Vacuum Packed: First Star Trek Trailer

By Quintin Smith on June 7th, 2011 at 2:14 pm.

I have to look up how to spell vacuum every single time

We have a first proper glimpse of the co-operative Star Trek co-op action game! As stated, it’s firmly in the vein of the JJ Abrams reboot of the series, featuring plenty of lithe young things hurtling through vacuums and leaping out of the way of explosions. I expect I already know the answer to this, but to any physicists reading this- is that TV trope of people clinging onto rails and the like to prevent being sucked out into space even remotely plausible? And if not, why not?

Oof, the shots of crew members flying past debry towards the hull of the USS Enterprise look amazing, don’t they? But then I suppose Dead Space 2 set a fairly high bar for action sequences in space. CARRY ON.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. lhzr says:

this debry thing seems to be on the way of becoming a new rps meme

2. QuantaCat says:

DEBRIS.

3. whaleloever says:

It looks like a PG-13 version of Dead Space.

4. WhatKateDoes says:

At least its not full of eyewateringly pointless and inexplicable lensflare/glare!

• simoroth says:

Yeah that really annoys me that they put that in films/games without thought. You get the effect from cheap anamorphic lenses, but no-one has used them since the early 70s.

Games and films using them don’t even bother to try and mimic any of the other effects such a lenses would give you. Its all a big visual mess.

I hate devs trying to make games “filmic” when they have utterly no comprehension of cinematography.

• jeffcapeshop says:

they shot the jj abrams star trek on film with anamorphic lenses, so the flares (while annoying) are entirely explicable.

• simoroth says:

True, but most lenses have a nice coating on that gets rid of that crap.

Abrams himself admitted that most of them were post effects and the others they created by shining one of those million candlepower torches right into the lens. :p

5. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

My views re: clinging on (had an overwhelming urge to made a ‘Klingon’ pun there – yikes!)

Mostly, it depends on how big the hole is and thus how quickly the air is escaping.

It is plausible in that it is essentially a strong wind they are trying to stop being blown away by. However, it’s implausible because it’s a really strong wind – comparable to maybe a hurricane or being a bullet in the barrel of a gun.

If they loop their whole arms, it becomes more plausible, but then something should break or dislocate.

EDIT: Also, really quick decompression like that could give them decompression sickness, which would complicate their attempts to hold on.

Conclusion: they should be thoroughly strapped in to be sure of not being spaced…

• Hentzau says:

There are a few aircraft which have had inconvenient holes appear in their fuselages when flying in low-pressure high-altitude environments, and there is a documented instance of a flight attendant being blown out through a particularly large one by the ensuing pressure differential. However, it’s called explosive decompression for a reason – i.e. it’s sudden, quick and violent, occuring far too quickly for a human being to be able to react to it. Either you’re fortunate enough to be sitting/standing somewhere where you don’t get sucked out into space when it happens, or you’re screwed.

• Giant, fussy whingebag says:

@Hentzau : yes, what you said. My stuff was all assuming they had prepared for the decompression beforehand. Still, if the hole were small enough that holding a rail with your hands would work, then it probably wouldn’t happen too quickly to grab onto said railing.

• sonofsanta says:

You resisted a pun? Why? Do you even know what website you’re on?

• westyfield says:

As far as I know, the chances of explosive decompression in space are fairly low – either it blows a big hole in the side and the explosion kills everyone inside, or it knocks a small hole and the air leaks out slowly.

• Cradok says:

I thought that Dead Space 2 did this remarkably well: when a viewport went boom, you immediately got swept off your feet and had about two seconds to shoot the emergency lockdown button. Of course, it falls down on the fact that said viewports can be shattered by just about anything, and that said lockdown button is mounted directly above said viewport… Still, points for trying.

• Wisq says:

Not to mention that I imagine these emergency lockdown thingies ought to be triggered by something a little more automated than the reflexes of the crew in distress that they’re trying to save. You know, like … pressure sensors, maybe?

The button should be to _override_the sensible emergency protocol in case of malfunction or double-emergency.

• Napalm Sushi says:

If you want to know the worst case scenario involving explosive decompression, look up “Byford Dolphin”.

But not if you’ve just eaten.

• westyfield says:

Oh, I should also point out that if the atmosphere is venting fast enough to suck people out with it, hanging on is pretty useless, because, well, the atmosphere is venting.
      “Hooray, I managed to stay inside the ship!”
      *Turns blue*
      “Bollocks.”

• Sorbicol says:

explosive decompression isn’t called explosive decompression for no reason – if that happened you aren’t going to know anything about it until it’s all over.

as has been stated above, even if it’s a “slow” leak and you hold on you’re going to have a whole lot of trouble breathing when decompression has finished. If you’ve not been rendered unconscious, mercifully so.

however that’ll be the least of your problems – you’d be in a vacuum and suffering the most extreme version of the bends imaginable while your blood gases fizz out of you blood stream, your capillaries rupture, your heart start fibrillating and, being in Space, you start to rapidly flash freeze to death. All in all you’re probably better hoping for the explosive kind so it’s all over before you’ve even realised it’s happened.

• Zenicetus says:

I’m gonna go out on a limb here… and say that any airflow that’s strong enough to lift your body horizontally, will be a force you can’t resist by hanging on with your fingers. Yep, that’s stretching credulity. I’ll stop now.

• MadMatty says:

Yup explosive decompression.
      Its in Aliens, in the end fight, but being a little too weak.
      Its also in Aliens 4, where the broodlings brains gets sucked out thru a small hole in a window, which seems like a bit too much…. roughly…. can´t be too sure, as its been awhile since i´ve visited space.

