Trundle In The Jungle: Far Cry 3 Footage

By Quintin Smith on June 7th, 2011 at 10:21 am.

Is he showing off his war wound?

A body of Far Cry 3 details and footage has come bubbling to the surface of E3 like a bullet-riddled corpse in a greasy river. Since I was encouraging you lot to buy Far Cry 2 not two weeks ago, you’d think I’d be pumped as hard and tight as a tire about Far Cry 3. But I’m not, really. Come take a look for yourself. It looks great, but it doesn’t look like it has the same will to break new ground.

All of the following is cheerily pinched from CVG. I’ve summarised their lengthy preview below, or you can read it in full here. After my summary you’ll find their video showing an interview and plenty of footage.

• It’s set on a lush tropical island, a la Far Cry 1.
  • The aggressive AI is toned way down.
  • There’ll be fast travel to nip around the world. Course, Far Cry 2 technically had fast travel. Ah, happy memories of fleeing goons to get to the local bus station.
  • The jungle will be full of animals and you will, from time to time, be expected to “deal with them”.
  • Weapon degredation is gone.
  • It will be gory.
  • It’ll be more bombastic in general.

Hmm. Far Cry 1 and 2 were both games defined by their desperation to innovate, and provided an FPS that was like nothing we’d ever played before. This looks a little more pedestrian. Gorgeous, yes, but less exciting from a design perspective. On the other hand, this looks purpose-built to please any of you lot who were frustrated with Far Cry 2. Swings and roundabouts.

, , , .

1. subedii says:

I’ve never understood term “Swings and Roundabouts”. I understand it’s used to describe a win-some lose-some situation, but what’s the actual source of the phrase?

• magnus says:

Well, it makes more sense than ‘Kind words butter no parsnips’.

• NR says:

From a quick google search, I got this:

SWINGS AND ROUNDABOUTS: This is a shortened version of the fairground proverb ‘What you lose on the swings you win on the roundabouts’, current from the beginning of the twentieth century in various forms. It is used to mean that things will balance out in the end.

It’s from internet men, so make of it what you will, but it sounds plausible.

Ridiculous Human says:

A catchphrase originating in fairground language, the full expression is what you lose on the swings you gain on the roundabouts. It is an optimistic assertion that, all things considered, matters tend to turn out satisfactorily if you take the rough with the smooth. Swings go up and down, and roundabouts go round and round, but taken both together they add up to the same thing – a way of giving amusement and making a living.

And that’s some quality learnin’ to start the day.

• MonolithicTentacledAbomination says:

Huh, I always figured swings and roundabouts was somehow referring to car racing. I know roundabouts are a thing in the UK.

• woodsey says:

Until about 30 seconds ago I always thought it was “swings in roundabouts”. Which still makes more sense to me.

• Inph says:

I’d like to see someone implement roundabouts in a formula 1 circuit

2. DanPryce says:

Looks pretty good. This is a generic post to cover up a fail.

• coldvvvave says:

Far Cry 2 looked good too, then it turned out not so good.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Fiddletwat! Far Cry 2 was awesome. Yeah, it was repetitive, but I’m willing to cut major slack to any game that gives the player that degree of freedom and focuses so much on immersion.

• Sire says:

I loved both FarCry 1 and 2, but I actually think everything he says makes sense. FarCry 2 was kind of punishing the player at times. It’s possible to make a challenging game without being annoying. Let’s hope the details don’t mean they scale down on the open world.

3. Kamikaze-X says:

that is clearly CryEngine. I’m almost certain.

• kataras says:

Yeah it does remind me as well of Crysis and the Cryengine. Looks impressive but not very interesting. You could always buy Xenus 2 and have fun with the bugs/ poor translation and the open world. Or mod STALKER and burn countless hours…

lurkalisk says:

Yeah, I didn’t notice any of the various qualities or (more importantly) oddities from Far Cry 2. The Dunia engine, or some variant thereof, is CLEARLY not being used here. Definitely not. No chance…

SARCASM!

Man Raised by Puffins says:

It’s Dunia.

• Aemony says:

The Dunia Engine which was used in Far Cry 2 was a heavily modified version of CryEngine. Just sayin’…

• Tom says:

what?!

