CCP Confirms DUST 514 Is PS3 Only

By John Walker on June 7th, 2011 at 6:54 am.

BUT THIS ISN'T STRICTLY PC GAMING NEWS!

CCP’s much vaunted console accompaniment to EVE, DUST 514, has now been officially confirmed as a PS3 exclusive. Apparently it’s because the PS3 is much better designed for online worlds and micro-payments. I’m a touch confused about what DUST 514 is all about, especially how it interacts with PC players of a separate game. (Hence our discussing it.) Confusion I’m going to clear up when I speak to CCP tomorrow (later today in RCT, but it’s still yesterday in America). So yes, this is sort of console news, but if you read on you’ll quite how PC news it really is.

Described as a “persistent online shooter”, players of the digitally distributed Sonybox release are encouraged to improve their goodies by spending real and earned money on in-game items, in an attempt to bring an MMO to a console. An MMO that’s interacting with the activities of EVE, still remaining PC only. CCP describe the game as,

“a game of brutal ground combat and planetary conquest in which the actions of players on the PS3 will have a profound and mutual effect on the fates of hundreds of thousands of PC gamers in the vast interstellar reaches of EVE Online.”

So what you’ve got here is planets from EVE now being accessible on their surfaces to players of DUST. EVE players can hire DUST mercenaries to help them conquer territories, which of course is the correct way around. I’d like to see more PC games hiring console serfs to perform the blue collar jobs we don’t want to trouble ourselves with. I might be more interested in strategy games if someone on an Xbox is doing all the mining and building units, so I can get on with fighting stuff.

“The actions of ground troops and orbiting attack fleets are tightly interwoven, with the real time actions of players in one game directly affecting the other. A single bullet fired on the planet below can pivot the balance of power in EVE Online. Every action has consequences, and every reaction has the potential to topple empires.”

We’ll be finding a lot more about this on Tuesday.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Sigvatr says:

This is the worst decision ever made.

• Ilinx says:

Why? At the very least it should be a very interesting experiment for MMOs. If it manages to meaningfully connect two currently disparate platforms, and without having to limit the experience of either part, it could lead to something very novel. And if it fails, I don’t see why it should to much of a knock-on affect on EVE either.

• poop says:

Im sure im not the only pc gamer who has been waiting for “eve but with less mining spreadsheets” for like five years, fuck every time an eve article comes up on this site somebody says something like that

then they make it ps3 exclusive

• Lobotomist says:

“Apparently it’s because the PS3 is much better designed for online worlds and micro-payments”

Many hackers agree with this

• Urael says:

While I’ll avoid applying a value-judgement I am massively perplexed by the decision to target PS3 owners exclusively, when I imagine there’s a large market for PC gamers eager to play Dust as well.

I do hope CCP will implement some measures to stop PC-gaming fleet commanders from simply wiping out the console-populated battlefields with nukes…

• PatrickSwayze says:

Microsoft won’t open Xbox Live, not to anybody, that’s why it’s PS3 only. XBL servers or none at all.

As for why it’s not on PC, I guess CCP just want to try their hand at a different market. Who can blame them?

All the serious players will be buying a PS3 as we speak anyway.

• Ovno says:

I’ve been hoping they’d forget about this console only madness but apparently they’ve made it worse and then started talking about micro payments :(

Makes me glad I stopped playing eve….

• HermitUK says:

To me it seems a bit odd simply because consoles have a limited lifespan. By 2015 MS and Sony are probably going to be gearing up for the launch of their new hardware. EVE’s going to outlive the PS3, but will Dust?

• johnpeat says:

@PatrickSwayze – EA games use their own servers as well as the XB ones so that’s a load of tosh I’m afraid…

That wouldn’t explain why they’re not offering this on PC either – clearly Sony have offered them money and they’ve chosen to take it which means they’re “exclusive” on the lowest-selling console and the one hardcore shooter players (and Eve players) are least-likely to own.

Well done – next up, Ferraris will only sync with Alcatel phones…

• adonf says:

@PatrickSwayze: “Microsoft won’t open Xbox Live”

This was true for the old Xbox, but I think it’s possible with the newer one. Didn’t the Final Fantasy MMO let PC and X360 players join the same servers ?

• BoneyD says:

I can see why they made it console only, and also exclusive to the PS3. In an environment where balance is of supreme importance, since the amount of in-game currency likely to be riding on the outcomes of these land battles is so vast, you’d have to make damn sure it’s a level playing field.

PC players would outstrip the abilities of most of their non-mouse/keyboard adversaries on console, so you would undoubtedly find great incentive for corporations to organise PC based mercenary groups. This is therefore an immediate no-go.

