EA: Preorder DLC Won’t Imbalance BF3

By Alec Meer on June 14th, 2011 at 9:55 am.

Because you didn't pre-order, this man doesn't come with legs. You can unlock the LIMITED EDITION BattleLegs(TM) for just $7.99 + tax

Following an online campaign that involved many, many upset emails to EA and DICE’s major executives – plus the rather less executive but rather more innocent staff of Rock, Paper, Shotgun – regarding a decision to make a trio of Battlefield 3 in-game items a retail pre-order exclusive, the great machine has settled on a public response to the matter. But not a climb down. DICE have posted a brief reply to the controversy, intended to appease fears that the Physical Warfare Pack (coming soon: the Metaphysical Warfare pack) will grant a frightful in-game advantage.

It’s all done via a rather stern FAQ. I’ve picked out the most pertinent bits for you:

Q: Will Physical Warfare Pack imbalance the game?
A: The three exclusive items in the Physical Warfare Pack were specifically chosen not to be overpowered or imbalance or break the game in any way.

Q: Why do I want the Physical Warfare Pack?
A: Owning these items will give you a more varied arsenal, but it will not give you a significant advantage on the battlefield.

So that’s the promise. I’m inclined to believe them even if I’m not a fan of the practice. Whether that’s actually addressing the main complaint – that BF fans who don’t purchase the game from a specific shop for a specific price aren’t getting the ‘full’ BF3 experience – remains another matter. This will perhaps be contingent on the Funosity(TM) and EpicWarability(R) on the three scoolsive items.

Here’s another bit from the FAQ, which I must confess made me snicker.

Q: Why do you offer pre-order bonus items?
A: Because we believe in rewarding our core fanbase with special offers — such as giving them the Back to Karkand expansion pack at no extra charge.

So nothing at all to do with ensuring more in-store marketing and selling more copies of the game at full-whack pricing, then? Sorry, I must have got preorders completely wrong. Don’t know what I was thinking.

Regarding the Back To Karkand DLC pack, DICE have this to say: “There is no way you can pre-order Battlefield 3: Limited Edition and not end up with the Back to Karkand expansion pack at no extra charge. On top of this, select retailers all over the world will carry the Physical Warfare Pack. Exact details for other countries and retailers will be announced at a later date.”

Which, of course, heavily implies you’ll be able to fork out extra to get your hands on the Karkand pack if you don’t preorder the limited edition. Let’s just hope its maps don’t prove some of the game’s most popular, eh? I can see why people are upset, why they might perceive this as being punished for not buying the game in the most officially-desired way.

This kind of thing isn’t going away, of course. The only real way to reduce its power is for gamers en masse to stop pre-ordering games and thus convince publishers that there isn’t a market for such incentives. Unfortunately, the words ‘limited edition’ retain a terrible, terrible power.

, , .

1. Daniel Rivas says:

WHAT A SHAME

2. Dana says:

Q: Why do you offer pre-order bonus items?

So what, Back to Karkand will be released later as paid DLC ?

• ran93r says:

I believe that was the line they were taking, the Karkand pack will be able to be purchased later on by everyone. The hoo-hah seems to be that some of these exclusive items will not.

• Choca says:

Q: Why do you offer pre-order bonus items?
      A: Money is pretty cool

• syntax says:

Yes, everyone has access to it at the same time at some point after BF3′s release. It’s not Day One DLC. If you pre-order, however, it will be free. Otherwise it will probably cost you $5-10.

EDIT: Also the Physical Warfare pack is not exclusive to pre-orders from certain retailers, you will also be able to buy it (probably from day 1). Similar to the SPECACT shiznit.

• torchedEARTH says:

Q: Why do you offer pre-order bonus items?
      A: Because we want people to buy our game rather than MW3 which comes out a week later (I believe) so we need to try anything we can to get you to like our game first.

You are either seriously excited about this game and want to play it from day one or not. If those guns prove game breaking they will get nerfed in the next patch. It is not a big deal. Please stop whining and act like adults that have some appreciation of how big businesses work nowadays. Accept the good, grit your teeth through the bad.

• battles_atlas says:

@ torchedEARTH

Whilst I respect your right to roll over and submit to whatever punishment the money men wish to hand down to you, I politely decline your request to act similarly. This pre-order bonus stuff is bullshit that only acts to punish those of us who are sensible enough to wish to know what it is that they are getting (ie read some reviews) before they hand over their cash.

This is particularly the case with a franchise like BF which, for all its merits, is notorious for being buggy on release.

Malibu Stacey says:

Q: Why do you offer pre-order bonus items?
      A: Because there are idiots out there who will give us money for any old rubbish so why not?

PoulWrist says:

@battles_atlas: you could just try the rather free beta that will go live in September and preorder then if you really want it. Not like there’s a limit to when you can preorder. So, punishing in this regard no. But you can always just wait till the game is cheap and buy it then, and then buy the addons if you like it. Many options.
      Not that this stuff is going to matter. Some people get a bit of extra, which probably won’t be making any difference, considering the T88 was one of the worst weapons in BC2 and special ammo takes up an equipment slot…

• Ringwraith says:

@Syntax But that DLC for Bad Company 2 was simply a retexture of the last-unlocked guns for each class, complete with a matching outfit change, rather than being actual new items to play with.

3. metalangel says:

EA’s limited editions should just be called “preorder edition” because that’s what they amount to.

I have decided, like a commenter on Eurogamer, that I am not bothered about missing these stupid items as I can’t really fire a flechette-equipped shotgun in case I lose control of my helicopter.

• syntax says:

I doubt the flechettes will get much use, as you trade penetration for significantly lower base damage.

• Brutal Deluxe says:

I actually got suckered in to the whole preorder thing with dragon age: origins. There were videos where the developers were going on about the “really cool” stuff that having Shale in your party would add to the game. Although I really enjoyed DAO, I found that I couldn’t care less about the bonus DLC, and in fact it’s not something I would even have later purchased (despite picking up almost all the Mass Effect 2 DLC of my own free will). So now I just ignore it.

