Wot I Think: Duke Nukem Forever

By Alec Meer on June 13th, 2011 at 5:36 pm.

After a short wait and a bit of help from Gearbox, the new shooter from 3D Realms has quietly arrived on PC and console. It stars one Duke Nukem, a man of ACTION, BABES, BICEPS and MILLIONS OF MINI-GAMES. Is it worth a look and some of your money? Let’s see.

It means well. You can’t fault it that. Sure, Duke Nukem Forever reeks of an arrogance and self-obsession that it resolutely fails to earn, but at the same time it’s forever searching for new ways to divert its player: there’s a clear sense that it wants to be bigger, bolder, wilder, stupider than any game before or since, to become an impossible accomplishment of pomposity and spectacle. The tale of its making, if it’s ever released, will be a fascinating one, but the game itself is a telling document of those 12 years of development.

It’s a grab bag of trends and ideas from the last decade of action games, a severely delayed reaction to Half-Life, Half-life 2, Halo, Gears of War and most of the id catalogue from Quake onwards. It can’t be the first at any of its ideas and features, but it damned well tries to have the most. All those inspirations – all of which it attempts to sneer at with meatless gags such as a dead soldier in a Dead Space mask, a crowbar reference, a pile of Master Chief armour – yet no real sense that it understands why they should be inspirations. It’s a smash and grab raid on the shiniest features of its de facto peers, successors and rivals, stitched together into a chaotic mess of mini-games and sudden gear-shifts.

The reception to the game seems to consist either of either concentrated bile or aggressively defensive praise centred less on the game’s accomplishments and more on why those who don’t love it must surely be humourless cynics determined to punish DNF for taking so long. I don’t fall neatly into either camp, and have no particular feelings about the Duke character or IP one way or another, but my take on DNF is probably best summed up as “I don’t like it.” It’s not the absolute catastrophe some have painted it as, but I don’t like it.

I don’t like the writing, which is tortured and turgid and bland and banal.

I don’t like the shooting, which unevenly strives for the all-out assault of early Dooms and Dukes paired with the restrictive spaces and weapon loadouts of Halos and Gears and ends up being unrewardingly punishing, rather than satisfyingly challenging.

I don’t like the humour, which appears to believe that the only two jokes worth making are people saying that Duke Nukem is awesome and that any random, insensible collection of words can be made into innuendo if it’s said in a braying, sneering tone. Innuendo does and can make me laugh. This isn’t actually innuendo. It’s just a drunk guy shouting whatever pops into his head then cackling.

I don’t like the fondness for jumping puzzles from a cumbersome first-person perspective, like an unwelcome interruption from Half-Life’s Xen inserted at arbitrary points in between the surprisingly infrequent action.

I don’t like the checkpoints and the lack of quicksave, which forces me back far too far whenever I run into an insta-death fall or sadistic boss fight.

I don’t like the map design, which uses back-tracking and arbitrary navigation restriction to create the appearance of far more substantial content than there is.

I don’t like how much time I have to spend waiting, while an NPC jabbers away at me in an incoherent spew of exposition, dated pop-culture references and end-of-the-pier puns, or until a series of scripts play out so a door will unlock and let me through to the next small, closed arena full of pop-up monsters.

I don’t like it. I don’t care whether it’s a Duke Nukem game or a Call of Duty game or a Half-Life game or an Ian McGuns game. I just don’t like it. It’s a dreadful mess, and any amount of good intentions doesn’t redeem it.

All told, there’s a whiff of desperation, that new features from a slow drip-feed of new games have been slapped on top of a wheezing mountain of half-realised ideas as and when someone decides that another title has raised certain expectations. The two-weapon carry limit and recharging health, for instance, seem to have been forced in as a sap to COD and Halo conventions, even though the combat itself is far more in line with early id fare. It throws high-damage enemies at you from pop-up spawn points, but denies you the space, the arsenal or the cover necessary to offset Duke’s relatively limited hit points. A couple more years in development and maybe it would have folded in a Gears of War-style cover system.

Significant love for the character could well, I imagine, mask its severe and fundamental failings to some extent. If that’s a balm that works for you, great. The King’s back, albeit exaggerated from the affectionate action hero parody he was in Duke Nukem 3D to preening sex-pest, and now living in a world where the only conversation topics are testicles and faeces.