Then, regarding Xbox/Wii/PS3 exclusivity: For the same reason stated above concerning balance, if it were found that one or more of the consoles had some inherent advantage over the other(s), then this would pose great difficulty for CCP in maintaining that perfectly level playing field. So, by definition, only one console could have been chosen and it looks like the lucky winner was Sony.

• DarkNoghri says:

@Adonf,

I would normally have said that all cross-play had to be through GFWL, but I can’t find anything about that on the box-art/info for FF11. Weird.

Almost all cross-play I’ve ever heard of was forced to go through GFWL. It’s mostly not used anymore, for two reasons: PC controls had to be horribly nerfed in shooters and such or they stomped all over console users, and no one actually likes using GFWL.

2. cookie says:

Mmmm, more pewpews for the console kiddies.

• Koojav says:

Oh wow.
      You really managed to get only ‘pewpew for console kiddies’ from article about two games with connected gameplay even though they are from separate genres and produced for different type of gaming equipment ?

• max pain says:

I think cookie is just emulating the simple brain of a console player.
      I’m considering getting one as a game pet myself.

• -Spooky- says:

Ya right, .. that´s the point of using 80% PC and 20 % consoles for gaming. Yes ! BRAIINNZZZZZ !!!

3. Avenger says:

Why are we discussing this again?

• Urael says:

One of the PC’s most unique and long-standing MMO’s develops a console-only portion? You don’t think that’s newsworthy to PC gamers?

• gorgol says:

Perhaps, but its a snub to their original PC fan base. One more reason why I’m glad I never got into EvE.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Why exactly would this be a snub, Gorgol? It seems like you (and people with similar responses) are simply overreacting. Sure, you may have wanted to play DUST on the pc. But why should that mean that CCP hates (or whatever) PC gamers. I mean… that’s crazy talk.

-edit- *Prods his sarcasm detector* Man, I hope you’re functioning properly.. Darn things.

• Tyshalle says:

Doesn’t that kind of assume that all PC gamers are snobby dicks that scoff at all things console? There are those of us who own and enjoy playing games on both consoles and PC, y’know.

• Mayjori says:

@HMM-HMM

because there is no GOOD reason to have it PS3 only, it should be PS3 and PC damn it….

4. DSR says:

514?
    I know, some of those developers are milking their series hard, but… 514? Come on!

• oceanclub says:

I have a PC and XBox, but in my case I bought the latter for use as a media center; far cheaper at the time than a PS3.

P.

• Koozer says:

nothing can ever top DUST 298. Pinnacle of the series.

• Mayjori says:

i dunno, dust 457 was ok too!

5. DeepSleeper says:

Well, this is interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any game do this sort of thing, tying in with another game on a completely different system ….

Oh, wait, it’s a CONSOLE title. EW. Nothing of value or interest ever came from THOSE. Heavens no, get it away.

6. Vexing Vision says:

Ideally, this would target PC Gamers who also own a console.

However, at least here in Europe, the marketshare says that PC Gamers with a console are much more likely to own a Xbox than a PS3.

On the other hand, multiplatform connection between PS3 and PC is much easier, apparently, than between PC and Xbox (which is a rather poor statement regarding Microsoft).

It’s definitely interesting, but I also think it’s a dead birth – unless the combat mechanics are amazing (and how could they be, on a console?), it’s unlikely to spark additional interest due to being connected to EVE, simply because I can’t see much overlap between EVE players and PS3 Owners.

Definitely curious, but also definitely watching this from the sidelines.

• Avenger says:

“PC Gamers with a console are much more likely to own a Xbox than a PS3″

Really?

This makes almost NO sense to me. From what I gather, there are several PS3 exclusive titles around whereas some of the more important XBOX ones are ported to PC. Considering the fact that both the PC and XBOX have the same OS manufacturer, PS3 seemed like a natural “second plaform” choice for PC gamers.

• Vexing Vision says:

I can only speak about the European market, I have no idea how it looks in the US or Asian markets.

I think a reason for this may be market placement – Microsoft goes with PCs, and they do push the Xbox quite violently. Also, XBox is much, much cheaper, AND the peripherals are the same.

If you have other numbers for other markets, I would be really glad to see them though!

• Jim Rossignol says:

The Xbox was the most owned console in our survey by some considerable margin.