DLC is like those miniature bottles of alcohol. Massively overpriced and leave you feeling halfway between satisfaction and regret.

• metalangel says:

Funny you should mention Shale. Shale was what finally soured me to EA’s DLC policy. The quest was irritating and insipid to the extreme (the obnoxious girl and demon cat, flummoxed by an insultingly contrived sliding puzzle) and the reward of a somewhat amusing stone rendition of HK-47 that I used for maybe a dozen fights before getting bored.

Thus, Mass Effect 2′s online pass and reams of DLC has gone unpurchased and shall never be purchased unless a complete edition is released. I’m finished being nickel and dimed by greedy publishers.

4. SquareWheel says:

DLC I can’t later buy or unlock means the game would drive my OCPD crazy. The only option is to skip the game entirely.

• MajorTomG says:

They neatly avoided answering, “can I buy the Physical Warfare Pack later if I don’t buy the game from one of the approved retailers?”

So this pretty much definitely means, “no you can’t and we are a bit scared of giving you that answer”.

• Ybfelix says:

I live in China and there’s likely no way to pre-order from a “select” retailer ( pre-ordering things is not a common practice here.. they are made in China ;-) ). Does that means I’m doomed to be without these weapons? Ironic considering T88 LMG is of Chinese origin…

I’d rather have they have the pack for sale, why not? So those who pre-ordered would feel they actually saved money, and offers a (moneytary) solution to my OCD problem.

• Davee says:

This was really the only question I wanted them to answer and they totally avoided it (to save face I guess). Thanks for the Twitter link.

5. syntax says:

Personally I think Reddit is making too much of a fuss, stuff like this has been going on for many years and only now, weeks after the bonus was announced, everyone is up in arms about it. Also it seems like no one has their facts straight, everyone is talking about how the ‘Back to Karkand’ map pack is Day One DLC and is being cut out of the game. It’s actually being made by a separate team at DICE and features exclusive weapons and vehicles from BF2, hardly something that would likely be planned to be in the game from the beginning. And more importantly, it doesn’t come out on day one!
    From the FAQ:
    Q: Is the Back to Karkand expansion pack exclusive to pre-orders?
    A: No. You can also buy it separately if you do not pre-order Battlefield 3. Back to Karkand will be available the exact same date after the launch of Battlefield 3 no matter if you pre-ordered or buy it separately.

Q: When will the Back to Karkand expansion pack be released?
    A: We have not yet announced the Back to Karkand expansion pack release date.

Onto the Physical Warfare pack, which I _do_ think is a bad idea. Not that pre-orderers get cool new weapons, but that the weapons will have to be bought (much like the Spec-Act pack in BC2) instead of just being early unlocks. Already having weapon packs available for purchase at the launch of the game really does feel like the content is being stripped out of the game in a money-hungry fashion.

• battles_atlas says:

I have no interest in the extra weapons. I do though very much want to play Karkland in the new engine. This preorder thing means that I either have to take a punt on the quality of the game at the moment of release, and order in advance, or cough up extra at a later date. That is not a choice I feel I should have to make. Its the kind of fuck-you to the customer that makes me want to pirate a game instead of pay for it.

• psyk says:

Atlas

Do you test everything before you buy it? I can imagine someone ordering sample food from a restaurant or walking around a supermarket just buying products that have a free sample.

PoulWrist says:

battles_atlas or try the damn open beta that’s planned for september, and you can consider preordering then. Or you can just shut up and not buy the game if you don’t want to play it. There’s always a warez version where you can play the shitty singleplayer and maybe LAN it up with your buddies. At least I hope that happens. No chance in hell you can get 20 of your friends to buy the same game.

• battles_atlas says:

@ psyk

Supermarket items are probably £2, not £30+, and less likely to be functionally inoperable than a game, so its a rather irrelevant analogy. As for restaurants, yes, I normally would try and get an idea of its quality before going.

@ PoulWrist

Are you getting frustrated because I failed to follow your advice on the beta in your first comment, that you posted 4mins before this one?

Didn’t know about the beta, that is useful information. Though not necessarily – any problems with the beta can be dismissed as being beta-related. I know the game itself is going to be good, its BF. Question is will the browser work in the release version? If I could read a review or three before I bought it, and not be punished for that, I’d be happier.

6. Mr Rud says:

To be fair, the first 2 shipments of BC2 and MoH were Limited Editions, so if you bought the game in the first 2 weeks after release, chances are that you did buy the Limited Edition, Back to Karkand Pack will be automatically avaiable for the early buyers, while the PWP will be avaiable only to pre-orderers

7. MythArcana says:

They are both pure crap, boring, unoriginal, slag, cash grab titles.

There, now we don’t have to argue anymore. I’m not buying either one, so I could care less how much of an ass Kotlick looks this week. :)

• subedii says:

That’s great…

Uh… what are you talking about?

• Aemony says:

Battlefield 3 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, obviously >_<

• subedii says:

Except nobody was talking about CoD. Or Kotick.

At least not until he felt compelled to jump into the post about Battlefield 3 and make sure everyone knows how little he cares about Battlefield 3. Oh but also how much it sucks.

So yay?

8. Sibilantjoe says:

So, the guns won’t be imbalanced because…they won’t? Solid reasoning there, DICE. As someone who played Bad Company 2 since the beta, excuse me for not exactly believing everything you say about “gun balance.” (*cough* Carl Gustav *cough*)

• Davee says:

The Carl Gustav is Swedish, so there’s an obvious bias there. I would be disappointed otherwise :)

9. Milky1985 says:

So will there be a way to get the muzzle flash suppresor outside of hte DLC pack now? Or will it still only be pre-order people who can avoid the muzzle flash and make themselves harder to see?

“Owning these items will give you a more varied arsenal, but it will not give you a significant advantage on the battlefield.”

So basically with this statement they have admitted that it does give one player an advantage over another! (before you cry foul, if it gave no advantage you woudl be damn sure they would say that to silence the online crowd). Just because it’s a small advantage doesn’t make it any better.

