Mechin’ Bacon: Fresh Hawken Footage

By Jim Rossignol on June 14th, 2011 at 4:45 pm.

Via our exuberant American chums at G4, come some E3 leftovers in the form of Hawken footage, which I’ve cleverly reblogged below. Once again it’s looking seriously impressive, this time showing off a “Siege” game mode, where players have to gather resources to launch battleships against opposing bases. Only the battleships can destroy the enemy base, but they themselves are vulnerable to attack, too. The piece is presented Adhesive’s talented art lead, Khang Le.

, , .

1. Jonathan says:

I liked how nervous the dev looked whenever he was on camera. Bless.

Oh, also: This game is shaping up to be lovely. I’m eager to hear peoples’ hands-on previews though, because I’m curious about how it’s going to feel.

2. Wodge says:

All that jazz at the start with swish logos, the (blue) crowds cheering and the shiny ford are not very British.

3. Boozebeard says:

Isn’t thin game made in UDK?

4. jon_hill987 says:

I kind of expect Mechs to move like they have a bit more weight rather than like something out of Quake III.

• Boozebeard says:

I think when they do that weight less sprint they might be gliding on rocket boots or something. Not sure.

• Flobulon says:

Hard to judge having not seen the medium or heavy mechs (although I think the one in the original video was a bit weightier than this one).

• Synchrony says:

The mech in the video is the most manoeuvrable mech in the game, and when its dodging it is using jumpjets to do so, which have limited fuel. heavier mechs should be a lot slower and have less jet fuel. they are also much, much smaller than something like mechwarriors mechs so a bit more manoeuvrability would be expected

• MCM says:

@jon_hill987
      And you have that expectation due to your vast experience with mechs, I take it?
      C’mon people, this is like arguing whether zombies should be fast or slow.
      Anyway, in reality, plenty of huge “lumbering” things are deceptively fast and agile. Like alligators.

• Wulf says:

Same is true of dinosaurs, too. The most recent school of philosophy is even that the T-Rex was incredibly graceful despite its size, and given the reasoning behind it, it’s not hard to believe. (This is definitely something worth researching and I suggest anyone interested do so!)

I don’t see why some mechs can’t move the same way, considering that real world robotics are leaning toward organic, lithe mechs (see: BigDog) rather than the fantasy mechs of yore, it looks like the light mechs from this game are actually the most realistic and believable. To be honest, I think that anyone that believes that robotics involves something big and lumbering has absolutely no experience with robotics at all.

Me, on the other hand? I have friends in this particular are who love to yammer about it. And they do so love to yammer. That’s how I learned of BigDog myself. Really, the slow, lumbering tank-mech is closer to fantasy, to airships and magic, than the lithe, speedy, small mech is. A large tank-mech wouldn’t be practical, and given the physical laws, it may not even be probable unless we’re so advanced that we can defy some of those laws, and by that point the very need for a tank-mech would be pointless, anyway.

So, yeah, let’s not talk realism when talking about large, lumbering mechs, as they’re the most unrealistic of all.

• Zyrusticae says:

Wulf actually has the right of it, here.

The “expectation” that mechs be slow and lumbering is one seeded directly by games like the Mechwarrior series, and it’s not even remotely a realistic one. In fact, mechs in the first place hold little-to-no discernable advantage over tracked vehicles. They’re bigger targets, require more power for their mode of locomotion, are QUITE susceptible to falling over and not being able to get up properly, and really, their designs are often complete nonsense, built more for the “cool” factor than anything else (seriously, if you’re going to build a big-ass robot specifically for combat, you’re probably going to want to minimize the occurrence of flat surfaces as much as possible).

IF we ever see combat mechs, they’re going to be smaller, and they’re going to be built in lieu of tracked vehicles specifically for urban environments that require high mobility. In an open field, a mech is just a bigger target – a tracked vehicle can hold heavier weaponry, thicker armor plating, and still present a smaller profile to actually land a hit on. Simply because of gravity. Tough beast, that gravity. Always keeping a good mech down…

• Nallen says:

I liked the BigDog style support mechs in Battle:LA. They felt logical and plausible.

5. Pijama says:

Gather resources to launch BATTLESHIPS against my enemies?

