Ambient Works: Proteus EP

By Jim Rossignol on June 12th, 2011 at 8:20 pm.

Proteus EP is a musical exploration game from Twisted Tree Games. It’s an EP as opposed to an LP – there are plans for a larger experience to follow – and as an EP will be a brief exploration experience that blends a pastoral 3D pixel-art world with “reactively mixed” music. Ed Key from Twisted Tree explained: “It’s more of an ambient piece than a game, although there is some challenge in finding the location that allows you to progress, and in finding the other couple of locations on the island that have interesting effects.”

I’ve been wandering around a preview version of it for the last twenty minutes, and I can report that it’s charming, and mildly mesmerising – an experience not unlike that bit in a movie where a child wanders into some weird wonderland and ends up gazing about in slack-jawed delight. (That was me.) No release date yet, but the team are planning to release for around $5, and there’s some footage below.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Heliocentric says:

I watched the video…. IDGI

2. MuscleHorse says:

Looks like the kind of the hippy shit I’m into. Sold, man.

3. RobF says:

I have lost hours to Proteus. It’s wonderful. It steals time and every revision I’ve tried, even knowing what goes on, I still lose myself to it.

edit: sorry to be vague but it’s one of those things where either you sound like a complete tool describing it or you spoil the bits that make it wonderful.

4. choconutjoe says:

Definitely looks like the most interesting attempt to mix music and gaming I’ve ever seen. I’d happily pay $5 for it.

5. Ed says:

I love you all :’)

/takes notes for box-quotes

6. lurkalisk says:

“It’s more of an ambient piece than a game”

Hmm… While I’m somewhat interested, this is why I’ll likely never get around to actually trying it out.

7. McDan says:

Idea is brilliant, footage is wonderful, definitely buying this. My kind of music as well, thanks to the Sunday papers deluge of excellent ambient sometime earlier this year/last year.

8. Eukatheude says:

I’m sold.

9. sockpuppetclock says:

Clicking on the “Download March 2011 Alpha build here” button does nothing for me, I am sad now, here is a face to fully express that sadness

:’- (

10. Khann says:

I wandered around for a couple of in-game days, and I just don’t get the point of this. The music is kinda cool I guess, but… yeah.

Why would I pay for this? I can get interesting ambient music any place and the world isn’t exactly an extremely intriguing place to wander around.

Not for me I guess.

11. TooNu says:

For PVE I’ve always preffered the Tengu because it can have a huge buffer and be fast. If you need to jew up some ISK you can perma run an X-Large shield booster while doing level 4′s, or perhaps as part of a wormhole group.

And while the Tengu performs well in PVP aswell, I have to go with the Loki becuase Autocannons are just awesome. 220 Vulcans and a medium neut’ all the way!

12. icupnimpn2 says:

Ed, tell us about Termoil.

13. Eight Rooks says:

Eh, it’s nice, I guess, and I definitely approve of the general idea… but it just looks like a poor man’s version of something thatgamecompany would do. Its being on PC and produced by an indie developer with no ties to an evil corporation means virtually nothing to me, and disregarding that, Journey trailers make my heart ache for the wonder of the production values – my first reaction to this is ‘Hey, I bet this would have blown people’s minds back in 1984′.

14. Farewell says:

What if Notch hired Ed to make proceduraly generated invisible ambience blocks like these in Minecraft? Imagine using sound to find your way in your underground mazes..

15. World One Two says:

Graaa that looks beautiful!

Comment on this story