It also still doesn’t factor in teh masive fractoring of the player base at launch, which is just the stupidist idea in the world in my opinion :/

Oh and still no system specs so no idea if i can even pre-order or not :P How about rewarding your fanbase with some basic idea of the system required to run the damn thing?

• theallmightybob says:

When was the last time you actualy saw the flash from a sniper in a battle field game anyways? (and dident die on the spot) I dont know about you, but in BC2 I spent most of the time following bullet trails, not flashes. As long as the sniper still emits a large “over hear” bullet con trail, I’m sure it will be fine.

LarsBR says:

Couple of thoughts on the Back to Karkand pack:

1) It’s not day 1 dlc, since it likely won’t be available at day 1. They haven’t announced a date.
    2) Giving it away free to pre-orders is doubly brilliant. It awards people who don’t need to wait around for reviews, and it makes sure the dlc has an established player-base on its release, making it more interesting for potential buyers.

And at least it’s not just a map pack – it has weapons and vehicles as well, comparable to the bfbc2 vietnam expansion (which is actually very nice).

I was a huge fan of the BF2:SF expansion, but we likely won’t see something of that magnitude again, so 4-6 map+”theme” expansions seem a decent compromise.

(Sorry for not being an angry internet-man, but fuck it, I’m looking forward to bf3!)

• noodlecake says:

Well done you! :) *claps*

• Baka says:

Maybe I misinterpret something here, but it’s right in the FAQ posted:

Q: Is the Back to Karkand expansion pack exclusive to pre-orders?

Couldn’t care less about the weapons, but seeing how longevity of BC2 hung on the drippling of map-packs for my friends and me, I’m really grumpy about cutting out so much content right from the get-go.

• Tomm says:

@Baka, they’re not really cutting out content per se. This expansion pack (in the same way as Vietnam) will probably be released a month or two after the main game. They’re just rewarding people who pre-order with a free copy. Which to me sounds great. The extra exclusive weapons I am less fond of.

HermitUK says:

Yeah, Back to Karkand is an expansion, separate from the main game. Think of it more along the lines of BC2 Vietnam or BF1943. It’s four BF2 maps with BF2 vehicles and weapons. If you preorder, you’re getting it free, which is a pretty sweet deal. If you don’t, you’re not going to miss it – the expansion will almost certainly run on separate servers like BC2 Vietnam did, so you’re not going to get kicked from servers for not owning it.

Edit: And this does make it different to the free dripfeed of maps vanilla BC2 had. There’s no reason to think they’ll change their policy on adding that content to the base game for free on PC post-release. Yet, anyway. If anything, stuff like the mini expansions, the Spec Ops pack for BC2 and stuff like the Physical Warfare pack are the means by which they fund the free extra maps.

11. Mark says:

Personally I’m worried about the risk of splitting the player base on the very day the game launches.

12. daf says:

Looking it from EA point of view offering day one DLC makes allot of sense as it pushes people to pre-order it and getting it at launch day for full price, pushing people that wait until the first round of price drops to buy earlier. They’re a business and has every other business they’re about one and only one thing, maximizing profits so I can’t really blame them. Still, it’s a bit annoying it always gets passed as a “reward to fans” instead of what it really is, guess it wouldn’t sound as nice…

13. John Connor says:

Personally don’t give a shit that it’s preorder DLC, I give a shit that it’s preorder DLC for specific retailers. If I preorder your game, I should get that shit whether I preorder it from Steam or Origin or from the shady guy on the corner.

14. BooleanBob says:

What really grates me is the frankly galling two-facedness with which EA are trying to peddle both ways on this.

If it’s true the exclusive kit ‘will not give you a significant advantage on the battlefield’, then why are does their own marketing site for the game prominently promote it as ‘advanced hardware for battlefield superiority’?

That is pretty terrible.

• theallmightybob says:

At the end of the day crappy players will still be crappy players. A 12 round shot gun firing fletchets is going to be useless against a tank or someone standing to far away with an AR or sub machinegun. I’m just scared what someone will be able to do with 12 slugs in that thing. hopefully is not as anoying as the shotgun sniping from BC2.

• Tomm says:

If anything Bad Company 2 has taught me that it’s all about the player rather than the particular weapon, but I guess we don’t know how powerful/OP anything will be until we play the game. Tho’ I’ll presume the game will have something akin to the USAS-12, which had a ridiculous 10 shot capacity, so a 12 shot auto shouldn’t be so much worse.

But as you say, they don’t have a fantastic track record with balance. My biggest current gripe is that you can snipe someone with a shotgun from 10s of metres away, but lag compensation makes hitting them at point blank very difficult.

• Tuor says:

‘Two men say they’re Jesus. One of them must be wrong.’ — Dire Straits

15. patricij says:

I bought the MoH DLC…and I was hugely disappointed, almost nobody played that mod…bah

16. Chris Evans says:

You have to wonder sometimes about the games industry, with a rising level of pre-order deals with ‘exclusive’ content and an increase in review embargoes until release day, it seems like there is a bit of a con going on. I’m sure that a lot of the people who had pre-ordered Duke would have reconsidered if they had been able to read reviews before release.

Similar situation with BF3, people are encouraged to pre-order to get exclusive content, but there will be a possibility that they won’t be able to read a review of the game until release day. If the game turns out to be crap (I sincerely hope not) they will be crying out that they have been swindled.

• Wilson says:

@Chris Evans – Yeah, I think the winning move is to bite the bullet and generally stay away from pre-orders. Luckily I’m not a huge fan of these kinds of games (though they certainly have their moments), but if I was then the pre-order extra stuff, or bonuses from particular retailers, would annoy me. More through the principle of the thing than anything else (because realistically, a few guns you can’t get shouldn’t cripple your fun), but still.

Malibu Stacey says:

The winning move is to wait for the price reduced, all inclusive version.
      I recently purchased Fallout 3 GOTY for £15 & Assassins Creed 2 GOTY for £7 brand new for PS3. Buying the DLC alone on PSN would cost as much if not more for both those games.

LarsBR says:

And that’s a fine strategy for single player games, but there is something special about discovering a multi player game along with everyone else, instead of joining later where everybody knows how to disable a tank in the most efficient way possible, which is no fun at all for the newbie tank commander.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

@Chris Evans

Sure. But in this case, there’s an open beta.

