CCP: Sony “More Open” To DUST Experiment

By Jim Rossignol on June 8th, 2011 at 9:25 am.

Producer Thomas Farrer explained the controversial decision to make EVE tie-in shooter DUST 514 a PS3 exclusive in an interview with RPS earlier today. He explained: “most of DUST is running on our own technology, it’s running on our own super-computer, on Tranquillity. And Sony is a lot more… open, shall we say, to allowing you to do those things. It may seem silly, but on Xbox Live your identity is your Xbox Live identity. In the EVE universe, having people not know who you are is quite important.”

When asked whether a 360 version was an impossibility, he reasoned that “I don’t think it’s about saying we “couldn’t” do it. I think some of the challenges we’d meet would be tricky. But then also as a developer you’ve got to weigh the balance. It’s nice to work on one platform rather than two, because it means you don’t have to make any awkward compromises, technically. Also you get the benefit of a closer relationship with that platform. “

On the prickly issue of there not being a PC client, Farrer explained: “we don’t want to cannibalise our own player-base.” Read the full thing here.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Dana says:

“we don’t want to cannibalise our own player-base.”

translation:

We dont want to potentially reduce our revenue from EvE.

• gorgol says:

That’s a frankly monumentally retarded reason to give. There are many people on PC put off by the abstract spreadsheet nature of EvE that would more than love to be part of the universe through a more actiony medium like an FPS. They are missing out on a market and I can’t imagine they are stupid enough for that to be their actual reason. Methinks this has a lot to do with Microsoft and awful Games For Windows Live and XBOX Live demands.

• MeestaNob says:

Yeah, its such a stupid way to look at it.

I’m a PC gamer. I know what Eve is, but don’t play it because it’s impenetrable in its current guise. A less intimidating game set in the Eve universe would make an EXCELLENT entry point, possibly seeing me set up an Eve account for the ‘proper’ game later on.

I don’t have a PS3, so now I’m not going to be exposed to any of it… Good job?

• Hoaxfish says:

On PC, they can just ignore Microsoft/GFWL all together.

• gorgol says:

Ahh, now I get it, after having read the interview in the previous article on the issue here it seems they also signed a very beneficial exclusivity deal with Sony for the PS3. OK, now it makes sense. Still a big shame for the PC :(

• lurkalisk says:

You say that like he was attempting to deceive people. I’m pretty sure, “we don’t want to cannibalise our own player-base”, was intended to mean precisely what you took from it. Which is to say, they want all potential EVE Online customers right where they belong according to their master plan, and vice versa.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

@lurkalisk

Yes, exactly. That’s literally what the sentence means.

It’s hardly doublespeak.

• gorgol says:

Well yes, and no. Its true that there was no call for a translation, but it is duplicitous because that’s not the reason for it. The reason, as they admitted in the interview is that they signed a very beneficial exclusivity deal with Sony.

Its a bit sad that they did that but also sensible I guess. The exclusivity deal probably comes with a ton of guaranteed cash for an unproven product that may actually flop, or that might not do well enough on the PC.

Given the above the translation is actually far more accurate than the original statement.

• Spliter says:

Incredibly stupid reason. Id’s sure as hell wouldn’t play Eve but I would most likely give Dust a try, and I’m pretty sure about a hundred thousand other FPS gamers are the same. Still not a big loss, we have Bioshock infinite, BF3, and Skyrim to play while not playing Dust.

• gorgol says:

Spliter, yeah but its not the same. This is not just another FPS. Its an FPS set in a persitent and player driven universe… We’re talking about something that makes Planetside look like a quick session of Counter Strike… My god that sounds like my dream come true. I WANTS ON PC! :(

• itchyeyes says:

I can sort of see how they might be a little concerned about players dropping the subscription based EVE for the free-to-play Dust. But I don’t think the argument is very robust. One’s a shooter and the other is, well, something else entirely. They’re not really substitutes. So it seems pretty unlikely that EVE players will turn to Dust to scratch that same itch that EVE was getting.

But apart from that, even if they were to prefer Dust to EVE, what does that say about CCP if they’re going to deny their fans and the bulk of their player base the opportunity to play a game that CCP thinks they’ll prefer?

• mpk says:

Lots of hardcore EVE players use ISK to pay for game time. I wonder how much revenue they’re already losing from the current player base?

• Starky says:

None, because *someone* has to buy with real money that game time.

You don’t buy playtime from CCP with isk.
      Players buy a gametime item from CCP with real money, then they sell that item in game.

So either way CCP get paid.

2. Hoaxfish says:

In the EVE universe, having people not know who you are is quite important.

i.e. if they know who you are, they might come round your house and shank you going by the stories.

• MonkeyMonster says:

given the shit storms and hilarious (from a bystanders pov) stories that come out of eve, i’d want to be an unknown if even vaguely involved…

• The Tupper says:

The unseemly data grab that all sorts of companies (not just games publishers) are doing in an effort to mine personal information is vexing at best, truly sinister at worst.

3. aerozol says:

The point of this post was? A more concise round-up of the points of the interview most interesting to the RPS readership I guess /answers own question

I could cut and paste my response on the interview page, but I’ll just settle with saying:
    I can see why they’re doing this PS3 exclusive thing. The headache involved in making this work with EVE shards already must be substantial, including financially, and ‘exclusive’ has not meant ‘exclusive forever’ in a long time, if other markets start looking appealing. Keep it simple, do it right on one system, and then see where to go from there, makes sense to me, rather than ‘let’s do everything at once’. I’m usually not a fan of exclusives, but fuck it, we can play EVE.

