Hackers Lulzsec Take Eve & Minecraft Offline

By Alec Meer on June 14th, 2011 at 7:20 pm.

Hope you're safe, Steve

Update 2: League of Legends is the latest target. Its login servers are currently down, with its website also apparently suffering.

Update 1: Notch has told us that “Looks like we’re back up.. I just hope it lasts!”

Following yesterday’s Bethesda incursion, and earlier attacks on the likes of Sony and Nintendo, hacker collective Lulzsec have targeted further games and gaming services today. Over the last couple of hours, they’ve taken out first Eve Online and then Minecraft’s login servers, as well as knocking out gaming site The Escapist.

This seems to have stemmed from Lulzsec’s open call for target suggestions on Twitter earlier today, which itself followed their takedown of The Escapist in response to negative comments threads about them there.

Both games are offline for the time being (edit- Minecraft appears to be working again for now). Minecraft’s site is still up as I write, but Eve’s is not. CCP have confirmed that “EVE Online and related services are currently offline, to return ASAP after investigation of some issues.” The prevailing sentiment has it that these are DDoS attacks, which may mean the games can come back online relatively soon.

Lulzsec are referring to this on Twitter as ‘TitanticTakeoverTuesday‘ and claim they’re still going through requests – so one can only presume this is not over yet.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Kaira- says:

Soooo… are they coming next for RPS, IGN or what?

• pakoito says:

Probably.

• RedNick says:

Of course not, RPS are giving them way to much publicity for that

• iniudan says:

The escapist was giving them lot of publicity and they still took them down.

• Teddy Leach says:

Yes, but the Escapist community were being pretty damned hostile towards them.

Wait. Shit.

• Undermind_Mike says:

OK so I know IT security is not easy… but are they using totally different approaches every time? If not why can’t companies (bigger ones at least, I know Mojang is just like 6 dudes) prepare themselves based on the tactics used on the previous victims? Are the hacked companies refusing to share how even with other firms?

• CMaster says:

@Undermind
      This isn’t hacking the sites I think, this is simply DDOSing them. It’s possible to make yourself more resistant to DDOS, but the only way to be immune to it is to remove yourself from the net entirely.

• Maktaka says:

@CMaster. Indeed, which means this behavior has absolutely nothing to do with anything Anonymous or LulzSec has stated is their mission in all this. They’re not demonstrating weak security, they’re not protesting companies taking too much personal information, they’re not doing anything useful. They are, as their name implies, in it for the lulz. Anyone who actually believes they’re a group of white hat hackers is deluding themselves. If you attack enough targets, you’ll eventually hit someone who deserves it, but that doesn’t make your actions justifiable.

• Snoken says:

I think this is really the lowest thing I’ve seen yet. What is the point of this? As a dedicated Eve and Minecraft player I am utterly disgusted by the childishness of this act. Just go ahead and hack Sony, Blizzard or EA for being money grabbing bastards that spoil every game and screw people over in any possible way for all I care, but please spare gaming companies that try to be there for their customers and try to make a difference in the gaming industry by giving people what they paid for. Also screw them for hacking Bethesda at least they try to do decent games where you get something for the couple quid you spent…

• otzenGulasch says:

but how do you acquire user data with a DDos Attack?

• Quinnbeast says:

You don’t . You just force the service offline for a short period.

• dadioflex says:

Edit: no matter…

• otzenGulasch says:

well, intended as a rhetorical question :)
      I tried to point out they did more than DDos.

• geldonyetich says:

This is a division of anonymous we’re talking about. They’d take each other down for the fun of it.

• Valvarexart says:

LulzSec is not a division of Anonymous. Anonymous doesn’t even have divisions. Anonymous is a bunch of un-organized idiots. The only thing they managed to do was set up an irc, #AnonOps and create a hivemind DDoS. Other, professional/elite hackers hacked Sony and blamed “Anonymous”.

• Gadriel says:

I’m a division of Anonymous. You’re a division of Anonymous. We’re all divisions of Anonymous when we don’t put our names on things.

• geldonyetich says:

>LulzSec is not a division of Anonymous. Anonymous doesn’t even have divisions

Maybe “division” is the wrong word for it. Suffice to say, they’re cut from more or less the same cloth. That being this whole 4chan/SomethingAwful inspired idea of “doing it for the lulz.” When they become political activists, well, now they had a cause. However, they still seem to screw with a lot of people just because they can.

Yes, they’re disorganized, but the thing you need to keep in mind is if you throw enough random people at the Internet at something, you’re going to run into a few who know what they’re doing. I consider what they do to be less elite/professionalism and more proof that the old adage, “where there’s a will, there’s a way” applies to any matter of overcoming security as well. Safety is more or less a matter of not getting the attention of the truly persistent.

The efforts of black hat hackers are somewhat appreciated by white hat hackers as they remind us that we do need to apply at least as much effort towards security as those who are applying effort to overcome it. But, in the long run, it’s going to bite the rest of us in a butt because it’s probably going to mean a lot less Internet freedom in the future. Those who do what they do simply because they can get away with it are why we can’t have nice things.

• Valvarexart says:

>He refers to a blog post

• geldonyetich says:

Last I checked, forbes.com doesn’t let just anyone blog under their domain. Andy Greenberg is the resident cybersecurity senior reporter for this rather prominent publication.

As for how I found that, well… I can’t say that I’m a tech security expert by any means, just a long time Internet resident.

• psyk says:

@Maktaka

WOAH BACK UP

People actually thought these people were doing this for any other reason than to piss people off and make some cash?

I hope that the next time people (who think this is a good thing) get burgled they don’t get angry with the person and just take it as a lesson to improve the security they have.

• Pop says:

You gotta hand it to Anonymous though, they did write some pretty neat poetry.

• gritz says:

• geldonyetich says:

>I wouldn’t expect someone to know the difference between Anonymous and Lulzsec if they can’t tell the difference between Something Awful and 4chan.