El_MUERkO says:

It’s Dunia. Dunia has nothing to do with the Far Cry engine.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Dunia most definitely does have some Cryengine in it. But it has a lot of non-Cryengine in it as well.

• nafe says:

This makes me happy. The Dunia engine performed beautifully and looked pretty damn good. Hope the same will be the case here, my e6600 and gtx260 is feeling its age :\.

Anthile says:

Wow.

5. gorgol says:

A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A….

Pffft.

Can you say dumbed down and consolified? I can. *Cue console fanbois and ipad hipsters ragin’ at me for telling it like it is*.

• WaveOfMutilation says:

Far Cry 2 struck me as consolified and dumbed down version of the Stalker experience.

• thebigJ_A says:

Could’ve sworn I played Farcry 2 on my 360…

Oh wait, I must be a, ahem, “fanboi”.

What are you, twelve?

• gorgol says:

I haven’t tried Stalker yet, but its on my to try list, however when I do I will probably agree with you. Far Cry 2 was allright, but it was a bit shallow for my tastes and therefore not very engaging.

The Far Cry devs were probably faced with a choice: either improve on FC2 or make it simpler and easier to try and capture the players who thought FC2 was too difficult. As with most devs they seem to have taken the easier option.

bigJ, you’re a retarded strawman, shoo. And yeah, a console fanboi. EDIT: Also, A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A…

• JackShandy says:

I think you’re crazy, and my iPad agrees with me.

• Dhatz says:

far cry didnt tell us what it wanted to be before we downloaded and deleted it unsatisfied for being bored.

• Robert says:

Not sure if serious…

To me Far Cry itself is a dumbed down FPS, except that it looks prettier then consoles can handle.

Not to say it can’t be fun or anything, but it does sound as silly as saying that the Wii dumbed down Mario games.

• Davie says:

,,,iPad hipsters? Really? Where do you live that they are a vocal party in the debate about console simplification?

• Navagon says:

If developers insist on putting in so many cut scenes to constantly ensure that you’re disconnected from the action then the least they could do is to leave them as cut scenes rather than this quasi-interactive button mashing bullshit. Button mashing wasn’t gameplay on the C64 and it sure as shit hasn’t matured like a fine wine over the years.

6. Inigo says:

At least this new antagonist has better elocution than The Jackal.

• Moni says:

I quite liked the fast talking, especially since everyone seemed to have quite a lot to say.

• Inigo says:

Everyone fast-talked. The Jackal fast-mumbled.
      And I’m going to be really disappointed if nobody calls me “china” in FC3.

• Urthman says:

And the game also scored massive points for the female “buddy” characters who were not sex objects, not damsels in distress, not overly dramatic, and not there to be romanced by the player character.

• James T says:

“I loved the fast talking in Far Cry 2. I thought it was a vast improvement over the C-grade voice overacting you get in most games.”

A ‘vast improvement’ to where? No-one spoke at anything approaching a natural, convincing pace in Far Cry 2, it sounded like someone was holding a “speed-read the phone book” competition. I haven’t actually heard any other VA fail in quite the same way; FC2 carves its own niche into the edifice of bad videogame voice-acting.

7. GreatUncleBaal says:

I had some great Apocalypse Now-themed moments in Far Cry 2, lazily swimming upriver at sunset to sneak into a village and kill a target, with “The End” playing in the background. Also loved the frantic firefights with the enemy jabbering away in the village trying to find you. This looks like it has the potential for more of the same, so good stuff.
    Not sure about the fast travel, if they mean in terms of “go from anywhere to anywhere” – yes, it’s convenient, but I think it diminishes open-world games somewhat. The bus stop idea in Far Cry 2 seemed ok to me, although perhaps they were a little too rare. The main problem Far Cry 2 had with travel was that every fucker shot at you every time you passed through a village or outpost, which is what made exploring a bit of a chore.
    I hope they don’t overdo the mad boss bloke character they so obviously are very proud of – I can see him becoming irritating quickly, and you probably won’t get the satisfaction of just shooting him until the endgame.

