Blimey: Carrier Command, The E3 Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on June 9th, 2011 at 12:00 pm.

But yes!
Carrier Command is being remade by Bohemia Interactive. I know! I’ve even been playing it, and I’ll be putting up a hands-on preview, as well as interview with BIS boss Marek Spanel, on Monday. In the meantime you can take a look at the trailer they’ve released for the E3 reveal of the game. It’s an all-new engine, not the Arma 2 engine, as we’d previously thought, and it’s really not much like BIS’ other games. Intriguing indeed! More on that next week.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Deccan says:

Carrier Command!

I still play the original from time to time. Anyone know of any proto-sandbox games that came before it (i.e. before 1988)?

2. Anthile says:

Is that part of this Atari remake series?

3. InsidiousBoot says:

Looks sweet, I haven’t played the original though.

4. CMaster says:

Oooh, Planetsidey

5. Biscuitry says:

Huh, I thought this had vanished into the aether. Glad to see it’s still in the works.

6. leeder krenon says:

played the original on the Speccy. looks a bit different…

• Biscuitry says:

The Spectrum port was hardly representative. Look up the version that appeared on Amiga, Atari ST and DOS; the trailer actually paints it as being pretty close to the mark – from what little you can see from it.

EDIT: Whoops. Got my versions mixed up. It was the C64 version that was rendered differently.

• jonfitt says:

I think they changed the icons in this new version.

• Negativeland says:

Hey, at least it’s not a Facebook game.

7. Vexing Vision says:

If the Carrier has the same amount of different systems, damage mechanics and everything from the original, I’ll die of dehydration due to not being able to leave my computer once this comes out.

Although the islands look pretty big.

8. icupnimpn2 says:

Trying to figure out what is so uncanny about the guy saying, “Sir, welcome on board.” I think it’s that he opens his mouth in a closed-tooth grin to make an “ess” sound.

• Shadowcat says:

It’s more that his mouth hardly moves *from* that position :) It’s weird… when he says “board” the sides of his mouth do actually move inwards just slightly, so they can do it, but even the “W” sound has his lips stretched out wide. I think maybe the default position is simply too wide. Or hell, maybe they lip-synched it using someone who looks like that when they talk. Who knows!

9. Urael says:

While this is based on the not-exactly-acclaimed Gaea novels I do hope it retains enough of it’s distinguished parent DNA to be the modern update I think many of us are looking for.
    Retro-deliverance fairies, please don’t let me down.

10. misterk says:

My memories of the original are of being utterly rubbish, taking over at most one island then running out of resources ’cause I couldn’t work out how to resupply. One game I decided to just go for an epic battle, and headed directly for the enemy carrier… so I waited… and waited…. and got bored and had lunch, then came back to my carrier being on fire. Wasn’t quite the epic conflict I craved…

11. Colthor says:

It looks like Carrier Command! Please be like Carrier Command.

12. Rossi says:

Brilliant! Loved this game on the Amiga!

13. westyfield says:

Never played a CC game before, but Bohemia Interactive does future strategy/vehicle combat? My monies, take all of them.

14. BooleanBob says:

Phew! Good thing he managed to roll out of the way of that missile, eh?

15. Lord Byte says:

I actually liked Hostile Waters more! While not as free-form it was brilliant in many other ways!

16. Bursar says:

How does it compare to Hostile Waters?

17. Diziet Sma says:

This is very good and interesting news indeed. Carrier Command was ace but bastard hard. Hopefully this will be hard but less of the bastard.

18. Heliocentric says:

That’s right bald headed man, be careful that missile doesn’t hit you directly, because then it would be a hittile.

19. _Jackalope_ says:

Please tell us it will have multiplayer!

20. nickylee says:

I used to spend hours playing this on my Amiga. I hope it lives up to the original.

21. Gap Gen says:

It’s great Bohemia finally have the space to breathe and branch out. Maybe this means that the ArmA series will finally have the budgets and production values it so desperately deserves?

22. fuggles says:

I still have hostile waters and still love it! Can’t wait for this.

23. Turin Turambar says:

Well… it’s not the arma 2 engine… because it’s the arma 2.5 engine, an in between step between arma 2 and arma 3.

• royaltyinexile says:

While Take On and A3 are on parallel development of the next-gen of arma platform, CC is a completely distinct engine engine with its own tool set and technology.

24. pepper says:

For those that where waitin for respawn when Carrier command came out:

25. bill says:

Looks remarkably like Hostile Waters. That is awesome.

26. Rii says:

The trailer didn’t actually turn me off the game, but nor did it give me any indication as to whether this is in fact something I want to play or not.

Looking forward to your preview Mr. Rossignol.

27. Doth Messar says:

Kinda looks like Ground Control II a bit. Except for the 1st person part.

28. Jake says:

Oh so close, that aircraft carrier almost managed to shoot a guy in the arse with a missile. That would have been one to tell the grandkids about. Probably unlocks a really rare achievement too.

29. Ed says:

Mushroom clouds are the new lens flare

30. dogsolitude_uk says:

Wow… Really looking forward to this. I had it on the Atari ST back in the day, and thoroughly enjoyed playing it very badly and not getting anywhere in it!

Definitely on my ‘buy’ list :)

31. SquidgyB says:

In my mind’s eye I can see the jewel case of my Hostile Waters CD.

Buggered if I can find it though.

32. JB says:

OK, Hostile Waters has been found and reinstalled!

Pugio In Averso Belli etc etc

33. Johnny99.1 says:

So excited I registered after, like, a year of lurking just to comment.

Seriously, this was like the first proper, complicated, challenging game I ever played (i.e. not Double Dragon II or Treasure Island Dizzy). I must have been about ten. Bless the Atari ST.

I borrowed it, loved it, got my dad to photocopy the whole manual which was needed for the copy protection, played it for a whole summer. Totally failed to get anywhere. Repeatedly.

Play the game where you start at opposite ends of the islands, have about ten islands with a supply chain working, then the enemy carrier arrives and takes your islands off you, going wherever you aren’t.

Play the game where you both start with an empire in the middle. Try and fight the enemy carrier. It runs away. Tail it around your empire constantly failing to catch it. Lose.

Once I ran into it, wounded it so its engines weren’t working properly. Caught it up properly. It sunk me.

Great game. Love to know if I was just ten, or if it was really difficult. Anyone? Anyone beat it? Did you exploit a flaw or was it actually beatable in straight play?

34. Sardaukar says:

Oh man oh man. I always wanted to play the original CC, but my only experience with this sort of thing is Hostile Waters.

I have connections to someone at BIS, though, maybe if I beg enough he’ll let me in on whatever beta there is, if any.

35. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

I have been patiently avoiding checking on this game and waiting for this moment.

Pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood.