Razer Announce Old Republic Gaming Gear

By Quintin Smith on June 8th, 2011 at 2:12 pm.

May the force feedback be with you.

Well, Razer’s just announced a new range of PC peripherals branded around upcoming MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic, and… well, it’s not like I can tell you whether they’re any good. They’ve only just been announced. But they’re certainly the most ludicrous bits of kit I’ve seen in a while, so top marks there. You’ll find the trailer after the jump. Yes, a trailer. For a keyboard.

Yes, it’ll retail at $199.99. But what you’re looking at there is a multi-touch LCD track panel. Above that, a suite of Dynamic Adaptive Tactile Keys. And you’ve got a Customisable Lighting System that lets you change the backlight to whatever you like. Wow. Amazing. Also, check out this stunning bit of manufacturer fluff on the slim height of the keys.

But wait! There’s more! The Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ keyboard is only part of a larger set of the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ peripherals. Click here to see the matching mousepad ($49.99), hexagonal headphones ($129.99) and dangerous-looking mouse ($129.99).

What do we think, people. Any takers?

, , , .

1. Balm says:

Not before those lazy fucks will come good on their Special Portal Joystick promise.

• MadTinkerer says:

Well according to their website, it’s out sometime this month. I’m sure they’re just suffering from a bit of Valve Time due to the Portal 2 bundle.

Vandelay says:

Yes, this month, finally. There is a disclaimer on buying that lists the latest date it may ship, but can’t remember what it is now (look at it yourselves, lazy buggers.)

The pricing is insane though. US price of $139.99, with Portal 2, is okay, but Euro price is one of those “replace the dollar sign with a €” deals. That’s a little over 120 of the The One True Coin (£). Add the fact that they don’t seem interested in selling it without a copy of Portal 2, which surely everybody has now, I’m feeling quite disappointed.

I’ll probably still get one, but they really aren’t going to make this a successes and have future games truly support the hardware with the pricing and general lack of decent marketting for it (simple things like announcing a release date.)

2. _Jackalope_ says:

No interest in the game, but shamefully I want that keyboard. So shiny.

EDIT. Screw that, went to their website and saw the TRON one. Maybe I can persuade a foolish and gullible family member to believe I shall love them more if they buy it for me.

• jon_hill987 says:

The TRON one is pretty…

• Wulf says:

The SW:TOR keyboard is boring, but that’s because I tend to find SW:TOR boring (why do they refuse to use the more interesting parts of the Star Wars Universe, and insist on such incredibly WoW-like play/).

However… that TRON keyboard is decidedly wonderful and horribly tempting.

3. Vexing Vision says:

Actually, I kind of think it’s cool, and I do need a new keyboard.

Hum!

I don’t want to play SWTOR for more than a month though….

• Vexing Vision says:

Why do they present me with blinking lights when I am trying to find out the price for this thing! AAAAH BLINKING LIGHTS PRETTY!

4. Smannesman says:

That might just be the first keyboard I spend more than $10 bucks on, I want to get my Sith on.

5. abigbat says:

I just spend a million pounds on an Anansi, but that does look neat in a slightly cringey way.

6. westyfield says:

My keyboard smells, unsurprisingly, of plastic.
    While I don’t care about tOR, that is a pretty keyboard. RESPLENDENT!

• RP says:

How does a keyboard even get stinky? You know what, don’t answer that.

7. Drake Sigar says:

Only $199.99? We can’t afford not to buy it!

8. somini says:

Is it mandatory to reference Star Wars™ and The Old Republic™ with ™? Really? What’s the Origin™ of that? LucasArts™ lawyers have nothing else to do?

9. Duffin says:

Good keyboard…. evil keyboard… good keyboard….. evil keyboard!

10. Tyshalle says:

Is that a touchpad? Why would anyone with a mouse need one of those for a non-laptop? Doesn’t it just kind of make your keyboard unnecessarily 20% larger? Where do you put your mouse, with a keyboard that wide?

• Duffin says:

Everytime you attempt to use the touchpad the keyboard plays a voice: “Use the force Luke”.

Horza says:

Won’t have to move your hand away from the keyboard when doing Serious Stuff perhaps?

The touchpad looks actually useful, but perhaps not 200e (because that’s what it’s going to cost in europe) worth of useful.

• Mist says:

I’d really like having a touchpad on the left side of my keyboard. On the right side might be better for those who really want to use their right hand, but it does mean that it’s a lot further removed from the normal typing-position. With a left-side touchpad, you could be typing, move your hand a few centimeters (or maybe even just stretch your fingers a bit) to do some mouse-y things, and then continue typing.
      a keyboard/touchpad combo would also be pretty handy for those who have their PCs attached to their tv… (using a separate mouse while sitting/lying on the couch is doable, but not ideal in my experience)

Man Raised by Puffins says:

@ Duffin: Ah, that brings back memories: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tc-dbyUjjc#t=4m5s

• Eclipse says:

that’s one multitouch lcd panel, and above there are several customizable keys, i think it’s quite pretty! But yeah, I’m not going to use that thing if I have a mouse

11. Coins says:

It looks very shiny. I like shiny keyboards, though the right touchpad or whatever it is is a bit off-putting.

12. arienette says:

Quicker key pressing, to help you get round those nasty skill cooldowns.

13. Noc says:

Ooh, Dynamic Adaptive Tactile Keys. Just what my life’s been missing!

