Mod News: The End

By Lewis Denby on June 8th, 2011 at 1:01 pm.

Sniff

This is it. The end. This column you are about to read will be the last ever Mod News. Sniff. It’s been a pleasure, guys.

But no, really, it has. Over the past year, I’ve had a fantastic time as RPS’ mods guy, and it’s been a real honour to write this column every week – even if it is essentially just a roundup of all the latest happenings on a particular gaming scene. I can assure you that the end of Mod News coincides with the Hivemind’s bigger and better plans for mod coverage in the months ahead. You’re being left in very safe hands.

So, folks, would you join me for one more dance? Here’s the last and final week in mod news, including stuff for Half-Life 2, Neverwinter Nights, Oblivion, Morrowind and Stalker.

NEWS

Since the Dear Esther remake came along and depressed every Half-Life 2 modder in the world, making caves in the Source Engine must be a pretty daunting experience. The level designers of Prison Island have had a bloody good go, though, judging by the pair of new screenshots that have been released. The mod’s latest update also includes some other model renders and some Pictures Of Guns, which is nice; you can see it all over at ModDB.

Still on Half-Life 2, In Peremptorys’ Shadow still hasn’t fixed the grammatical ugliness that is its preposterously punctuated name, but its developers have seen fit to release yet another bunch of enticing screenshots. They’re doing this every week, it would seem – and since they keep getting better, for my money, this should be one to watch in the months ahead. It’s a slow-burning horror mod, by the looks of things, although we should probably expect to know more when the official website launches any time now.

Elsewhere, there’s a series of Neverwinter Nights mods in production called Tales of a Forgotten Realm. The mod currently in-focus is The Lowland General 2, and the developers have released a new trailer for it. There’s plenty of information over in the usual place, but for now, why not watch the video? It’s embedded below.

Plus, if you’re feeling your fantasy RPGs at the moment, there’s another update for Dibella’s Watch. A “massive” update, according to the notes accompanying it. Heaps of corrections, new locations, added detail, bug fixes and all sorts. There’s a full list of changes over on its ModDB page

Or maybe you fancy a bit of Stalker? Atmosfear 3 for Stalker: Call of Pripyat is in production, you’ll be pleased to know. It seems a bit obsessive, too: the first two things mentioned in this feature list are to do with correcting the position of the game’s sun and moon. Man! Elsewhere, there are new weather effects, a scary new psi event, amended NPC behaviour and in-game configuration. No news on when it’ll be out, but here’s where you can get the scoop.

And, as is tradition, we might as well go back onto Half-Life 2 to round off our final news section. Underhell released a prologue quite a while ago, to a decent player response, even though it had a ludicrously derivative story. The developer’s been working on Chapter One ever since, and now is ready to unveil a trailer. A good one, at that. It’s embedded below, for your viewing pleasure.

Then there’s Eternal Silence, the delightful HL2 mod, whose developers are currently working on a co-op-focused spin-off called Eternal Silence: Nova War. It’s still in pre-production, by the sounds of things, but the developers have detailed all their plans over on ModDB. It sounds like an exciting prospect, the idea being a fusion of role-playing elements with co-op FPS trappings, to be released episodically. Have a read of this page for more information.

And to finish off, I can confirm that Black Mesa has not yet been released. On Friday, Duke Nukem Forever will be. Guys? I guess we finally have our answer.

RELEASES

Morrowind Rebirth, the enormous re-imagining of Bethesda’s classic, has finally been released. It’s been in several open beta stages for a long time now, the developer choosing to unleash his opus bit by bit. But it’s now hit version 1.0. It’s all about adding detail to create a more convincing fantasy world: this isn’t a mod about enormous changes and totally-converting, but about the finer points, and how they can positively affect the experience of playing a game. So that’s cool. You can get this final version of Rebirth over at ModDB.

UPDATES

The beta of Pirates of the Caribbean mod New Horizons has been patched. As well as the obligatory long list of fixes, this update adds some new high-resolution ship models into the mix. The New Horizons project has been ongoing for absolutely ages, and the current version is rather impressively called Build 14, Beta 1, Version 6. You can grab it from ModDB.

AND THE REST

The latest episode of Podcast 17 interviews both Gabe Newell and Kutta Srinivasan of Valve Software. The discussion isn’t just limited to mod-related gubbins, but there’s a fair chunk about the Source SDK and Portal 2’s authoring tools. You can listen to the lengthy show over at the Podcast 17 website.

And that’s it! ‘Til next time, folks – whenever that may be.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Jubaal says:

So long and thanks for all the fish!

2. GameOverMan says:

I’ll see you in another (half-)life, brother.

3. malkav11 says:

Black Mesa Source would have to have been announced in 1997 for DNF to win that particular competition.

4. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

So with RPS’s plans to expand you essentially just threw out our favourite Mod-News Anchor Man? (M-NAM M-NAM…)

Or is Lewis staying and doing a different format?

I mean new stuff and change is good, but goodbyes aren’t!

5. ReV_VAdAUL says:

Thankyou Lewis, you have made me aware of a lot of mods I would never have other wise played. Best of luck for the future.

6. KillahMate says:

Thanks for the memories, Lewis. It’s been fun.

7. Conor says:

You never got the chance to tell us about the release of Black Mesa Source :’(

8. MajorManiac says:

Thanks Lewis. I’ve found some great mods due to your good work.

