Bros No He Didn’t: SMB3 V2.0 Is Coming

By Quintin Smith on June 15th, 2011 at 9:54 am.

PC games need fonts like that

RPS hasn’t posted about the fan remake of Super Mario Bros. 3 before, and I’m not sure whether that’s because of this project’s hazy legality or simply because that particular moustachioed protagonist has a way of seeming like the antithesis of the PC. Well, shucks. I’m posting about it now. In a roundabout way, this is the kind of project that makes the PC great.

If there can be such a thing, Super Mario Bros. 3 is considered the classiest of Mario games; a kind of connoisseur’s choice. As such, Nintendo fans have been saying for years that it should be ported to the DS, DSi or 3DS (it having been already ported to the GBA and the Wii’s Virtual Console). One such fan by the handle SKJmin has, however, taken a more proactive step.

Back in November of last year SKJmin released his labour of love- a downloadable patch for the New Super Mario Bros. Nintendo DS rom that turned the game into a painstaking recreation of Super Mario Bros. 3, saddling the old classic in the new game’s modern engine. So long as you own a New Super Mario Bros. cartridge then you are, apparently, within your rights to download SKJmin’s work, acquire a rom of New Super Mario Bros., get yourself an emulator and have a good time.

The reason I’m posting about this today is that I’ve just heard via Joystiq that tomorrow SKJmin will be released version 2.0 of the rom, making it even prettier. Cue the trailers!

Here’s the trailer for his original update, v1.0.

…and here’s the trailer for the update.

Presumably if we have any hardcore Super Mario 3 fans in the audience, they’ve already played this. And if so: impressions?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. inertia says:

Stop bromoting console stuff.

• Mr Rud says:

stop being an illiterate PC-Elitist

• bigtoeohno says:

ooga booga

• godgoo says:

stop. hammer time!

• rareh says:

I don’t really think this should be promoted as well, since this is situated in the grey area of law.

• Raniz says:

You won’t be able to play this on your DS unless you can play roms on it, which means that most people will probably enjoy it on their PC with an emulator.

That doesn’t really classify it as a PC game, but I wouldn’t classify it as a DS game either since it’s not available on a cartridge, nor via the DS store.

• zeroskill says:

You tell the RPS staff what they are allowed to do, you tell them, boy.

• Ian says:

I thought inertia just said that so he could use the ‘bro-’ pun, but I could be wrong.

• Baka says:

This could have been very pun-inducing indeed, if it weren’t for Mr. Rude.

• Koozer says:

Super Mario World for ever!

EDIT: also, reply fail.

• westyfield says:

Yeah, pretty sure it was meant to be a pun.

• povu says:

Well it’s already out, there’s no way Nintendo could get the ROM hack down now so reporting about it here doesn’t make a difference. :D

RIP Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes, BTW.

• Zelius says:

@povu

I’m pretty sure the final version of Crimson Echoes was released not long ago. There are actually two versions, made by two different teams. The other one is called Flames of Eternity.

• Trillby says:

Bromotion is the logical conclusion to a bromance…

• fearghaill says:

Stop! Collaborate and listen.

• Bloodloss says:

My first replay fail. I’m proud.

• ScubaMonster says:

@rareh: this isn’t the first time RPS has posted about fan games.

2. 8-bit says:

super mario world was better.

• TheApologist says:

No it wasn’t.

• Sunjammer says:

Yes it was

• TheApologist says:

No it wasn’t

• Jumwa says:

I’ll agree, actually.

Even though I started back with the first game on the NES and remember waiting gleefully for Mario 3 with the raccoon tail Mario on the cover, Super Mario World sticks out in my mind as the better title. But it’s such a tight competition, and a comparison between two amazingly awesome games that it’s just being picky for the sake of a bit of discussion, I think.

• godgoo says:

super shmario shmeld shmore wash shway bettershhh. boo!

• 8-bit says:

@godgoo

dude its like ten in the morning and you are drinking already?

my hero.

• godgoo says:

noooooooooweee! drinkings AND workin in tha schhool. brownout.

• The Sombrero Kid says:

People who think SMB4 was better than 3 always played 4 first & so are worried they’ll be found out that they didn’t play 3 when it came out & so get really defensive about LOVING 4, they’re always the same people who say empire strikes back is the best star wars film – it’s ok to admit that the high production quality of Return of the Jedi made it a better film ;) …

… imo :P

• Jumwa says:

Or maybe it’s because Super Mario World was the later title and the developers therefore were able to take what they learned before and add to it? Make it more? Better?

Just like Empire Strikes Back. : )

• Unaco says:

I think you’ll all find that “Sonic the Hedgehog 2″ was better.

• JohnH says:

I started out with Donkey Kong Game&Watch, then the original Mario Bros and I played through all of Super Mario 1, 2, 3 and so on as they were released. I have to agree, Super Mario World is my favourite with Super Mario 3 as a close second.

