Assassin’s Creed: Revelations Trailer Is Cool

By Quintin Smith on June 7th, 2011 at 9:47 am.

Maybe the revelation will be that Ezio has to murder... himself!

There were so many RPS news posts yesterday! What was going on in my absence? This is like coming into work as a mechanic and finding repaired cars not just in the car park, but on the roof, in the basement, balanced on top of lamp posts.

To business. I have lots of great headlines that might benefit this ICE-cool new trailer for Assassin’s Creed: Revelations (“Some More Mr. Knife Guy”, “Cool Runnings”), but I can’t use any of them because the game’s title is too long. That’s going to be a theme today, isn’t it? Ah well.

Sorry, Ezio. Sometimes you win, sometimes you noose.

, , , .

1. BooleanBob says:

We can shorten it to AssRevel, can’t we?

I’m only disowning it if it fails to take off.

2. Jonathan says:

In land of my people, title go on two line is okay.

• Quintin Smith says:

Is no possible!!

• Shadowcat says:

You know, I always thought that RPS must have some absurd character limit on their title fields when I saw comments about the desired title being too long, but if it’s just a question of wrapping onto a second line, then listen up RPS dudes: the web isn’t a print media, and I’m afraid you have very little control over the fonts/sizes which people are actually using. Of the eleven titles currently on your front page, ten of them wrap onto a second line when I view them. You will be relieved to learn that this (apparently) shameful state of affairs has yet to put me off reading your site, because it makes no difference.

So go nuts! Throw all caution to the wind, and write slightly longer headlines, should the fancy take you. I am reasonably sure that your audience will not recoil in horror and abandon the site in droves.

• Robert says:

It does not matter how it shows on your screen. They measure it per certain standards tailored to their guru. Some say he’s a legend, some say a lie. I have a damaged holocron with sparse and incomplete details about him, so I know there is truth in it. What I know is that if they don’t comply to those standards, an entiry called “Karen Gillan” will come forth and grab a hammer from the sky and rain down thunder and lightning on them. The details might be off, but the the truth is out there.

3. gwathdring says:

Damn. That was an awesome trailer. I hope that multiple enemies attack you at once in the game too … that bugged me a lot about AC 1 and 2. Haven’t tried Brotherhood yet.

• sbs says:

they do, although very hesitantly

• Bankei says:

actually, they don’t, they just stand there while you do an “execution” streak. They still attack one at a time BUT once in a while, one of them while try to grab you so that another can stab you…

4. gwathdring says:

God damn that was gorgeous. And rather snappily choreographed.

5. Anguy says:

The combat has always been too easy. In AssBro they certainly did a nice thing by implementing those guild challenges where you had to kill 30 enemys in a certain kind of way, which made the combat a bit more varied (if you tried to complete those challenges anyway) but you could just block and counterattack all the time nonetheless.
    I would like to be a bit more frightened or excited while fighting for AssRevel

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

The question is whether it’s meant to be challenging or simply an easy and entertaining way to get rid of opponents and show how awesome your character is.

• matrices says:

If they would just implement an Arkham-type freeflow combat model this series would be one of the top 5 franchises in recent memory. Instead it’s once again Ubisoft doing its shitty combat implementation. Yes, you have great artists, now how about hiring people who can make good combat mechanics?

QuantaCat says:

Well atleast they made him old. Awesome trailer. (are they going to be reusing bits from AC1?

• Icarus says:

The fortress at the end did look a little familiar, yes.

• ChiefOfBeef says:

It appears to be Musiaf and Ezio keeps seeing Altair.

*spoiler warning*

In the codex writings of AC2, there is a strong hint that Altair became so afraid of death in his old age that he asked the Apple how he could extend his life. He may even still be alive in Desmond’s time line.

Ridiculous Human says:

Ezio: not the most subtle of assassins.

• Meat Circus says:

That was the thing about AssBro, at least: the more noise you made, the more fun it became. The series has departed drastically from the “silent assassin” motif of the original, but since AssBro was so much bloody fun, I don’t care.

8. DanPryce says:

I want an Assassin’s Creed set in feudal Japan. You do too.

• Icarus says:

Yes. Yes I do. And Victorian England. And modern-day (as in present day, not AssCreed’s crazy future-land) Paris as well.

• Teddy Leach says:

+1 for Victorian London.

QuantaCat says:

I think modern day assassinations will forever stay in the realm of Hitman.

EDIT: though what about the seventies? :D

• mllory says:

I want one in anceint China. With a spear.

Or anywhere else really, as long as they go back in history and elsewhere in latitude/longitude.

• Radiant says:

There is one it’s called Tenchu: Stealth Assassin.

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Yes, so much so. I’m forced to admit what a great job AC do. It’s more fun (IMHO) than Tenchu, which they sadly haven’t brought to an actual computer yet.

I would most certainly enjoy AssTorian as well.

• tocard2 says:

@Icarus I do hope you know that crazy AssCreed future is next year. The events of AC1, 2, and Brohood take place in the year 2012. Crazy far in the future.

9. Icarus says:

Hmm.

I haven’t yet played Brotherhood, or even finished AssCreed 2 (I’m a few hours in), but I’m definitely going to be grabbing this. It’ll be good to see a conclusion to Ezio’s story, and to see Altair again. Sure, he was kind of a douche, but I’m interested in finding out what happened to him.

QuantaCat says:

he was a bit annoying, wasnt he?

I mean, of course, the plot didnt really help his image to the player, but still.

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Brotherhood is most certainly well worth picking up as well. A tonne of fun.

