Knight Time! The King Arthur 2 E3 Trailer

By Quintin Smith on June 8th, 2011 at 11:29 am.

That scab on the belly looks like an eye, which turns the belly into a face. Do you see it?

I’ll tell you what looks good. King Arthur 2 looks good. The sequel to 2009′s fantasy “role-playing wargame” (see our review here), King Arthur 2 sounds like it’ll be that most noble of gaming sequels- taking everything that we liked about the first game, and gently tightening it up and making it that much bigger. None of this trying to appeal to a broader audience or revolutionise things. Just taking that great idea, and making it even stronger. And, in this case, adding a crapload of dragons. I’m talking about dragons blocking out the sun. You’ve got to see this.

Also, look at those huge insect things on the ground at 0:50! I know people are always talking about how great it’d be if Creative Assembly made a Fantasy Total War game, but honestly, King Arthur is it. It’s £15 on Steam at the minute, by the way. Just saying.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Nathan_G says:

Hmmm I didn’t expect to see anything interesting here, not being familiar with the first game. Might have to check this out, looks intriguing.

2. Julius says:

Needs more dragons.

• outoffeelinsobad says:

Dragons that exhale smaller dragons instead of fire.

3. necromental says:

Why is it that everything comes down to the number of Dragons these days?

• Richard Beer says:

I was just thinking exactly the same thing. Maybe just over a year ago, RPG developers looked at Dragon Age and thought “Crikey, that’s successful. I wonder why? I know! It’s gotta be the DRAGONS!!!! And we could make our thing even better if we had MOAR OF THEM!!”!11

• FiveO says:

Its how you use em that counts!

• sebmojo says:

that really is a =lot= of damn dragons

• quickfics says:

I think it’s nigh time for the venerable Crate Review System to be supplanted by the Dragon Review System. We should get the scientists at Case Western Reserve University on it right away.

• necromental says:

do you think we’re beyond zombies? or are zombie dragons next?

• Mad Hamish says:

Skyrim’s got infinite Dragons so…..It’s gonna be hard to beat that.

4. KauhuK says:

Whats with all these dragons in all these new games? Not that im complaining.

• Space_Masters says:

‘Tis the age.

• Wooly says:

The age of INFINITE DRAGONS!

Dragon Age: Infinity!

• Davie says:

Well, it was about two decades since zombies were popular that they got a revival in the early 2000s, and now it’s been about twenty years since dragons were popular, so I suppose it’s about time. What will 2020 bring? Hacker movie revival?

5. James says:

Like it’s saying “Oooo…” or something? Yeah, I think so.

Edit: No, a smiley face…I see that now, too.

6. pakoito says:

I don’t remember the legend of King Arthur that way…

• aemskelley says:

Indeed, shouldn’t he be trying to sell a broadband package or something?

• Space_Masters says:

Well you know how legends go: some guy tells some other guy about some roman soldier that did something and he tells the next guy, but with a little embellishment, and so on. Before long you end up with a story about magicians and dragons and squires pulling swords out of rocks. These guys are just adding a little more embellishment.

7. Tetragrammaton says:

I should probably crack out the first one – its been gathering virtual dust in my steam account for over a year now. Has anyone played it? & is it any good?

• Mr Labbes says:

The victory location system can make battles a bit unfair, but most of the time I found it to be a fantastic game. Especially the abilities of your heroes are a joy to use (and it’s horrible that you have so few skillpoints!).

• Blaq says:

The original was a great game and I never understood why it didn’t get more recognition when it clearly stood right beside the games of Total War series. It has a few flaws, as does every game, but the hero, questing and magic systems are worthwhile additions to the genre that make the game a whole lot more exciting. Plus, it builds on the Arthurian legend, which I find to be very exciting.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

It’s very, very good. It just got two pretty major patches that sorted out the balancing issues.

I’d highly recommend dipping a toe in.

• Newt says:

Had some flaws but they’re all patched out (imo?). The heroes are good enough to change the way you fight, not good enough to be WC3 OP. It’s like playing Total War, but instead of a few historical facts and figures you get an entire story. Only thing is you want to play it on easy first go if you’ve never played it. :P

Story plays out even if you ignore them, so at day whatever a few armies pop up off the side and if you’re in the process of subjugating the continent then that can be pretty damning. But if you like strategy games, definitely dust it off. And try make sure you have nothing scheduled for a few days.

And do the get the DLC if you haven’t already. Vanilla is fine for replaying, but the addition of a few extras never hurts.

8. Robert says:

Dragons are the new zombies.

Except zombies aren’t done yet, cause they can’t die.

9. wiper says:

Quinns gave me the King Arthur Collection at the last RPS meet as a prize for being Welsh. True story!

Also a true story: I just installed it last night. And then thus ended up dragging myself to bed at three o’clock. You bastard Quinns, you gave me a great game!

Edit: New game looks a bit pretty, eh!

10. Vague-rant says:

I thought the first game was quality and there was some pretty decent DLC available too. Really liked the two extra campaigns offering different sides of the same war (and of course both must crush Arthur), and the extra heroes/spells really complimented the specific races/armies well. It occurs to me that without the DLC you’d have little proper incentive to try out another quarter of the “Ruler tree/circle” thing they had, which I thought was pretty cool.

I guess what I’m saying is, I’m really looking forward to this.

11. colinmarc says:

Our dragons will blot out the sun!

Then we will fight in the shade.

12. Nameless1 says:

Definitely interested, loved the first.

13. MCM says:

I wish we had an actual dragon RPG, where you played as a dragon.

14. Fhoenix says:

I just hope it will be more balanced. Also that the game won’t cheat by sending a bunch of high level heroes at you all the time like they are growing on trees or something.
    But yeah, I have a good feeling about this one.

15. Navagon says:

I loved the first game even in spite of its odd gameplay imbalances. The level of support they provided for it was pretty damn fine too. Not often to devs patch out your issues in the next patch they put out.

But can I really still buy this given that I can’t even play King’s Crusade still? I don’t know what happened there, but suffice to say that my trust and goodwill have been dented and I’m clearly not alone in that if their own forums are anything to go by.

It’s certainly not going to be a day one purchase. Which is a shame.

16. Davie says:

Holy goddamn, that looks exciting. Like that Warhammer Medieval II mod, except fully translated to English, and I assume without all of the horrifying bugs. And just all-around shinier.

I like how dragons are basically cannon fodder units.

17. kennycrown says:

18. jeremypeel says:

Ooo crikey, that battle looked busy, didn’t it? There actually seems to be a lovely little Total War-alike subgenre emerging, what with this and Endgame on the Xbox.

Plus: ‘The Role Playing Wargame’ as a subtitle gives me an odd little boardgame thrill. YIPEE! There it goes.