And I wouldn’t expect someone who read “this 4chan/SomethingAwful inspired idea of ‘doing it for the lulz’” as meaning “I think 4chan is the same as Something Awful” to have the presence of mind to be worth replying to. But, damn it, I’ve enough caffeine in my system to do it anyway.

• psyk says:

“Lulz Security phone support, with your hosts Pierre Dubois and Francois Deluxe, is currently on 450 missed calls. Thanks for the money. :D”

Congrats to the 450 idiots. Are people going to realize they are being played or is the disinfo and propaganda machine working to well.

• gritz says:

• geldonyetich says:

> Considering the fact that people get banned for using the term “lulz” on Something Awful, its pretty obvious you have no idea what you’re talking about.

> Implying they wouldn’t have to do that for a reason.

*Facehoof*

Oh, and also I’m a brony. Now, there’s something for the petty to chew on for a bit.

• psyk says:

Dick do you know what goons are?

• geldonyetich says:

It is unclear as to which dick you are referring. The one who jumps to the wrong conclusions about the things he opts not to read properly or the one with raw nerve endings from caffeine abuse (speaking). I know what the Goons are, and indeed they are an excellent example of doing it for the lols.

• Recidivist says:

LulzSec said on their twitter:
      “We are the concentrated success of 2005 /b/…”

@psyk They claim to have over 1,500 missed called now with 1,400 or something on hold.

• psyk says:

Is gritz not slang for balls/dick……….fook knows.

Now for some real updates (don’t know why these aren’t in the article)

“Now accepting calls from true lulz fans – let’s all laugh together at butthurt gamers. 614-LULZSEC, accepting as many as we can, let’s roll.”

“Dear angry gamers claiming we just DDoS: (link to lulsec site removed) ujelly gamers? Also, taking phonecalls on 614-LULZSEC right now.”

DON’T RING THE NUMBER THIS IS A WARNING TO THE STUPID AMONG US DO NOT RING THE NUMBER

Strange how they don’t show on the main lulsec twitter page (at least not for me) might be why they aren’t in the article.

EDIT TO ADD
      DO NOT RING THE NUMBER
      It’s a premium rate line, they are just trying to make cash and if what looks to of happened actually did happen then it will go towards more bots.

@Recidivist
      I’m sure they were part of anonops before it got messed with.

• geldonyetich says:

>Is gritz not slang for balls/dick……….fook knows.

You made me look it up, and therefore I must share the misery I’ve inflicted upon myself.

Might not want to post any of their links just in case they decide to load them up with some nice outdated-browser-vulnerability-exploiting scripts. They can always use some more zombies for the cloud. NoScript is your friend, but I wouldn’t want to test it against anyone who knows what they’re doing.

• psyk says:

:D I learn new things each day, thank you internet.
      Removed the link, good idea, people are stupid.

scan, use app, release

• Brendy_C says:

@Pop

There once was a group called Anonymous,
      And they certainly did cause a proper fuss,
      then they hacked Sony
      (Which was kind of phony)
      But resulted in free games for all of us.

• geldonyetich says:

@Brendy_C
      (And a significant amount of credit card fraud, but hey, stick it to the man!)

• Antinomy says:

>LulzSec said on their twitter:
      >“We are the concentrated success of 2005 /b/…”
      >I’m not sure they are part of Anon…Would be kinda silly if they claimed to be, as they are doing kinda the opposite to what Anon stands for o_O

I think I understand the confusion. Over on /b/ there is a distinction between the folks from before 2007ish and the newer folks who became active relatively more recently.

The older users, known as Oldfags, were Anonymous back when Anonymous was just making people on the internet miserable for the hell of it. They didn’t have an agenda aside from being real, legitimate trolls back before the word “troll” became misunderstood and overused.

Newfags, the newer members, for the most part seem to have moral and sociopolitical agendas, have been described as “Faukesian” for their use of Guy Fawkes masks and a general tone of “fighting the power”, and tend to do things like attacking Scientology, Westboro Baptist Church, people who kill cats, people who appear to be shamelessly seeking attention, etc. Even though their attacks aren’t always justified, and it isn’t always clear what they “stand for,” there’s this general theme of them trying to do what they believe is the right thing, even though the can’t always agree on what the “right thing” is.

I believe Lulzsec is admitting to being part of the older era of /b/. They wouldn’t use the term “Anonymous” anymore because even though the word implies that they are faceless and have roots in 4chan, the NAME “Anonymous” has become more synonymous with the newer /b/ crowd that are playing like they’re good guys.

Lulzsec aren’t playing the good guy game like Anonymous, and they don’t “stand for” anything. They want money, and they want to shamelessly attack targets, typically easy targets, for no other reason than for their own amusement. That attitude is more in line with the /b/ crowd from half a decade ago.

Hope that clears things up.

• lurkalisk says:

@geldonyetich

That was very likely a hoax, as they claimed to have information Sony never had to begin with. Also, no fraudulent activities were ever actually linked to the incident.

2. Daniel Rivas says:

I am fast becoming tired of internet hacker gangs.

• simoroth says:

Frankly everyone needs a kick up the ass to move their web technology out of the early 2000′s.

• Daniel Rivas says:

Because they’re cunts. Boring cunts.

• Andrei Sebastian says:

quit complaining man, or they’ll attack RPS too, lol

• Picklesworth says:

@simoroth : The problem is you’re giving the media, the attackers and people in general way too much credit. Yes, it will raise awareness, but it won’t be about security. This won’t draw negative attention to the specific sites, or the specific attackers. Instead, it will make masses of people worried about computers in general. Back to the blind fear that putting stuff in a computer is less secure than the mail system, but this time people have bought in and depend on the things.

They will accept all manner of insane, reactionist security measures imposed by ISPs and governments “for their protection.” I’m not one of those crazy “the Internet is a place” people, but it’s a delicate medium and you can expect it to become very unpleasant (much like air travel), or maybe even useless, when it starts to be governed by fear.

First on the list in the (hopefully) alternate timeline: a serious, per-kilobyte charge for uploading and a requirement that anyone uploading more than 10 MB a week has a permit.

