Earthenware: Terraria Update Adds Stuff

By Quintin Smith on June 13th, 2011 at 8:45 pm.

If I'm honest, Dr. Bones is one letter off from my old nickname

Along with the new episodes of Winter Voices, Terraria is at the very top of my list of stuff that I need to try. Moreso now I’ve seen that the latest update adds everything from three new NPCs, to fish bowls and bunny hoods, to piranhas, jungle bats and two new rare enemies known as “Dr. Bones” and “The Groom”. Which, rather coincidentally, were both nicknames of mine at university. Is it still a nickname if you give it to yourself? I can’t remember. Click after the jump for the full feature list of the update. Phew, it’s a long one.

And what of John’s A Smurf In Terraria diary? It sounds like we can expect more of that soon. He says he played it for the duration of both his outbound and return flight from E3. Wow. I never thought I’d be jealous of an intercontinental redeye before.

Anyway, here’s that features list.

Items

Added Feature! – Social Slots. All normal armor and vanity items can be placed here to use their graphical appearance in place of equipped gear without overriding their stat gains.
New Vanity Items – Tuxedo Shirt and Pants
New Vanity Items – Plumber Outfit and Hat
New Vanity Items – Hero Outfit and Hat
New Vanity Item – Bunny Hood
New Vanity Item – Fish Bowl
New Vanity Item – Top Hat
New Vanity Items – Archaeologist’s Outfit and Hat
New Vanity Item – Ninja Outfit.
New Vanity Item – Red Hat.
New Vanity Item – Summer Hat
New Vanity Item – Robe
New Vanity Item – Robot Hat
New Vanity Item – Gold Crown
New Item – Leather
New Item – Green Dye
New Item – Black Dye
You can now wear the Jungle Rose in your hair
The Water Candle’s enemy spawn rate increase effect now works correctly when held
Some items that were missing ‘lore text’ in their tool-tips now have them.(Breathing Reed,Grappling Hook Jungle Rose.)
Ammo items are now listed as Ammo in their tool-tip and Equipable Items that offer no stat bonus list as Vanity Items in their tool-tip. Items used in any recipe now list as Materials, in their tool-tip.
The Magic Hat now offers 2 Defense to its wearer and the Empty Bucket now offers 1 Defense to its wearer.
Dungeon Blocks now require at least a Nightmare Pick to mine, unless they are near the spawn location, where they can be mined by any pick.
Phoenix Blaster has had a reduction of stats to balance better with other items of its tier.
Gem, Mushroom and Bottle sell values have been reduced.
Hell Forges above the rock layer can be moved with any hammer, but below require a 60% power hammer or stronger.
Angel Statues are now more rare of a find.

NPCs
New NPC – Bunny
New NPC – Goldfish (Is also an Item)
New Enemy – Corrupt Bunny
New Enemy – Corrupt Goldfish
New Enemy – Piranha
New Enemy – Harpy
New Random Mini- Boss – King Slime
New Enemy – Bat
New Enemy – Jungle Bat
New Enemy – Jungle Slime
New Enemy – Snatcher
New Rare Enemy – Dr. Bones
New Rare Enemy – The Groom
New NPC – A Clothier will now move into your town when the conditions are met.
Enemy spawn distance has been pushed back to the maximum resolution to ensure that they will never spawn on the screen.
Enemy spawn rates have been adjusted to account for the increased spawn distance.
Enemy projectiles no longer drop hearts or stars when killed by the player.
The Eater of Worlds now has Higher HP, Def and Dmg, making battling him more difficult.
Hornets no longer appear as if they are about to flip over while flying.
The Dead Miner is now a bit stronger.
Tim’s spawn chance has been reduced.

Player
Players now have 1 second of invulnerability after they spawn.
The eat/drink animation now plays correctly.

World-Gen
Surface Jungle’s are now possible on mud that is on the surface. Jungle trees will auto-grow on their own, as acorns are not usable on the jungle grass.
Chasms are now less frequent to appear, but always have an orb.
Mud now ‘blends’ graphically with dirt, rather than stone to add for a more crisp look in Jungles.
Jungle plants now grow underwater.