It’s the bitty nature I don’t like the most. The sense I get is that a collection of ideas, features and mini-games were devised with no clear overarching objective in mind. “We’ve gotta have driving, we’ve gotta have playable pool tables, we’ve gotta have a crane-moving puzzle, we’ve gotta have a level like Aliens, we’ve got have a minecart bit, we’ve gotta have a wrecking ball…” These candyland delight are, perhaps, noble themselves, but the structure around them is so fragile and unsure.

Of course, “big muscley guy saves the world” is a tale that tells itself, so there isn’t exactly a need for a clever or twist-packed story, but it’s more like wandering around a theme park than embarking on a wild adventure. Complete with the queues. Invariably, progression is a matter of walking into a room, finding all the doors are locked, shooting everything in it, then finding one of the doors has magically unlocked. Even opening said door is often a torturous minigame of repeatedly slapping space to mime Duke prising it apart with his mega-biceps. It has its entertainments and it certainly has gleefully outlandish spectacle, but it makes you work for them by slogging through cheerless busywork.

I can well imagine It doesn’t realise how boring and annoying it is, and with a squint you can well imagine how it became so oblivious. The graphics are fine – hardly 2011 at the top of its game but neither are they a world away from today’s B and C-list fare, with the exception of the diabolical running and jumping animations. There are plenty of weapons, even if they’re mostly old ones, and plenty of enemies, even if they’re mostly old ones. The environments are ambitiously different – a city, a casino, underground slime tunnels, a desert… – but they’re bound to on-rails Find The Door quests peppered with occasional turret sections and visually spectacular but irritating and long-winded boss fights. It accomplishes the singular feat of being highly repetitious and ever-changing – again, clearly determined to entertain even if it’s perhaps lost sight of how to entertain.

“It’s fun!” is the defence I’ve most often heard. Perhaps it is: a torrent of ludicrousness, violence and garbled smut. I can see why people think it’s a much-needed nod back to a lost gaming ethos, and God knows I agree with any sentiment that so many action games these days take themselves and their painfully earnest, overbaked plots far too seriously, but that doesn’t make Duke Nukem Forever good enough.

It’s a misfire as a Duke Nukem project, it’s a misfire as a first-person shooter and it’s certainly a misfire as a legendary game we’ve waited over a decade for. I also agree with any sentiment that argues it was always impossible for any Duke Nukem Forever to live up to its hype and infamy, but that doesn’t give it a free pass to be quite so patchy and thin, to be forgiven for being this irritating, uneven mess.

It means well, I have no doubt of that. It wants to be loved, it wants to make us laugh, it wants to show us big things exploding, it wants us to not get bored, it wants us to have ‘fun.’

Unfortunately, too much of that depends on thinking the presence of Duke is in and of itself ‘fun’ enough. Take him (or at least the vague, fan-fiction-like concept of him, which is what we really have here) away, and what’s left? The trailers for about 30 different games from 1997-2011 stitched awkwardly together and made passingly interactive, with little rhyme or reason. Duke Nukem Forever’s legacy, then, becomes a strangely apt one – a raddled document of the last decade and a half of game design fads, trends and values. Duke Nukem Forever was always going to make history, and history it is.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. 0p8 says:

spot on review

so glad i never paid to play this……………ooops

2. lokimotive says:

I kind of feel like this is the gaming equivalent of an unfinished novel published posthumously, like Three Days Before the Shooting by Ellison, or The Pale King by Foster (for two resent examples). Or perhaps, better, a hugely ambitious work that could never live up to the reputation of its author and was eventually released despite having no ending to tie it up, like Pound’s Cantos, Musil’s The Man Without Qualities, or even Gogol’s Dead Souls.

Of course, the analogy falls apart because Duke Nuke Forever is just terrible. But Gearbox should be given some credit for saying, Screw it, we’ll just release it. They should, however be chastised for implying that it’s a finished product or an even remotely coherent experience. Playing it, I got the same feeling I did when I played the leaked Half Life 2 beta: how is this supposed to hang together? In the beta that was fine because it was a beta and never meant for public consumption. For Duke Nukem Forever, however, that’s not fine.

I mean just take the first hour or so of gameplay: You’re playing a video game in your home, then you’re going on a show, then you’re leaving, apparently, then you’re back home? I guess? Then you’re escaping your home somehow, except you crawl into a ventilation system that is connected to other people’s rooms? Then you’re on a an elevator again… Does Duke own this building? Does he rent it out? Does he have the Penthouse as well as a secret lair underneath? I mean, this isn’t really pertinent information, I suppose, but the lack of it certainly doesn’t add much to making me feel welcome in the game.