9. YourMessageHere says:

So why’s this excellent column stopping now if we’re not getting more news-about-mods columns until “the months ahead”?

Feels Iike I’ve only been frequenting this site for a few weeks and already one of my favourite bits of it is going to inexplicably vanish.

• nimnio says:

He said we’ll find out more “in the months ahead”, not “[until] the months ahead”. I don’t think we’re going to have to wait months for more mod news. Mod News is my favourite column, too.

10. JB says:

Thanks for the consistently superb Mod News Mr. Denby, goodbye & good luck!

(Unless you’re at the helm of the new mod stuff, in which case, hurrah!)

11. MonkeyMonster says:

Never played a mod myself but always read for info while waiting for the ever elusive Black Mesa :D Nice writing and here’s looking forward to your next work. You’ve certainly gone out on a high with your sterling job here.

12. Maykael says:

Thanks for all the great coverage mate! Hope we’ll still read stuff from you on this site. Cheers!

13. suibhne says:

I’ve enjoyed reading this recurring column since its inception. Why is it going away? If this was your personal decision, Lewis, I get that. But if it’s a difference of direction for the site, I think the reader community deserves to know.

14. westyfield says:

Thanks Mr. Denby!

15. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

The mod news roundup was great. Sad to see it end, but thank you for it all.

16. somini says:

Thank you for showing that mods are still alive and allowing the common RPSer (me…) to experiment with fringe gaming without much hassle.
    And no Black Mesa… ;(

17. trooperdx3117 says:

Thanks for the reads lewis, always looked forward to the mod news during the week, hopefully we’ll still see you writing other articles and stuff for rps!

18. Tiddler says:

A real shame to see you go, I’ve enjoyed reading the mods news, including the never ending black mesa saga! Hopefully you’ll still be about in another function in the future.

Cheers again for all the amusement!

19. man-eater chimp says:

Can we have a special return of this if/when Black Mesa Source ever does come out?

20. Vadermath says:

D’aaaaaaw, really sad to see ya go, Lewis! It was truly an awesome column of yours, and though I am certain RPS will compensate with something of a similar degree of awesomeness, seeing you write stuff around here would still be nice. Cheers, and thanks for everything!

21. Ian says:

It would only have been fitting for Black Mesa to be inexplicably ready for you to announce on your last entry.

22. Lewis Denby says:

Thanks for all the well-wishes!

To answer a couple of questions, then:

I very much hope to continue writing for RPS, but it’ll be on a more as-and-when basis. As for why Mod News is ending, firstly the Hivemind have been hiveminding away on how RPS’ mod coverage can be even better – and basically, that means doing even more than just a weekly roundup. And the timing coincides with my being busier at BeefJack and at a few other places where I’m now writing more regularly, so it’s beneficial to me to free up a bit of work time.

I have no concerns about RPS’ mod coverage in the future. Don’t worry! Be happy! But it’s lovely to know so many people think my column will be missed.

• skinlo says:

Goodbye and take care!

• DrazharLn says:

Thanks for the news. I particularly enjoyed finding about all the newly announced mods and their crazy ideas.

You should definitely bother Jim about getting a pink background for your posts, though. It shows status.

23. YeOldeSnake says:

Damn , i really enjoyed this article series , you will be missed.
    I hope the new mod news lives up to it’s predeccessor , RIP Mod News

24. Bob Moron says:

Thanks for everything Lewis ! And good luck with, er, well… everything.

25. Zanchito says:

Thank you, Lewis, for all the work you’ve done, it’s been really great and I hope we will still be reading your contributions for a long while!

I’m thrilled at the prospect of any continuation or even improvement in mod reporting by RPS!

26. Vartesz says:

Thanks a lot for all the work, it has been a pleasure reading your summaries!

27. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Bye Lewis…

*sigh*

28. Urthman says:

Thanks, Lewis. I think you introduced me to the Research & Development mod, which by itself validates all the work you put into this column. Thank you.

29. Urael says:

Thanks, Lewis, for your tireless efforts to bring us all Modified Game news you could find. I’ve had some Fun Times from what I’ve found here – bless you, sir.

30. RagingLion says:

Thank you indeed.

31. JeremyHellstrom says:

/lurk
    Lewis, it has been a pleasure reading not only the content of your mod posts but also the writing style. I’m glad to hear you are sticking around, albeit on an intermittent basis, so I can still link to your posts. I am also gladdened to hear RPS will continue covering mods, as they are incredibly fun, community building and separate we PC gamers from the ones with overdeveloped thumbs.

32. Farsearcher says:

Thanks Lewie. I never really used mods much before due to having a slow connection but now I have a faster one your articles led me to some great things.

Hope you’ll be back on RPS in another form soon.

33. KindredPhantom says:

I can only guess that they plan to cover mods like they cover everything else on RPS, instead of giving it a weekly column.

34. Wooly says:

But… but… why? :(

35. Pinky G says:

Thankyou for this column. You will be missed.

36. Dances to Podcasts says:

Don’t be a stranger now, ya hear?

37. phuzz says:

Bye then :(

38. BathroomCitizen says:

Goodbye Lewis! I hope I’ll be able to read your stuff again sometimes in the future!

39. Davee says:

It’s been a pleasure, Mr Denby. You will be missed!

Comment on this story