Bloody hell, SOLD

6. Orija says:

Hating the girl.

• rayne117 says:

Somebody in here is a ninja/mindreader. Now I’m not pointing any fingers, because I can’t. This is a website, not a face to face meeting.

7. rayne117 says:

My guy Kevin here is a pretty good interviewer all in all. That girl though, she looks so out of place. Morgan Webb could at least hold her own.

• Dakia says:

Honestly, it seems like she is pretty much just there to be eye candy.

• Sleepymatt says:

At least she is doing a good job of that though :)

• notjasonlee says:

no. fuck her. no excuses. get out of here, you hussy.

• LionsPhil says:

Jesus, do you people have issues. She’s an interviewer, she interviewed a bit, she did her job fine. The American gigglyness is grating but she’s far from the worst case.

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Indeed she is far from the worst case. I think some of you out there are getting a bit of a creepy boys club kind of thing happening.

The interview was progressing fine without her and she pulled it together nicely at the end with the pointed “when can we get our hands on Hawken?” question.

C’mon guys. There are much more deserving targets of our scorn.

8. Boozebeard says:

I really hate all these American videogame TV types. They are far too happy and far too ignorant of the subject.

9. jonfitt says:

“Because who would want to take the time to configure things on a mech like heat sinks hahahahahaha!”

:’(

SquidgyB says:

/a hand on the shoulder, head held down

sasayan says:

Heat sinks placed in the legs are more effective when standing in water.

• xfxian says:

No lulz… just sads.

• Kazang says:

There are already games that offer that kind of slower gameplay for those that want it. There is no need for a mech game that is just a copy and paste of battletech or mechwarrior.

HermitUK says:

I do rather like the sound of this objective game mode.

• LionsPhil says:

I can’t think of anything that’s quite done the “gather resources to spawn a thing to escort to the enemy base to blow it up” gametype outside of an RTS. The closest touchstones are Monday Night Combat’s Jackbots (a pretty lousy game overall), and BF2142 Titan mode (not quite the same since the Titans spawn at the start).

11. Aesop says:

Khang is a severely talented artist. Still don’t know if the game has enough meat to match.

tomeoftom says:

How is it sooooooo prettyyyyyyy

13. Yosharian says:

Man, this is looking more and more awesome. Fuck consoleizing the godamn controls, though.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, you kind of want to punch the guy in his gel-spiked face for his “you want to see this on 360 so don’t use too many buttons, right” comment.

14. squareking says:

Losing faith in Hawken over time as they keep mentioning Halo and a casual experience, but I’m so distracted by the pretty.

• LionsPhil says:

But he also mentioned Duke Nukem, and seemed to mean the good 3D one!

15. Tei says:

This game sounds too good to be true. But is true. My brain can’t process it.

16. Comrade Communist says:

Looks interesting, but… I don’t want this! I want MechWarrior! WHERE IS MY MECHWARRIOR!??

sasayan says:

One of the players is name “MechBeth”. I hope her name is actually Beth, that would make it even better.

18. Ganj says:

Hopefully the hype surrounding this, (which is making it sound a little too lightweight in the tinkering with your mech department for my tastes – not that it isn’t a day 1 for me still) will encourage a reboot of MW2: Mercs!

19. Thants says:

The graphics look very nice, but I’m not sure what the world needs is another simple multiplayer FPS. The ones that already exist have a hard time holding on to a player-base.

20. Brendy_C says:

“How many people are working on this?”
    “Six people. Oh, and three interns.”
    “Haha, well they don’t count.”

He is upsetting my delicate lefty sensibilities. Grrrr, G4 guy. Grrr.

Hawken is still looking GORGEOUS though.

21. Squishpoke says:

“Flak Cannon”

I do approve of the nod towards Unreal Tournament.

22. Leaderz0rz says:

take all my money

23. metalangel says:

It reminds me very much of my favourite original Xbox game, Phantom Crash.

24. Iskariot says:

I love the beautiful post apocalyptic environments. What engine is it? Unreal Engine?
    Disappointing that it is Multi Player only. I’m not interested in MP at all.
    I also distrust the term ‘casual’. Somehow I associate it with superficial, shallow.

25. 123 says: