The Fifth ‘Man: Hitman Absolution CG Spot

By Alec Meer on June 7th, 2011 at 11:26 am.

Maybe he should have dressed up as a pillar. It's probably easier than climbing all that way up one.

Edit- The trailer is no more. For now, anyway. Sorta-explanation below.

We’re still agonisingly denied a look at Hitman 5, aka Hitman: Absolution, aka Hitman: Subtitle in as-it-plays action, but at least we’ve got some raaaawk-soundtracked, stylised pre-rendered kill sequences and scene-setting to stare at. It also features a sort-of naked lady, but you can’t really see anything, but if you’re reading this in a place where an image of a sort-of naked lady but of whom you can’t really see anything would cause you trouble, like a nunnery or on a projector in a primary school classroom, you probably shouldn’t carry on.

Update: Right, so this one has had to disappear for the time being. Sorry! Here’s what a Square-Enix spokesperson had to say about our man of the shadows creeping back into the shadows:

“For many years people think they have seen agent 47 in public only for him to disappear from view, slipping past people like a ghost. The only person who decides when 47 will be seen is the man himself. But the rumour is he will appear at 10.47am L.A time on Wednesday.”

There’s probably some sort of hidden message in there. What could it mean?

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. p34ce says:

Someone isn’t getting a Silent Assassin rating.

The woman is the voice that tells you who to murder in the previous games.

• Alexander Norris says:

The woman is Diana, yeah. Whether that means you’re trying to kill her or just rescued her from her captors, who knows? Not that I ever played Hitman for the plot…

I wonder if this means there’ll be a lot more fistfighting/mêlée combat in this one. It always struck me as a little odd that no one ever tried to take a swing at you at point-blank ranges in the previous games, and that you didn’t seem to be able to do anything except press a button to syringe/garrotte people.

• The Sombrero Kid says:

to my memory she betrayed you in the last game & this game you’re out to give her absolution geddit?

• QuantaCat says:

Ahh but she didnt. She had to give you up, but made sure you could revive yourself in order to get rid of whomever was behind all of it.

• Mike says:

(spoilers!)

No, she didn’t betray you. The syringe thing was for your own safety, so she could revive you at the funeral and you could take out the guys tracking you down.

• Wunce says:

Well I was ninja’d. I would like the game to have better action as portrayed in the video so long as the stealth aspects are kept the same (or better).

• The Sombrero Kid says:

right enough, but i’m still pretty sure absolving her is the plot of this one.

• Optimaximal says:

Something tells me Sombrero Kid just sat there, watching Agent 47 be incinerated at the end of Blood Money…

• Mike says:

I’d absolve her, etc.

• jezcentral says:

I would count tranqing you, and leaving you comatose in a room of armed killers, locking the doors behind her as she left, a betrayal. She just wanted everyone dead, so she could get away. She didn’t exactly stay to help, did she? I think people who think that this was somehow saving 47 have had their world view warped by the quick-load button. :) I call that betrayal, and hope I get to track her down.

• Ian says:

@ Alexander: Weren’t there melee takedowns in Blood Money? I’m sure I remember moseying up to people who didn’t know I was a bad’un before nutting them in the face, nicking their clothes and locking them in a cupboard.

• heretic says:

@jezcentral did you also do nothing and leave 47 to be incinerated at the end of BM?

@Ian indeed there was and actually guards did hit you with the butt of their gun if you got too close. The only thing is that it was a bit boring, always headbutt + jab jab uppercut, no variety.

• Jesse L says:

@jezcentral
      It was implied that tranqing Hitman in his den was the only way to get him out alive. Then she went to all the effort to disguise herself as a nurse, wake 47 up, and give him his guns back. Come on dude, you’re reaching.

• jezcentral says:

@heretic
      Clearly not, otherwise I would be raging “47 ALIVE????? WTF???!!!!”

@Jesse L
      Nah, she was already acting the role of the nurse.

More importantly, she led the bad guys to 47 in the first place, as it was “the only way” to save her own skin. I’m sure she wanted 47 to survive, and kill the others, but she put him in danger to do it and the way she went about it woudln’t have pleased 47 at all. As an omniscient, omnipotent player with a quickload button, I think it’s a great plan. As a mortal character in a game, however, it sucks donkey-balls.

