

I’m not sure about the game, but so long as Bioware keep pumping out these CGI movies, I’ll be happy. More than making up for any mistakes that have occurred in Star Wars.

6. Rii says:

Thank God that second trailer was there to remind me that the game actually looks terrible.

7. rivalin says:

That was staggeringly generic, also, some of the acting was just terrible.

Guy sees ship drop out of hyperspace, immediately says “Oh-my-God, The-Sith-Empire-Has-Returned!”
    it’s like a bad school play where someone jumps the gun with their lines.

Nice animation though.

8. kikito says:

I can’t get over the fact that this looks like The Sims: The Force to me. Maybe it’s the animations. I don’t know.

The ship parts were nice though.

9. sendmark says:

Star WoW: A New Grind.

10. felisc says:

Ah, so Shepard is now narrating Star Wars ?

11. InsidiousBoot says:

Star Wars… Meh I want a proper Star Trek MMO.. or better yet.. RPG!! There’s an action/coop game in the making though.

12. papabear says:

how many more trailers until this comes out?

this is really getting boring.

13. PaulMorel says:

No Steam release? That’s the first news that has made me question pre-ordering. I F-ing hate being required to run two different pieces of software for the same thing. I own Steam. I love it. I have 250 games in my Steam library. Why would I want to use another platform?

Ugh.

I’ll still probably pre-order … but I hope that this isn’t the first sign of something more ominous (crazy fees, terrible servers, brilliant visuals w/half-assed gameplay … etc).

14. Evernight says:

Maybe Bioware should stop making games and just make trailers for games. Or maybe they should not post super sexy trailers for decidedly un-sexy games.

15. Ridiculous Human says:

Um. I get that they’re going for fan-service with a lot of this, but couldn’t they have done something more imaginative than very slightly rewriting the escape from the Death Star?

Still. ‘Twas a fun six minutes. No interest whatsoever in the game itself, unfortunately.

16. Kektain says:

Lucasarts’ embedded video player is truly dreadful.

While the cinematic trailer is visually entertaining, the actual gameplay video seems to bore me no matter how aggressively they cut it. Look at the three fighting the evil monster at 0:48. The guy with the blaster pistol just stands there and doesn’t react when he’s punched by a creature twice his standing height. I’m not so worried about the lack of a “being struck” animation–though I should be–but by the fact it just doesn’t matter, that he doesn’t even try to dodge, either because his numbers are higher than the critter’s or it doesn’t matter or not if he’s actually where the critter’s strike lands because he’ll take the damage anyway.

At least walking around inside your own personal ship might be nice. Unless it’s just a backdrop for the cutscenes everyone’s going to skip anyway, since they’ve already seen them many times before.

• Wulf says:

See, this is another reason why I like Guild Wars 2. You see people getting knocked over and thrown about all the time, if there’s an impact, it’s felt. The first time I saw this was in slow-motion in the Guild Wars 2 manifesto video. One charr player is tackling a brandbeast, but the Shatterer (or perhaps another brandbeast) does this purple lightning thing that shatters the ground he’s standing on and sends him flying, the poor bugger would’ve landed on his head if not for the whole catlike reflexes thing. Since, yanno… charr… giant cats.

But anyway, that was a moment of revelation and great amusement for me. After a good chuckle at it, it made me watch out to see how often this happens, and I’ve seen it happen a number of times. I’ve even seen players getting knocked out of dodge rolls, which is comedy gold due to the animations. This tends to give the combat a more visceral feel. In that, if something is attacking you, you’ll know it, it won’t be the same as when it isn’t focused on you (as is true of most MMORPGs).

Here, see for yourself. That slow-mo animation still gets a good chuckle out of me, flailing cat and all. So yeah, I agree, I want to see more of this.

17. Ralud says:

I’ve outgrown Star Wars, even Bioware is unable to make it appealing.

• Nick says:

congratulations on the big boy trousers.

• Hoaxfish says:

when you work out Star Wars was really popular because it was basically the first big sfx blockbuster you kinda realise that it’s basically the same as getting excited about Titanic 2, or if Saturday Night Fever had had more laserbeams in it.

18. Metonymy says:

I’m glad orko is getting a little screen time again. That poor guy is like gary coleman, may he rest in peace.

Just admit that you would KILL to have the “enemy ships are about to drop out of hyperspace”-sense. Think of how valuable you would be during the next galaxy-wide space battle.

19. Nathan_G says:

THOROUGHLY unappealing. The cinematic looks fantastic, but the game looks pants, and the gameplay looks even worse. Lucky they have automatic customers…

• MadMatty says:

Everything is cheesy as hell.
      The slow-mo for the bounty hunter…. the way he turns around mid fight (for what reason??!) before firing his other pistol.

