Neverwinter Teaser, Site Open For Reg

By Jim Rossignol on June 8th, 2011 at 8:23 am.

You might recall that last year I talked to Cryptic’s Jack Emmert about the MMO he called “an old school Western tactical RPG”. It’s Neverwinter, a game that also, apparently, marks a new direction for the studio. You can see some of the fruits of that new direction over on the official site, and also in the teaser trailer below.

Looks like a fantasy action-RPG to me! Yes sir. The most interesting aspect of this, of course, is that Cryptic are planning to let people come up with their own dungeons, with their own fictions, to be installed in the world. If they pull it off it could be a genuinely interesting spin on the way these kinds of games work.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. cliffski says:

someone teach that skeleton how to hold a bow properly…please.

2. DSR says:

“The most interesting aspect of this, of course, is that Cryptic are planning to let people come up with their own dungeons, with their own fictions, to be installed in the world. If they pull it off it could be a genuinely interesting spin on the way these kinds of games work.”
    Hell, its about time…
    I was thinking about this since when I was playing my first MMORPG.
    Not MMO, but ARPG, Titan Quest got it right.
    You were able to import your character with hard earned loot into someone’s else custom map and play it.
    But you could not import back, in case the map is made for sole purpose of getting “free lewtz” with no monsters in it.

On a second thought, if THIS turns out to be just another hotkey MMO, I’ll pass…
    Sick of Ever-WoW-Quest style gameplay for the rest of my life.

But if it turns out like D&DO(AD&D system was used there too), I’ll be a happy man.

3. Valvarexart says:

Wait, so we would be able to implement elements of our own pleasings once the game has been released…into the game? Any more details on how this would work? If it works out well I shall be tossing money in heaps at the developers!

• TsunamiWombat says:

Likly with a toolset, and the ability to share modules, ala Little Big Planet or Infamous 2

• Sire says:

I’ve been waiting for this since the MUDs, the first MMO and probably the first games driven by user generated content.

Imagine a great co-op (or MMO) game that never “ends”, but lives on by a stream of user generated adventures.

There are several challenges of course, the biggest one being that 99% of everything user generated is utter shit. Everything needs to be AAA quality, and consistent with the world. Another challenge is how to solve revenue sharing (otherwise the 1% will probably leave). Let’s hope someone pulls it off, it’s certainly not impossible.

• TsunamiWombat says:

That game came out. it was called Neverwinter Nights. And lots of people still play it.

• Sire says:

If the quality of mods really is exceptional, then they failed at marketing.

I’m hoping Bethesda does something clever with Skyrim.

4. Gormongous says:

A full third of that trailer was logos.

5. Anthile says:

Is this going to be 4E? If not, I don’t think I’m interested.

6. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Dragon Age school of trailers.

7. Vexing Vision says:

So this looks like a HD version of DDO, a game that still holds a special place in my heart for allowing me to build a fighter with no strength, no dexterity, no constitution but a high intelligence and charisma. I want to be able to gimp my characters, it makes not gimping them so much more rewarding.

Not a fan of Cryptic or 4th Edition though, but definitely going to keep looking at this.

• Space_Masters says:

Yeah, pretty hard to gimp you character in D&D IV since most attacks just go off your best stat anyway.

• Jumwa says:

I don’t know of any 4th edition classes or abilities that work that way. There’s some that give you an option of two stats for choosing your modifier, such as Charisma or Constitution for a warlocks Eldritch Blast, but that’s hardly hindering you from ‘gimping’ your character. And since, like every other such case, which of those two stats you choose would be based upon your build. In this example, a Scourge Warlock who had Charisma instead of Constitution as their highest attribute would suffer for it a lot.

It’s nothing like you’re making it out to be.

8. TsunamiWombat says:

The original NeverWinter Nights (made by Bioware) not only let you create your own dungeons, but your own modules- complete worlds. Your own items, your own monsters, your own everything. What couldn’t be modified in vanilla was later modified by a vast mod community that has made Neverwinter Nights last for well over a decade and is still an ‘MMO’ (from before the era of big mmos) that I play to this day. Thousands of people, playing the same game, playing entirely different games. The best way to describe it is an Easybake Oven for MMO’s- the NWN toolset is something to behold and nothing quite like it has been done since. The much fan reviled, NWN2, made by obsidian, was a huge step back both in terms of flexibility and in alot of ways balance and fidelity.

Bioware passed on making NWN 2 so they could go on to design Mass Effect. I have mixed feelings about that to this day.

I encourage all of you, if you find this intruiging, to look up Neverwinter Nights, which you can find at Good Old Games or in boutiques as Neverwinter Nights Diamond edition, which includes all the expansions that Bioware made for it. Then do some google fu, search out NWN Vault, for the communities best in modifications and expansions (theres a whole community expansion pack called CEP that includes new models for monsters, weapons, and clothing), overrides that change how spells work, how things look…

I still log onto NWN at least once a day to drop into my server (not literally, MY server), Escape from the Underdark: Archipelago, a RP focused server with a dynamic storyline told by 30+ individual players all roleplaying their own characters and shaping a hard fantasy world set in the Forgotten Realms setting that could put A Game of Thrones to shame with it’s political intruige. Neverwinter Nights is the as of yet unchallenged apex of what fan created content can do.