• Inph says:

Sorry, sorry, I know you disapprove of swearing so I’ll sort that out. You are a boring F, star, star, CUNT!

• Daniel Rivas says:

That was a quite good film which many people enjoyed. But not as good as the tv series. I give it three stars out of five, and two cunts.

• dirtyword says:

@simoroth It’s like complimenting a baseball bat wielding Clockwork Orange gang for raising people’s awareness of their poor personal security. Not awesome in the least.

• Hanban says:

I for one am not happy because of their awareness raising. I have little enough time to play EVE as it is. And today I looked forward to getting in an hour or two of a game I very much enjoy. Lo and behold, some assholes had taken down the servers for the lulz. They’re having a laugh, I’m sure, but I am not.

• Wulf says:

Yeah. I definitely don’t agree with their approach.

This is just another case of a bunch of people with too much talent and time on their hands who’ll end up making the word ‘hacker’ synonymous with something incredibly negative that people hate. Once again a culture of people suffer for an idiotic and hostile minority.

Hooray.

I’m sure that white hat hackers everywhere, who’re hard working and decent people, are thanking LulzSec for ruining the word hacker for everyone.

I mean, look at Daniel’s post. (I don’t blame him.)

“I am fast becoming tired of internet hacker gangs.”

Yeah.

That’s going to be happening a lot. I was listening to people associate this with the word hacker a lot when the PSN nonsense was going on, and I have a friend who does hacking of a sort for a living, and he is so very, very tired of this. How many cultures now are going to be ruined via the Internet due to the actions of the minority?

One thing I’ve noticed that is that the Internet makes it so much easier for this to happen – it makes it easier for people to judge other groups based on a minority. I’m sure that this is just cementing how evil ‘hackers’ are in their minds.

Sigh.

Utterly fed up of this.

• Daniel Rivas says:

Hacker has always been synonymous with criminal, Wulf. For better or worse.

• psyk says:

“Why? These big media-friendly takedowns raise awareness. Large companies are hacked every day, and just have “internal reviews” and hide it, never telling their customers.”

This

So many intrusions are left unreported the fact they even told you is a good sign.

• Wisq says:

At least when they were hacking into sites and releasing the data, they were making those sites at least marginally more secure next time around. (Never mind that that’s like being happy you got the flu because you’ll be more resistant to the next one.)

Now that they’re just DDoSing sites, they’re even more useless. It doesn’t take skills to DDoS people, it just takes a botnet. A botnet that they’re wasting on a bunch of one-day hits that will soon be long forgotten, attracting the sort of attention that harms their own botnet — when people realise something’s up and run a malware scanner, or in severe cases, when their ISPs just cut them off.

Way to go, guys.

3. bit_crusherrr says:

CCP are bro tier developers. Why target them?

• Dachannien says:

Because bullying people is really a desperate cry for attention, and bad attention is better than no attention at all.

• MCM says:

Lulzsec is DDOSing EVE because someone asked them to:

Apparently this is what people asked them to do.

• bit_crusherrr says:

No one asked them to take down WoW? Surely doing that would be more of an accomplishment.

• Andrei Sebastian says:

Yes, yes, yes! Take down WoW!

• Teddy Leach says:

I’d like to see them go after Google. That would be interesting.

• bglamb says:

They were scared off by Amazon, so Google are way out of their league.

They’ll stick to a developers that consist of a few guys in a little office somewhere in Europe. (CCP, Notch)

• Torgen says:

bglamb, where’d you hear that? I think it would be interesting to know (and damaging to the “lulsec mystique”) if their failures were also publicized.

• wisnoskij says:

“I’d like to see them go after Google. That would be interesting.”

That would be impossible, basically the whole world is DDOSing them as we speak so a concentrated effort by a few thousand to even a million computers would not make a huge difference in my opinion. But I might be wrong here.

• Temple says:

Go check their twitter feed -mentions that they could not do much with Amazon and they congratualted them for that.
      I think they mention how great their host’s protection vs DDoS is, so I guess they figure everyone should have it.

EDIt: And further proof of my idiotnessness. It was facebook they commended not Amazon.

• Lobotomist says:

I hope police knocks on their door. Just for Lulz

• Oak says:

Because.

4. Komodo says:

… attack someone worthwhile?

5. pakoito says:

AnonOps vs Lulzsec please?

• Mut says:

Now that I’d like to see!

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

It’ll be like Joker vs Batman! And because there is no physical manifestation of that fight and we’ll be getting news of it through news feeds, it’ll be like a text-based adventure on top of that!

• Teddy Leach says:

This still sounds absolutely amazing.

• jon_hill987 says:

This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You are truly incorruptible, aren’t you? Huh? You won’t kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness. And I won’t kill you because you’re just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever.

• Dana says:

And who the hell are anonops ? Scriptkiddies with loic.

• Duke of Chutney says:

would this result in both of them going for 4chan/twitter?

• Harlander says:

Whoever wins, we lose.

6. GT3000 says:

This is what Al Gore envisioned when he pushed for legislation to make the Internet public. A post-apocalyptic wasteland where the weak are DDOS’d and the strong do the DDOSing.

7. Mordsung says:

If only they’d use their powers for good.

• DuckSauce says:

With great power, comes great responsibility.
      I guess they don’t know Spiderman.

• Dozer says:

They don’t have any power, except DDoS. In what way can DDoS be used for good?

To take Rupert Murdoch’s websites off-line?

OK, I’ve answered my own question there.

• DrazharLn says:

They’re also competent at network intrusion which they could use to reveal scandals etc. DDoS is actually quite similar to occupations and protests in its results, I think.

It is rather a pity that they’re just attacking people for the fun of it now. I mean, they aren’t doing any long-term harm and they might make good DDoS protection more common, but it’s not very defensible.

Maybe the batman comments are right. LulzSec aren’t the heroes that web security needs but they’re what it deserves.