17. Koojav says:

So if I buy game after it’s being released and reviewed by several gaming sites I receive product stripped out of content ?

Hm… fuck it then.

First Modern Warfare 2 paid map packs priced 14eur.
    Now additionaly paid map packs are being announced months before game is released.

What the fuck happened between Call of Duty 4 and now ?

• Tomm says:

With regard to ‘map-packs’, no content is stripped out. This is an expansion pack in the same way Vietnam was, and isn’t released with the main game. Pre-orderers just get the expansion for free, rather than having to pay for it a month or two down the line when it gets released.

• Koojav says:

@Tomm, my main point is that they announce paid (in case you want to buy a product that has been already reviewed) expansions months before the release.

Some time ago, DLCs were considered additional stuff, released months _after_ the release. Stuff that just couldn’t have been done before releasing game or even wasn’t planned at that time. Sometimes they were free, sometimes paid. I was usually ok with that since it was additional dev time spent on making game more fun.

Right now they have everything planned in their dev schedule. Whole content will be finished before game will hit shelves. It’s not a DLC or a map pack anymore. It’s just another way of hiding actual cost of a game.

• Tomm says:

Unfortunately that’s the current state of the industry. Now we can either have a go at them for releasing details of the expansion this early, or we can appreciate that they’re giving us a free expansion just for pre-ordering. (Ignoring the weapons) I’m choosing the latter.

It’d be hard to offer a free expansion pack for pre-ordering if you didn’t release any details of said expansion.

• Koojav says:

The thing is, it’s not an expansion, it’s core of the game. Map available before the release.

I understand that this is your personal view on that matter and I accept it.

Unfortunately from my perspective publisher is trying to force me into buying non-reviewed product or I will need to pay more and wait an unspecified amount of time to receive game with full set of contents, except the guns, that I will never get.

I think I’ll move to steps back from being eager to buy this title after first positive reviews to position where I wait and see what develops with the status of map pack after the release and since MW3 is coming out at a very similar date EA might just have lost a customer.

And yeah, I know: “Who cares about your 50 bucks?”. I do.

• NikRichards says:

Tomm

But they’re already working on the map, it can be seen in videos.

That’s dev time that is being put into DLC before the inital release and something I’m not really happy with.

• Tomm says:

@Koojav It IS an expansion. It’s BF2 maps, weapons and vehicles all wrapped up into a package, released after BF3 comes out. In the same way that Vietnam was released a couple months after BFBC2 was released, with new maps, weapons and vehicles that was a separate game mode from the ‘core’ multiplayer game.

It certainly isn’t the core of the game, they’re just promoting it now, so that pre-orderer’s know what they’re getting for free. Admittedly they haven’t publicised it in the best way, but still, you can’t call it my personal view, since we now know the facts.

@NikRichards
      Who knows, with regards to the map packs, if they’re currently working on it, have finished working on it, or have yet to finish it, or even the amount of development it’s getting with regards to the full game?

If you’re worried that they are possibly/maybe/potentially working on the DLC alongside the main game and that it’ll somehow detract from it, then you have to remember that the developers are professionals, and can almost certainly handle doing that.

You could almost look at it to be: they’re going to release this expansion anyway, might as well get it 2 months after release rather than 8 like Vietnam. Seeing as it’s BF2 related you can see the argument for getting it out sooner.

So why aren’t you happy with it?

• Koojav says:

@Tomm

“No-one is forcing you to pre-order, If you want to wait until reviews come in, then do that. If you buy the game a week after release, you will still have the same core game (SP&MP) that pre-orderers have. You’ll just have to pay for the expansion when it eventually comes out.”

“If you buy MW3 because of this, then you are frankly mad, because Activision are more likely to pull this sort of shit than any other publisher.”

@Koojav
      “Exactly. I will need to pay more to get the contents which are being developed before the release of the game.”

We don’t actually know if they’re currently being worked on. For all we know they did the mockup of the maps, continued working on the main game and will continue working on the expansion post-release.

Getting antsy about which point in the timeline development of an expansion pack was started is really not worth the effort.

“At some point I’ll have to decide which mainstream shooter to buy this year and EA isn’t helping itself behaving like it is now.”

• svge says:

@koojav

Just because the expansion is being devoloped alongside the main game it doesn’t mean you are entitled to that content for free regardless of when you buy the game. The developers are putting considerably more time into developing this expansion and you can either reward them for the time they are spending on it by paying for it when it is released or by taking a risk and preordering the main game without knowing how good it will be.

• Koojav says:

@Tomm,
      “Or y’know you could judge the game on its merits rather than the actions of the publisher.”

@svge,
      “Just because the expansion is being devoloped alongside the main game it doesn’t mean you are entitled to that content for free regardless of when you buy the game.”

No. Because it’s a part of the game developed before the release.

Calling work of secondary team an expansion doesn’t make it one. DICE has people working on BF3 and I don’t give a fuck into how many teams they are divided or how many subcontractors they hire.

It’s not my problem as a gamer/customer.

@Koojav,

“I prefer to judge product based on three things – who is trying to sell what to me in what way.”

Well that seems fair, but earlier you were writing the game off without regard to the actual game.

“You’re either developing a game or an expansion to it. There is no such thing as development of both at the same time.”

Since when? Did you decide this was the rule?

“You develop a game, with all of its content. You release it. If game sells well you put additional dev time into producing more of the content based on the core content of the game.”

Or you can anticipate that you will release DLC anyway and think about it ahead of time. Again, nowhere has it been explicitly stated that they are simultaneously working on the DLC.

“If a production of a game was divided between three teams, one responsible for maps, second one for weapons and third for storyline would you call work of second and third teams an expansion to the base content? Would you charge customers additionaly for this work? No. Because it’s a part of the game developed before the release.”

No, but because it’s actually critical to the game that it gets released with a story, textures and assets. This expansion pack is an expansion pack, regardless of when it’s developed. It contains assets not part of BF3 and it’s not critical that the game be released with it. There’s a difference.