• Oozo says:

Very surprised to hear that as well.
      When I decided to buy a console last year (what with the prices having dropped considerably), I chose Sony without thinking twice. The reasons where twofold:

a) it doubles as a Blu-Ray player
      b) the overlap in games released with the PC is considerably higher on Xbox.
      [c) the exlusives on PS where much more attractive to me, but that's not really an objective reason]

But well, hard numbers prove that not everybody thinks that way. So be it!

• ulix says:

I’m sorry if I offend anyone with this, but if you’ve owned a descent gaming rig when you bought your Xbox you’re just stupid (or really, really like childish “Man”-Shoots).

The PS3 has so many more (and better) exclusives. At least if you own a gaming PC, that is. If not, the Xbox may be the console to prefer.

Also: paying extra for online gaming? No way!

(Yeah yeah, paying for playing is better than not playing at all! Haha!)

• Avenger says:

I think “price” was a valid selling point here. I don’t think most gaming PC owners cheapskates, but if research shows that is the case, that is the case.

• Defiant Badger says:

I’m just going to throw this in concerning the Ps3′s exlcusives. I think the western console games are really quite bland, and that includes Ps3 exclusives of course. However, eastern console games can be really something (e.g From software stuff, Team Ico stuff, Mgs, etc), although eastern Pc games, I have noticed arn’t as good in all respects, generally speaking of course, as western Pc titles.

So what I mean to say is that, I feel owning both Ps3 and Pc gives access to the “best of both worlds”.

• Vexing Vision says:

Speaking for myself, I bought my Xbox for Rockband and Brütal Legend. The choice was between a PS3 and a XBox, and finally the (at that time) 130 GBP won out (this included a second controller, which would have to be bought separately for the PS3). A blue-ray player would have been nice to play around with, but was not (and unlikely to become) a priority at that point.

My Xbox is for offline and split-screen titles only. It is not connected in any way to the Net.

Although I’m probably screwing the statistics by currently having 3 XBoxes (all of them functional), 5 gaming PCs, 3 non-gaming PCs and 2 laptops in our house. I figured as long as I have more gaming PCs than Xboxes, I can still claim to be a PC gamer. :D

• Avenger says:

“…having 3 XBoxes (all of them functional), 5 gaming PCs, 3 non-gaming PCs and 2 laptops in our house…”

So, what you are basically saying is “I wouldn’t buy a PS3, even if I had money to buy 13 computers, because it was a bit more expensive”.

We got your point, you are a rich snob. No need to rub it in everyones face.

• Vexing Vision says:

I’m married to a geek gamer who recently won an XBox, and we live together with another geek gamer. These things accumulate!

But yes, price definitely was a deciding factor.

• SeanybabeS says:

Just to throw some statistics into the mix;
      EMEAA (Rest of world outside Japan/Americas):
      XBOX = 20.7m
      PS3 = 24.2m

• Kaira- says:

I myself bought X360 back when I didn’t have a gaming computer (my comp back then could barely run Warcraft 3 and Medieval: Total War). It was pretty promising console back then imho, and the way it was cheaper than PS3 swayed me to it… and well, Halos too. Nowdays I’m quite saddened how there haven’t been any good exclusives to X360 when comparing to Wii or PS3. Last one that I bought was Deadly Premonition, which is also available for PS3, but only if you import it from Japan. I guess I might buy PS3 to my cavalcade of console-toys someitme in the near future, because I’m interested in God of War 3, Heavy Rain and so forth. You get the gist.

As for this decision by CCP… I’m not really sure what to make out of it. I remember seeing some trailers for this when it was still marketed as coming out on both PS3 and X360. Seemingly strange decision, but I guess it is, as someone said above, that Microsoft doesn’t want to open Xbox Live.

• wruscle says:

I was a happy PC gamer and still am, though Windows XP, on a MacbookPro, with a GeForce 8600M GT, via Bootcamp can’t give me a frame rate of over 12 on Witcher 2. Dagnabbit!

I bought a PS3 for Demons’ Souls, and would do so again in a heartbeat. And I do mean heartbeat. I tried a couple of others console titles after. Got tired of navigating wheels within wheels, which should only ever be covered with eyes and spouting Jehovan prophecy. If Dark Souls ends up PS3 exclusive, I’ll fire it back up for something other than my son’s Lego games. Otherwise, keyboards give the best immersion.

7. mpk says:

Making it exclusive to one of the consoles will hurt this grand experiment. The whole idea of Dust was create an integrated world universe that could be affected by both console and PC players – you can’t do that if you’re effectively telling X-Box owners to fuck off.