Multiplayer
Increased client side security.
Selecting summon items will no longer cause monsters to summon.
Players with a name over 20 characters will now get booted from the server.
Added some minor anti-grief protection.
Fixed a bug that would cause the client to attempt to summon an NPC during a multiplayer game and crash.
Added the -host command line parameter to the client.

Server
Improved server timing, which should help reduce lag.
Added several new command line and config options. These are listed in serverconfig.txt
Servers will now output to crashlog.txt before crashing, allowing for more specific bug reporting.
Clients will now output to client-crashlog.txt before crashing, allowing for more specific bug reporting.

Misc.
Screen resolutions now have limits of 800×600 minimum and 1920×1200 maximum.
Added an option that will pause the game while talking to an NPC or opening your inventory in single player. It defaults to off.
Added an option to automatically save the world every 10 minutes. Defaults to on.
Added a prompt to load a world backup if the current world is corrupt.
Added a check to determine if a world file was loaded successfully.
Attempting to Launch the game from the Terraria.exe, will now inform you to launch via Steam rather then doing nothing at all with no indication of why.
Backing out of the port selection screen now plays the correct sound.
Setting options now correctly align with the center of the screen in all resolutions.
The settings menu has been reorganized. All video related options have their own menu
The “Tink” sound now has a more dull sound.
The Re-Logic splash screen, now scales correctly in other resolutions.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. squareking says:

But now they call me Prof. Boner.

2. Tei says:

Wow.. .the potential for roleplaying and internet memes here!

3. Scott says:

You can now wear the Jungle Rose in your hair.

YOU CAN WEAR.

THE JUNGLE ROSE.

IN YOUR HAIR.

IN YOUR HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIR.

• McDan says:

Now you can fulfil your dreams of being a beautiful jungle queen!

• Wulf says:

Gods damn you for getting Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds stuck in my head.

4. JFS says:

I always wanted to wear a bucket or a kitchen sieve on my head during a zombie apocalpyse – now I can finally do so!

• ScottTFrazer says:

You could wear the bucket before. Now it gives you an armor bonus :-)

• JFS says:

Well, I didn’t know that before I read it in the update. I never tried, shame on me :D

5. DSR says:

New Vanity Item – Top Hat

6. MythArcana says:

So far this is GOTY for me.

Portal 2′s whopping 10 hours of gameplay? Nope.
    Duke Nukem Forever with it’s console-style psuedo-PC experience? Nope.
    The Witcher 2 which strives to be a console hit, but never made it there? Nope.

Terraria at $10 so far has given me at least 200 hours (and counting) of concentrated play with new weekly (nearly) updates that are stuffed with new content. Tough choice, innit?

• d32 says:

200 hours? You must have ‘finished’ the game at least 10 times – was it all that fun?
      I love Terraria, but it had nothing to offer after 40 hours… and it’ll take at least half year of semi-weekly updates to be fun enough to replay (for me).

• Tei says:

There has to be a lot of people like MythArcana, … the game has ben top seller in Steam for a lot of time now.

• TotalBiscuit says:

“The Witcher 2 which strives to be a console hit, but never made it there? Nope.”

I strived to finish reading your comment but never made it there.

• psyk says:

Terraria GOTY LMAO

frozen synapse is my GOTY so far. mmmmmmmm gaming crack

• Wulf says:

All Terraria really needs is more coloured background blocks. I’ve been having a blast building things, but I feel that I’m limited. Now… if they added coloured paint which could be mixed with any sort of background block to create a variety of colours and textures, THEN we’re talking. And I can finally have my Twilight Sparkle House.

• skinlo says:

Good thing its quality of quantity. Portal 2 wins.

7. Mr_Hands says:

So happy to see that resolution increase. So, so happy.

Also, man. This update hooked me right back in over the weekend. Dug my very own hellevator yesterday afternoon.

Tonight, I dine on HELLFORGE!

8. Coins says:

On a Winter Voiced-related note, I’ve been eye it for a long time, but is it actually good? More specifically, what is it?

• Vinraith says:

I’ve heard literally nothing positive about it.