6. Moni says:

Mass Effect in Space? (with less talking (because you can’t talk in a vacuum (obviously))).

• Kollega says:

I second this opinion. Looks suspiciously like Mass Effect, only with more pointy ears. Which, as some guy a bit below pointed out, may actually be a good thing. But to be honest, i don’t think it will be: this is a licensed game, after all.

• P7uen says:

I distinctly remember Mass Effect being set in space.

• Balm says:

I distinctly remember Mass Effect being set on a dingy theater stage with black cardboard background representing space.

• Zenicetus says:

I distinctly remember Mass Effect being set in space, on a spaceship you never got to actually command except in cut scenes. It would be nice if you could at least DO something with the Enterprise in this game, like I dunno, command it during a space battle? If not, and it’s just running around and shooting, then yeah, it looks pretty Mass-Effectish.

7. Stevostin says:

Oh great. TPV shooter. “We want you to shoot thing, but we also want it to be not very enjoyable with clumsy aiming a dead angle right in front of you. ”

Dead Space maybe set a fairly high bar for action sequences in space, but as it also set a fairly low bar for crappy TPV I’ll never know. As this one aim to play in the same league on both space walk and TPV, I’ll never know either.

• Dominic White says:

What are you waffling on about? Playing a third-person shooter is usually nigh identical to a first-person one. You put the crosshair on the enemy, you fire, they die. How are you having problems?

• Springy says:

This isn’t a universal problem, but I often find that I put the crosshairs on a baddie, pull the trigger and he doesn’t die. This is because there is something obstructing the projectile, between my player character and his target, which I’m initially unaware of because my view is offset by the camera. So I can see the baddie, put him inside the reticle and fire, but do bugger all damage. This is really annoying sometimes.

Other than that I like third-person shooters because I am a fan of arses. Men’s, women’s, aliens’, I don’t discriminate. As long as they go up and down like two mighty pistons when I hammer the sprint button I’m a happy bunny.

• propjoe says:

I’ve been having that exact problem in Arkham Asylum. Fortunately, if they’re going to use a Mass Effect-style system (and it really looks like they are) these problems should take care of themselves.

8. Arclight says:

What are those starships doing in Mass Effect?

Oh wait…

9. mondomau says:

Yes yes, another shooty game with spectacular set pieces and little else (so far). At least it’s third person for a change.

It looks a bit like Mass Effect in places – now that would be a good fit for the property – though I’m still puzzled as to why developers can’t make a decent Star Trek starship combat game instead of stuff like that boring generic MMO or the shite Voyager-based FPS Elite Force.

• Tretiak says:

Elite Force was fun! And it has a coop mod.

• P7uen says:

I loved Elite Force too! I was in Voyager! Pew pew!

• Alexander Norris says:

I wish they’d put Elite Force on GOG.

• Anthile says:

As far as I know, Elite Force is stuck in copyright hell, not unlike System Shock.

• propjoe says:

Elite Force was fantastic, but it was also incredibly short. And the the boss battle left much to be desired. Still, when you have the opportunity to blast away Borg, who could ask for more?

• MadMatty says:

I think i´d rather see an exploration/problem solving game, something akin to the 90´s TV series with Picard, a bit of ship combat thrown in, and a tiny bit of shooting for good measure.

10. Rii says:

Yeah, because when I think ‘Spock’ the first image that comes to mind is of him tossing a grenade.

• P7uen says:

I distinctly remember Spock tossing a grenade in Mass Effect.

• Kektain says:

I think I love you, panda man.

• Zenicetus says:

Well, if we’re making an argument from canon, the original TV series Spock spent a hell of a lot of time on away missions with a phaser in his hand.

The thing that differentiated his character was how he solved plot puzzles in the interludes between fighting. “Ah yes! We’ll destroy this Overlord computer by asking it to solve a paradox!” And that was after shooting 20 bad guys to get to the computer room. If that’s in this game, they won’t be showing the thinking bits in a trailer, because it’s not as dramatic as the explody bits.

Anyway, if this is co-op only (strange choice for a Star Trek game?), then I’m not interested.

11. Dubbill says:

A 3rd person cover-based shooter is what Gene Roddenberry always dreamed of but the technology didn’t exist back in the 60s.

12. Nallen says:

A HIDDEN ENEMY IS DOING IT WRONG

13. Grot_Punter says:

Trek Effect. Logically it will lead to Trek Effect 2, and Trek Effect 3, where Earth comes under attack by giant robotic Space Coelacanths.

14. uzersk says:

I think the last Aliens movie had an interesting take. If you hold on to a railing, space will still rip you out piece by piece, entrail by entrail.

Also in space/complete vacuum your blood starts to boil and then you explode very rapidly. Just sayin.

15. Freud says:

To boldly go where pretty much everyone is going these days.

16. _Jackalope_ says:

Looks like the co-op mode might be fun. Just my impression of it, but it looks like in the bit where Spock is helping an injured Kirk, one player will control the movement of Spock supporting Kirk while the other will control Kirk’s phaser. Looks like they might be putting a big emphasis on real team co-ordination for the co-op. Unless it was just a cutscene…

I did laugh at the announcement yesterday that said “control Kirk and Spock, together for the first time!” What, like 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites? Back then we got to control every single one of the crew at various points. Now that’s progress.

17. Neurotic says:

Bleh, Abrams Trek. /vomit

18. Daiv says:

I enjoyed the latest Star Trek movie. It isn’t really Star Trek. But hey, it was a fun shooty-bang action space movie.

Oh yeah, and the game. Looks interesting, but it is going to need something special to deactivate my wallet-integrity field.