• Ayn Rand says:

And LEDs. Just think, in the future Razer may make a keyboard entirely out of LEDs. It will go well with our new gaming rigs, which will be made entirely from blue LED technology.

LEDs are the future.

14. johnpeat says:

It’s a well known fact that keyboards work better when filled with bits of Cheesy Poof…

15. pakoito says:

How about they talk about their game features other that CONSTANT CUTSCENES for once.

16. BigJonno says:

“How’s your keyboard? Old? Stinky? Are there so many crumbs under the keys that you can barely type, and when you can it sounds like somebody eating biscuits?”

Yes! YES! I admit it. How did you know my secret shame?

17. Hoaxfish says:

Where’s my New Monarchy keyboard?

18. Subject 706 says:

Lose that horrendous color scheme and Star Wars branding, and the keyboard actually looks a bit interesting. Razers mice though…ugh. Always hated them. They are far inferior to Logitech mice in my opinion.

• aircool says:

I like my Razor Mouse. It’s so old it would need carbon dating, but it still works wonderfully.

• Fumarole says:

My Deathadder is the best mouse I’ve ever used and has lasted me years.

19. Hunam says:

Needs more numpad.

20. johnpeat says:

Nothing will part me from my X6 – not even the fact it’s now irreplacable :(

Note: That’s a Sidewinder X6 – not a car BMW make for overweathly blind idiots…

21. nootron says:

I just bought this case because it looks like a storm trooper.
    I have no shame.
    Give me that keyboard

22. Kollega says:

$50 for a mousepad? 200 bucks for a keyboard, even such a shiny and futuristic one? No thanks. I’d rather spend such a large amount of money on something more neccesary, like food, medication, Playboy magazines, or a suitcase nuke. Yes, in Russia a suitcase nuke is an actual neccesiety on par with Playboy, and yes, you can buy it for mere $250 – they’ll even throw in a discount if you happen to know the dealer’s uncle! It’s true!

The above statement may not actually be true.

23. MiniMatt says:

Do the keys look a little 48K Speccy to anyone?

24. Rii says:

Fucking Razer and their ricer shit.

I’ve been on the lookout for the perfect mechanical keyboard of late and the Razer BlackWidow comes close, except for the part where it’s shiny instead of matte and has this giant, illuminated Razer logo plastered on it.

Fucking Razer.

25. Nallen says:

What is this I don’t even

26. Derpentine says:

Scissor switches and island keys – lets pick more RSI inducing components for our MMO keyboard, teach those neeeeerds. At least the windows key looks like good ol Goatse.

Oh, and I think I need to throw up all over my desk now, those colours.

27. Betamax says:

I’ll stick with my brightly coloured pens, coffee stains and amusingly shaped stickers thanks. The game itself is looking like a rolicking good time however.

28. Kdansky says:

Thank you very much, but I’ll stick with my overpriced piece of mechanical switch awesomeness instead:

I love these switches.

29. Reddin says:

I like my typing crunchy, thank you very much.

30. dragonhunter21 says:

Homina HOMINA.

Assuming there’s no specific labeling on the board to identify it as Star-Wars themed, I’m all in for this. Especially considering that LCD in the right corner, there.

If only I had $200 to toss on things like this. Ah well.

31. ananachaphobiac says:

When I was at school, I used to get beat up for wanting things like this. I demand a free one as compensation!

32. aircool says:

Touch typing? On that keyboard? May as well just buy a Mac and lop off all but one of my mouse digits.

33. bpdlr says:

Is it me, or are the icons on that touchpad from Rift? Top left one looks like the Stealth ability, and the bottom right is Backstab…

34. Tom OBedlam says:

I’m so ashamed of myself, but so help me I’d get one if I had the money

35. Werthead says:

“Just as smugglers fast draw their blasters to shoot enemies dead before they can react, the resplendent gold backlit slim key caps on the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ keyboard by Razer allow faster actuation and shorter travel distance.”

Interesting. So now my fingers can do the K-to-L run in less than 12 parsecs? Nice.

Foosnark says:

We can’t withstand a keyboard of that magnitude!

Carra says:

My ridiculously expensive logitech gaming keyboard will have to last for a while longer.

Couldn’t resist the fact that it’s a programmable keyboard…

38. Holybasil says:

B…b…but what about my Tron keyboard? That’s no good anymore? sadface

39. chelseascum says:

I’d probably buy that stuff, if it was like 1/3 the price mentioned. At those prices though, no way.

40. geldonyetich says:

Ooh, that’s going to hurt when that game flops. So, whatever happened to our completely customizable LCD keyboard?

41. Iskariot says:

Ugly design. Even my old Microsoft Natural 4000 looks like it is 10 generations younger than this shit.
    And the pricing is preposterous. I wouldn’t want this on my desk for free.

42. TollTheRavens says:

But I already paid $199 for a Logitech keyboard!

Eh, guess I can dual wield them or something.

43. matrices says:

When are they going to stop jerking us around and give us a fully customizable keyboard like the one they’re making for that horribly useless portable gaming console?

Physical keys, but no fixed lettering – instead adjusts the icon or letter or phrase based on what game or app you’re running.

44. sexyresults says:

Oh I want the tron peripherals. So shiny.

Junch says:

I wrote that bit of marketing fluff and am chuffed that you guys are covering it. I’m down at the Razer booth at e3 if John wants to stop by for a chat about the product suite LULZ. He did earlier on the 1st day but had to dash off someplace else straight after.