I remember having fun with Dark Forces and the X-wing/tie fighter games, but thats about it.
      Stories and cinematics in general just started sucking badly after the Matrix came out, coz every dumb kid on the block thought it was da shit.

20. Sagan says:

Guy is being held at gunpoint by three people: One of them says “lay down your weapons” – Guy pulls his gun and then they just stand there.

21. hotcod says:

I know a few people in the closed beta, the most they can say is that they love it.

22. Tasloi says:

Should have just made a TOR CG movie and call it quits.

• Hoaxfish says:

Unless I’m mistaken, the CG is actually made by a CG company rather than Bioware. so, really, the only good thing isn’t even them in the first place.

23. wodin says:

That intro was better than the last three films put togather…actually thow Return of the Jedi in aswell….

24. DainIronfoot says:

You know what the funny thing is? Most of the action in the cinematic trailers can actually be done ingame in Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy. Here you’ll just have to settle for clicking on an enemy and watching.

• mondomau says:

Amen to that. I’m actually starting to suffer from an uncommon bout of nerd rage caused by the brief surge of elation that these trailers elicit by hinting awesome Outcast/Academy style gameplay, followed by a brutal crushing recollection that this is a fucking MMO grindfest that changes literally nothing about WoW except for tacking on WORDS WORDS WORDS.

Just release the bloody thing already so it can fail terribly and we can all have a good chuckle.

25. pwguns says:

If all SWTOR is, is just WoW with guns. i’m totally cool with that.

game looks amazing intro looks amazing.

man I want to play a smuggler so bad now.

26. logan says:

Man I just wish they would have done KOTOR 3 instead.

27. Zelius says:

“EA’s newly-revealed Steam/GoG rival”, eh?

That doesn’t sound like anything I’d want to take part in. It’s a questionable move, too. Considering they’re gonna need to somehow turn that gigantic budget into a profit, I doubt it’s a good idea to lock it into an untested Steam wannabe that only sells EA titles. It might scare away potential first-day buyers.

Too bad, I was really looking forward to this game.

28. Wulf says:

Well that’s pretty damn cruel. Using a name for their download service that they came into ownership of by slaughtering and devouring a pretty decent PC RPG developer. No, I will not be ‘brothers in origin’ with your filthy download service, EA! >:|

29. Basilicus says:

I’m unlikely to hop on the MMO bandwagon anytime soon, but this does look suitably varied. The space battles intrigue me; I’m sure they’d be fairly light on complexity, but they still look fun.

That said, if I ever do go MMO (which I probably won’t), everyone’s got a lot of ground to make up on the appeal of The Secret World and Guild Wars 2.

30. Valvarexart says:

The crappy graphics from 2002, they hurt me eyes! Well, not really, but nice graphics couldn’t have hurt.

31. Reapy says:

Wish they would just make a star wars movie instead of a subpar mmo, loving the cinematics they are churning out :)

32. Yosharian says:

Nothing to see here. Maybe they should STOP hyping this game, since it’s doing more damage than good as far as I can see.

33. max pain says:

Animations are great. Just look at the fighting in the trailer, and the fighting in the game. Couldn’t tell the difference.

34. Hoaxfish says:

Erm, being fairly casual with MMOs… what’s a “Raid”?

When I say casual… well, none of the MMOs I’ve played ever used such a phrase, though I have heard that WoW uses it for something.

• MiniMatt says:

Being far too cool to have ever played WoW I obviously wouldn’t know. But I “heard” it’s basically larger group dungeon crawls, small groups is for your regular dungeons, five or so players, raids are multiple groups, used to be up to 40 or so players. Ahem. So I’ve heard.

(actually, think WoW imported the term from the first Everquest)

• Koozer says:

A raid is when you stand around for 3 hours waiting for 40 people to log on, get to the dungeon, get a coke, feed the budgie etc. You then proceed to mindlessly clear trash mobs for 10 minutes. After that, you get to stand around for another 10 minutes while the guild leader meticulously explains where to stand and when to hit the boss. Continue to take another 10 minutes to kill one boss. Rinse and repeat until all bosses are dead and everyone else in the raid has got useful items.

35. Holybasil says:

You people will never be happy. Game looks fucking awesome.

36. darthmajor says:

Gods damn these scenes are all taken from the movies, and so is the music. It makes me pretty sick and sad, not a hint of originality in the video. Oh look there’s han solo! Darth maul came, to the same music as well! Oh my the master stayed while the apprentice escaped, we have never seen anything like that!

./me losing hope in Star Wars universe

• Teddy Leach says:

I’ve been exposed so so much identical music in every Star Wars game that I can’t stand any Star Wars music any more.

• Zelius says:

Eh.. Every single cinematic from this game has looked better than any of the prequel films. I’m not even being a fanboy here, since I won’t be buying this game. The prequels were just that bad.

Comment on this story