• kibayasu says:

This is just a guess, but I think its less about telling Xbox owners to fuck off and more telling Microsoft to fuck off with the incredibly restrictive system that is Xbox Live. As EvE evolves Dust will as well. Since CCP releases all its expansions for EvE free of charge I imagine they’d want to do the same thing for Dust. You try getting something like that past Microsoft.

• mpk says:

I’d like to see them get it past Sony.

• darmwand says:

Judging from the awful state of TF2 on the PS3 (never tried it, but you hear things) I’m not sure it’s particularly easy to ship updates for PS3 games either.

• kibayasu says:

Why would you be surprised if they did? Valve already got a lot more than free expansion packs past Sony.

Edit: TF2 is a different case. Read up on what Valve has said about bringing Steamworks to the PSN.

• Jim Rossignol says:

I think this announcement means that Sony are okay with whatever they have planned, while MS are not.

• Mark says:

Microsoft has been hamstring by its own policies regard MMOs this generation. Luckily, it actually hasn’t hurt them as MMOs haven’t hit big on consoles. They’ll have to reconsider their attitude when the next generation of hardware come out.

• Ovno says:

Don’t really care about ps3 vs xbox, the important question is WHY NOT PC!!!!

• Chaz says:

Had it come out on the XBox I would have considered it for my 360, however at the mention of micro-payments I’m actually now not too bothered.

8. gwathdring says:

This sounds like a terrible idea. Any EVE online players have input on this?

• darmwand says:

There is a rather lengthy thread on the EVE forums.

People are not happy.

• wu wei says:

CCP have proven themselves incapable of having the subgames within EVE integrate well together; the idea that they can pull it off across platforms & titles is absolutely laughable.

Almost as laughable as CCP’s “Chief Pythonista” getting agitated over the use of eval/exec in the standard library. Apparently he’s VERY afraid of Dust 514 players being able to pass unbrokered strings of Python code to the application for nefarious purposes, which is just batshit crazy on so many levels it hurts (and explains a lot, like the persistant use of broken floating point where decimals are required).

• mpk says:

@gwathdring

The idea was great in theory, as a lot of CCP’s ideas are and if they released Dust as a freemium FPS on the PC, they’d have almost the entire 0.0 playerbase taking part in space and on the ground. If hats could transfer from Dust to EVE and vice versa, I’m sure that there’d be money to be made.

The problem there is that a lot of hardcore EVE players don’t pay RL cash for the game – they use ISK to purchase game time. I know one of my old corpies hasn’t paid for EVE since 2007 (or something ridiculous) and is still subbed. This, imo, would limit that amount of money they’d make from a PC version of Dust.

By putting it out on console they’re expanding the available player base. They get a slice of each unit sold, plus any microtransactions. Dust is all about making more money because EVE’s income is going to eventually plateau, if it hasn’t already.

• gwathdring says:

Thanks for the info, guys. I find EVE exceedingly interesting, and this is also a somewhat unusual move in the gaming industry as a whole … I’ll be paying attention to how this goes down.

• Kelron says:

I don’t understand why they aren’t releasing it on PC. But I own a PS3 so I hope it works out and I’ll have another nice game to play.

• Stick says:

“— EVE forums. People are not happy.” – darmwand

Well, to be fair, the chances of a generally happy mood on the EVE forums are about equal to hell freezing over on the same day a Clear Skies episode is released.

9. poop says:

oh for fucks sake

10. sdtipps says:

Ok, c’mon, happy about it or not, it is interesting.

Having played around with development for both xbox and pc (nothing more serious) I know that there are some very very basic things that can be done with a console controller that the PC interface can’t do well. The PC does most things well, the Console does most things poorly and a very few things very well. This should influence design from the ground up. Unfortunately it is usually an afterthought.
    If you have played Eve, you are familiar with the concept of a beer fleet. This is a lot of fun, and could pretty much only be better if it was a LAN party, but those are kind of a pain for most players to set up. What this game sounds like is an attempt to get the depth that eve offers (which the PS3 crowd is more likely to appreciate than the XBOX bunch), into a Console FPS. There is no point trying to multiplatform this. It would wind up meaning that one system dominated the others. The PS3 makes it a console game, and thus appeals to that market, without the necessity for dumbing down that would result from the other platforms out there. This might be boring as a PC Game. HALO was. I doubt it would be if the mercenary corporation members were all in the same room, which is usually the way console players work.

The point here is the Metagame, which is what eve is about. This is just extending that metagame to a new audience. And it is, technically, intensely interesting. it is only upsetting to us EVE players because it is risky and might damage our economy.

• Thants says:

What very basic things can’t a PC interface do well? The only thing I’ve found that a controller has a real advantage with is driving a vehicle. And even then, you can just plug-in a console controller.