I honestly would’ve been much happier if Gearbox just released some sort of Duke Nukem Forever postmortem compendium rather than an actual game.

3. Quizboy says:

I was just thinking, I’m pretty certain he isn’t really the duke of anywhere, and I’m not at all sure he’s actually ever ‘nuked’ anything (I mean with a proper nuclear weapon, not some shitty FPS gun with a radiation symbol on it). He’s a pathetic failure in every conceivable way.

4. mikep says:

I completed it today – loved it. I think it’s a shame we’ll now go back to standard FPS games, but that’s just my opinion.

5. Dreamhacker says:

So, basically: “It’s [...] the absolute catastrophe [...] I don’t like it.”

6. Feet says:

“Duke Nukem Forever was always going to make history, and history it is.”

Nice.

7. Zarunil says:

I liked how you could interact with the environment, like turning on showers, opening cabinets, lifting weights and so forth. Wish more games did that.

It tries so hard to be funny, but it just isn’t. It doesn’t do anything particularly well, and feels like a bland corridor shooter with features I’ve seen done before.

8. hotcod says:

There are game design mistakes. The slower move speed, the 2 weapon limit, no quick save and an over use of turrets and the forced use of ammo boxes and the regen health. These where taken from other games that do not fit the core duke ideals and removed any reason to explore for secrets. But all that’s only if we where expecting the game to be duke 3d 2…. this is not and seemingly never was the plan for this game.

They wanted to do a sceptical shoot and you can see that even in the first trailers and to an extent that meant putting parts of the game on rails (duke on the back of truck shooting down planes for example) and what this means is that this game was always going to as different to duke 3d and duke 3d was from the 2d games and you know what… that’s ok… well, that would have been ok.

The problem is that it missed it times. Not only in that what it was trying to do has been done, endlessly and better over the times it was being made but it missed the point at which a game that was not duke 3d 2 would have been accepted. It’s been so long that we just wanted duke 3d remade with fancy graphics.

So it’s game that is out of place in time and has been through way to many hands to have a solid core and as such it’s just not that good. For given people it’s fun enough, me included just to be clear. Yet I understand why a lot of people dislike it and I don’t think they are wrong for doing so. Simply put I think a LOT of the problems we are talking about would have been present if the game had come out on time but at the time they wouldn’t have been such problems.

I think then that it’s a game we had to get out the way. There is clearly still a demand for a duke style game and an even bigger one for a true duke 3d 2 and now the IP is in the hands of people who can make great games with out this mill stone around it’s neck. As such I hope we see duke revisited but in a fresh way that wouldn’t have ever happened with one.

9. Angel Dust says:

I can’t disagree with many of your criticisms here Alec. DNF is a bit crap but you know what? It’s my* kinda crap. It’s definitely nostalgia talking but I loved all the dorky platform elements, goofy puzzles and the way it meanders from set-piece to set-piece with little in the way of coherency. I mean, I know there is a very good reason FPS design has moved on from this stuff but I couldn’t help but enjoy it in this instance.

I also found the shooting, once I tweaked the mouse settings, to be quite fun in the last half of the game since you’re getting the big guns all the time and the game has almost completely dispensed with the a lot of the crud in favour of Duke being Duke – saving the world all by himself. The shrink ray and trip mines are still great fun, and the dismemberment and ridiculous physics mean the new additions of the rail gun and the Enforcer’s rocket launcher are also fun.

Chalk this one up as a guilty pleasure.

* Repellent sexism and astonishingly irritating NPCs aside. If they ever realise mod tools I’m going to try and bring it back to Duke 3Ds level of naughtiness, which will probably involve just plain removing a lot of stuff.

10. jack4cc says:

I do like it, as a duke game. It’s definitely not worse than the last Wolfenstein. It is precisely what I wanted – duke. No rpg elements or some fancy stuff, just plain good old duke and duke shooting at things and duke comments, you need to see it as some sort of remake, it does not try to compete with current games.

11. Daniel Klein says:

What we need is for Criterion to make the next Black for PC. That would be all our FPS worries solved right there.