10. Holybasil says:

*snooooooooore*

11. Jorum says:

I’m a bit put-off by it not actually looking like Ezio very much. But otherwise damn cool.
    And that fortress is definitely supposed to be the original Assassin fortress (it has a big Assassin symbol on the floor for one). Presumably that’s what the travel montage is, Ezio making his way all the way to Masyaf only to find the Templars got there first.

Latest PC Gamer article also says that game will feature playable Altair, as you’ll be playing Desmond who is exploring Ezio’s memory who is in turn exploring Altair’s memories (somehow, maybe Ezio’s such a monumental badass by this point he doesn’t need an animus. but probably some convinient POE magic instead)
    And you also explore Desmonds subconcious which is a geometric abstract kind of place.

• sbs says:

and probably you explore desmonds memories as someone else and that guys memories are explored by someone else too, so it will be a dream in a dream in a dream in a dream in a dream in a dream in a dream in a dream

• CaspianRoach says:

We need to go deeper.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

Hopefully Desmond won’t bugger up the first three hours of the game by walking slowly towards Danny Wallace.

12. The Army of None says:

Anyone know what song that is?

13. wodin says:

Never played one but just started 2 and I’m really enjoying it…great story….though I’m sure an XboX controller is alot better to use than mouse and keyboard.

Just watched the trailer..that was exciting…

14. Pemptus says:

That fight looked cool, but in reality he just held the right mouse button and pressed the left mouse button every time someone took a stab at him. It’s difficult to get excited knowing the game mechanics.

15. Teddy Leach says:

One day we’ll have combat exactly like that in games. It will be glorious.

16. Avenger says:

Any word about the DRM ?

• somini says:

Probably like ACB, which is activation when installing and Offline Mode, with no access to DLC.

17. JonathanStrange says:

Not gonna lie, that was a damned impressive trailer. I remember the trailer for the original game was exceptional as well, and though I haven’t played any games since, I did enjoy that first one even if it didn’t quite live up to expectations. One of these days I’m going to have to play through the others since released.

18. Sangman says:

Trailer and gameplay wasn’t bad, let’s hope it’s better than AC: Brotherhood though. Not that Brotherhood was bad mind you, I did enjoy that, but I felt AC2 was better and Brotherhood felt like an expansion that wasn’t really worth the $50 I paid for it. I know I spent a lot more time playing AC2 and the bonus stuff in it than I did with Brotherhood.

Gonna have to see more of Revelations before I get excited, but I hope it turns out to be a great game.

19. Fondue says:

Never before have I involuntarily smiled at a trailer featuring so much minion-killing.

20. Nallen says:

Put it in high def then pause at 2:08.

This is a photo. I don’t care what you have to say to the contrary.

21. bill says:

Between this and the Old Republic CGi trailer I think we’ve nailed the slomo cool cgi combat now.

22. Tony M says:

“I can’t use any of them because the game’s title is too long.”

Ubisoft gives you the perfect excuse to make ass jokes and you complain. Gamers really are entitled ingrates.

23. Radiant says:

5 minutes into a knife fight he remembers that he also bought knives.
    Headbutts a man wearing a metal helmet.
    After winning said knife fight, instead of killing him on the floor they take him to the top of the mountain and throw him off so he can what?…die on the floor?
    Also the whole point of their knives being on sticks is so that they don’t have to get close to the man trying to punch and headbutt them.

Not exactly the algonquin round table is it.

24. Urthman says:

This is a fantastic trailer.

I love the tease at the end — Altair’s ghost reminding you this is the spot you made your very first Leap of Faith in AC1, the eagle hinting there’s a haystack below — only to have the game say, “Oh yeah? Now try it with a noose around your neck!”

• Radiant says:

It’s not a game it’s a cg trailer.
      Also I wouldn’t worry so much about the rope around your neck; you literally have a knife up your sleeve.

And maybe a gun.

25. FunkyBadger3 says:

Also, that’s a magnificent trailer.

Makes me sad they so bolloxed up the premise of the first game…

DarkNoghri says:

I quite liked that. I may have to pick up 2 and Bro at some point to figure out who this Ezio guy is, though. If they made a film like that, I would most likely watch it.

I’m going to link this here because it’s partially relevant and I still think it’s funny.

27. wodin says:

Honestly AC 2 is a great game…I had no realy expectations..and I’d heard bad things about one…so I went with 2 and for the first time in a long time a game has my full attention…

28. Vinraith says:

Loved AC1, loved AC2, expect I’ll love Brotherhood (haven’t had a chance to play it yet), just generally love this series. I’m normally not one for cinematic trailers, but I have to admit that was pretty awesome.

It's not me it's you says:

I did not pick up AC2 for such a long time after AC1 turned out to be more of a proof of concept than a game and Ubi managed to burden it with ridiculously draconian DRM after what must’ve been one hell of a coke binge in the boardroom but once I did I couldn’t help but race through it and AssBro basically inside the space of one week.

So what I’m saying is I can’t wait for Assalations! AC went from practically off my radar to one of my favourite contemporary series. Even considering getting a collector’s edition for this one.

Also, as a side note – I found Ezio to be one of the most refreshing protagonists in recent gaming history. He was funny, cheery and generally did not spend the whole game whining about all the shit that’d gone wrong to put him in the situation he was in. I was afraid after the intro of AC2 that the womanising nobleman persona would peel of to reveal a grimdark Modern Videogame Protagonist(tm) and was exceedingly pleased to see this did not happen.
    The scene that sold me was early in AC2, where Leonardo makes the hidden blade and informs Ezio he’ll have to lose his ring finger. He’s obviously taken aback for a second and then goes “Whelp, alright then. Go for it!”. Such a nice change of pace.

30. Jimbo says:

AC has always had awesome trailers and this one doesn’t disappoint.

31. cmi says:

wow – very nice cg trailer. especially love the music, kinda unique and interesting choice for such a trailer.