• battles_atlas says:

That’s what caught my hopeful ear about this – I hated the relentless aggression of FC2′s AI. They created a beautiful world and made it an absolute pain in the arse to explore

Chaz says:

Yeah I really enjoyed FC2 as well. The constant check point respawns and the over agressive AI were a pain but I felt they were tempered some what due to the combat itself being actually very good. The enemy jeeps and cars that streaked across the map at you like they had a rocket strapped to the back were just too silly though. Why they couldn’t have just travelled at a top speed that was relative to your own, I don’t know.

• steviesteveo says:

I was reasonably ok with sneaking up to checkpoints, throw a grenade at the ammo pile or something and maybe picking off the survivors but the trucks were annoying — especially in the later acts when they get instakill grenade launchers.

• Ringwraith says:

Although it’s so immensely satisfying to use those grenade launchers yourself.
      Certainly makes encounters a lot briefer.

8. MrCraigL says:

Looks great. Excited. But please, please please please, Ubisoft, get rid of the XP popup when someone gets killed and the bright glow on stuff you can pick up.

Part of what I loved about FC2 was having an extremely minimal – mostly invisible HUD, have more of that.

• Inigo says:

Far Cry 2 had glowing items as well, you know.

• Dhatz says:

uuuu know Deus Ex 3 has “when aimed” and switchable highlights because uuu can download the preview off tpb? HUD is not a bad thing if its useful, but yes, xp popup is soo rpgfpsy.

• MrCraigL says:

yeah – I’m not saying it isn’t in other games (FC2 included), and I’d rather it wasn’t there either.

You can turn it off for DE3 right?

• Inigo says:

It can be turned off in the options, and it’s off by default on Deus Ex difficulty.

• Donjonson says:

Apparently you can turn it off in DE3 but it sort of makes sense in that, seeing as it’s set in the future with all your augmentation and that. I’d prefer to not see it in Far Cry 2 or 3… this looks like it could be interesting but it probably won’t… The problem in Far Cry 2 of constant aggression from the many enemies wasn’t that it made it too difficult, it just became incredibly tedious… that said, I mostly enjoyed it, just a shame it could have been so much more and wasn’t…

9. Grinnbarr says:

Sadface. I liked the weapon degradation and the brutal realism in Far Cry 2. I guess this game looks OK but… XP? Really?

• Wunce says:

I second this. Experience is a very stupid thing in my opinion because I thought there was that natural idea in a game that the more you play, the better you get.

Is there a particular reason why any games put in experience? I always thought it was a cheap mechanism to create an addictive and ‘rewarding’ game.

• mwoody says:

Well, Witcher 2 did that to a point: Geralt definitely gets slightly better with skills and abilities and items, but 90% of the combat difficulty is about the player learning how to fight. And people whined about it CONSTANTLY for weeks.

Granted, CDProjekt deserved a lot of it – the tutorial tips were poorly implemented, and being able to skip part of the first chapter by selecting a single wrong dialogue choice was astoundingly silly – but nevertheless, it still chafes to see how many people got annoyed at a game that expected YOU to get better rather than just the character.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

90% of the combat difficulty is about the player learning how to fight

I imagine some people expected a game advertised as an RPG to be more than 10% RPG, not 90% action.

Joshua says:

@ the guy above.

The same was true for Baldur’s gate and stuff. You’d have to use tactics in order to win. NO way of your character becoming an invincible behemoth.

• DigitalSignalX says:

I despised the weapon degradation aspect of FC2. That and the intersection respawns were so irritating. I can completely understand a lesser quality weapon jamming every 3-4 clips sure. But to have it literally fall apart in your hands is silly in the extreme. AK47′s can be fired almost endlessly while covered in mud, sand and grime. MP5′s are incredibly reliable as well.

10. Fathom says:

This looks really good and I’m really bloody tired of RPS finding a way to put a negative spin on all the great looking new game footage coming out of E3. Both this year’s and last.

• gorgol says:

PCGamer is that way ->

• Nevard says:

If they only said good things and told us that everything was wonderful this would be a pretty useless website

• Pathetic Phallacy says:

Really? That’s what you hate?

I’ll tell you what I hate. I hate when game sites clog their sites with endless previews of games and hand-on experiences that all involve the critic being blown away and amazed by the game. Then, all of a sudden, when the game is actually released, it turns out the critic thinks its a giant piece of shit.