I need to believe that people actively commenting on blogs like this one are simply ahead of the curve and that in a few years the mainstream will get bored of ManBeef the Beef Man in: Space is Brown part 15 and someone will try something new and be super successful.

I want to like the Far Cries, for instance. The idea–open world, free exploration, do what you like shooter? Brilliant. But the actual games just didn’t do it for me. Far Cry and STALKER are trying very interesting things, but clearly there is a plenty of room for experimentation in “regular” (as in, non-sandboxy) FPS.

The one thought I am left with after reading all the Duke Nukem Forever coverage is that I should really give Bulletstorm a try. Let’s see if it’s been reduced on Steam yet.

12. Willie Trombone says:

“Divisive” certainly seems to be the central theme of DNF’s reception, and I think I can see exactly why. It goes beyond nostalgia and mere brand loyalty. It’s a question of feel.

I agree with nearly every point Alec brings up here. The game is patchy, it is stupid, and it is impossible for it to have been anything but a mess after 14 years of turmoil-ridden development. And I love it for all those reasons.

It’s disappointing. Of course it is. It isn’t really worthy of The Duke as he once was. It has what I imagine must be the feel of going to a Tom Jones concert now if you were a screaming fan of his back in the 60s (not that I’ve ever been a Tom Jones fan). He who once was a swaggering, endearingly cheesy sex symbol buried under projectile knickers is now a rather tubby, jowly, awkwardly lecherous old man who can’t hope to stay relevant… but if you’re the kind of person who’s receptive to it, he’s still got something that none of the young ‘uns seem to have picked up or improved upon. It’s weakened, it’s diluted by his attempts to stay current and fit in with present-day production values, but it is still there.

Duke Nukem Forever, to me, plays like a kind of “Greatest Hits” compilation of all the most interesting bits of every shooter that’s come out since 1997. Like any compilation, it’s a messy grab-bag of past glories, referencing the great albums it draws from without actually capturing the focus that made them classics. But sometimes, the Greatest Hits are all you want.

Yes, nearly all of the game’s ideas are shamelessly poached from everything that’s come out in its development time, but consider this – it’s the only FPS I’ve played since maybe NOLF that even has more than one idea. Halo is explicitly built upon the concept of “30 seconds of fun repeated over and over”. CoD may as well be on rails. DNF almost never makes you do the same thing twice. It’s the first FPS I’ve played in years where I genuinely didn’t know what was going to happen next.

It’s true that the writing, while it did make me chuckle once or twice (“yeah babe, I can get into that roleplaying shit!” “Oh yeah? Here’s a fetch quest for you then”) is mostly shoddy and incoherent. It’s total nonsense, but I like nonsense. The game design is a bewildering hodge-podge of unrelated gameplay non-sequiturs, but at least it’s varied. Duke doesn’t have the right to make cracks at Halo and then nick its health-regen, but justifying it by saying that the only armour he needs is the sheer force of his overbearing Ego is actually a little bit genius.

It is a mess, it is ridiculous and it is trying too hard and not really hitting any of the marks it aims for, but a game that was conceived in 1997 couldn’t possibly have done that. It’s too linear to live up to the glorious level design of Duke 3D, its attempts at crude, intentionally juvenile OTT humour have been outdone by the likes of Bulletstorm and it has missed its opportunity to be the all-conquering, magnificent display of genre dominance it could have been by a good 5 or 6 years… but at least it’s trying.

That’s a damn sight more than I can say for the endless gallery of sequels to the one-trick-pony shooting galleries we’ve been swamped by for the last decade. At least DNF remembers the time when interactivity and variation and a bulging mélange of ideas were the important selling points for a mainstream shooter.

Duke Nukem Forever is not a worthy successor to Duke 3D, but by god it’s trying a damn sight harder than any of the other identikit whack-a-mole modern shooters, and for that it deserves a commendation in my book.

• Dr. Clockwork says:

I couldn’t have said it better myself. -Applauds loudly-

13. Willie Trombone says:

THIS. The game is basically sound, it’s fun to play through and it’s a hell of a lot more entertaining than Call of Honour 4: Combat Repeated.
    The most important thing is, with DNF “out of the way”, what will Gearbox do with Duke next?

If they have the Balls (Of Steel) to make a game that’s unashamedly old-school in its level design and match it with a legitimately funny script, The King will rise again.