• jon_hill987 says:

@Thants: Or a PC controller. We had Analogue controllers long before they were added to consoles.

• ulix says:

“The only thing I’ve found that a controller has a real advantage with is driving a vehicle. And even then, you can just plug-in a console controller.”

So driving games are the only thing you’ve found?

I guess you never played any Platformer (2D or 3D), Fighting Game or combo-heavy Action Game?

• ulix says:

“We had Analogue controllers long before they were added to consoles.”

And which one would that have been? Joysticks, sure. But controllers? With analog-sticks? Where? When?

• Thants says:

You’re right, Fighting Games are another good example. Personally, I think platformers work just as well on a keyboard, if you have a good keyboard for it.

11. negativedge says:

anyone that might possibly be interested in this game is going to be a PC guy. trying to rope in console gamers that are going to be coming at this from the angle of looking for something to take over for/compliment Halo or CoD to work with Eve players is pretty idiotic. it’s a maybe fantastic idea and I’d really like it to have a shot. splitting your player base like this is not the way to do it. and what’s going to happen when Eve is still going fairly strong and Dust Whatever has no players after six months? multiplayer console games are not known for their longevity, much less niche ones.

12. Thants says:

This certainly seems like a bit of a “screw you” to their current, PC using customers.

13. Buceph says:

It’s quite funny seeing the two sides at play in this. From looking at the blogs, and responses on gaming sites, it looks like Eve’s players are being their usual butthurt bittervet selves about CCP striking out in a new direction, and the oh so many ways it will negatively effect them (they’re like attention starved children.) While people who haven’t seen CCP fall through on promise after promise are actually quite enthusiastic about it all, and applauding the new approach at a “persistant shooter.” At least as soon as someone tells them what is actually going on.

• wu wei says:

It’s not about being “attention starved” so much as wishing CCP would actually finish off implementing one idea before moving on to another as soon as the first gets too boring / difficult to do right. They have been very frank in their belief that new-but-broken features are far better at attracting new players than making existing sub-games work properly.

It’s also “interesting” that Dust 514 is apparently designed to screw up the major form of passive income that EVE currently provides in Planetary Interaction. Then again, pretty much _every_ release by CCP ensures you’ll be spending more time to achieve less. I guess that’s the MMO way.

• slight says:

The thing is, they (we) *are* attention starved. CCP are using the vast majority of their income at the moment to fund development of Dust514, World of Darkness and Incarna, the in-station part of EVE they’ve been promising for years. There’s only a tiny development team working on the core mechanics of EVE and many of the most important of those mechanics have been seriously broken for some time.

• Reapy says:

So stop paying them?

14. Jim Rossignol says:

This is insane.

• Protagoras says:

THIS IS DELVE!

Though, to be fair, as time goes on and I look more critically at my time in Eve (2 years, lots and lots of manhours), I think that Eve is very much a lucky fluke – its just bare/open enough to allow “meaningful” social interaction, and just harsh enough to draw in the people (i.e “hardcores”) who would actually be passionate enough about the game to spend all that time doing boring ass shit in order to facilitate the large political events that really make the game shine.

Seems like CCP have been trying very hard to change those fertile conditions in the last couple of years since I quit. Guess this dust thing just continues the trend.

• Unaco says:

Sometimes it’s from these moments of insanity, that true genius shines through.

15. Anthile says:

When have the RPS comments become so negative? Not just criticism, however valid it might be, but just plain rude negativism.

• poop says:

it is a game pc gamers have wanted for ages and it is being taken away from us in favor of breaking into the illusive console fps market

• Dave L. says:

It’s hardly been ‘taken away from us,’ though. CCP has always said that Dust 514 was going to be for consoles.

And in the wake of Sony letting Valve do Steamworks on PS3, but MS doing no such thing for Xbox LIVE, it shouldn’t surprise anyone that Dust was going to end up a PS3 exclusive.

• Ovno says:

True but we’ve all been hoping they’d realise how stupid it a move it was to ban pc players (and the pc is the real home of the fps of course), from the new way of interacting with the eve universe.

• Reapy says:

Right, I read about dust 514 and thought it would be pretty awesome. I have been bored of generic FPS shoots for a while, but I would have given this one a good go just based alone on the fact it would have been driven forward by eve economy.

It probably would have depended on the implementation too, IE an eve player could just pay to make the fight overly one sided. Also over time if the FPS shoot was pretty generic no amount of good set up will make the game any more fun to play.

Still, it falling to consoles just really tossed it out the window for me to do anything but casually read news articles about it.