Stay real, RPS.

Sinomatic says:

“Gorgeous, yes, but less exciting from a design perspective. On the other hand, this looks purpose-built to please any of you lot who were frustrated with Far Cry 2. Swings and roundabouts.”

Saying that something appears less innovative than its predecessors yet may be less frustrating for it? Not really all that negative.

11. Pemptus says:

“Jason is a character just like you”. I’m pretty sure I can’t steal a guy’s knife, stab his throat and immediately throw the knife at another guy. That was pretty cool, if automatised.

12. Dhatz says:

SHITTY unrealistic water! wth happened every game fails so drastically after crysis. dirt3 has sucky water too(yes it is reactive, but thre graphics are 2004ish).

• Nevard says:

To be honest I’ve never really understood why people get so excited about water realism.
      Water generally isn’t a fun game concept! You stand in it, it makes you walk slower and if you go too deep you drown after a while. Except in games with boats it is rarely very important, and even then I’m sure the actual act of boat driving is made no less fun by the fact that the ripples aren’t rendered with 100% scientific accuracy.

• Urael says:

I’ll take a stab at answering that.

Personally speaking, it’s because back in the early nineties I was able to play Midwinter 2, Flames of Freedom which, with only a tiny polygon budget to hand, gave us water that simulated waves rather smartly and also made a convincing attempt of lapping at a shoreline. Add in a medium quality audio sample of water doing just that, back and forth, and you had a great illusion for the time.

With the advent of graphics cards people forgot about making water behave like water and simply made that flat, unresponsive surface look nice through animation and shader effects. Only the GTA series stands out in this regard. Oh, and the recent Hydrophobia.

Given the fetishistic attention that is lavished on gun physics and bullet trajectories it seems ironic – and moronic – that water, a substance we all encounter on a daily basis, somewhat integral to our sense of place, is so often treated like an afterthought. I’ve long said that Minecraft’s illogical implementation of it was more absurd because sense of place is one of that game’s main features. Thank the stars for the Finite Liquid mod!

QuantaCat says:

water is one of the main reasons for buying terraria.

13. Alexander Norris says:

What about those of us who were frustrated by Far Cry 2′s respawning checkpoints and lack of fast travel and repetitive missions because it actually harmed the game and prevented it from being an immersive and interesting narrative? What about us, eh? :(

• Alexander Norris says:

Also: interesting. They’ve taken the cover system from Bound in Blood (which was excellent).

Also also: Jesus Christ what is this Jason guy’s background? He’d better be some kind of Navy SEAL or something.

• Ringwraith says:

I noticed that, finally someone picked up on it.
      You can also blind fire! That’s what first-person cover mechanics were always missing.

• Davie says:

Yeah, I thought he was a journalist or something, and then there he goes shanking a dude in the chest from behind and bullseying his buddy with the same knife.

Honestly, it would be really interesting to play an FPS where you were a civilian who straight-up sucked with a gun. Shooting wildly, running away, and trying not to waste your bullets on air would be quite exciting, and perhaps genuinely scary, if done right.

• Ringwraith says:

A point which must be made is that if this game is using an experience system, wouldn’t it make sense that kind of manoeuvre would be a unlockable skill?

14. JackShandy says:

I like how the guy seems to be beckoning me to click on the “Read more” link.

15. Jonathan says:

It’s set on a lush tropical island, a la Far Cry 1. WOOT!1
    The aggressive AI is toned way down. BOO
    There’ll be fast travel to nip around the world. Course, Far Cry 2 technically had fast travel. Ah, happy memories of fleeing goons to get to the local bus station. BOO — Fast travel takes away some of the joy of discovery. You’ll not be hit with “ooh, I wonder what’s up that ravine” thoughts as you’re going from point A to point B if all you have to do it click on point B.
    The jungle will be full of animals and you will, from time to time, be expected to “deal with them”. WOO-BOO — what does this mean? Will I be assaulted by tigers every ten feet?
    Weapon degredation is gone. BOO — tone it down a bit, maybe, but don’t remove it. Having your rifle give up on you in a firefight made for exciting times
    It will be gory. BOO (I assume this bullet point is here because it’s going to be excessive)
    It’ll be more bombastic in general. BOO — FC2′s understatedness worked like a charm

• Ian says:

Isn’t the fast travel likely to be an option? Video Man seemed to be pushing pretty hard the idea that if you travel about there’ll be lots of stuff to go and see what it is, which is presumably exactly what you’d miss by fast travel. He certainly sounded like they’d just put it in there to tick the box, can’t imagine it’ll be compulsory.