• Nethlem says:

@DrazharLn
      A few years ago the website of the german Lufthansa got put down by a DDoS because people protested against their involvement with the deportation of illegal immegrants.

People died on lufthansa flights because of the poor treatment they recieved by the lufthansa and german grenzschutz personal.

I don’t know what groups had been involved back then but the whole thing ended up before a court and the court ruled in favor of the parties that DDoS’ed the lufthansa webite. The court reasoned that the DDoS is similiar to an regular protest/demonstration as these can also shutdown business by blocking them.

Recently there had been another ruling, with the opposite result… at this point german courts believe that wheter a DDoS is an illegal hacking activity or not get’s decided by the intentions behind it.

8. Torgen says:

I really feel that the tone of this article is catering to their need for attention, especially screencapping their twitter feed.

• Teddy Leach says:

So… What, exactly? Should RPS just not report on it?

• Grygus says:

I don’t see how it’s newsworthy. You don’t see reports on TV when kids throw rocks through windows.

• Torgen says:

They’re a difference between reporting something, and acting as a conduit for their message.
      These people are NOT doing it “for the lulz.” They are doing it for the attention. Reposting their twitter feed in the article feels like RPS is endorsing their activity at the very least, feeding their need for attention, over the simple reporting of the attacks.

• noom says:

Personally I don’t think they should. These guys are out for attention, and this is attention. So yes, honestly I think RPS should just ignore it.

Edit: I do understand the incentive behind posting these type of stories, particularly if it’s alerting people to a potential risk to their personal information. I do genuinely believe it’s best not to give them the satisfaction of coverage where it can be helped though. Not my intention to attack the hivemind in any way. I wouldn’t want them launching some kind of psychic DDoS against my own weak brain after all.

• Teddy Leach says:

Yes, but surely Minecraft and EVE getting hacked IS relevant news for a PC gaming site? Also, it really does not feel like RPS is endorsing the hackers.

• Mistabashi says:

I sort of agree – while it is newsworthy, it’s that attention that these people obviously crave, so you could make a case for just pretending it didn’t happen.

These people (“hackers” or “script kiddies”, whatever you want to call them) are starting to get rather tedious, but making a big fuss about their actions isn’t going to make them go away.

• Alec Meer says:

Just the facts, ma’am. It’s the newsman’s job, not to mention that people playing Eve and Minecraft will want to know why they can’t play.

• Torgen says:

Alec, which could have been done without screencapping and pasting their twitter feed. You don’t see other news outlets posting the publicity statements of criminal and/or disruptive groups when reporting on their attacks.

• John Walker says:

Of course it’s news when you can’t play Minecraft or EVE!

• sinister agent says:

Mm, I am in agreement that giving attention-seeking people attention doesn’t help. A simple “minecraft and eve are down because of some childish egotists, watch this space” would do.

• AndrewC says:

*Good* news!

• Gnarf says:

Yes they do. That’s pretty ordinary.

• Kdansky says:

On the other hand, if you give them no attention, they might as well continue, hoping to get some eventually. So in the end, I’d rather know about it than not. Especially why they are doing it. More such attacks will at least raise public awareness.

• Torgen says:

Gnarf: I don’t read tabloids, perhaps it’s different in the UK. Also, I’m not talking about a one-sentence statement taken from the whole thing like you see in the little infobox next to the talking head on the news, what Alec did in this article was wholesale stenography. I’m sure some of the miscreants involved see this as validation: “Dude, they posted our twitter feed! That’s the tweet I made, right there!”
      I’m a RPS subscriber, not some random person taking a piss, but if something seems wrong I feel that I should mention it.

• Alec Meer says:

Well, it’s because I didn’t want to risk misreporting by paraphrasing, but I suppose the events tell themselves, so have taken the pic out.

• Joshua says:

@Grygus.

Those kdis are taking down some buildings with their rock throwing. You would get to see that on the news.

• Stephen Roberts says:

The article should be posted, but the comments disabled. How does that sound? Pretty quiet, I guess.

• wu wei says:

A DDoS is not a security hack, it’s simply a bandwidth issue. They’ve done nothing to highlight security holes in any of these servers, they’ve simply highlighted the cap on what they can/will spend for network costs.

Petty little bitches, basically.

9. Lukasz says:

heh. wonder who is next…

10. Nihilille says:

And the Rock, Paper & Shotgun evecorp was going to go out on a scheduled roam tonight :-/

11. SilverSilence says:

Why doesn’t Twitter close their account? I’m sure they’d get bored without all the attention they get,

• Redem says:

Imagine you’re in charge of security at Twitter… would you do anything to draw their attention to you?

• SilverSilence says:

They tried to hack facebook and failed, I’m sure Twitter could deal with these amateurs.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Twitter falls over when there’s a stiff breeze. Best not to anger those with actual DDoS capability.

• Outsider says:

Anger? They’re taking suggestions on who to attack next. It’s hardly a vendetta-driven targeting scheme.

• Ondrej says:

“Their servers are balanced like a refrigerator on a coke bottle on slope in hurricane winds.”

Someone should put an end to this, though. I friggin’ hate hackers.

12. CMaster says:

Wow, random gaming DDOS attacks.
    I guess there’s some amusement to be found in irritating players of said games, but it all seems kinda pointless and low on the “lulz” really. (I mean, actually compromising Bethesda yielded some interesting info I imagine. This just creates temporary hassle for somebody they don’t appear to give a shit about).

13. FelAdahn says:

Why does Twitter allow such a group to use their service?

• Pete says:

Twitter really, really don’t want to get into the position of taking down accounts which aren’t themselves abusive simply because people write in. Once they cave to that they get drowned in email from the Mary Whitehouses of the world, and it makes it much harder to argue that they shouldn’t take down wikileaks, Arab revolutionaries, and anyone else controvertial.

• Stephen Roberts says:

The medium is not at fault. If twitter were not the medium, another form of communication would be. Maybe 4chan or facebook or… fancyclientsoapchat? I don’t know, I don’t do the social interweb.