14. Thiefsie says:

I laughed at the first thing Duke said when I picked up the shit… from then on the game was a chore… very very dated, but with some fairly ok interactivity – and that was it…
    A lucky-dip grab bag of ideas that should have stayed in 2005…

I must admit though the variety was kind of what kept me in there, combat was fairly abysmal though… I never really knew what it would throw at me next…

15. Koojav says:

Ekhm:

I told you.

16. Eukatheude says:

Faithful to its ludicrousness, italian gaming press averaged an 8/10 on the reviews.

17. bonjovi says:

best Duke game for me still is: Manhattan Project.

Someone should pick it up and do more of the same :-)

also next: commander keen 3d !

18. CowardlyAnonymous says:

What really pains me is the feeling that gearbox could easily made it much better with more playtesting.

There is nothing wrong with the core mechanics, setting, or all the assets of the game. Nothing wrong with models, sounds – they’re all good (except duke’s animation of course). Levels are mostly fine – a little too many small rooms sometimes. Duke’s voice is perfect. Music – somewhat bland, but title track is still great.

What really killed it for me is the lack of proper directon of gameplay. There is no feeling of “flow” like in Sam or Painkiller, the setting just isn’t used properly. For the most of the game enemies are just hindrance, popping in incovenient places at incovenient times. In a game about survival (like halflife) that would be great. But Duke is supposed to be about DOMINATING not fucking survival! :)
    Gearbox seems to have simply assembled 3dRealms’ assets together, tweaked them a little and made them technically work. They didn’t bother (or didn’t have time) to make the most of them. Aside from that there are tonns of obvious missed opportunities, that could’ve been fixed in minimal time, like failed attempt at making a western-style shootout (the ONLY problem is with spawn scripts), really bad driving sequences (could’ve repalced highway parts with classic highway-truck-chase-with-helicopter-jumping-thing. also – no guns? limited petrol? why???),. Duke burger scyscraper parts would’ve been perfect for a good old JETPACK! Instead they made Duke spend his time carefully crawling on tentacles… Yeah speaking of crawling – quite a bit of game is spend in fucking VENTILATION ducts! (those bits are probably a 90′s remnant copied from halflife, but it doesnt excuse gearbox. They could have easily cut most of them out) And how they managed to make a huge damb and its explosion seem unspectacluar is beyond me. :-/
    They could’ve made proper 3rd person cutscenes, showing off uberhuman abilities of Duke, instead of locking the player inside invisible walls while some guy talks. They could’ve tweaked diffictulty for console and PC versions separately, so that we could have our 5-8 guns at the same time. They could’ve used physics engine not only for same idiotic add-weight-to-lever-arm “puzzles”, but for fun (even if scripted) ways to kill aliens. All this did not need another rewrite, just several more months of testing and polishing.

Anyway its too late now… Chances of having “proper” Duke game as a sequel or expansion pack are effectively zero.. When the dust is settled I would really like to read Gearbox’s side of story, what did they try to do, and WHY did they make it that way. Were they just hoping for a quick buck for minimal work? Or maybe they were afraid to release it after Rage? Or did they genuinley try to stay true to original ’97 gameplay?..

ps. Junevile jokes didn’t bother me that much.. I guess that’s a bonus of not having English as native language. :)

19. Triangulon says:

I would have been happy with meh to be honest, for the sake of Duke, however it’s a really poor game unfortunately…

20. theSAiNT says:

My fondest memories of DN3D are from deathmatch and co-op play over serial cable. Correct me if this is wrong but it must be one of the first instances of co-op in FPSes?

None of the reviews seem to really go into the multiplayer which is a bit disappointing, other than a passing reference to the ‘controversial’ CTF mode.

I don’t have high hopes with a 2 gun limit though. The wide variety of weapons, especially the trip mines and pipe mines were what made deathmatching so fun.

• _Jackalope_ says:

Nah, Doom allowed it too. Oh boy, serial link. I kinda miss it.

21. Sinnorfin says:

Every decade got to have it’s ‘Daikatana’…

22. _Jackalope_ says:

Oh dear. Just tried to play this. It was even more boring than the demo. Even the nostaliga element fails as I only played Duke 3D last week. Despite years of videogaming abusing my cerebral cortex, I can still remember that far back and what pig cops are. It’s just walking about looking at stuff that’s now a 3D model instead of a sprite, until the game starts again and it’s REALLY BAD. I feel stupid for giving it a chance.