Hope not, anyway.

It does sound like they’re removing a bunch of stuff that just needed turning down a bit, though.

Harlander says:

Don’t you usually have to go somewhere before you can fast-travel to it? Sure, you might miss out on some emergent situations if you ride the bus everywhere, but that could happen in FC2, right?

Sinomatic says:

If you’ve already been up and down the same area 30 times you might not want to have to walk/ride/swim along it yet again. Fast travel has its uses. And nothing is forcing you to use it should you prefer to take the long route.

16. stkaye says:

I’m not loving this, have to say. I don’t want to see little XP numbers popping up every time I kill a guy, for one thing. And I want my jungle-trudging to be arduous! It’s a jungle! “When you pick up a weapon, you’re going to succeed”, he says. Bleh.

17. reticulate says:

As long as they don’t have those stupid respawning checkpoints, I’m up for it.

18. Nallen says:

I found the antagonist to be extremely captivating. I think they did wonders with his animation, just the eyes are enough to bring him to life.

I may have thought it was so wonderful last night because of the bottle of wine I’d drunk of course.

19. p34ce says:

FarCry 2 was a terrible game. I keep seeing people praising its realism, and then compare it to my experience with the game’s ‘realism’: eastern block weapons breaking after every 40 shots, vehicles that can switch between forward and reverse instantly, a protagonist who (despite suffering from malaria) seems to be immune to sticking a pair of dirty pliers repeatedly in his wounds, identikit enemies appearing out of nowhere in jeeps every time you move…

Sequel? No thanks.

• Thants says:

It was immersive in the way in kept most of the interface as part of the world more than realistic. And it was a great game.

• Arglebargle says:

FC2 had terrible design flaws, most of which the dev team knew about when they released it. It also had some great parts, but not enough to balance out the flaws, in many, many peoples opinons.

Foremost among them was not having a mod kit set up. Pretty much every problem could have been fixed with some fan workups, but they decided (for some unknown reason) not to do it. I’d bet FC2 would still be selling strongly today, if they’d just done that one simple thing.

• Thants says:

Many, many people also thought it was a great game. But yes, internet hyperbole aside it did have some glaring flaws and was in desperate need of mods.

heretic says:

Was it the video or did the animations / textures look a bit off?

Especially at the start when he was zooming in to those guys killing the population, hardly seemed amazing character models / animations. I seem to remember FC2 looking better than that :-/

21. Thule says:

I’m not that impressed by it either. I would’ve preferred them just making you a merc again in some fictional African country.

Maybe I’m being cynical, but I think the “everyone’s a lunatic on this island” is just an excuse so you get to shoot everyone. That was also one of FC2′s faults, the entire country was full of enemy NPC’s, there was no one else, apart from some storeowners in buildings.

Petethegoat says:

That guy’s voice was soothing. He should be every voice in every game ever.

soulblur says:

I liked weapon degradation. Maybe not after 40 shots, but still – eventually. Oh well. I think I’m in the minority.

• gwathdring says:

Maybe not. I liked it. I was legitimately surprised when my weapon suddenly started jamming every firefight after a while. But see, then those little wonderful details (setting your watch before sleeping) were tempered by things like infinitely re-spawning weapons in the armory, homing jeeps, and so forth. On the other hand, I was fine with the unrealistic details that improved gameplay. Vehicular repairs weren’t really one of those-vehicles were so plentiful, there was no need to let me cure bullet damage with a wrench. I would have liked it also if instead of having a GPS in every car, when the character got in, he placed his on the dashboard, so it was still visible in every car, but a little more immersive. I guess that’s where Far Cry 2 got all the points for me. It wasn’t that it was realistic, but that it used realism in enough ways to be incredibly immersive. Unfortunately it didn’t master the balance between immersive and fun, and many of the less realistic elements were also the annoying ones whereas many modern games suffer from the opposite issue.