4. Gunrun says:

But this way it makes a headline that “news aggregate” sites can post then link back here.

I wish developers wouldn’t make up phony excuses as to why their game is platform exclusive and just tell the truth – “We got given a big sack of cash by [Console manufacturer] to make it exclusive”

5. grasskit says:

not to be picky about it, but why make a post about a post that was made few posts back?

6. Gap Gen says:

I do hate the trend towards normalising all logins to the same few services. Having Facebook log you into everything is really insidious. I get the argument against people flaming and trolling, but I prefer being able to join a service without having to chain myself to a social network.

• Lukasz says:

Simply create a fake fb page without friends and any pictures. use your preferred login as your name and smith or brown as your surname.

7. Koojav says:

Article based on pure copypasta on RPS.

EVE themed shooter on PS3 only.

What the fuck happened to this world ?

8. Hoaxfish says:

same reason some review sites don’t run with “we gave this game a 9 bags of cash out of 10″

9. Vexing Vision says:

But, err, didn’t you just write this a few hours ago?

*confused*

10. Tetragrammaton says:

Wow RPS,
    We are not impressed.
    (See,’ t rhymes!)

11. Alec Meer says:

Grumpy people!

a) It’s one headline from one long interview – we’re never going to do the million stories from one interview thing, because that’s tawdry and horrible.

b) We can see the readership stats, y’know – you’d be amazed/depressed by how few people bother to read a full interview due to the whole wall of text thing. This means there’s much to be said for giving them a quick piece that deals with the most salient point. In this case, why the hell won’t they do Dust on other platforms?

Obviously we’d love it if everyone read all of every interview, but they don’t. Lazy beggars.

• Nallen says:

You can see how far down the page we scroll? Creepy. Very Valve.

Maybe no one cares about Dust? :( [I do]

Interestingly enough they actually completely fudge the answers on those salient points…

• Alec Meer says:

No, just how long people stay on a given article for. And the colour of their underwear.

• gorgol says:

I certainly care about DUST. It sounds like Planetside but more persistent, dynamic, meaningful, and player driven D: WANTS ON PC.

Also I think its fair enough RPS have focused on this issue in a separate post. Further, it really isnt the first time they post an article about an article :P They have done it quite often for quite a while now. Why has no one complained before?

• theleif says:

Good thing I’m naked.

• Stamford says:

It sounds like planetside?

What 16 vs 16?

Pffffffffffft

• gorgol says:

Stamford,

well, that’s what they are looking at atm, but its an experiment and it might be more in the future. I would be surprised if it they didn’t realise the potential for epic battles, especially given CCP’s record in EvE… However, my post wasn’t comparing it to Planetside in terms of player numbers on a battlefield but in terms of an FPS with persistence and player driven-ness. Not only that, it seems like it will improve on that by providing long term meaning and dynamism to the battles and wars that will take place, something which Planetside sorely missed.

EDIT: also, imagine, if this works, with the kind of real life money involved in EvE, a well skilled squadron, or particularly well skilled fighter could probably make a living from playing this particular FPS?! O.o This idea has astonishing potential imo, and its a big shame the birthplace for it will be PS3 and not PC.

• Stamford says:

Gorgol,

I agree with the last part. It is a shame its on PS3. I dont own one, and dont intend on ever owning one. And I really cant see this taking off on PS3. MAG didnt. Its all about the COD.

I just hope SOE manage to survive and get Planetside 2 to release.

• etho says:

@Stamford

I played MAG a little bit. It didn’t fail because of COD any more than the Halo games have failed because of COD. The existence of a successful FPS on a console does not preclude the possibility of other successful FPS’s. That really only happens with subscription based games, because people don’t want to pay multiple subscriptions at a time. But MAG wasn’t subscription based, and that is not why it failed. It failed because it was a terrible game.

12. Xercies says:

A news story for an interview that RPS has done…interesting. But i would agree with Alec it probably is kind of useful for some people.

13. gorgol says:

Hoaxfish, lol’ed :D

14. sexyresults says:

I have a ps3 but not interested buying a shooter on it. I tried EVE for awhile but I’m not huge on MMOs so didn’t really stick to it but I loved the idea. Now this game sounds very cool and I would certainly buy it on it the PC, hell I’d pre order. But no PC.

So yeah wider your market or whatever PR shit you want to throw down.

15. Arglebargle says:

One thing that intrigues me about this. With the tie in to EVE, these MI mercs should be able to make some ISK. Which, as I understand it, you can actually sell for cash. I can see some FPS guilds going ‘Wow!’ on that. It’s a different incentive than leader board bragging. The persistence thing might actually be a draw. Will be interesting to see if CCP can carry this beyond the initial interest though.

• mpk says:

You can sell it for cash and then get permabanned.

(well, that’s the theory)

16. karthink says:

RPS, why post the same thing twice? Surely people interested in the Eve/Dust state of things will read the interview? If the interested mob TL;DR’d the interview and missed out, surely it’s not your problem?

17. Ryn Taylor says:

What is this? I just read this interview two seconds ago. You made me think there was new news, naughty RPS.