“Calling work of secondary team an expansion doesn’t make it one.”

No-one ever said that it did.

18. mundox says:

EA are just a bunch of douches… preorder now and get some ingame crap we just cut out of the game and TOLD you it’s a bonus!

They should take lessons from Atlus… seriously just try and compare what they give you for a preorder vs. EA

Bonus Offer – Sound Disc and Art Book
    Pre-order and get the Catherine Sound Disc and Art Book. The 36-page, full-color art book measures 5.25″ x 6.75″ x 1.3” and is packed with the beautiful character designs of artist Shigenori Soejima. The 11-track music CD features the best musical themes of the game specially remixed by composer Shoji Meguro. Both the Sound Disc and Art Book will be included in the shipment. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. This offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders.

I remember back when BF2 Special Forces came out they gave me an effing tshirt (which I still have), now they try and make me buy the game where THEY want me to and give ingame items that should be part of the game in the first place? gtfo EA.

• Delusibeta says:

Not to mention CD Projekt, who stuffed the base version of The Witcher 2 with more stuff than most collector’s editions.

• Binman88 says:

@mundox 11 songs and some pictures of concept art? How is that somehow better than a free expansion pack? I’ll take the expansion pack every day of the week. Don’t need another fiddly little book gathering dust on my shelf.

19. NieArch says:

Didn’t Brink had bonus weapons that you could only get in specific shops? I don’t remember people making fuss about it.

• Tatourmi says:

Nobody cared much about brink, I think that is the problem.

Battlefield 3 is hyped to death.

• Unaco says:

I never played the game, or looked too closely at the pre-order bonuses etc. But the ‘exclusive’ weapons were, apparently, just re-skins of weapons in the game for everyone. There was one item that was exclusive to some specific pre-order, that gave you a sight with better peripheral vision or similar.

And just because this has happened before and there hasn’t been a huge fuss (there’s always been some grumbling about these sorts of things) or concerted effort to bring the ‘community’s’ displeasure to the attention of the Devs/Publishers, doesn’t mean there can’t/shouldn’t be a fuss over it this time. We shouldn’t be saying “Why didn’t you kick off when X or Y happened?” and should instead be saying “Better late than never”.

Although, if DICE have turned round and said “Quiet, children, the grown ups are speaking!” like they just have, I’m not sure this is going to be the glorious revolution in PC gaming retail practices we’d be hoping for.

• Komodo says:

They were just reskins of weapons already in game.

• SprintJack says:

And isn’t this the same case? If they say that the LMG is balanced then maybe its just new model with same stats as some other gun ingame.

• Commisar says:

yes, but they were all cosmetic

20. hookjamweasel says:

The only, and hookjamweasel means ONLY, reason why people work to make purchasable games is TO MAKE MONEY.

Their target audience is non-pirating extra chump change having for spending on luxury hobbies people like ME.

I will see EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU (regardless of your comments) in BF3 online on day one.

Good day…

• Milky1985 says:

*in the camp moriarty voice from Sherlock*

no you wooonnn’ttt

I can say 100% you won’t see me online on day 1 due ot the aim to not buy it atm , and even if i do, i won’t be online :p

My reason for not buying atm is different tho, if they would just sodding well confirm or deny the DX11 only rumors i might be able to pre-order!

• theallmightybob says:

I’m pretty sure its not a romor, they are ditching dx9 in the PC version. But dx11 is backwards compatable with dx10 cards, it just wont be as shiny.

Its about time a big company decided to cut of the XP market anyways, Its getting long in the tooth.

• Nick says:

dx10+ only, dx11 is listed by them under recommended, dx10 under minimum.

• Commisar says:

me too, I can’t wait to play me some BF3 online, hopefully with my new graphics card that I may just be able to purchase this summer (the 1GB 4870 might melt under BF3′s requirements)

21. DiamondDog says:

The map pack really is the worst part of this whole thing. As was said in the other article on this, the extra guns won’t imbalance anything, that’s just nonsense.

Yet, after EA and DICE made their little joke at E3 about their game not charging you to play online, they then go and charge for a map pack. Just like Activision. Bit sad really.

22. TooNu says:

The ONLY game worth pre-ordering is Deus Ex.

23. Longrat says:

If there’s one thing that playing DotA has taught me it’s this. Greed is good.

If you think you can kill someone, but you might die as a result, it doesn’t matter! Gaining gold is always better than not gaining gold.

If your team’s strongest player needs to get gold to help your team win, it doesn’t matter! You still need gold because gold is good.

Greed is ALWAYS good.

24. Kuroko says:

I guess I’ll be skipping this one too, cause I’m not gonna install their crappy Origin shit and bend to their abusive DLC policies.

• Tomm says:

As far as I’m aware you only install Origin if you want to buy it from their store. You’re still free to buy it Retail or from Steam or any other place that sells it.

• Delusibeta says:

You’ll still need an Origin account. Which is exactly the same thing as the EA account you used in Bad Company 2.

• Tomm says:

Yeah, but that’s not really the same as the Origin Client that the OP was trying to complain about? Threatening to skip a game because it’s coming out on a Client that you don’t have to use, just seems a bit mad.

God I hope I can remember my password when it comes out.

25. Radiant says:

Has anyone actually played Battlefield multiplayer?

A re-skinned gun and some fancy bullets are not going to unbalance a game where you’re greatest fear is being murdered by autistic 14 year olds flying a GUNSHIP.

This pokemon culture of collectables, perks and unlocks is getting ridiculous.

• theallmightybob says:

It does have the potential to mess with squad death match games were its mostly everyone on foot. But to be fair the shot gun was allways kinda of “meh” unless you put slugs in it like in BC2.

At that point a 12 round semi auto shotgun is just going to put you on par with someone using a semi auto rifle like the m14, which will likely be in BF3; and you likely wont be able to put a x4 scope on the shotty.

I am just speculating of corse based on the balance in BC2

• Milky1985 says:

Hopefully this time they remember that helicopters actually arn’t that well armoured and let you shoot them down with bullets :P

My fear was always the jets anyway, if the other team had a good jet pilot there was literally nothing you could do cause the aa turrets wouldn’t stay up long enough to be able to shoot back!