I LOVE when games put the interface in world. And I want more of that.

• Donjonson says:

It was a cool aspect of the game, just that the guns you picked up degraded far too quickly! They did so many things right, for me though there seemed to be something in the core of the game that just wasn’t right….

• gwathdring says:

That’s a good way of putting it … I felt similarly. I’m so used to good core game concepts that muck up the details, having the reverse was an odd and valuable experience. They nailed so many of the finer points and the atmosphere and such … it’s overwhelmingly odd that the game proper just doesn’t work.

• Donjonson says:

Yeah, that’s it really. It was weird being so into it and then about half way through it just seemed to vanish: there were clothes there, but no emperor :)

24. vodka and cookies says:

Sounds more Farcry 1 than Farcry 2 so that’s peaked my interest a great deal, all those flaws where exactly why I lost interest in playing 2, didn’t even bother finishing it the game was a chore.

• p34ce says:

I soldiered on for about 4 hours, then uninstalled. I couldn’t comprehend how it got the reviews it did. Moreover, I don’t think it was visually impressive (on maximum settings) at all, despite what a lot of people claimed.

El_MUERkO says:

An intro should give you an idea of how the game plays, in FC2 you get off a plane and are driven past people and other vehicles and arrive at a checkpoint, a conversation ensues, a deal is struck and you get to drive on. No one tries to kill anyone.

When you’re playing for yourself and you arrive at a checkpoint something very different happens, the people there become homicidal nutters, a pattern that is repeated throughout the game by everyone you meet.

If you see a jeep on the horizon you know with absolute certainty they will race toward and attempt to kill you, Why? I have no fucking idea!!!

So everyone is insane… OK… well I’ll kill them and move on. EEEE RRRRR!!!! As soon as you move away that bloodbath they all respawn like it never happened. Brilliant. Just Brilliant!
    Add to that the rather bizarre idea of removing all the pauses for breath from the dialogue. I mean… What. The. Fuck?!!

Far Cry 2 to had all the mechanics of a great game, but is spoiled by some unfathomable design choices. It’s honestly like someone walked into a meeting and sat there crying “BOOOOOORRING!” every time the player did anything other than shoot stuff and so they changed the game to suit that retards need.

GGGAAHHHH!!! It’s so annoying!

/stomps off in a huff

• gwathdring says:

….. Bloody hell I’m sick of the anti-console crowd. Far Cry 2 had loads of issues. Few of them had much to do with the sorts of issues Call of Duty and other super-linear shooters with modern settings have.

Also, consoles are not ruining gaming. If you were paying proper attention to the ways and reasons developers are advancing the industry in it’s current direction, you might realize that. I’m really getting sick of this PC elitism, and the only gaming machine I’ve ever owned other than a computer is the god-damn SNES.

El_MUERkO says:

Did I say anything about Consoles? I own a stupid number of consoles. I have nothing against them and I don’t associate them with dumbing down (much).

I said Call of Duty and the constant ‘never lets up gameplay’ of it’s ilk. Which, I might add, I love.

Far Cry 2 has many issues but I cannot escape the feeling that someone thought it was too slow of pace and was willing to break the game to ‘make it more action packed’.

That is my gripe.

• gwathdring says:

Ah. When you put it that way, it sounds quite reasonable. Sorry, I’ve just seen so many of those damn “consoles are killing my games” posts today that I wanted to say something. My apologies.

It was the “Far Cry 2 could have been awesome but for the horrendous pandering to the CoD crowd.” line that changed the way I read your post. I just don’t think it’s very accurate at all. I’m sorry I let myself completely stuff a whole bunch of unrelated nonsense words into your mouth and then blame you for them.

:\

Ooops.

AndrewC says:

The fighting does let up in Far Cry 2, if you avoid the fighting.

• gorgol says:

gwathdring, you can vent your pro-console rage at my comment near the top of the comment thread if you like.

26. RegisteredUser says:

Far Cry 2 has nothing whatsoever to do AT ALL with Far Cry 1.

It’s painful to even see the attempts at linkage.

