Amy Looks Beautiful, Tender, Grim

By Jim Rossignol on June 10th, 2011 at 2:31 pm.

IGN are reporting that Amy, Vector Cell’s game that had previously only been confirmed for PSN, has now been spotted on the radar of other formats, including Steam. It’s a game about a zombie contagion and Amy, a little girl who is resistant to it. You play a woman intent on rescuing the titular zombie survivor, who must lead the little girl through dangerous environments. But this woman is not resistant to the infection: she is slowly turning into a zombie and have to deal with it by scavenging medical supplies or hugging Amy herself to stave off the march of zombification for a few moments. There’s a video below.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. baby snot says:

That’s taking the whole ‘Free Hugs’ thing in a new direction.

2. Moni says:

Creator of Flashback/Fade to Black, obvious comparison to Ico… filed under “interesting”.

3. Kaira- says:

That looks really interesting. I wonder how the zombification is implemented to the game, and what kind of things it can lead to.

4. Keymonk says:

This is quite cool. However, I’m sure I’d be scared shitless playing it, so I’m not likely to do so.

5. Daiv says:

I didn’t know you could combat the zombie plague with hugs. I guess I should feel bad for all those headshot double-taps.

6. CaspianRoach says:

Here’s hoping it’ll be Silent Hill-like in terms of horror and survival.

7. DeathHamsterDude says:

I’m going to keep an eye on this. Looks like an interesting take on the zombie genre, but I’m not fully convinced just yet.

8. kastanok says:

Damn, Zoe, have you tried like moisturiser of something? I know it’s the apocalypse but standards, girl, standards.

More sensibly, nice of them to show off the awkward movement controls, indistinct environment design and immersion-breaking mid-level cutscenes in the first teaser. A customer usually can’t tell those major flaws until the reviews come out.

9. Mordsung says:

I just want a game where I can be a horrible kill-beast without needing to save or hug little girls.

Why can’t I just be a horrible kill-beast?

10. Vague-rant says:

Looks cool. I am a bit sick of zombies though. I hope its not infectious.

11. Ovno says:

Interesting idea, hope they do something good with it :)

12. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Especially the ones that pay in ‘hugs’.

That’s not a real currency, silly!

13. Mordsung says:

You’re not animalistic enough in Prototype, and the violence isn’t personal.

I want like a first person game where I’m crawling around on walls and tearing out people’s throats while they gurgle and shove their grubby little hands in my face as a desperate attempt to push me off.

I can’t properly portray the game that I am imagining in my head, but it would be one of those games that would cause people to have moral qualms about playing it.

14. Drake Sigar says:

Windmill- I mean infections do not work that way!

15. Strangeblades says:

Looks good. Especially if they use running, evading and scrounging as chief game mechanics.
    Also my first RPS post and I am loving this site. It’s quickly becoming the place where I want to be…. typing comments.

UPDATE: How do I change my profile picture? I like the silly little guy to my left but I curious as to how to replace him.

• Salt says:

The picture is handled by Gravatar.com, which is by default generated from your IP address. Go to their site and you can personalise it, then be surprised when it appears on other websites too!

16. kulik says:

Oh man, you can tell she was once a beautiful woman. …and the way womens tends to identify them self through they looks you can tell this may get slightly disturbing, i like it.

17. jplayer01 says:

Oh, wow. I’m going to have to get this, I love the concept. I hope you guys cover this game again once it’s released. I’m afraid I’ll miss it because it isn’t a big, well-known franchise game.

18. Starayo says:

If this is indeed coming to steam.. Hurrah! :D

19. Eukatheude says:

Could be fun and interesting, but… Do we really want a game-long escort mission?

• gwathdring says:

If it’s done right, an escort mission could actually be exciting and valuable. Given proper character motivation, and a companion AI that’s good enough at staying alive to feel fair to you … it could be quite compelling. And if the whole game is indeed built around the two characters surviving together, I can see it doing those things.

• Eukatheude says:

I don’t know, i think i’ve never played an escort mission that was actually fun to play. Got any examples? The only one i remember of was in Resident Evil 4, and boy that was awful.

• BrendanJB says:

ICO was a game long escort mission with puzzles and adventure, and it’s one of the best games ever made.

• Daniel Rivas says:

Half Life 2: Episode 1.

The trick is to make the escortee not helpless.

20. Farkeman says:

Edit: post fail

21. jonfitt says:

Here’s my prediction:

“Doctor, we can harness this girl’s DNA and reverse the zombie plague and save the world… but doing so will kill her”.

DUM-DUM-DUM! SO SAD!

22. Vinraith says:

So the whole game is one long escort mission? *shudder*

23. feighnt says:

someone ought to be mentioning Siren (“Forbidden Siren” for brits, i think).

fairly confident they were influenced by this game. part of the game involves you playing as a teacher who’s protecting a young girl from zombies.

if, at any point in this game, you come to control the little girl and then the zombified protector-lady appears and chases you, then Siren influence is 100%

24. Freud says:

Finally a zombie game that sounds interesting.

Fade to Black was quite a good game, back in the dark ages.

25. Shazbut says:

I still remember the glorious second level of Flashback, which was like a 2D Deus Ex. Why the whole game couldn’t have kept that up is beyond me. Anyone else remember? I’m talking about New Washington.

Anyway, this looks interesting!

Comment on this story