Maybe it’s running the point into the ground but it’s a bit like blaming the molecules in the air for being responsible when someone calls you an insult verbally. They aided in the sound getting to you. I know, air can’t block accounts and air can’t… set up terms of service (other than: no air, no noise) but… well it’s basically a problem I have where I keep typing way past when I should have stopped. Did you see that thunderstorm earlier last week it was properly apocalyptic ohogohgodshuttupshuttup

14. simoroth says:

Run-ins with hackers are good, strengthens the immune system. :)

15. Bobsy says:

Essentially:

Cunts.

• Bilbo says:

^

rarely has the term been more deserved

• rayne117 says:

And now they’re going to attack us.

Good job, cunt.

• Daniel Rivas says:

Yeah, well, your mum.

• Bilbo says:

Shut up Rayne, we don’t deprive ourselves of free expression just because some little shits threaten us.

• Daniel Rivas says:

Your mum too, Bilbo.

Everybody’s mum.

• Bilbo says:

Have at it, Daniel. Put a smile on her seventy-four year-old face :)

• Daniel Rivas says:

: )

Does “your mum” imply anything sexual? For me it’s always just been a generic shortening of calling your mum a nasty name, which then must always devolve into retort tennis:

“You’re a dick.”
      “Your mum’s a dick.”
      “Yeah, well, your mum.”
      “Your face.”
      “Your mum’s face.”

etc.

• sassy says:

You started on “You’re a dick.” and ended on “Your mum’s face.”. I think mah buddy Sigmund might debate you about it being nothing sexual.

• Bilbo says:

I guess it isn’t exclusively sexual, and equally, my mum isn’t really 74. I was just enjoying the back-and-forth for a minute there

• Daniel Rivas says:

Yeah well, so was your mum.

*hi-fives all round*

16. johnpeat says:

*draws a venn diagram which has 2 big circles – one marked “people who know how to subvert computer security systems”, the other marked “people who do not play games on computers” – then marks the rather tiny overlapping area with the word “people the world could easily do without”*

• Kdansky says:

I’m in favour of a single circle, labelled “Idiots the world doesn’t need.” Unfortunately, that’s a few billion.

• Salt says:

A venn diagram where one of the groups is defined as people not falling within a category? My mind is blown.

I’ll bet they do play computer games. Smashing up your own hangout is classic Angry Teenager behaviour.

17. Derpington Hurrrrrrr says:

But, why are they doing this? Besides the fact that is funny? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not laughing because I’m some evil dick that likes to see gaming sites go down, but I think people need a reminder of who actually owns their online multiplayer games. PSN hack was hilarious IMO. Oh, and Escapist is a shitbag site, taking that POS down is like doing a community service.

• Grygus says:

Yes, doing away completely with everything you don’t like will inevitably make the world a better place. We could extrapolate this to everyone else and simply take everything down! You’re a genius.

• Wednesday says:

You reek of entitlement.

• Stephen Roberts says:

Probably not the right time to point it out but The Escapist is an exceedingly ugly site. While I don’t think anyone should have this shit done to them, the internet may well have become prettier for a few seconds (before more squirrel-robot-foot-fetish porn cropped up like mushrooms in a time lapse sequence).

No but seriously, good vidjers (well Zero Punctuation and Extra Credits) shame about the stuff all around all the videos.

18. Chakawi says:

What a bunch of… I’m not even going there, I just hope I meet one of them on the street or in an office some day.

• McDan says:

Don’t be silly, this was done by the kind of people that don’t go outside, the sun would burn them if they did.

19. Bilbo says:

Yeah! Fight the power! …by fucking over an independent developer?

Useless pricks.

20. MCM says:

In response to all the, “Why Minecraft/EVE” questions, their earlier twitter feed indicating they were basically “taking requests” for DDOS targets.
    So apparently people called them and asked to hit these particular games. It’s sad that given the opportunity to DDOS anything, people requested they hit… video games.
    “Call into 614-LULZSEC and pick a target and we’ll obliterate it. Nobody wants to mess with The Lulz Cannon – take aim for us, twitter. #FIRE”

• AndrewC says:

Just as with the kids who smash up their local bus stop or phone box, it’s not the destruction that is the sad thing, but the cripppling lack of ambition as they lash out at what is closest, at what they know, and only end up making their own environment worse. All of this noise, all of this pain, and it’s just…computer games.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

But you get to the place
      Where the real slavedrivers live
      It’s walled off by the riot squad
      Aiming guns right at your head
      So you turn right around
      And play right into their hands
      And set your own neighbourhood
      Burning to the ground instead

Jello Biafra

• Calabi says:

Yeah, they always end up shitting in their own back yard.

• OctaneHugo says:

Tilley you bastard, I’m tired and want to go to bed and now I have to listen to that whole album.

21. Jumwa says:

This is unfortunate. I can’t see this sort of behaviour end well for internet users. I don’t mean the hackers themselves, just normal internet users. If recent history has shown us anything it’s that when someone acts out aggressively it’s normal, innocent people who pay the most, not necessarily by the initial acts themselves, but by the responses to them.

Tighter restrictions on all fronts and increased fees to come, I imagine.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Yup.

Stupid kids playing around and we’re all likely to suffer the consequences.

• Jumwa says:

For years now I’ve had this foreboding feeling that the halcyon days of a free and open internet were numbered. I figure with companies eager to monetize everything online and to regulate it all, it can only be a matter of time before things go a very structured and shabby route.

• Gorgol says:

I’m as much of a conspiracy theorist as the next guy, but I think you are over-reacting. The sites affected are not very important in the grand scheme of things and I doubt these events will be newsworthy outside IT related websites. To make drastic changes like the ones you envision would require manufacture of consent on an international level. A few gaming websites being taken down for a bit does not qualify at all.

• Jumwa says:

Score one for me for being called a conspiracy theorist, I guess. Don’t know where that came from.

But as many nations exercise control over the internet (such as South Korea forcing all users to do all online activities with a fixed identity, or China) and apparently have the ability to shut it down when they feel like (such as happened in Egypt) it doesn’t seem a stretch to me.