• DSR says:

“the NWN toolset is something to behold and nothing quite like it has been done since”

TES Construction Set?
      Also, TES3 was released before Neverwinter.

• TsunamiWombat says:

Comes very close, though NWN is for a multiplayer game that lets you create your own persistant multiplayer worlds, all TES modification is by it’s very nature singleplayer modding.

• Vexing Vision says:

I enjoyed NWN a lot, but seriously, NWN2 was more powerful.

NWN wouldn’t allow you to play guitar hero, NWN2 has a whole module designed around that.

• caesarbear says:

TES Construction Set was not in the same league as the NWN1/2 toolkit. I have great respect for Morrowind, but the NWN toolkit stands alone in terms of giving gamers the ability to create worlds and design adventures. The NWN2 toolset did indeed have more features, but is highly crash prone and riddled with bugs and glaring omissions. Obsidian never fixed the toolset for NWN2 and it’s maddening to work with. Bioware back in the day, released many updates and improvement for the toolset and that’s the reason why it was far and away the better and more productive toolset for creating adventures. We will likely never see it duplicated. Certainly not by Cryptic.

9. rvdleun says:

Having been a big fan of Neverwinter Nights a few years back, I’m keeping an eye on this game. One thing I loved about the game was the DM Client, it allowed for some awesome gaming sessions where you could make decisions beyond any of the usual preprogrammed story arcs. Add a toolset that is fairly simple to use, but still supporting powerful features to customize(the appearance tab was mad) and script, and you had a game that you could play once a week that would adapt to whatever the players were doing. I DMed a game for about three years for five players, and I think that was likely my best game experience ever.

I understand that for now, the Foundry will likely allow you to simply build modules for other players to explore, but I really hope to see some sort of DM Client feature in the future.

10. Mayjori says:

fell asleep during the logos, was the meat any good?

11. wodin says:

I hate that bright colourful cartoony fantasy style…with a vengence…

• rivalin says:

It’s especially egregious when they do it to an established IP that’s now probably the only IP that sticks to a traditional understated fantasy look. Ironically what used to be “generic fantasy look” is now so rare that it’s more interesting than the “LOLZ LOOK AT MY HUGE SHOULDER PADZ!!!” look which runs from WOW though to Dragon Age .

12. Hoaxfish says:

Wait… is this a city-centric MMO type thing?

i.e. not roaming about in the fields and forests killing orcs and angry ponies, but punching hobos and beating up wizard-nobles, knocking over posh houses?

13. I3LiP says:

This gives me hope that they will finally (re)release the rest of the NWN premium modules in some kind of marketing ploy.

The fact that they simply refuse to let us give them money for it is quite astounding really.

• Rob Maguire says:

I have a deep loathing for Atari, for this among many other transgressions. Luckily, I still have all the non-disc premium modules backed up somewhere (assuming they will still activate, damned DRM).

And you’ve also reminded me that there will never be a followup to the Kingmaker premium module. Damn you.

Not a perfect module, granted, but it had interesting characters. I mean, seriously, your party was: a badly burnt and scarred dryad, a cowardly wererat, a berserker azer (basically, a dwarf who is constantly on fire) and a non-evil rakshasha wizard. Your weapon was shapeshifting, sentient, and would kill you if you failed.

*SPOILERS*
      Said weapon was also your paladin grandfather, polymorphed by your scheming grandmother, who according to my hazy memory was either a demon or dragon. The villian was a mind flayer, who was also your half-brother. The hook to the sequel was finding out what the hell is going on, and why your grandmother pushed you into becoming King.
      */SPOILERS*

Oh, right, wrong Neverwinter. Anyway, the only thing in this title that provokes even slight interest in me is the module creator, so my purchase depends entirely on how well that turns out.

14. Zurechial says:

Dick-shaped dungeons incoming. Mark my words.

15. InternetBatman says:

A couple things:

They didn’t show any gameplay, so right now it looks no more tactical than any other MMO.

Doesn’t lego universe feature a similar content creation style thing?

I hate the city of Neverwinter. It’s boring and generic fantasyville. I really wish they would take a page from Interplay’s book and make some games revolving around cities in different parts of the world. Both NWN and NWN2 were much more interesting when they went to different places like the Dessert, Underdark, and Rasheman. Maybe they could go to Calimsham or follow the Golden Road east, or have an entire game based in Thay. Anything but the traditional Neverwinter.

Finally, I wish Wizards of the Coast would give the damn license to a better company. Cryptic has an arguably horrible track record at this point and Atari isn’t much better.

16. Zyrxil says:

Well that looked fairly uninteresting. And don’t tell me they’re still using the NWN2 Electron engine…

17. Chikiwikie says:

O my gawd, art style alone makes this a dont buy for me.

18. Yosharian says:

Woo a bunch of cutscenes, great! Make your own dungeons sounds interesting but I’m sick of these boring as fuck trailers with no gameplay and nothing interesting going on.

19. Grayvern says:

This saddens me, I used to love playing NWN mods, It’s a shame that 2 was so badly optimised that it culled many of the community.
    TES construction set does not count as it was difficult to create new worlds and little impetus to do so.
    Without a true NWN 3 then we are a lot poorer, NWN fostered a community of people who created great single player experiences and shared them with people. Where nearly all other construction sets or tools simply lead to people creating guns and houses.

Comment on this story