Shine A Light: Dark Millenium Online Trailer

By Quintin Smith on June 8th, 2011 at 9:55 am.

In my future, Space Marines are rapid deployment Feng Shui experts

In the grim darkness of the future, there is only Warhammer 40k MMORPG Dark Millenium Online. No, seriously- I’m not sure that there’s another game we’ve been posting about this E3 week with a release date as far off as 2013. Curiously, this (brief) trailer brands the game as a “Massively Multiplayer Online Action Experience”, and when I had a brief chat with the developers at Gamescom last year I do remember them talking about how they were developing some revolutionary new kind of combat. Hmm. Will this be the first massively multiplayer 3rd person shooter? Only time will tell. So, so much time.

Is that guy at 0:30 wielding a bit of pipe against a space marine? He’s totally the kobold you’ll have to shoot dozens of to reach level 2.

, , , .

1. DanPryce says:

I don’t know whose idea it was to apply three different tan filters and capture the footage on a dial-up connection to the game, but they need some kind of reprimand – that looked pretty shocking.

• unlimitedgiants says:

They want you to remember that they are making the game, but not have anything clear enough to criticize. So you get brown stuff to look at.

2. headswe says:

So… Nothing expect tan filters and epic music?

3. James says:

I am pretty much going to buy this no matter what they do with it. That is the hold that 40K has on me, it’s powerful voodoo.

• studenteternal says:

Yea, me too. But I still hope its good.

• iniudan says:

Voodoo ? You shall be put under the scrutiny of the Ordo Hereticus for putting tought into force beyond the Will of the Emperor, may your faith not be too far gone has to not recognize the Emperor Light that is repentance or the purifiying flame shall be your only cleansing.

• isocryd says:

Da’s not boo-doo, ya grot. Dat be Gork’s powah!

You’s bettah be green.

Jubaal says:

“Will this be the first massively multiplayer 3rd person shooter?”

Tabula Rasa was a third-person MMO shooter I do believe.. not that it was anything to shout about.

5. blainestereo says:

Is it supposed to tease?

Becaue I’m now pumped for wh40kO DESPITE the trailer

6. TooNu says:

Dude wielding a pipe confirmed –> http://i.imgur.com/wZNPg.jpg

• Kollega says:

He’s obviously one of the Angry Marines, and this is not a mere lead pipe, but a Power-Pipe. Duuuuuuh.

7. Stevostin says:

“Will this be the first massively multiplayer 3rd person shooter?”

3rd person shooter should simply be forbidden by Geneva convention or something. It’s like making a driving game with the view set in the eye of the kid in the back sit. Unneededly unpleasant and unhandy.

Make it “1st person shooter”, or better give us quick switch in the views (there are melee combat after all…) and I am intersted.

• studenteternal says:

Excuse me? there have been some perfectly fine 3rd person shooters on the PC, and some even developed for the PC first. I hesitate to forbid a genre by treaty cause its not your preference.

Personally I am very excited about this game, and digging the tiny bit (third person view and all) that we have seen from the couple of brief trailers.

• Stevostin says:

I admit you can argue in favor of Max Payne (considering the important of dodging bullet trajectories and the short range of most fights) although even this one would have been better in FPV for me. I really have a hard time to picture any TPS on PC that makes it to high praise by the player community or the metacritics or even sales, but maybe I am missing something. Dead Space did OK (although I personally think it’s absolute crap) but IMO it’s more because of it’s horror / adventure stuff than the shooting. Although aiming at body part to cut them was indeed a good thing in that game. It would just have been so much better in FPV, of course ;-)

Then there is Tomb Raider, sure, but I think it’s more a platformer than a shooter.
      And GTA IV which is till more driving than shooting. Fortunately there is a FPS mod for the shooting. TPV was OK in GTA IV but of course FPV is instantly better, even with the crude implementation.

Anything else I am missing ?

• buzzmong says:

Oni. That was a good third person shooter/puncher/kicker/throwing/backbreaking game. Criminally undersold and underrated on the PC or PS2 even if it didn’t deliver on the promises from it’s previews. And from a time when Bungie were good to boot.

Although I will concede the point, there’s not many. Oh, Giants:Citizen Kabuto was a 3rd person shooter.

8. Teddy Leach says:

If I can play as an Inquisitor, I will want this so badly.

• Stephen Roberts says:

If I can play as an Ork I will want this so badly.

• iniudan says:

If I can be an Ork pirate with a fancy for hat (inquisitor hat been the apex of fancy), then I want it.

• JerreyRough says:

If I can play as a commissar wielding a sword on top of a tank I want this so badly.

• Fumarole says:

If I can play as a Guardsman whose sole objective is to survive fifteen hours I will want this so badly.

9. Koojav says:

First I had a look at the headline image and thought that trailer will be epic.

After watching the trailer I’m pretty much sure those two aren’t connected in any way. But I’m sure most kids will be pleased to know that WoW got a new skinpack.

10. Ertard says:

That is an absolutely shit trailer. Who the fuck approved that? Jesus.

The first trailer for it looked great, and I still have high hopes for this being good since it’s Vigil and also WH40K.