• theallmightybob says:

@milky:
      well you could shoot them down with bullets, it just had to be the 50 cal. anti-material rifle. as for jets, you just have to have a good jet pilot too then to shoot him down.

26. Bungle says:

I’m out. I’ve been an online FPS addict for the past five years, but I’m done buying games in this genre. TF2 is good enough to entertain me when I get bored. I’m not buying this crap anymore. This doesn’t even resemble the hobby I got into just five years ago. Big corporations moved in and ruined my fucking good time. Thanks.

27. James Carey says:

Anyone remember when you used to get maps, guns, and even factions/armies in the patches for Battlefield games?

LarsBR says:

You only got factions in bf2 patches a looong time after they’d been released in dlcs.

• James Carey says:

I was thinking of the canadians in BF1942.

• Splynter says:

I personally think the real issue here is a lack of modding/mapping tools. The whole company line of te engine being ‘too complex’ is just a way to muscle out hobbyists so they the company can release paid DLC and all these other new tactics. I agree that the developers do have a right to make money, and expecting free content after release is simply a result of PC gamers having been somewhat spoiled in the past. However, there is no doubt in my mind that mods like PR and Desert Combat contributed significantly to both sales and popularity for the series, though the lack of a direct link to numbers means the publishers will never admit it. Hell, if they want to be able to point directly to numbers, they should release mod tools as 5$ DLC. That would make everyone happier than the current situation and give the devs a reason to release em’.

Edit: Oops, misreply. I always do that on my phone…

28. Drake Sigar says:

I am strong, and thus have never bought a special edition, limited edition, or chocolate sprinkles edition video game.

29. Teddy Leach says:

I still don’t care. I’m still buying it.

30. SuperNashwanPower says:

“Unfortunately, the words ‘limited edition’ retain a terrible, terrible power”

You might like to read a book called “Influence – Science and Practice” by Robert Cialdini. Its sort of an essay about the hidden psychological principles that make us want things / want to do things, and the way marketing folks and ‘compliance professionals’ use and abuse those. ‘Limited Edition’ invokes the “Scarcity Principle”. As an aside, Internet forums and sites like facebook invoke the “Social Proof” principle. Its an interesting book, both for those who want to avoid getting dinged by these things and aspiring control freaks.

31. Holybasil says:

Q: Why do you offer pre-order bonus items?

Hurray we get content that should be in the game to begin with.
    Fuck it. No modern shooters from either EA or Activision is being bought by me this year.

• cliffski says:

who says it should be in the game to begin with? Was that a commandment moses added later?
      I reckon all cars should have satnav in the car to begin with, but they still charge extra for it.

lurkalisk says:

Think of it this way: No one would ever think the game more than complete had those extras been in the game to begin with, and definitely not worth more than a standard price. Yet selling them separately adds who knows how much to the total price, despite the fact that 3 maps and 3 weapons are (relative to the original content) NOT worth whatever will be charged.

• DrGonzo says:

All cars will soon come with satnav as standard, and should.

No, we are not entitled to those maps, but they aren’t entitled to my money either. You can argue about the morals behind it all you want, but this sort of deal draws me to piracy.

There are thousands of us pirates who are on the fence, I myself buy the majority of the games I play. But I feel no moral obligation to pay, as many others don’t. However, when treated well by a company I do feel obliged to pay, to support those kind of actions.

Announcing DLC before the game has even been finished really puts me off, and has made piracy far more tempting for me.

• Binman88 says:

All cars will soon come with satnav as standard, and should.

And their prices will reflect that. Really though, cars are a bad example because they don’t have consistent pricing like games.

You’re not entitled to them and they’re not entitled to your money. Did someone say they are entitled to your money? If you don’t want these maps, then no, they’re not entitled to your money Captain Obvious, but if you do want these maps then you’re going to have to pay. Not sure how this draws you to piracy? I suppose much the same way a person goes into a shop to buy a loaf of bread, realises the butter doesn’t come with it for free, so decides to steal it all instead.

How noble of you, Sir Pirate.

I don’t see why. Where’s the justification for pirating the game here? I can see a justification to make a personal financial decision and choose not to buy the game, but what entitles you to a free copy?

• Binman88 says:

And no one would think the game was less complete had these maps never been announced, but now that they have everyone thinks they should be in the game for free! Like, their mere existence entitles you to them!

32. tripwired says:

This sense of entitlement growing within some areas of the PC gaming community is really starting to do my head in. You lot need to chill the hell out. If you’re not happy with pre-order bonus items or DLC map packs, then don’t buy them. Simple.

The bonus weapons won’t be overpowered. Even if they were, they would just have their effectiveness balanced out in a future patch. As for the map pack, if you want to play the jazzy Frostbite 2 versions, then pay for the time and development it takes for them to convert the maps. I don’t begrude the developers trying to make some extra money, what other forms of entertainment could you get 100+ hours of entertainment for £30-40?

We want high quality games, so that requires highly skilled development teams. That takes money. Anyway, if you really, really like a game, then you can buy DLC, map packs, hats, whatever and get some more enjoyment out of the game, whilst rewarding the developers and publishers for their efforts. If you don’t like it that much, then just play the base game and stop complaining.

• SmithM says:

This sense of entitlement growing within some areas of the fanboy PC gaming community is really starting to do my head in. You lot need to stop to shill the hell out. If you’re happy with pre-order bonus items or DLC map packs, then shut up about it. Simple.

• Deano2099 says:

“If you’re not happy with pre-order bonus items or DLC map packs, then don’t buy them.”

It’s not simple though is it?

Because those things don’t exist yet. So how can I be happy with them or not? There’s no reviews or chance to see them in action. And with this weapons pack, as soon as they are available to be looked at, they’re no longer available to buy.

While I hate the phrase, there is an entitlement culture in gaming. But feeling entitled to wait for reviews before you buy and not get ripped off is entirely fair if you ask me.