We have moves to control what people access online all over the place. I can’t run torrenting programs without my ISP throttling and/or shutting off our internet connection entirely. And I don’t mean illegal pirating downloads either, they crack down on the legitimate stuff just as much here. Updating WoW? Yeah, don’t be surprised if you get your internet throttled or shut down for a while.

And I didn’t even mention the move here to get rid of unlimited internet access and make us all pay by usage. That’s being pushed in my country by the cable/internet providers with a fair helping of their parliamentary friends, and I understand in some countries it’s already a reality.

So what about my worries is so conspiratorial? This stuff already exists, just in different places and to different degrees. Is it really a stretch to see the desire to monetize and regulate coalescing to restrict our uses of things?

• Gadriel says:

@Gorgol It’s not really about the important people caring about Minecraft or EVE. It’s about them being added to a long bullet-point list of sites that have been compromised recently with the stuff like Citibank and Sony up at the top. It adds up. We’re worried about a wave of highly-publicised attacks propagating a culture of fear in legislators.
      Also, individual countries can have dramatic impacts on the structure and operation of the open Internet. Especially when the country in question is the USA.

• Jumwa says:

Also, thanks Gadriel, forgot to point out how this isn’t exactly the first incident like this. It’s just the latest in an increasingly lengthy list.

Sony estimates they’ve lost hundreds of millions of dollars to their attack or more. Big corporations are being struck. The US government and their corporate allies involved in the Wiki-leaks scandal were involved, as well.

It’s hardly such a small thing.

• Gorgol says:

Jumwa,

Pointing at countries that already have heavy restrictions doesn’t lead to the conclusion that countries that don’t have these measures will use these attacks on gaming websites (oh please) as an excuse to implement those measures themsleves. Said restrictive countries implemented their measures independently of DDoS attacks on gaming websites, and probably independently of DDoS attacks period.

I do not deny that some government members and some large buisnesses want tight/er control over the internet for their own benefit and to the detriment of everyone else, but that’s got nothing to do with a DDoS attack on Minecraft or EvE!

Gadriel,

I do think that Sony and Citibank being griefed is something that might cause reactions we are wise to be concerned about, but not attacks on EvE and Minecraft, the reason being that I’d be surprised if the latter entities even register on the radars of the rich and powerful people that influence legislature.

EDIT: also, another reason I am not concerned about this is that at the moment it is quite usual for European governments to publicly voice the opinion that a free internet is a sign of a free democracy and that a restricted internet is the sign of a dictatorship. How sincere that is is very questionable, but it is encouraging imo.

• Jumwa says:

Thanks for acting dismissive again. As I’ve laid out, here in Canada we’re already facing restrictions and potentially more. Nothing I’ve said has been alarmist, or conspiratorial as you’ve accused me of. And you blowing this off as some minor DDoS attacks is just being silly. These latest attacks today, perhaps that’s all they are, but they are only a tiny sliver of what’s been going on lately.

And I shouldn’t think I need to say this, but it doesn’t matter if the attacks have anything to do with restricting or charging more to legitimate users. Powerful bodies will use whatever excuses they see to justify what they wish to do. And the excuse that “our security costs are rising due to the increasing hacker presence online” is really not going to sound odd. In the past decade numerous measures have been passed to spy upon and restrict normal people but were justified by absurd criminal activities that had nothing to do with it.

Not that that’s new to the past decade either, it’s just been more blatant.

Perhaps things are all fine and hunky dory in the EU, but we just got an entrenched neo-Conservative government who’s immediately set into lowering corporate taxes and passing stringent laws on restricting the rights of consumers. To say I have a fear that the internet will become more restricted in the future hardly seems unfounded when I sat down to my PC this morning to find the internet barely functioning because of further anti-torrenting measures.

• Gorgol says:

Jumwa,

you’ve just admitted that people put in restricitve measures independently of criminal activites. Thus these events are irrelevant to any measures that might get enacted in the future.

Your government is enacting restrictive measures on the internet, granted. But its got nothing to do with frikkin lulzsec…

Anyway, I’ve made my point.. Whether you accept it or not doesn’t concern me anymore.

• Jumwa says:

I stated in my second comment before you even came into the discussion that I’ve felt this has been a move that was coming for years. My point was that this would be adding fuel to that fire, and giving those motives further arguments to bolster their stance.

I don’t claim to know the future, I only started out by saying I was fearing this would create problems.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove by insulting me as a conspiracy theorist and being flippantly dismissive, if you had a point to argue you could at least engage civilly instead of engaging such tactics. It’s not conducive to serious discussion.

22. Axyl says:

10 minutes later and Minecraft is back up.

Regarding lulzsec…hmm…what’s the phrase?…

“U mad bro?”

<3 Minecraft, Notch and the Mighty Beard. :)

Now..if only we could talk Lulzsec into taking down WoW for 6 weeks..hehe

23. Nimic says:

I hope they all die horrible deaths.

And I don’t even like Eve. I like Minecraft, though.

24. _Jackalope_ says:

I kinda hope they all get genital warts. It’s the fact that these jerks will eventually end up getting cushy well paid jobs working at a security firm that really annoys me.

• jon_hill987 says:

I can’t see them getting any kind of sexually transmitted infection…

• Koozer says:

It’s only DDoSing. It’s literally about as involved as throwing a rock at the broad side of a barn. A lot.

• Chuffy says:

“I can’t see them getting any kind of sexually transmitted infection…”

Chronic wankers cramp

• rayne117 says:

“It’s only DDoSing.”

Didn’t know DDoSing let’s you steal CC info!

25. aldo_14 says:

These guys are just cocks, frankly.

26. Raziel_aXd says:

No, really, does this not spell some sort of conspiracy for anyone? After tens of big Internet sites are down, Big Cousin will finally propose some heavy Patriot Act-style restrictions so we can be “safer”.

27. Holybasil says:

I think we have a new definition of “having no life”.