11. Tom OBedlam says:

Please don’t suck.Please don’t suck.Please don’t suck.Please don’t suck.Please don’t suck.

12. Kollega says:

Some people are afraid that this will be crap. Some people suspect that this will be crap. I am one of the very, very few who hope that it will be crap. Say what you want, but i don’t like 40k, and i will only start to like it if it includes vaguely catlike repairmen turning back the tide of GRIM DARKNESS ™ and saving the day in a totally awesome fashion. As this game is unlikely to feature such radical departure from the things i detest and towards the things i actually like, i hope it bombs. There, i’ve said it. Flame on.

And yes, i know there’s a 40k quote that tends to follow after somebody utters the word “hope” in a thread like this. I don’t care.

• thirdstar81 says:

Perhaps, and forgive me if this is a radical idea, you could, I don’t know, NOT play it? Seems like a better option than hoping for a game to bomb. On the other hand who am I to keep you from your hatred of the setting and subsequent detestation of a game.
      All snark aside, is there a particular reason you’re commenting on a 40k MMO when you don’t like the setting at all. A setting that has been ‘Grim Dark’ for a very very long time. Pray tell, when exactly was the setting not grim dark?

• Rane2k says:

HOPE IS THE FIRST STEP ON THE ROAD TO DISAPPOINTMENT!

(I hope it will be good as well.)

• Kollega says:

Tell me, does it seem plausible at all that i will play the game i hope will bomb? Seems like a better option than supporting the game i do not like at all. On the other hand who i am to keep you from suggesting what exactly i should do with my opinions on this particular subject.

Vicious snark counterattack aside, there IS a particular reason i am commenting on this when i don’t like the setting at all. I feel that with all the people pumping metaphorical fists in the air (although i am sure there are few who upon this announcement did it for real), sharing their giddy excitement about how they would like to horribly murder each other’s virtual avatars in an online representation of one of the most grim and dark fictional settings created by man for some ungodly reason, and yelling various catchphrases from said setting (which, to be fair, hasn’t started yet, it usually takes more comments), there has to be at least one man voicing his dissatisfaction as a counterpoint. Seems futile and only liable to cause flamewars, but saying nothing does not seem like a favorable option either.

• Moses Wolfenstein says:

There’s kind of a difference between saying “There’s no way I’ll buy or enjoy this game.” or even “I don’t really understand why all of you get excited about games set in this universe.” and “I hope this game fails.” Either of the former comes off as representing a fully legitimate minority voice on the RPS forums (the very vocal majority is very pro 40k after all). The latter strongly resembles trolling. It might not resemble trolling as much if you provided some legitimate reason why you hope the game fails apart from your dislike of the fictional setting. For example, “I have lots of friends who are 40k fans who are looking forward to this game. If it is awesome, I will not be able to play with them online unless I play this game I won’t like. Therefore, I hope this game sucks so I can play stuff with my friends that I enjoy.”

• Kollega says:

Hm, do “my brother is a 40k fanatic and also a complete douche who punched me in the face over nothing, so i don’t want him to have a good game in his oh-so-favored setting” or “Warhammer 40k is really getting on my nerves with it’s nihilism, and so i hope it’s commercial success declines to pave a way for more idealistic stories” constitute valid reasons? I guess not really, as those are a result of my personal grudges.

In seriousness though, your point about the difference between “i can’t understand why would people enjoy this” and “i hope this bombs” is a very good one. I will try to remember this advice the next time i try defying the wave of 40k adoration in these forums.

• Droopy The Dog says:

I’m still confused how someone who claims to like idealistic themes would also want to actively take enjoyment away from other people, on account of their being different from yourself.

Start the idealism at home for a more enjoyable experience.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Hating what your brother is no reason to hate what he likes. He sounds like an asshole, but remember that viciously overgeneralizing is likely to get you… viciously overgeneralized.

• D says:

I am sometimes amazed how much a person can be a jerk on the internet.

• Bankei says:

so you just came here to rain on everyone’s parade. Are you the guy who tells pregnant women their baby will one day grow old and die?

go piss in your own lemonade sir. In the grim darkness, trolls are executed… you know… because they don’t like xenos, so be afraid!

• genotype says:

Ooooooh, he’s a little kid! Gotcha. Just a kid, pissed at his brother. Nothing to see here.

13. TotalBiscuit says:

Let’s get really upset over a 40 second teaser

14. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Coming soon, eh? That’s a rather interesting definition of ‘soon’.

15. Dodoman says:

In the grimdark future, there is only tan.

16. kud13 says:

Will there be playable Orcs?

or is this going to be just another “defend the humanity from the hordes of X, Y and Z”?

17. fenriz says:

can i play a scribe, live in a huge building, never have to shoot, and have fun?

didn’t think so.

:whisper: A Warhammer40.000 100% total sandbox simulation. We needs it.

18. vodkarn says:

In the darkness of the far future, there is only tan.

19. Porcker says:

First off, I kind think that honestly your just feeding the troll by trying to explain why not to hate.
    Second, teasers are almost always disappointing one in particular comes to mind…Halo Reach announcement teaser anyone?
    Third, I like Warhammer 40K but now the main reason I don’t want a flop is to upset the troll.
    Lastly, Omg TotalBiscuit!!