16. Rii says:

Oh wow. When I saw this headline on another site I thought it merely meant that PS3 was the only console platform the game was coming to. Y’know, like the ‘Minecraft is X360 exclusive!’ story also making the rounds. But this is something else entirely.

I’m not, nor have I ever been an EVE player, and heretofore have given little thought to Dust 514, but for those who have: I feel your pain.

17. Dave L. says:

It has much less to do with the micro-payment abilities of the PS3 versus the Xbox 360 then it does with Microsoft being utterly hostile to the level of interconnectivity between Eve and Dust that CCP is talking about. In the Sony presser the guy said that Dust is going to run on the exact same supercomputer shard server as Eve, and the trailer (and previous trailers) indicated that the space battles and the ground battles will actually interact with each other in real time (in the trailer from a few months back they showed an orbital strike from an Eve cruiser wiping out a chunk of the Dust 514 battlefield, in this one they show some sort of orbital defense beam blasting a ship out of orbit).

That literally can’t be done through Xbox LIVE. The cross-platform APIs for Xbox and GfWL were deprecated a long time ago, and asynchronous cross-platform data sharing requires an ass backwards dedicated server set-up and would STILL require CCP to staple some GfWL code into EVE, and I’d guess that sort of change to their networking code is impossible.

• Arglebargle says:

Yeah, I fully suspect that this is an issue with Microsoft and the GFWL horrorshow. It would be foolish, otherwise, to cut out the Xbox crowd. Given MS’s ‘helpfulness’ with PC gaming, this is not any sort of stretch.

Of course, it would also be foolish not to have this on the PC as well, but, hey…..

18. MultiVaC says:

Hey CCP, guess which platform is even better than the PS3 for online worlds and micro-payments? Hint: it’s the one you’re already using for your other persistent online game.

19. Falfa says:

I don’t own either console. I love EVE yet I don’t play it at the moment and overall find it difficult to approach. I’m forced to pay month payments yet I’m not willing to give my daily free hours single handedly to EVE. Therefore I’m mostly forced to modify my style to that.

I understand rant posts around this topic but lack of will to understand CCP decision is amazing me at the same time. Many of you have already pointed out multiple technical points but some of guys/girls are only seeing CCP so called desire to mock xbox owners. So silly.

20. UncleLou says:

Very surprising. Would have thought that exactly the opposite is the case. There’s (at least a little) less overlap between PCs and the PS3 than between PCs and the 360, and the PS3 is significantly stronger than the 360 in countries that generally favour the PC, like Germany.

21. Greg Wild says:

Grumble, grumble, grumble.

That is all.

22. BloodPukeSalvation says:

um… http://gamescom.gamespot.com/story/6215462/ccp-announces-console-based-eve-game

this game was announced nearly 2 years ago… and it was NEVER intended to be a PC title. Everyone out there who is mortified that this isnt gonna be on the PC should have done their homework beyond watching a trailer last year. If i remember correctly it was originally intended to be on the Xbox though.

I’m not a sony fan but also doubt i would have purchased an xbox (which will be pretty dated by dust’s release and only hold a year or two before the next MS console takes center stage) so its difficult for me to envision playing this. that being said, it seems the PS3 was the only choice they had given the restrictive online aspect of xbox.

• Koojav says:

It’s not like the PS3 won’t be outdated by that time :)

When Dust514 is released Sony will probably be announcing new generation of consoles too.

• BloodPukeSalvation says:

both MS and Sony have said their next gen consoles wont be released until 2014,15. At least they dont expect to. That gives the current gen 2-3 years of being on top.

What i meant was that im not a sony fan so buying PS3 isnt on my list at all and initially when the game was expected to be on xbox the thought to purchase the box for the game had crossed my mind but i doubt i would have done it simply because it would be near the end of its run and thus be a bad entertainment investment. the xbox is generally not the best buy as most posters have stated its the PS3 that has the never-gonna-be-on-anything-else games. just makes more sense to buy the ps3 not to mention it’s bluray functionality.

again, the only argument here that holds any value is in itself fairly moot. if MS wont let CCP envision their game the way they wish to on the xbox360 then they have no choice but to go with the PS3. I suppose we dont know the details but players should be happy that they dont have to pay for xbox live just play this game. but, as more recent times have shown, its also difficult to enjoy an MMO FPS if your console cant go online.

23. Baboonanza says:

RCS? Can you abbreviation an abbreviation?

Is it legal? Is it sane? Is it as ridiculous as creating a PS3 only game that intends to be a necessary part of a much more successful game on a completely different platform, many of whose players think that console players are retards? Is it? IS IT?