28. TheJais says:

The Escapist is probably the most annoying website I know of, so taking that down is alright by me.
    The others, not so much.

29. Navagon says:

It’s about time someone hacked them.

With an axe.

30. sendmark says:

I hope they piss off the wrong person and get ‘pwned’.

• FelAdahn says:

They only went after the Login server for EVE and Minecraft, correct? Not true hacking then, one could guess.
      They have limited skills, for if they did not they might have already attacked Steam or WoW, two giants in the industry, but they have not. They are running out of punches to pull, no?

I also somehow put this into your comment. Wow, skillz.

• sinister agent says:

With any luck, all this attention will swell their egos to the point where they’ll think they can take on a monster like EA. Who would probably set fire to their families.

• FelAdahn says:

I think attacking EVE will have done that. The EVE community is.. uniquely interesting. I wouldn’t be suprised to see a few of the mega-corps doing something about this.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

@FelAdahn: Now that would be interesting to see.

• dadioflex says:

Hmm. Good point. After that interview a month or so ago with the Goonswarm leader this is eerily similar to how they play Eve’s meta-game. I assume the Goons aren’t really equipped for this kind of a fight.

• rayne117 says:

“They have limited skills,”

Stealing CC info from Sony is “limited skills”? Try to have a memory longer than a day.

• Robert says:

It’s the internet, there’s now way you can ever if it were the same groups, and who did what. DDoS’ing is not terribly skillful no.

Regardless, skill is not an issue. It’s a dick move, and people react to it with words and swearing. Calling them without skill goes beyond the fact if they actually do, it’s to express discontent, which can be justified.

31. Patrick says:

Are they even hacking these sites or just doing DDOS attacks? Seems petty and just uninspired. It’s like pushing someone over just because you can.

32. Outsider says:

So are all the lulzsec defenders “they’re raising awareness” folks from the last thread going to come in here and explain to us how this is all for the greater good?

• _Jackalope_ says:

THE GREATER GOOD.

• 0p8 says:

whether they mean it or not, when the dust has settled, this will STILL result in stronger security being put in place which will be of benefit to EVERYONE.
      ……………so yes, if it means a bit of interuption here and there, but the end result is better privacy protection, i think its worth it in the long run.

• Delusibeta says:

There’s also the high probability for the internet censorship laws that’s doing the rounds in governments being installed as a result of all this.

• Outsider says:

My last two examples of fun security measures were airport “let me fondle your kid’s genitals” security and DRM.
      Neither of those benefit you and I. They instead crush the enjoyment out of the things we need, or like to do.

Is there some reason that you think reactions to these attacks are going to be non-intrusive and beneficial to the average folks who just want to get on with our lives and have enjoyable hobbies?

• Text_Fish says:

No op8, it will result in rubbish companies like Norton rolling out more half-arsed “security” software to people who don’t know that it’s a huge waste of money and it will give more ammo to DRM-Yaysayers and rightwing commentators who want to lock the internet down, probably for their own proffit.

I’m sure Lulsuc feel very proud of themselves right now but as soon as “the real world” catches up with them they’ll be pissing themselves.

• 0p8 says:

i honestly think the result of this will just mean that these companies end up with better security, or at least in line with ppl like Google, Facebook or Microsoft, who i doubt will ever have to worry about this shit happeneing to them.

• Outsider says:

and rightwing commentators

The desire to heavily regulate the internet and its usage is not solely a “right wing” thing. I agree with your post, but this bit just struck me as rather narrow.

• timmyvos says:

@Jackalope Shut it!

• Gadriel says:

Those of us who have been genuinely fighting the good fight for digital freedom and privacy have been working to prove to biased regulators and uninformed legislators that the Internet can self-regulate. This Summer of the Hacks stuff is telling them that it can’t and needs governmental intervention. This is bad for the Internet.

Yes, some companies will feel compelled to tighten security, and they certainly already are, but if the Internet is a safe and welcoming place regulated by privacy-savvy users and their wallets/voluntary submission of information they theoretically already should have.

A security breach here and there can be written off as a single organisation’s failing, or a particularly clever hacker. Nothing is truly secure after all. However, a mass wave of breaches and attacks such as this suggests to people that the system is fundamentally flawed.

• Grygus says:

Op8, I wonder if you see the circular nature of your logic. Someone breaks in, so security gets better, which makes hacking the site more challenging, so it becomes more prestigious, so better hackers get in, so security gets better, which makes hacking the site more prestigious… it never ends, because there is no such thing as a completely secure network. If a computer is accessible, then it is hackable.

Besides, what is the “improved security” to prevent a distributed denial of service attack? I’m sure many CTOs would love to know.

• 0p8 says:

as far as the DDoS attacks go,you are right, but with regards to the previous hacks the situation isnt as hopless as your imagining

33. FriendlyFire says:

Somebody please make them attack 4chan. The fight of the titans would be most pleasing, and maybe Anonymous would actually do something good for once by fucking these cunts up.

• Teddy Leach says:

4chan are pretty awful, but they have done good in the past. It’s just that for every good action they do, they do 10 bad ones.

• westyfield says:

And the bad things they do are normally the most publicised.

• CMaster says:

4Chan gets DDOSed with extreme regularity. Often by its own users.

• Gadriel says:

All day, every day actually. To varying degrees. They’ve had to get quite good at rotating servers to maintain service.

34. shoptroll says:

If we ignore these guys and stop giving them free press / e-peen strokes will they go away?

(Not a dig at RPS, you guys are awesome, but these are trolls. The gaming press is just feeding them. It doesn’t matter if it’s newsworthy or not)

• bwion says:

Well, ignoring trolls never, ever works.

But eventually they’ll probably get distracted by something shiny. Or am I thinking of magpies?

• fuggles says:

I think you just have to put up with trolls until a goat comes along and headbutts them.

35. dethtoll says:

This is getting boring, can we arrest these guys now?

36. Raiyan 1.0 says:

LulzSec, your jokes were never funny and elongating them don’t help. The levity is in the brevity.

