LoTRO’s Third Expansion Detailed, Trailered

By Quintin Smith on June 7th, 2011 at 4:51 pm.

hi

MMORPG Lord of the Rings Online may have gone free to play, but that doesn’t mean Turbine have to stop making pay-for expansion packs. The third, Rise of Isengard, now has a date- September 27th. It’ll bring with it three new areas (Isengard, Dunlan and the Gap of Rohan), a level cap increase up to 75, a new 24 player raid and more.

I’m continually impressed by the deviousness of games developers. Check this out: As an extra bonus if you buy Rise of Isengard now, you’re immediately granted access to in-game benefits ranging from a 25% XP boost to new mounts. Genius. I’m also not sure I’ve ever seen Base, Heroic and Legendary editions of an expansion pack before. A trailer as well as a full list of both Rise of Isengard’s features and the pre-order benefits awaits after the jump.

“Our journey through Middle-earth is now taking us to one of its most iconic locations,” said Aaron Campbell, Producer of The Lord of the Rings Online, Turbine. “The new regions are going to be truly epic in scale, story, and challenge. In addition to the wealth of features and content coming in September, players who pre-purchase the expansion will be able to use their bonus items immediately as they prepare for the launch of Rise of Isengard.”

THE LORD OF THE RINGS ONLINE: RISE OF ISENGARD FEATURES:

Explore Three New Regions! — The time has come for you to turn eastward, toward the vale of Isengard. Where ancient forests once flourished, a corrupted waste of metal and wheels suffers under the thrall of the traitorous wizard Saruman. Here, in the shadows of the tower of Orthanc, gathers an army of Orcs and Uruk-hai, toiling to make ready for war. Forge ahead into these devastated lands and uncover new quests, skills, and traits as you strive to thwart Saruman’s ambition.

* Dunland – Adventure amidst the bright forests in the foothills of the southern Misty Mountains. Beware the Dunland Clans, rugged warriors tempted by the dark promise of power.
* Gap of Rohan – Battle over the legendary pass between Eriador and the plane of Rohan. This key strategic point must be defended against the ambitions of Sauron.
* Isengard – Explore Orthanc, one of the iconic Two Towers as it rises over the once beautiful Isengard valley. The once beautiful vale now desecrated beyond imagination by the Wizard Saruman the betrayer.

Advance to Level 75!

* Face new challenges and continue to forge your own legend in Middle-earth with all-new epic quests, skills, and deeds as you fight new enemies on your journey level 75!

Master the Legendary New 24-Player Raid!

* Face the ancient evil of Draigoch, one of the most powerful creatures in Middle-earth! Prepare for the ultimate challenge where nothing less than the strength of an entire force of 24 heroes stands the chance of victory.

Starting today, players can take can take advantage of three special pre-purchase offers to celebrate the release of the third major expansion to LOTRO:

Rise of Isengard Base Edition – Includes the full Rise of Isengard expansion plus:

* Steed of the Gap, a new in-game mount with matching red cosmetic cloak for every character on your account
* In-game title – Guard of the Isen
* 25% XP boost for all characters on an account up to level 65

Rise of Isengard Heroic Edition – Includes the full Rise of Isengard expansion plus:

* 1,000 Turbine Points for use in the LOTRO Store
* Steed of the Gap, a new in-game mount with choice of matching cosmetic cloak and armor in your choice of red, white or green for every character on your account
* In-game title – Guard of the Isen
* 25% XP boost for all characters on an account up to level 65

Rise of Isengard Legendary Edition – Includes the full Rise of Isengard expansion plus:

* 1,000 Turbine Points for use in the LOTRO Store
* All three Steeds of the Gap, new in-game mounts with matching cosmetic cloak and armor in all three colors for every character on your account
* In-game title – Guard of the Isen
* 25% XP boost for all characters on an account up to level 65
* Access to the Path of the Fellowship Quest Packs including Trollshaws, Eregion, Moria, Lothlorien and Mirkwood

Players will have access to all of the bonus items including the new mount, cosmetic cloak and armor, in-game title and XP boost immediately after purchase. The Rise of Isengard expansion itself will be available to play on September 27, 2011. These special offers will only be available for a limited time.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Vexing Vision says:

I think you can strike that Codemasters tag.

/Evil glee

2. Jumwa says:

I realize such cinematic trailers really matter little, but this one wasn’t terribly impressive. It looked like some FMV from a game going on nearly ten years old.

Also, why must I always feel the pang to want to return to LotRO? That game always very-nearly compels me back. Stop that, it’s frustrating. I’m happier without committing so much time to a MMO.

3. Valvarexart says:

I do hope they are not taking any hobbits there…

4. Frakattack says:

That image of Christopher Lee made me giggle like an adolescent school girl, and I’m proud to admit it.

• Jesse L says:

Excellent header. Props.

I tried LoTRO and D&D Online back to back recently and found, at least in the first five hours, that LoTRO is like walking back and forth over a field many times at the beck and call of is-this-really-supposed-to-be-Aragorn, and DDO is like adventuring in a bunch of tombs and dungeons, some of which even have puzzles. And the voice-over dungeon master is ace. And OMG, if it has quest markers I don’t know where they are, and I love that! Also the NPCs have pretty decent cute dialogue, and the inns have inn-appropriate music. It’s much more fun than LoTRO. No pipe smoking animation, though, sadly. Of course almost anything is more fun than an MMO, but if you have to play one (I was looking for something to play online with a friend) and you don’t want to pay for it, at least try DDO.

• Torgen says:

I think of all the MMO combat systems I’ve tried, I like DDO’s the best. Out of the just “general art quality/look of the world,” I think I like LOTR the best.

I think DDO shot themselves in the foot going with the whatchacallit setting, with the Warforged, instead of something like the classic Greyhawk.

• Dominic White says:

Yes, because we need another generic Tolkien-esque fantasy MMO with no unique or defining elements. Having sentient war-golems, robots, gadgets, magic technology and other such things in a jungle-wreathed setting is far more interesting.

5. The Army of None says:

Oh, Staring Eyes tag, how I’ve missed you.

6. pizzapicante27 says:

This game is good but ironically if youre a free user it is insanelly expensive.

7. Antsy says:

Saruman woz ‘ere

8. aircool says:

Bloody Hell… I haven’t even finished the first part yet…

9. Sweedums says:

0:44 reminds me of Jeremy Clarkson.

POWER!

10. Ganj says:

Seems you can’t order with turbine points via the in-game store. At least not yet. :P

11. timmyvos says:

No Helms Deep and Edoras. What a shame.

12. NthDegree256 says:

Rise of Isengard! RISENGARD.

13. GCU Speak Softly says:

The pre-order goodies are causing something of a meltdown on the LotRO forums at the moment. Seems that not being able to buy pre-orders with Turbine Points breaches some divine right to content / entitlement.

14. darkrenown says:

although the legendary edition is $50, if you haven’t got the quest packs that it bundles with it you get your money on the quest packs alone (price was checked it dollars since I play on the US servers)

edit: however, if you choose to pay in the great british pounds, $50 is changed to £40 (about $65)

Comment on this story