23. Rock Tumbler says:

I’m rather disappointed that Alec failed to touch on the rampant, naked misogyny permeating every inch of this vile piece of garbage.

• Marijn says:

Seconded. There aren’t many gaming websites that can credibly take developers to task for these kinds of offenses, and because RPS is one of them, it should take that responsibility more seriously. No amount of “but it’s part of the character” can excuse this level of sexism. If we ask you directly, Alec, don’t you agree that a critique of this game should include a mention of this part of the experience?

• GT3000 says:

I hope this is a joke.

If no, I implore you to enlighten yourselves. You might get laid.

• Hanban says:

You might do with educating yourself as well GT3000. It might make you a better human being. At least it is likely your daughter will thank you for it.

• Very Real Talker says:

I think the disgusting part is the alien pregnancy stuff at the end. Very cruel and in poor taste. The rest is a joke and if you are offended you are weak and effeminate like girl.

Also the main problem with duke forever is that it is an insult to who is playing because it is a piece of shit game.

• Very Real Talker says:

also the problem with that specific part is that is unnecessary cruel and duke behaves out of character, he tells the girl they are fucked cold heartedly while previously he helped ellis from l4d take a photo on his throne instead of murdering him or when he reacted to the death of a pointless soldier (well ok it was a pointless bullshit citation to some stupid gay internet meme).

So it’s weird that he acts so sociopathic towards them… that’s the disturbing part, not how women are generally depicted.

Also my theory is that duke may be autistic and can only express by repeating parrot-like sentences from movies, so that sociopathic remark was probably because there was no line from a movie that was appropriate to what he wanted to say.

24. Nim says:

Poor Duke Nukem never stood a chance. When a small reference to Dead Space get interpreted as a sneer you know the judge is thirsty for blood.

25. Kefren says:

I loved the original because I found it to be scary as much as funny. The Duke persona was never foremost to me: my imagination had me sneaking aroung seedy city areas in survival mode, praying that I wouldn’t run into an octobrain while taking a shortcut through a sewer; or exploring a horrible spaceship, knowing there was no was out. When combined with the multiple routes that made exploration interesting, and gave each level longevity, I had a game I loved. This update sounds like it focused on all the wrong elements.

26. RegisteredUser says:

I liked the part where they praised Crysis 2 to hell and back, and then – much more appropiately imo – hated on DNF for 1:1 the same things C2 fail was about.

C2 is the same 4×4 squares with people thrown in it + 3 ammo crates for a level, and then that times x maps until end of game. You get the same scripted unskippables, control-taken away sequences, same 2 gun limit, checkpointing, regenerating health, etc(even ego and suit upgrades smack of similarity).
    All the things they criticize in the DNF

And where there is banality in smut and dumb jokes, Crysis 2 uses the same hyperbole and overseriousness employed in every single “Military tries to save world” spectacle so far.
    Both games are trying to have their superduper ultrahero save the world from evil aliens amidst crumbling buildings.
    Both use 99% identical gameplay mechanics(minigames aside) and are boring to no end.

Yet C2 was all “Wow, wotta game!”, and DNF got an honest knuckle bashing.

I’d love to stoop to a “What, did Crytek just pay better?” at this point, but the sad truth likely is that for some games, all the things that are crap in shooters now (weapon limits, checkpointing, autoregen) are just accepted by reviewers, whereas in others, where the brief distractions from it are maybe not made as well or something, their true awefulness stands out more.
    Beh. Nah, I can’t believe that. If all of that is crap – and it rightfully mentioned here as such – then you should not like it regardless of in what game it pops up to mutilate fun.

RPS, you should have disliked C2 more.

• Very Real Talker says:

you know, you have a point. For various reasons, I have been hyper critical of duke forever.

But then it dawned on me. This game is basically acting as a scapegoat of all that is wrong in modern shooters. There is no single flaw in the gameplay (let’s ignore the stupid humor in the game, that is stupid not because it is juvenile, but because it consists entirely in repeating random memes or punchlines stolen from movies) that is not present in 99% of single player fpses that are out nowadays and that have been praised to hell and back by the press.

Duke Forever gameplay may not be great, but is it worse than, say, the gears of wars series? is it worse than the singleplayer campaigns of the various call of duty, modern warfares, battlefields, or crysis 2?

No, it isn’t.

So in a way, the way this game has been treated from the press has been highly hypocritical.