27. gwathdring says:

I was unimpressed. But I will say: THANK YOU for finally incorporating a sensible first person cover system. I haven’t seen one of those since the Bound in Blood demo I played.

• Magnetude says:

It looks very similar to Killzone’s cover system, which worked pretty well. The problem with that game being on console, though, was that the cover system constantly pressed your face against a lot of quite muddy textures. Here’s hoping that’s not an issue here.

HELLA excited for this by the way. I hope weapon degradation and all the other bollocks that made FC2 such an unpredictable joy are at least optional in 3. Nice to see they’ve dropped their policy of holding loaded guns to the voice actors’ heads, too.

AndrewC says:

• diebroken says:

“People that don’t like Far Cry 2 don’t like it so angrily it makes me question their motivations.” – Far Cry 2: A Defense

Sinomatic says:

I’m playing FC2 at the moment, and I’m enjoying it whilst simultaneously hating parts of it (insanely fast-driving, psychic, overly-aggressive checkpoint AI/guns degrading after two missions) .

I happen to have a thing for the visuals and the setting though. And I quite enjoy shooting people with my dart rifle from far away and setting everything on fire. I imagine if you were someone who wasn’t particularly taken with these things, all you’d have would be the hate. And it would be entirely justified.

29. Oak says:

That guy is really well-animated and -voiced, if not especially lifelike.

But yeah, this does all seem a bit like a retreat to safer ground.

AndrewC says:

I think wanting to kill that nu-metal numpty of a bad-guy will give me motivation to keep going through 20 hours of the worst game imaginable, so that’s pretty good character design from the devs there.

31. DigitalEccentric says:

Actually, the definition of a Psychopath is not learning from your mistakes and doing the same thing over and over again, not the definition of Insanity.

Although being a psychopath would also make you insane, I suppose.

Just FYI.

Chaz says:

I thought a psychopath was someone who didn’t feel guilt or empathy and was therefore capable of amoral behaviour.

Apparently about 1 in every 100 people can be classed as having psycopathic traits and that many of the worlds top business men, military leaders, politians probably have those traits too.

• Unaco says:

Actually, Psychopathy (a term that is no longer used these days, it’s been replaced with Antisocial Personality disorder) is a disorder characterised by a lack of empathy, deficits in emotions and behaviour, difficulty in forming relationships and severe problems in the forming of human attachments. Their lack of empathy usually leads to a lack of tact, or subtlety… but, also due to their lack of empathy, they are usually very convincing liars and can be quite charming (as they suffer no guilt from their lies and deceptions).

About learning… It is true that they usually fail to change their behaviour in the face of punishment… but that isn’t an inability to learn. That’s to do with their egocentricity and lack of guilt. They can actually be very good and very fast learners (depending on who you read/talk to) with an ability to ‘blend in’ to the environment they find themselves in and to mimic emotion.

Also, on the 1 in 100 figure… It’s important to realise that a lot (possibly all) mental/personality disorders actually exist on a continuum. That is, it isn’t a binary yes/no thing, were you ahve it or you don’t… there are shades of grey all in between. I think something like 75% of people show certain schizophrenic traits… doesn’t make us all schizophrenic.

32. RogB says:

damn that bad guy looks ridiculous.. looks like he should be a comedy sidekick.

Tunips says:

If I think of this as a FarCry2 expandalone, it no longer has the burden of creative innovation to live up to. Given that, it now looks pretty damn interesting.

34. Kadayi says:

Looks like dumb fun, and that might not necessarily be a terrible thing assuming they learnt their lessons from Farcry 2.

35. Anton says:

I always found it weird that NPCs in FarCry 2 speak very fast. It’s like they are not even breathing and it makes them kind of robotic compared to the very realistic backdrop.

It seems they have improved on that in FarCry 3. This is definitely a day 1 purchase for me. =D

Sinomatic says:

They speak very fast? I can’t say I’d noticed. I thought it was just a quirk of the accents…..similar thing to certain UK accents, some areas talk more quickly than others.

36. Magnetude says:

One thing troubles me… I’m not seeing any fire in the video. Even after there’s a big explosion just before he gets in the chopper, as it flies off no flames can be seen in the grass. Hopefully that’s just because this whole section is obviously massively scripted and they just turned off the fire, because the FC2 guys put a shit-ton of work into that tech and it’d be a shame to see it binned.