• bglamb says:

I don’t know what you were reading, but Quints said that they patched a lot of the problems he had with it. Also he says an enormous amount of positive things about it to begin with.

He doesn’t re-review it, which would have been nice, but still, it’s not all bad by any means.

“despite its crippling flaws it managed to be one of my favourite indie games of 2010. I’m head over heels in love with Beyond the Pillars, devs of Winter Voices, and what they’re trying to do.”

“Excitingly, a patch is now out addressing some of Avalanche’s more unforgiveable problems, so if you were on the fence about this game before, by all means, topple off.”

• Vinraith says:

@bglamb

I thought it was clear from context that I meant “I’ve heard literally nothing positive from anywhere else,” which is to say not including the linked WIT. Word of mouth has been terrible, both on the forums here and among people I know IRL who’ve tried it.

• Oozo says:

Quinns, a Wot I Think NOW would be out of question,would it? Between the first one and what Vin wrote here, I’d really love to read a second opinion. (Game always looked interesting. Somehow,it still does.)

• malkav11 says:

I’ll say something positive about it: Winter Voices is a great concept with middling but gradually improving execution. I don’t know if it’s recommendable currently but the developers are fixing things in between new episodes and I wouldn’t be surprised if, when it’s all finished, the end result is a unique RPG with some rough edges and a wonky translation from the original French. Really, the single most crippling flaw it has (and this is, alas, unfixable) is that it’s made with Adobe Air, which is egregiously unsuited for what they’re doing.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

I’d love to read what Quinns would have to say about the new episodes.

Maybe I’m going to buy the new one now for the hell of it. This must be Stockholm syndrome talking.

9. KilgoreTrout_XL says:

“Chasms are now less frequent to appear, but always have an orb.”

Man, that would have saved me a few frustrating moments in the early going.

10. fallingmagpie says:

THERE ARE BUNNIES IN MY HOUSE!

WHAT DO THEY DO?

THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!

11. BeamSplashX says:

If I wear a tuxedo as my armor and actual armor in my social slots, am I a closet gentleman?

• Wulf says:

You could do that in Morrowind – and all the NPCs considered you to be so, yes.

• BeamSplashX says:

Then only one question remains- if I wear tuxedos in both my armor and social slots, am I a double gentleman?

12. kuran says:

Kind of old news at this point, when I saw the article I was excited about ANOTHER update since last friday. D’oh!

13. saturnine says:

THEY’VE TOTALLY RUINED THE ART STYLE WITH HATS, THEY HAD A GREAT 90s FINAL FANTASY SPRITE ART STYLE GOING ON BUT THEY RUINED IT, AND I WAS PLAYING IT FOR HOW IT LOOKED, NOT THE GAMEPLAY.

Yeah. Totally reasonable gripe there. Except not. Carry on.

14. Bilbo says:

Terraria’s great fun while the progression lasts. I just got finished and I’m really hungry for more content. Hopefully given the general simplicity of it all we can look forward to some more bosses, zones and the like soon.

15. Neurotic says:

I’m dying to try Terraria, but it looks like a Morrowind-Minecraft-Civ Life Destroying Time Eater…

• irongamer says:

Yep, it eats time. I have over 100 hours now. That is more time then I’ve spent at Borderlands(82 hours), Fallout New Vegas (89 hours), or Civ 5 (92 hours).

• adammtlx says:

It’s all I think about lately. When I’m not playing it. Which I did for about 40 hours over the past week.

16. Temple says:

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Want but don’t want.
    The controls are they better than King Arthur’s Gold or not? Cannot play that myself (or many other 2D action games), so as much as the game says yes the style says no.

Finger hovering over buy button and it’s 2am here. I shall resist another day and consider it a victory.

• Grammarsocialist says:

Having messed around a tiny bit in KAG I’d say Terraria’s controls are better. The camera is a lot smoother and generally I was a lot better at mining/fighting/&c in Terraria right off the bat. That being said, the mouse control is not a perfect system–mining while jumping is a PITA, and projectile weapons can be hard to use, especially while moving. Overall I think it’s pretty good though and as I said I was able to get the control scheme down without much trouble.