• MadMatty says:

Well, i quit EVE, but if i was a powerful long time player, i´d probably welcome the opportunity to send wave after wave of console players to their deaths :D

24. Kelduum Revaan says:

Wow, bittervet central here today…

25. soldant says:

On the plus side, this has finally encouraged me to take the 14 day trial of EVE Online to see if I like it. I was following this though (because it’s an interesting concept) and I seem to remember it always being a console game. I also remember people ranting and raving about how it’ll be awesome to kill little console ants from orbit or something.

26. Dominic White says:

As other people have pointed out, this is almost certainly due to Microsoft policies.

Microsoft actually changed their company line to block cross-platform play. It was once a much-touted feature, but now they won’t even let developers try it. Xbox Live is a closed circuit, and the only game that can be played outside of that loop is Final Fantasy 11.

Sony, on the other hand, have Steamworks and cross-platform worked out with Portal 2 just recently. I’d assume they’re much more open to the idea of a game like Dust 514.

Funny that Microsoft would be the one to block support of Windows gaming, but there you go.

27. buzzmong says:

The only problem with this is console gamers being a bit fickle and the death of the console.

EvE has persisted since it went live in 2003, it’s gone through some rather big graphical updates (currently going though engine updates in the form of Carbon) and it’s still going strong and doesn’t look bad at all on current hardware. Console games die off when the next generation comes out, PC persist due to the iterative nature of hardware.

Then back to the point of the fickle gamers. Even if Dust is F2P then I can’t see it garnering much long term support on the PS3 because as soon as the next big AAA shooter comes out people will be playing that instead.

CCP have also been quite quiet on how Dust interacts with the PI systems in EvE, I hope they haven’t banked on lots of players being a core part of their designs otherwise it might naff it up for the PC crew.

28. Nallen says:

I’ll play it. I mean, I have a PS3 and EVE so why not.

29. JohnnyMaverik says:

Dumb to not put it out for PC as well. This is all.

30. BAshment says:

“I’d like to see more PC games hiring console serfs to perform the blue collar jobs we don’t want to trouble ourselves with. I might be more interested in strategy games if someone on an Xbox is doing all the mining and building units, so I can get on with fighting stuff.”

with games like terraria and minecraft i think pc gamers are more likely to be doing the blue collar stuff.

31. stblr says:

Assuming the overlap between Eve players and PS3 owners who love blowing stuff up in a first-person manner is small, this is a pretty ingenius move on CCP’s part. I have to think that a big part of the reason they didn’t bring this to PC (which they are obviously in a position to do if they wanted to) is they didn’t want to cannibalize their playerbase.

As a PC gamer who doesn’t play Eve and is interested in Dust 514, it frustrates me. But I can’t argue with the logic.

32. Doomsayer says:

RPS, for great justice you should confront CCP with the fact that they just decided to alienate HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of PC gamers who would have purchased this game. There are many reasons for a company to expand to selling games on the consoles, but there is NO reason to not to also sell this game on the PC, especially with the huge potential playerbase they just abandoned. I would like nothing more than to read RPS say “What the Fuck are you thinking?”

• haiku says:

First of all, they can’t make a persistent MMOFPS like that accessible to both consoles and PC, because they need to separate players – mouse & kb input would utterly destroy console players. And sure, PS3 supports mouse & kb, but when a game would pretty much require those, it’s would probably be impossible for it to do well.

So they definitely do have reasons for their decision. One might argue that their strategy isn’t optimal, but then again, they probably have a lot more qualified people spending a lot more time making these decisions. Thinking they’re just somehow trying to screw with PC gamers for no reason is pretty ignorant.

• Doomsayer says:

“mouse & kb input would utterly destroy console players.” That has never been scientifically proven, and as far as I know there has been no real comparison that could even give demonstrable evidence for that. As much as players who play both console and pc can tell that one handles better than another, we don’t know that all console players will automatically be worse than pc players.

“Second reason – they don’t want to cannibalize their playerbase. The whole point of Dust is expanding their market, rather than offering a different product to the same people.” Releasing a new game will bring in many new players to both DUST 514 and EVE. It’s ludicrous to believe that EVE will suddenly be destabilized by players who suddenly abandon many years of effort forever to play another game. Many players would probably play both games, giving CCP more money. On the flipside, there are plenty of gamers who would only ever play one of the games or the other simply because they like/dislike the different gameplay.