2. JackShandy says:

Good to see snakes with guns are confirmed.

3. Kollega says:

Where have the “Hitman: Subtitle” tags gone? I am disappoint that this meme isn’t getting perpetuated.

4. CaspianRoach says:

Ginger women! Day 1 purchase!

5. Teddy Leach says:

That voice could possibly have been Diana. But I’m hungover, so it could be Jack Dee for all I know.

6. Nathan_G says:

Is the snake a playable character?

• Avenger says:

It is probably playable as a weapon. Like the badger from Postal series.

That last shot is probably a shot from the weapon selection screen, specifically the option “dual wield, snake+pistol”

It makes more sense than Max Payne’s new “suppressed pistol + smg” combo

• Karmafull says:

The snake will be a playable character in the DLC.

Hitman Cobracts is my guess…

• Magrippinho says:

How about THE Snake? That would be a fun cameo/crossover, so long as Hideo Kojima has absolutely nothing to do with the story.

7. Binman88 says:

First I thought she said “What is it?”, but then realised that’s stupid and she’s actually saying “Forty seven”. That’s gotta be Diana surely?
    “Who’s the lady? She seems to know him. And is he killing her, rescuing her or recruiting her? Or just having a bit of a perv?”
    But I also wouldn’t put “having a bit of a perv” past our baldy friend. In the second Hitman game, I remember Agent 47 running around hotels and bathrooms in a chef’s uniform, while dragging half naked men and women by their feet in some kind of crazed genetically-modified fantasy frenzy.

8. skyturnedred says:

That was rather…actiony. Hope this isn’t an indication of where the series is heading, I like my assassinations silent.

9. Inigo says:

First of all, the casual mode. It’s called “Instinct” and can be turned off on higher difficulties.
    Advantages the “Instinct” mode will bring:
    - X-Ray vision
    - Orange glow highlights position and routes of nearby NPC’s
    - Highlights usable objects, special actions
    - Enhances certain abilities (for example makes it harder for enemies to see through disguises)
    - (the german authors speculating) maybe bullettime during shootouts
    Using Instinct costs energy that can be replenished by performing “Hitman” actions like stealth killing foes.

Oh dear.

• JackShandy says:

Erm: “Can be turned off on higher difficulties.” I don’t see how this can be a problem, unless you’re allergic to options.

• John Connor says:

This is not much different to the graduated assists in Blood Money, the higher the difficulty the more of them are turned off…

• sdtipps says:

My question is when did “instinct” come to mean that objects glow all orangey? First Tomb Raider, now this? Is this what E3 is telling us will be the next big weird thing about video games? And if this is going to become standard practice, then will it make it’s way into the sort of game Leigh Alexander spends a good amount of time reviewing? Because if so I think I might have a stoke laughing at the first screenshot.

• heretic says:

Actually I wish there was more of these points of information on the maps. When you’re playing it again it’s always nice to see objects / actions you missed the first time around.

10. Inigo says:

A rampaging horde of options burned down my humble peasant village.
    REPLY BUTTON Y U NO WORK

11. Quilty says:

Hitman: Ablutions, surely?

12. Ian says:

Hm. Video not working for me. :(

13. woodsey says:

So he beats the living shit out of absolutely everyone, and THEN he pulls out the silenced pistol?

Seems he’s lost his genetically-modified mind.

14. Shadowreaper1989 says:

Who says it 47? in the video

15. spongthe1st says:

One of the main things I had hoped for since the last Hitman game was a more extensive set of non-weapon based combat, both in stealth and for when it gets messy.

I’m not worried that the emphasis may have gone off stealth, I don’t think this is likely, but I like the idea that when the excrement hits the turbine you have more options.
    I always thought it was odd that this elite assassin couldn’t do any unarmed and improvised fighting techniques like what we’re seeing in this trailer, especially given some of the series came out around the same time as things like the Bourne film trilogy where that was emphasised as a big feature of the trained assassin characters.

Even something as simple as what Sam Fisher could do in Chaos Theory of quickly knocking out or stabbing people who discover you, would be a step in the right direction.

16. Koozer says:

I look forward to drowning people and using a fancy schmancy glass cutting thingie.

And in the game.