“One of the guards then caught fire and, in his panic, set more things on fire. Within two minutes, as far as I could see, literally miles of terrain were on fire. Every single tree, every hut, everything. The result was that I had killed every guard by shooting a single round and that my PC was now reduced to a crawling speed. “

• Urthman says:

The guy claims they spent a lot of time checking out reactions to Far Cry 2 on the net. They can’t possibly have missed absolutely everybody saying that the fire dynamics are the very best thing about FC2, can they?

37. DocSeuss says:

I wish they’d include a hardcore mode where stuff like weapon degradation still happens.

38. BreadBitten says:

“Weapon degredation is gone.”

Damn shame, this was one of the cooler features in ‘Far Cry 2′. Will never forget how I survived an entire mission with only 21 bullets left in a rusty suppressed MP5 that kept jamming every 3 seconds. The footage looked pretty cool though, liked the Killzone styled cover system and the improved melee kills…

• Dominic White says:

Some of the coolest moments in the game came from degraded weapons for me. Nothing quite like being set up in the perfect ambush, crouched in the long grass, taking aim with your rocket launcher and…

The rocket barely makes it out of the tube before it flops lifelessly onto the ground. THEN it ignites, setting the grass on fire. And me with it. Then it explodes, alerting every enemy to my location.

When something goes that hilariously badly wrong, you need to come up with an improvised solution, fast.

• Urthman says:

Yeah, they really should have called the game, “Far Cry 2: Plan B.” Because a lot of the best moments in the game are when your original plan gets screwed up and you have to frantically improvise.

39. Dr_Nick says:

Game still looks too brown. Bloom is kinda nice, but the leaves should be way more Green. Crysis knew this, Far Cry 1 knew this, why can’t Ubisoft figure it out?

40. Reapy says:

When I first watched this I was skipping around in the live stream and didn’t know what it was. I though this looked to be an awesome game, up until he picked up a gun and it looked like FPS on a nice looking island, then I realized the gun looked like a cryengine gun, that didn’t seem as fun to shoot as other manshoots (no reason why) and thinking back realized they were doing some farcry homage stuff in their settings.

Anyway long story short, game seemed awesome when he was crawling around an island trying to figure out wtf is happening and surviving with weapons of opportunity. Then it turned into generic FPS game. Sigh.

41. Moonracer says:

Did you hear the bit where he was hinting at Role Play, inventory and trade elements and said something like if you can think of it there’s a 99% chance it’s in there? Because I’m hoping for the ability to heal wounds with fruit.

42. Xander77 says:

I thought FC2 was the most generic open world shooter imaginable. Did it even try to innovate? However, if they just polish it up a bit and get rid of the more obvious annoyances of FC2, it could be neat.

43. Yosharian says:

I was ready to despise this game based on my experience with FC2, but after watching that video… I’m kinda interested. Time to eat my hat.

jaheira says:

What the hell. Yet another trailer with a ludicrously low frame rate. Ow Ow my eyes hurt etc etc.

45. ZenArcade says:

This is disappointing. With all the downfalls Far Cry 2 had, it really was a cracking game, and there was some fantastic design at the core base of the game. Shame this has gone a different route. Ho hum.

46. pilouuuu says:

Odd… Many games nowadays seem to include a scene with your character falling down a cliff and some quick time events: the new Tomb Raider and Need for Speed, Prey 2, Max Effect 3 and now this… Just something I noticed. Hive mind or what?

47. Kaldor says:

Marketing pics like that shout: Retarded teenage crap.

48. matrices says:

Recipe ingredients:

Far Cry 1 gameplay minus trigens

Far Cry 2 graphics and sound minus everything else

Stir thoroughly

49. konondrum says:

All I can deduce from this thread is that Far Cry 2 is maybe the most polarizing game of the last 5 years. I liked the first Far Cry, but Far Cry 2 drove me crazy for most of the reasons listed above in this thread, and deleted it after only a couple of hours. I was ready to completely skip over this one, but I thought the video there looked pretty damn intriguing if you ask me. I guess we’ll find out in a few months, but I’ve got me eye on this one now which surprised me.