GamersGate FreeGames Beta SignUp

By Jim Rossignol on June 9th, 2011 at 5:55 pm.

So here’s an interesting thing. GamersGate are soon going to be launching an ad-support free gaming service. Details are sketchy at the moment, but there’s a big old timer counting down on their site, and a registration form for the beta on the same page. The blurb says: “GamersGate, the premier digital distribution service for games, today announced the launch of FreeGames, a free-to-play ad supported platform for PC and Mac games. FreeGames allows users to play and enjoy both PC and Mac titles free of charge after watching a short advertisement at the launch of the game. Gamers will be able to have up to five games available for free on their account at any time with the capability to add additional games.”

Hmm! I’ll drop them a line and find out exactly what they’re up to.

, .

1. Xocrates says:

“Hmm! I’ll drop them a line and find out exactly what they’re up to.”

Please do. I will be very surprised if we can get the full game for free at the cost of “watching a short advertisement at the launch of the game”

I’m expecting either a subscription fee or a time limit per game, but if this does deliver what it suggests it does, it could prove pretty damn awesome.

• d32 says:

We are already watching lots of advertisement at the beginning of many games and we pay for it!

2. Raiyan 1.0 says:

First ArmA goes free, now this dig at F2P…

Meanwhile, XBoxers are still paying for their Live account.

• Axess Denyd says:

“Meanwhile, XBoxers are still paying for their Live account.”

ZING!

3. talon03 says:

“GamersGate, the premier digital distribution service for games…”

Erm, yeah ok. Whatever.

4. faelnor says:

I’d rather pay for my games and play them whenever I feel like it, without ads.

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

I shudder to mention piracy here but one of the main arguments in favour of piracy is trying a game before you buy it to see if it is any good. Putting aside whether you agree with that assertion or not, ad supported free versions would provide a legitimate way to try before you buy.

• gwathdring says:

I think that’s exactly why this sort of thing might work. Sure there will be people who are willing to play the free games–probably enough to keep the ad revenue coming in. But enough people will get impatient with the ads and the limitations that it won’t kill their regular business model.

PS. Also, yes I don’t think it will have a noticable impact on piracy but it will certainly satisfy customers who want to give things a try before slapping down $50. Especially since demos went out of vogue.

• Kelron says:

I’d rather wait and see what they’re offering before making snap judgements. More free stuff is always good, and Gamersgate are my favourite of the D2D services, even if their prices are less competitive than Steam’s.

• Fumarole says:

Not the P word!

• icupnimpn2 says:

I think this is an ideal service for GamersGate in particular. They carry a lot of obscure, European, and obscure European titles that don’t offer demos. I’ve been curious before but have not wanted to pay without knowing what I’m getting into, especially when there are few credible reviews available in English. So pay for my games, yeah, when I’m sure I want to buy.

5. Vague-rant says:

Interesting times indeed.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

6. Gunrun says:

Um. So, the timer is 3 fucking months away.

7. Berzee says:

Hulu for games? That sounds awesome. =)

8. Novotny says:

They’re just asking the same old question that everyone is trying to answer: ‘How can we make the same sort of money as Facebook?’ There’s evil in there somewhere I’m sure of it.

• iniudan says:

The evil is if your Finnish, Norwegian or especially Danish, since gamersgate is a Swedish business.

• Kaira- says:

Especially the evil is if you are Finnish (like me), because Swedes are the arch-nemesi of Finnish. Or well, now that we beat them in ice-hockey, they are kinda okay.

9. QualityJeverage says:

I know this is legitimate, but the whole “Download Games Free – Legally!” thing tends to mean the opposite for me. When I see a website go out of its way to assure me that it’s legal, it usually tells me that it isn’t.

Obviously that isn’t the case here. That’s just how my mind tends to read that.

10. Cuttooth says:

Since Spotify has recently had to abandon the whole free-to-listen, ad supported music service idea, I can’t see a similar thing really working for PC games. Hope it does though, obviously. I imagine it won’t actually be for new releases though. Even then probably not the bigger games.

11. James G says:

I can’t see this replacing me paying money for games, but I can definitely see it as a way of trying stuff out. Or at least, that’s the theory. In practice I can also see myself being caught between a reluctance to pay for something I can currently access for free, couple with a reluctance to play the damn thing as the adverts are intrusive and make me feel skeevy. (Adware has a bad reputation in my mind for being resource hungry and untrustworthy)

I can also see some folk feeling less guilty about hacking the games to bypass the ads than they would just torrenting the thing. Not sure the effects of this are quite so simple to dissect as piracy, although as this will depend on the exact agreement of advertisers it might be a very confused situation indeed.

12. princec says:

Specifically what are they going to advertise? Probably only more games. Someone’s actually eventually got to put money into the system or it’ll collapse like a giant pyramid scheme. But if this system is a desperate attempt to make more money out of chronically tightwad gamers with entitlement complexes it’s going to collapse horribly.

Probably.

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

I dunno, the gamer demographic is generally one with plenty of disposable income and thus attractive to all sorts of companies.

13. aircool says:

Years ago, I would have got up a head of steam (no pun intended – or evident if I think about it, all because steam is a D2D service, anyway, main topic) about advertising in games blah, blah, blah. However, you can’t avoid the evils of marketing. If there was a game I was interested in, I’d quite happily spend the time not watching the adverts, but getting a drink or emptying my bladder in preparation of playing the game.
    Simply put – Bring it on, no-one is actually going to watch those adverts anyway…
    …Hang on, I didn’t say that. They marketing drones might read it and realise their huge mistake.

[edit] oh, and gamersgate isn’t bad. I’ve had some good bargains from them, and it was the only site that was selling UFO:ET when it was released.

14. noom says:

Well this is great. Soon we’ll reach the point where every single facet of our lives will be paid for by advertising revenue, then we won’t need to buy a thing!

15. Scare Tactics says:

Check the trailer on their site..first hit when searching for free games downloads: pirate bay ;)

16. wodin says:

I had a go of APB reloaded the other day…good for a freebie..but didn’t have a clue what to do…and full of idiots…

17. Boozebeard says:

Sounds doomed to fail, much like spotifies free service.

18. bill says:

These things always remind me of Gametap… which i thought was a great idea… but which never quite worked out.

Is that still going? Does it still have a selection of free games you can play after watching ads?

Thanks to gametap I got to play psychonauts, colin mcrae, a couple of tomb raiders, and a few other games for free, And watching the ads on launch wasn’t much of a hassle.

19. Bloodymir says:

Maybe the games are free, but we will need to pay to watch the advertisement :)