17. Radiant says:

The headlines after that job are going to be atrocious!

Should read:

Massive series of unconnected random accidents claim dozens of employees lives in woodland prison mansion. No witnesses.

Instead we now have:

Psychopathic former employee storms woodland prison mansion, kills dozens of armed mercenaries with his bare hands before realising he brought a silenced handgun. Witness describes him as “a bit of a perv”.

18. Sajmn says:

Hitman: (Very late) Abortions

19. Jesse L says:

The preview at Eurogamer describes a more action-oriented Hitman game, in the vein of the most recent Splinter Cell. The demo player apparently murdered a bunch of cops on the way to his target, and while it’s not clear whether those kills were optional, it doesn’t sound like the kind of blend-in-and-stalk-the-target scenario that the series has always been about. It sounds more like Splinter Cell, where you sneak around and kill dudes. Although putting on a cop outfit is also mentioned. I wouldn’t count this one out yet, but it’s worrying. Hitman has formerly occupied a genre almost entirely on its own, and it would be a shame to see it leave this niche that so many people enjoy, and can’t experience anywhere else.

• Radiant says:

I literally killed trucks full of guys in Splinter cell.*
      In Hitman I want to spend 3 hours at someone’s wedding before I kill the groom and make it look like an accident.

*They jumped out of a couple of trucks and I killt them.

• spongthe1st says:

Provided stealth is the focus I’ll be more or less happy with whatever they do.

However, I’ve played every Hitman game in the series and having done so has generated this idea in my head of what I think would be the perfect Hitman game.

- I’d like to see a move away from story, plot and narrative towards a more literal interpretation of the hired killer. It’d be great if it were a bit like Syndicate, in that there were a number of missions across a map of the world and you could pick and choose which ‘contracts’ to take, where and when. Then perhaps you could receive a brief and/or intel file, you could formulate your own plan, reconnoiter a location from a list of possible locations the target frequents, carry out surveillance, then stash weapons/equipment/devices at the location. You go back, carry out the hit, if necessary clean up, and then leave.

Missions could vary in having more or less preparation time, perhaps in some cases virtually none to give a challenge.

*When I say ‘clean up’ I mean literally that, I think things such as bullet casings should count as evidence, you could be able to recover them, heck at close ranges you could hold your pistol inside a plastic bag to assassinate, zip it up and take it away – casings, deposits and all – see Mr Smith with Kevin Costner. Further to this, killing is messy, blood pools and trails should have more impact on gameplay and you could clean these up with a rag to prevent a body from being discovered.

- A diverse range of firearms in the game, all of which are customisable, you can purchase them from a dealer in the same control interface where you accept and plan contracts. They can also be dropped by enemies but on the whole these are non-customised versions which you can then modify when you take them back to your hideout. I think the game should allow players to develop their own preferred arsenal and techniques, or to allow them more flexibility for the more complex missions. There should be more options for carrying weapons in concealed cases than just the sniper rifle.

- More close range fighting techniques for when you get rumbled or things go awry, allowing you to retake control of the situation, if someone stumbles upon you very close up you should be able to snap their neck quickly and stuff them into a cupboard, or something. A more involved melee system for situations where your bungled attempt to subdue an enemy fails. Krav Maga and Keysi fighting would be great like from the Bourne series, Taken and Batman Begins. Improvised fighting with objects such as the bust in the video, and knife fighting too for when you’re sneaking up on someone with a blade and they spot you.

- Sniping should be more viable than in Blood Money. I remember the joy of discovering in Contracts that two missions allowed you to snipe the main target from the start location if you were observant enough. The sniper perches and the range covered by maps in Blood Money felt limiting, I would like to see a more organic approach meaning that if you’re clever enough you can get to some very interesting places and snipe from virtually anywhere if you are capable of wangling it without being noticed. Also I was irritated by the fact that on some levels of Blood Money if you sniped the target with a silenced rifle everyone somehow knew where you were immediately.

I could go on but those features alone would make a future Hitman game unbelievably awesome IMO.

A man can dream I suppose :)

• DrGonzo says:

I agree, that would be a fantastic Hitman game and is the kinda thing I was hoping this game would finally be.

But, wouldn’t the plastic bag melt when the bullet casings fly into it thus ruining the point of using it in the first place?