33. SmithM says:

Q: Why do I want the Physical Warfare Pack?

Oh so it gives a small advantage then instead of a significant one?

• theallmightybob says:

Dont worry, if you suck at the game you will still suck at the game.

34. slpk says:

I really believed they were going to do this whole thing right, from start to finish. A brilliant marketing campaign and a awesome release. They were going to make history and everyone would rejoice and praise DICE for their geniality.
    Well, I guess, back to the real world.

35. cliffski says:

This is possibly the impact of sales. Everyone has this ‘haha! I’ll get it for $1 in the steam sale!’ attuitude, quite understandably, and obviously games with budgets this big cannot survive being bought just for $1. They need a way to force you to buy it at full price, and this is that way.

I can’t say I’m surprised, but it’s a bit sad they can’t be honest about it. If I was doing it, I would be. What’s wrong with saying “this is an incentive for people to pay full price, which is obviosuly preferable for us as the developers”.

• Deano2099 says:

Aye, the problem is that creates a dead zone of value right after launch which I don’t think is helpful.

Putting aside the items only available for pre-order and just looking at the free DLC the question is:

1) Do I pre-order for $40, and get $10 of free DLC
      2) Do I wait, buy it a week or so after launch for $40, and pay an extra $10 for DLC
      3) Do I wait a bit longer, until the price is $30 or less, and get it for effectively the same price as the pre-order people did.

The problem is, option 2 is clearly a rip-off for the consumer. It’s a bad choice. There’s simply no way I’ll pay for a game that would have been cheaper had I ordered it in advance. I’ll wait until goes back down to the pre-order price at least. I think stuff like this will actually encourage people to wait for the sales if they don’t pre-order.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

@ Cliffski, “If I was doing it I would be”, Thus is why you are not a mega multi millionaire =/ Honesty gets you nowhere these days.

I totally agree with you on the concept that they are just trying to entice people to pay full price (These games are getting ridiculously expensive to produce.) and the returns are dwindling(More competition, consumers spending less/more wary.- It must hurt to see a bloke like Notch develop a game out of nothing by himself and get such good returns..)

I dislike the idea, I will not boycott this game, I will buy it day one release, wether that is “Physical warfare pack” or not, I do not know yet, But there is an impressive amount of technology packed into this game, from the looks of it, and I am prepared to reward developers for that. (Hell I bought ArmA 2 about 3-4 times..)

• Deano2099 says:

I should add: it’s different for indie games, where they’re offering incentives to pre-order so they can get some money in early to pay the rent, than it is for huge publishers, where the motivation is to lock-in orders before release so people don’t change their mind if the reviews are bad.

Malibu Stacey says:

Cliffski the problem isn’t that people go “Oh I’ll get it for £5 in the Steam sale”. It’s that there is masses of content available & only so much time to play it. Any reasonable person would inevitably wait to get something they don’t need right now when it’s available at a discount. Perfect examples for me would be Portal 2, Frozen Synapse & Terraria. I love the sound of these games but as I don’t have time to play them right now I’m content to wait until they’re discounted at which point I’ll add them to my Steam account & put them on the “to be played” list.
      I have dozens of singleplayer games in my Steam account which I haven’t even started playing yet plus the handful of games which are half-finished such as S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl & SpaceChem. Add multiplayer games like TF2, Killing Floor etc. & randomly generated strategy games like AI War, SotS, GalCiv2, SoaSE & there is a veritable deluge of content fighting for my gaming time just on the PC.
      It also doesn’t help that Sony gave me free copies of WipEout HD/Fury and inFAMOUS & I also picked up cheap copies of Fallout 3 GotY & Assassins Creed 2 GotY for the PS3 all of which are thoroughly entertaining without even switching my PC on (which reminds me I must get back to Burnout Paradise to complete my Elite licence some day).

36. Hellrz666 says:

oh noes .. there is this new company called “up your ass” selling toilet paper .. and if u buy it at your store today u get 2 extra rolls… now i think that sucks pretty hard, because i dont know what that toilet paper is like and want to wait for my friends to test it… but if i buy it tommorow my friends will have a huge advantage, because i have dont have those extra toilet paper rolls and will have to buy more earlier.

and so i started this internet boycott on peepootoiletpaper.com

come on, finally there is stuff in pre-orders that i like … i dont need posters, mousepads, art, music or whatever….

and for those people who talk about cutting stuff out of the game : who the f*** knows what those bad bad game developers cut out of games without you even knowing..

i played bf2 and bc2 and from what i have seen, it looks like a lot of fun.

paying for a promising game:
    a) 50 $ with extra maps
    b) 50 $ without extra maps

make your choice and stop whining about every little thing…
    fuel, gas and electricity companys want your money even more , dont see anybody boycotting that….

• Milky1985 says:

Yes because things that are essential for living in this day and age are excatly the same as entertainment items….

Idiot

• Tomm says:

@Milky1985, criticizing hyperbole for being hyperbole, nice.

• Binman88 says:

Also @Milky1985, you’ve exposed the fact that people are getting annoyed about an entertainment product that is very non-essential and unimportant indeed. Seems a bit silly doesn’t it.

Toilet paper is where our concerns should lie.

Diziet Sma says:

The world will be a better place when people stop whining about there being bonuses for pre-orders.

38. Rii says:

New DICE, same as the old DICE.

Might sit this one out, at least until the $10 days. I was looking forward to the game but I don’t feel like rewarding this sort of bullshit, and my gaming calender looks to be fairly packed in any case. Red Orchestra 2, here I come! Hopefully NS2 will actually eventuate at some point also. And then there’s Depth.

39. fr3d says:

I dislike DLC in general because I feel that they usually want more money for the items or whatever it is then I feel that they are worth, but when you give people items that they cannot buy later in a MP focused game, it really makes we want to not buy the game. At least make them available for purchase or something, it’s not like I would buy them but at least I would have the option to.

They might as well just release it as “free to play” and sell all weapons separately.

I guess EA/Dice made the choice between BF3 & RO2 simple now.

40. Deano2099 says:

But this is the inevitable consequence.