• McDan says:

Well said, this is just a bunch of idiots doing something because they can get away with it, it’s ridiculous.

37. mmalove says:

CCP has basically spent the past year ignoring the spaceships part of their game, to develop incarna (with microtransactions for dress up clothes), dust 514 (playstation only), and WOD (New IP). Meanwhile EVE is basically degrading into supercaps online where endgame survival depends on clumping together enough mega-ships to crash the server before any meaningful combat can take place.

So to be honest, giving them a day off, praised be lulz. They aren’t as evil as activision, but they’ve lost a lot of respect even with their own subscribers in the past year or two.

Notch: I dunno what he did to piss anyone off. Made a hella popular game near singlehandedly: my hero right up there with Toady (Dwarf Fortress!!) But judging from the 10 minute turnaround time to get back up and running, the KISS policy seemed to work for him :)

• Jason Lefkowitz says:

If you don’t like what they’re doing with EVE, then don’t play it. But preventing others who don’t mind the changes from playing it too is pretty lame.

• Hanban says:

Dust isn’t developed in-house. Space ships are still handled by space ship people who seemingly don’t work with people people. Or something to that effect.

What I know is that bringing up Dust in the argument is pointless because the company responsible for its development is in Shanghai. I.E not CCP Iceland.

38. ffordesoon says:

I don’t understand these jerks. In the past few days, they’ve hacked a bunch of different places, and they always seem to say that it’s “nothing personal” and that they “respect” the people whose networks they’re hacking.

To which I reply: couldn’t you guys show your appreciation by, you know, not hacking the sites of the people you claim to like? I’m all for “fighting the power”, but only when that’s actually what you’re doing.

39. westyfield says:

Oh, the lulz! I can hardly contain them, how they are pouring out of my monitor, spreading across my keyboard, off my desk and into my lap! The lulz will spill out onto the streets, an unstoppable, all-consuming wave of hilarity that threatens the very existence of boredom!
    LULZSEC STOP YOU ARE TOO FUNNY FOR YOUR OWN GOOD.
    END THIS JOCULARITY BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.

40. mkultra says:

Held within these comments is the largest group of angry adults amassed the internet has ever seen.

• sinister agent says:

Um… where? I see very little anger. Most people seem unimpressed and bored, to be honest.

• Outsider says:

Yeah, swing and a miss there, champ.

• The Great Wayne says:

Well, for people being unimpressed and bored, this thread crapped 4 pages pretty quickly. Just sayin’.

• Gorgol says:

Wayne, that’s only ‘cos this blog has a massive and comment happy following and RPS have not posted anything after this for a relatively long while.

• Fede says:

@The Great Wayne:
      Opinioning away helps killing boredom. The more bored RPS readers are, the more likely they will be to post. Maybe. :)

• Kaira- says:

Speaking of pages… am I the only one who has all the comments on a single page and the “page numbers” only work as anchors to different points of comment section?

• rayne117 says:

“and RPS have not posted anything after this for a relatively long while.”

Not hardly. It’s been like an hour or two.

• Gorgol says:

Since when does 6 hours equal an hour or 2?

41. mod the world says:

A lot of kindergardens will be raided by the police in the next days. But yeah those DDOS IRC-parties were fun in the wikileaks-wars. I bet these kids still use the same LOIC client.

42. Ondrej says:

Login details retained or compromised? I don’t know how/if these servers were somehow linked to the databases.

• Zorganist says:

I think these have just been DDoS attacks, which are much less hacking and more just breaking things. They just knocked the login servers out, they didn’t try to access any information.

• arccos says:

They probably tried and failed. I doubt they didn’t try.

43. NaturalDre says:

I bet they can’t take Microsoft down lol.

44. Gap Gen says:

I don’t really get why this is black hat and Anonymous is white hat. Anonymous do things for political or ideological reasons to effect change. These guys are just openly being massive dicks.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

LulzSec are asshats. Fnarr fnarr!

• Tei says:

humm? white hats are hackers on the defense, protecting the privacity and the integrity of servers, maybe doing a bit of analisys.

if you are attacking a website to revel the information of the users, or to stop the trafic, you are by definition a black hat. white hat or black hat has nothing to do with what you are attacking or defending. You can be white hat, and be defending the hitler servers. I think.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

Ah yes, the Hitler servers. The hidden engine of the Nazi regime.

• Torgen says:

*tons* of Hitler-worshipping, neo-nazi servers out there, actually.

• Gadriel says:

@Tei Correct. White hats only ever attempt to defeat security in order to find vulnerabilities to correct, they are ultimately on the side of securing information, regardless of who hires them or whatever. Black hats attempt to defeat security to do damage, for the lulz or for personal gain. It has nothing to do with political affiliation or any degree of objective morality.

• Tei says:

Alan Turing? a black hat tryiing to hack enigma.

This was posted before Gadriel post, now looks a bit weird.

• Temple says:

But then go and see their site where they attack people faking being whitehats, ie lie about their own credentials etc.
      Anyone stupid enough to go for them gets roughed up pretty well.

• Robert says:

Hackers are bad.

If you get hired by a company, you’d call yourself “(freelance) penetration specialist”.

• Teddy Leach says:

I am a freelance penetration specialist. Hur hur.

I am so sorry.

45. pupsikaso says:

Why the hell would they target CCP for?

46. JackShandy says:

Parasites. Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his website?

47. Dana says:

Take down this site: http://www.fsb.ru/

I dare, you. I double dare you motherfuckers !

• Torgen says:

“and Vladurday comes after?”

• Grape Flavor says:

Good old shot in the head + dropped in the river? Maybe they’ll get Polonium in their Mountain Dew? Putin personally delivers a Judo chop to the throat? The possibilities are endless!

48. SpakAttack says:

Twats

49. noodlecake says:

Sad. Pathetic. No Life. Losers.

50. Text_Fish says:

Hopefully somebody will find out which jizz-stink of a basement these failures hang out in and hack their tiny dicks off.