The Blood Is Love: Crusader Kings 2 Trailer

By Quintin Smith on June 9th, 2011 at 10:29 am.

These six mile high robot men are at the top of the tech tree, obviously

Are you excited about Crusader Kings 2? No? That must be because you don’t know what it is. You can read my preview here, but the long and short of it is that the original Crusader Kings sat you in the role of a medieval king, but let you concern yourself more with relationships and human politics than what you were going to build where, or how you were going to invade your peaceful neighbours, or any of the mathematical, combative problems that we’ve come to expect from grand strategy games. No, instead you had to worry about that weird uncle of yours with the glassy eye usurping the throne, or your heir being hated by the entire nation, and the like. Good stuff, and the sequel’s looking more impressive in every respect.

The E3 trailer also wins the RPS award for “Most Optimistic Musical Score”. How dramatic can footage of maps and statistics be? This dramatic.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Jubaal says:

Sound interesting, though I had no idea what was going on in the video as they felt the need to rush the gameplay past you faster than a fiddlers elbow!

• iniudan says:

This is a paradox game, even if you saw lengthier gameplay footage you wouldn’t really understand what going on without having play yourself or someone explaining in detail.

Their game have pretty steep learning curve, hell of fun once you understand it on the other hand. =)

• RoteByrd says:

Basically, in the beginning, the King of France uses his high Prestige, which is a measure of his awesome power to manufacture a claim on Normandy (also with a reference to the new reputation system where you do not have relations that are slowly changed, people can hate you in an instant if you do bad things to them), he then raises the feudal levies and invades.

The next scene is where they show off the new family tree viewer (which is much better looking than CK 1′s). Then King of France gets one of the new special events where I guess…. one of his vassals sucks as a ruler and his people are angry with him and it is up to you to decide what to do.

Then they essentially show off some of the new battle message/info stuff (which also looks beautiful imo) Also, digging a little deeper that picture of the battle window shows the new 3 commander system where up to 3 commanders are chosen to lead in battle and each one can have heroic or cowardly moments, so your mix of commanders could have a huge effect on the way a battle goes.

I basically pieced this info together from dev logs I’ve read and preview videos I’ve seen. check it out.

2. Squirrelfanatic says:

Crusader Kings – Sowing your seed into your neighbours’ succession since 2004.

3. Vexing Vision says:

I actually giggled at the dramatic music showing stats and maps and attack plans.

Very much looking forward to it.

4. Myros says:

Is still my favorite Paradox title, there was something about growing a dynasty and watching it tear itself apart that was appealing.

5. Drake Sigar says:

So this basically takes the intuitive heir system from Total War games we all adore and bases an entire game around it?

Awesome!

• iniudan says:

Total War intuitive heir system ? Sorry but I got to LOL.

Actually this game got more like 7 heir system.

Seniority (oldest man in the dynasty succeeds)
      Primogeniture (oldest son succeeds)
      Elective (the current king and the dukes each nominate a successor)
      Gavelkind (all titles are divided among the sons of the ruler)
      Turkish (a succession crisis is almost guaranteed, but the vassals are content)
      Republican (a random vassal or courtier succeeds; used for republics, etc)
      Catholic Bishopric (the liege lord can override the Pope’s choice by nominating his own successor)

• Urael says:

Kings: so vain. always worrying about their heir.

6. tomeoftom says:

Wait. This headline has been used before.

• Vandalbarg says:

Crusader Kings 2: Crusade Harder.

Seriously though Paradox are a wonderful company and I don’t I’ve ever been disappointed with their games. EU3 is still my bench mark for strategy games.

7. Darko Drako says:

So looking forward to this.

Viva la bastards!

8. Jae Armstrong says:

>Not splitting token siege forces from the main advance to take Eu and Rouen at the same time as Evreux and Maine

OH SHIT WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Anyway, this is P’dox’s best trailer effort to date. Slowly but surely they are grasping the strange and esoteric concept that is marketing.

9. Saiko Kila says:

“May contain content inappropriate for children”? Only inappropriate thing for them was that smallish font. I really hope they will improve the interface. While I really like Crusader Kings 1, I often have to take a pause because of nightmarish controls. I know that CK2 is not a console game, so fonts taking half a screen would be unfitting, but don’t follow the example of Anno 1404, where reading text on bigger screens with smaller dots is almost impossible. And no customization available.

• Jae Armstrong says:

I wrote a big long post on this, but decided to scrap it in favour of:

If you want to get a feel for how CK2′s interface will feel, play V2. Reference to a game on a different engine made seven years ago (seven years which P’dox have spent placing a major focus on accessibility, no less) that was, originally, a hack job by a third party dev that had to be hastily fixed by the in-house team is meaningless in the face of that. Doubly so, given that for Paradox games on the same engine have far more in common than games in the same series.

Plus, the video is clearly demonstrating an interface that is light-years ahead of CK1. And, though admittedly this it going to depend a lot on your monitor’s DPI and personal preferences, if the font were much larger than that, I’d be the one bitching about wasting valueable screen space on overlarge text.

10. innokenti says:

2012 is still so far far away.

11. sparna says:

I signed up just to ask this, because of the title….

Is Quintin a QOTSA fan?

If not I’ll look like one of those turds desperately trying to make associations where there are none. Good day!

• Quintin Smith says:

I like me some Queens, yes. So much so I apparently used this headline before.

12. Zwebbie says:

Paradox gave everyone who received their newsletter a key for the original Crusader Kings just last month. Which, in retrospect, might have been something worth posting on RPS, as I, for one, only found out later and had to dig the newsletter e-mail out of the trash folder, and I imagine more people accidentally missed it.
    It’s great! In the few hours that I’ve gotten to play with CK, my king already had to pay large sums of money to keep his own mother from revolting. There’s a nice ebb and flow to it too, where you have a bad king or just rough times and keeping everything steady is the order of the day instead of conquering. And CKII looks even better.

13. weetchex says:

With the small font, I couldn’t make out much except for the pop-up “Turns out He’s a bad ruler.”

made me giggle

14. jeremypeel says:

‘Many were called. Few were chosen’. An oddly mournful, and consequently quite lovely tagline.

Colour me in-tree-ged. Family trees? Ugh, sorry.

15. Torgen says:

Do. Want.

I do wish there were a handy, optional in-game journal though, as by the time I come back to a saved game after even just a few days, I forget who hates whom, what I was doing, etc and can’t find my notes. This leads me to starting from scratch yet again. :(

16. Nameless1 says:

Must buy for me.

17. Gormongous says:

That family tree is quite comely, certainly more so than the rough character viewer from the first game. Did EU: Rome have a similar thing? I seem to recall someone saying as much, but I could never stomach more than ten minutes of that game.

18. inawarminister says:

Oh God oh God please make Muslims and Pagans playable oh Lord I want to do a re-re-conquista with vassals with personality, please! :D

Edit: Ah, barring that, mods, please! The original ones have problem with Muslims not allowed to claim titles, I think? Also badboy score still going upwards even though we’re invading heathens/Christians