Because publishers realised that they also get lots more money from people buy on launch day rather than a few months later.

That $10 bonus stuff for new copies is slowly moving to pre-order copies only. It’s no longer enough to buy new, but you need to buy full price too.

This is depressing. Why? Well we’re already an industry that puts the latest release ridiculously far ahead of our back catalog. Try finding a non AAA release more than a year old in a game shop. Which is silly, especially now, with the current console generation being twice as long as normal, focussing on the back catalog and older games should be a huge thing. Every other industry does it, but rather than encouraging it, we’re moving further in the direction of “only sales at full price within one month of release matter”.

Depressing.

Malibu Stacey says:

You’re being a bit of a negative nancy there. That’s patently not true especially in the console market. Both the PS3 & Xbox 360 have older games re-released at a lower price point to make them available to people who didn’t pick them up originally. These versions (Platinum on PS3, Classics I think on XBox 360) often come with all the DLC released for a game too which makes them more desirable & even better value. If anything publishers should want to encourage a long shelf life for their games.

Hell gog.com basically refutes your point just by existing.

• Rii says:

@Deano2099
      “This is Project $10 on steroids. I supported that, as used game sales suck for publishers as they get zero money from them, so it’s a way to claw a little back.”

Yeah, it’s really terrible for the industry when their product works just like every other product.

The ability to on-sell the game is one of the things you’re paying for. The lack of such ability is why the only games I’ve ever bought at full price from Steam are those from Valve. And EA? You ain’t no Valve.

The AAA industry is moving in entirely the wrong direction by charging their customers ever more money and ever more constricting what those customers can do with the product they’ve purchased. I suspect the AAA industry (save a few high-profile flyers) is simply going to implode within the next few years, and I’ll be laughing when it does.

• Deano2099 says:

And what percentage of console games get released on ‘Platinum’ or whatever? The blockbusters get re-released for obvious reasons, but anything that doesn’t sell gangbusters never gets a second chance. Can you imagine if only the top 10% grossing films got release on DVD?

GoG is a step forwards, but still PC only at the moment.

@Rii, you’re right and from a theoretical/moral position I absolutely agree with you. But from a practical point of view, you have game stores selling pre-owned titles for a couple of quid cheaper than the new ones, and make a fortune on them. While also wanting to be the primary retail channel for new games. That’s a situation only replicated in the automobile industry.

The thing is, Project $10 shouldn’t work. The only reason it does is that the difference between what game stores charge for new and secondhand titles is less than $10. On a $50 game. In theory it should force down secondhand prices so the industry starts making some sort of sense again.

41. shaydeeadi says:

The T-88LMG was fucking terrible in BC2, so I doubt it will break too many hearts this time around. The flechette rounds sound right up my alley though. So the conundrum begins……

42. Yzzerdd says:

Q: Why do you offer pre-order bonus items?
    A: Because we believe in rewarding our core fanbase for blindly buying whatever game we put out — make sure to preorder now to get a hat in TF2!

• theallmightybob says:

To be fair that “blind fanbase” is why they have a job, it pays back the over head. What are you doing for them lately?

You also sound poor and Irish.

43. Sigh says:

“Oh Noes I might have to face somebody that is fielding a slightly different weapon load-out just like in every battle that has ever happened in history. I need to cancel my pre-order and go make a big internet fuss and cry in my pudding.”

Anyone who is crying about not having access to three weapons and openly weeping about potential imbalance issues should not be playing a Battlefield game anyway. I will not miss these delicate flowers in my online BF3 matches. They are probably the same players that spam the all-player text chat with complaints that the teams are uneven or that the person that just killed them is a cheater every time they die.

Look away from you computer screen long enough to see the world and notice the meaningful causes you could be rallying around.

Videogames are non-essential luxury items.

44. Stupoider says:

So when’s Red Orchestra 2 coming out?

45. Ravenger says:

I rarely pre-order PC games these days, due to DRM, because games are generally really buggy at launch, and also because DLC means it’s far cheaper to wait for the GOTY version.

I remember the experience of Bad Company 2 where the game was almost impossible to play for a couple of weeks because the login and stats servers were completely overloaded. They totally underestimated the demand.

So I have a problem here – I need to preorder to get the map-pack for free, but my experience tells me never to buy pre-order a DICE game because there are always bugs and server issues at launch.

46. Rymosrac says:

Here’s my beef with these kind of purchaseable features, and DLC map packs – And I’m surprised no one else has mentioned this.

They singlehandedly guarantee that we won’t be getting mod tools.

And their excuse for this is even poorer than their excuse for the DLC content. They claim the engine is too complicated for modders. As someone who pays a lot of attention to mod communities across a great many games and genres. . . That’s pretty damn insulting, and almost certainly devoid of anything that resembles truth. If the crysis engine didn’t so much as slow modders down (look at Mechwarrior: Living Legends) then I have trouble believing that the kind of dedicated teams we often see spring from the mod community couldn’t come to grips with Frostbite 2.

I’m a longtime fan of the battlefield series, and especially of the battlefield mod community. This will not be receiving my purchase.

47. rayne117 says:

It’s pretty sad they can’t even give us Strike at Karkand (a staple of BF2 infantry mp) for free. EA man, I tell ya.

48. aircool says:

I pre-order most of my games.

They generally arrive a day early (even if you can’t activate them until the friday), they’re no more expensive that a newly released copy in a shop.

There ain’t no shops around here that actually sell PC games anymore.

Internet speeds in the arse end of nowhere are just too slow to download most games. Which is why I only use services such as Steam, D2D and Gamersgate for games that I could download in under 6 hours or so.

If the game looks like it’s going to be a stinker, you can still cancel at the last minute, or just not open the package and send it back.

Pre-order bonuses, day zero patches and the like are just part of progress. There’s no point in fighting it, just play the game and enjoy it.

• Khann says:

“just part of progress. There’s no point in fighting it, just play the game and enjoy it.”

Fucking terrifies me that so many people seem to have this attitude these days.

Revisor says:

When Battlefield 3 comes out, I’ll buy the discounted Brink.

Playing everything several months later has its advantages. :)