• irongamer says:

I agree with Grammarsocialist. I played some KAG and the control is more annoying than useful. Terraria’s controls are just fine.

17. Enikuo says:

I just spent all day long playing this game. All. Day.

Also, the bunnies are murdered gruesomely all the time. Severed, bloody bunny heads flying everywhere. Poor bunnies.

• Oneironaut says:

I haven’t played since the bunny patch, I think by the time the next patch hits(probably this week at the rate they’ve been going) there will be enough new content for me to start a new character in a new world.

I just wish they would add in a bunny rocket launcher.

18. magnus says:

I’m 85 hours into Terraria now and there’s still so much I want to do and I’m still adding stuff to my house.

19. Gadriel says:

Mr. Bones? Dr. Boner? Dr. Bores? Dr. Dones? Dr. Boles? Dr. Cones?

What was it man? Inquiring minds must know!

• Tb says:

Dr. Bones, ran into him yesterday.

Also, I played this game all weekend, and a lot of the stuff in this article was already there? I think…. When was this update released? So hard to tell sometimes with steam games…

We are all at version 1.04, yeh?

PS. game stole my heart, gave me a claw for a hand :O

• JB says:

@Tb – Gadriel is referring to the image alt-text I would imagine.

20. Koojav says:

I’ll just wait till it’s 50% off on Steam. Then it’s a definite must-buy for me.

21. adammtlx says:

I am amazed at this game. $10 for easily 30 hours of completely addicting fun. 100+ hours if you’re into making/doing/seeing everything. I can’t get enough of it. It was slow going at first but then I broke it open when I finally bought the Minishark and killed the Eye of Cthulhu with it. Setting up the perfect battleground to kill the Eater of Worlds, loping through the underground jungle and finding lovely treasures, making my ivy whip and feeling like Spiderman, all so fun. Now it’s time to gear up and fight Skeletron so I can explore the dungeon. Wheeeeee

22. delusionsofnoir says:

Does anyone know whether you have to create a new world to get new features/areas?

23. MadMatty says:

Brilliant game- first off i was like, Meh, a 2d Minecraft ripoff.
    Then after i bought it on a whim, i´d say: Yes, it´s still a 2d Minecraft Ripoff, but its FUN!
    Since the implementation of ideas in 2D is much faster than in 3D, the Terraria Team simply outworked Notch and Co!
    Terraria is win, because its Got More Stuff Than Minecraft.
    More stuff to do, some feel like its more tolerable to look at-
    The pace is a bit more punishing than Minecraft, with monsters constantly spawning around you.
    I´ve spent 30 hours on this sofar, and i´m still excited! Playing for 6-8 hours stretches, which is a good sign.
    Haven´t done that since i completed Cargo! Quest for Gravity.
    Well worth a go, if you like me, had too much of Guy X shoots Guy Y´s face again and again.
    EDIT:
    BTW Guy X is ofcourse me, and Guy Y is you. Again and Again.
    HAHAHAHAAHAHA ;)
    Doing so, ofcourse, gives me a hollow sense of power, which is what we all love, but this caters for a different set of emotions i guess.
    Oh yeah, and Amiga platformers! yay!

24. JonasKyratzes says:

I think Terraria is fantastic.

25. Thunderkor says:

I want to like Terraria so much more than I actually do. I get into it, play for a little while, then quit without getting much done. I think it’s that the default digging speed of the initial pick is just a tad too slow for me, and I’m horribly, horribly impatient with stuff like that. I’ll never make space blasters at this rate.

Neato update, though, so hurray for all you folks that enjoy it!

26. andrewdoull says:

I’m not convinced 1.04 is the best place to start. They’ve added monsters which are very challenging in newbie areas (corrupted bunnies during blood moon on the surface, bats in underground); seem to have bumped the spawn rate everywhere; and by making the jungle appear on the surface means you can skip the elegant progression of underground –> corruption –> meteor –> optional jungle –> optional dungeon –> hell; and start grinding the jungle for jungle armour, which is unpleasant at the best of the times due to the high spawn rate.

Also significantly decreasing the occurrence of corruption means you have a good chance of being able to walk all the way to the dungeon entrance during the first day on your first life which seems wrong somehow.