“Thinking they’re just somehow trying to screw with PC gamers for no reason is pretty ignorant.” I don’t think they’re acting on some malicious intent, I think that they’ve made a stupid decision and they have not made public any good reasons for their decision. I also resent you implying that because they have professionals, they have magical untouchable wisdom that can’t be argued against because the plebeians are too ignorant to understand unless they agree completely and without thinking about it too hard.

Hear that? That’s the sound of me RIPPING YOUR ARGUMENT TO METAPHORICAL SHREDS with my OVERPOWERED COUNTER ARGUMENTS! That other sound you hear is the sound of almost noone reading this comment because it’s been posted so late after the article was. Meh.

Wait, I just found an even better super-argument: Gabe Newel’s GDC 2010 speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XEXLhGir3s RPS, if you do read this, please take note. Gabe totally says some stuff in general that generally means stuff. (Eventually, he says alot of other stuff too) FOR TRUTH, JUSTICE, AND THE INTERNET WAY! EXCELCIOR! (Now I’m just being silly)

EDIT: Note to self: Must condense arguments. (uh, whoops?)

33. Derpentine says:

I was the one that leaked the initial stuff to kotaku and a few guys in #e-o on coldfront about this on Thursday.

Anyhoo, the choice was made quite recently – Less than two months ago, it’s mostly related to Microsoft not wanting to deal with their need to constantly use small patches as well as how the asian market has trouble paying XBL subs and how MS would likely want a cut in the itemstore, since CCP are going to use Aurum to avoid $ payments.

If you want to know more, look up CCP Horace’s twitter account and get google translate out (or a friendly chink in my case), there’s a lot of really derpy stuff to read, but you’ll understand just how little they actually know about what they’re doing. CCP’s internal mismanagement is pretty amazing to see, but this is a new level of bad.

34. vodkarn says:

I’m actually kind of amused by this in a sort of ‘overview’ sort of way – we elitist PC gamers are now the big Brothers to console gamers, who have to toil on the ground with the scraps we give them to survive.

It seems like a critique on gaming, and the people on each platform, in general, to me.

35. UtopiaBorderPatrol says:

“A single bullet fired on the planet below can pivot the balance of power in EVE Online. Every action has consequences, and every reaction has the potential to topple empires.”
    Sure, if that really works I don’t want to be a Dust grunt on a planet hit by a whole Maelstromblob volley.
    OH GOD I AM MELTING IT EVEN SET MY PS3 ON FIRE! :CCP:

• Stick says:

Nevermind en-masse battleships, I have a Rifter. Yeah, the guns are “small” but you know what it says on this box of ammo? “FUSION.”

36. apa says:

someone on an Xbox is doing all the mining and building
    You know, someone will. Minecraft on Xbox… ;-)

37. Synchrony says:

I’m disappointed by this, but only because I have an xbox. The console only decision is obviously so all the existing eve players don’t drop eve to play dust, but they’ve been saying this since dust was first announced

• Doomsayer says:

That’s a total bullshit reason. Releasing a new game will bring in many new players to both DUST 514 and EVE. It’s ludicrous to believe that EVE will suddenly be destabilized by players who suddenly abandon many years of effort forever to play another game. Many players would probably play both games, giving CCP more money, and there are plenty of gamers who would only ever play one of the games or the other simply because they like/dislike the different gameplay.

38. Ganj says:

Eve doesn’t interest me, Dust even less so. However, if you’re talking to CCP, poke them about World of Darkness!

39. Qazi says:

Are you all considering the consequences of having PS3 and PC gamers working together on the same FPS battlefield while crying out for a PC version of DUST 514?

40. Iskariot says:

I was already thinking about letting go off EVE. This decision to make Dust514 ps3 exclusive only confirms it. Bye-bye Eve…

41. Daniel Klein says:

I’m skeptical if this will work, but if it will: oh my, oh my. CCP are doing *interesting* things, and all the “OMG it’s ps3 only!” whine is totally missing the point. I don’t believe this sort of interconnection between two totally different games has ever been tried before? Someone correct me if I’m wrong. It sets my nerdy heart aflutter. How about a long-form grand strategy multiplayer game where the emerging world of alliances and wars and betrayals directly informs an MMO set in the same world? A football manager game where the actual matches (or some of them) are played by completely different players in a FIFA-like game? A gratuitous space battles-like ship builder and order giving game played in your browser where the fleets and strategy are handed off to the next available group of players in a multiplayer Wing Commander-like game?

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m quite excited. I won’t be playing either game (have resisted the call of EVE for too long to give in now and my PS3 hasn’t been hooked up to a TV in about two years now), but I’m watching with keen interest.