• Mad Hamish says:

I think SMB3 clinches it for it’s tighter controls. Everything about the way Mario moves in that game is pure joy. SMW I think is a close second. Which one had better levels? I’d put them at about equal.

• Carda39 says:

@Unaco

You’re joking, right? Sonic 3 & Knuckles was clearly superior to Sonic 2.

• Gnoupi says:

“Can we just agree that we disagree?”
      “Agreed!”

• Pani says:

@Carda39 now you’re joking. No way was sonic 3 better than 2. 2 was a wonderful game.

And back on topic, never played Mario 3 but I loved loved loved World. Cant imagine I could enjoy 3 as much.

• Bloodloss says:

@Jumwa Or, perhaps, just like The Phantom Menace? :)

I much preferred Super Mario Bros 3. Such an amazing game.

• Sardaukar says:

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island was the best.

Hands down.

• Zwebbie says:

Paper Mario 2 was the best, surely.

• Carda39 says:

@Pani

I never said Sonic 2 was a bad game. Just that S3&K was better.

3. MrThingy says:

“Chaos Engine” theme tune in the second trailer. :D

(cue droning monologue about “golden age” of gaming, etc. etc.)

• Jubaal says:

Ah thanks for that, I knew I recognised it and couldn’t think where from. Great tune and great game (Chaos Engine that is)!

• godgoo says:

Special power!

EDIT: edited due to memory lapse!

• MrThingy says:

* Node Activated! *

4. ulix says:

Nintendo usually goes easy on taking inspiration from their character’s and games. You can basically do with them what you want without fearing a C&D-letter…

Unless its a remake of course, a remake I might add of a game they still sell (and which I bought a second time) on Virtual Console.

• jon_hill987 says:

Pokédroid (a Pokédex app for Android) got a C&D from them. A week later Pokdex3D is in the new 3DS store (and not as good because, despite the nice 3D models it only covers Black/White).

• Jumwa says:

It’s not really surprising to see a game company not wish to have a direct competitor to their product using their IP, I suppose. Though a shame, none the less, to see any fan project put to a stop.

• jon_hill987 says:

Wait, I forgot the really stupid part!
      Both Pokedroid and Pokedex3D are/were both free on their respective stores!

• ulix says:

Fair enough. But if they have a product in the pipeline that is more or less the same as the fan-made thing, its only natural to C&D them.
      However, there are tons of Super Mario games on the web, using the original art-assets, the same gameplay, they just add new levels. Somwhat like Super Mario Bros 2 (the real one, known here as “Lost Levels”).
      Same goes for all kinds of fan-homages to Nintendo games, like Legend of Princess by Konjak, etc. etc.

Whereas Square Enix (for example) C&D the hell out of people for even slight resemblances… A shame, really.

5. jymkata says:

Maybe this would be cool if there was a pc port or something?
    But maybe that would suck too, playing mario on a keyboard.

• bigtoeohno says:

You can download an emulator and platform away on your pc. Legal providing you own the game on its intended device.

EDIT: sounded rude

• rareh says:

You can play with controllers and joysticks on the pc.

• mashakos says:

you can stop being a newb

• Teddy Leach says:

You did not just use that word. YOU DID NOT JUST USE THAT WORD.

• Zelius says:

Yeah. Everyone knows it’s spelt “noob”.

• Starky says:

No, I’ll think you will find a newb and a noob are not the same thing at all.

A newb is just someone who is new to something, inexperienced and probably not very good.

A noob is someone who is really bad at something (as bas as a beginner) no matter how long/experienced they are at it. They also often like to insult others and act like they know what is going on despite the fact that they are shit at the game.

• BeamSplashX says:

And all this time I thought Nubians were just stereotyped as poor gamers.

6. Heliocentric says:

Wow that extra stuff looks irritating.
    At least the core game wont be too hard.

7. Bullfrog says:

Am I the only one wondering why? Recently played SM3 & SMW again, on both SNES (which now needs a chisel wedged in it to work properly) and PC emulator, I really don’t see the point of remaking them with slightly shinier graphics. If the game remains the same why not just stick to the (still perfectly enjoyable) original?

• Mad Hamish says:

Yeah the New Super Mario Bros. engine runs differently so it just doesn’t look right and I’d say it doesn’t feel right either. For mario 3 anyway. The new mario games are still great. Remakes of old platformers are only worth it if the mechanics are identical. If movement is a tiny fraction slower or the jumps hang for a milli second longer, you notice it and it bugs you.

8. CaspianRoach says:

Who cares about Mario anyway?

9. SpaceAkers says:

Mario games are sweet.

10. Will Tomas says:

“So long as you own a New Super Mario Bros. cartridge then you are, apparently, within your rights to download SKJmin’s work, acquire a rom of New Super Mario Bros., get yourself an emulator and have a good time.”

I’m not saying don’t do it, because I don’t have any moral qualms about this, but from a legal point of you, you aren’t within your rights to do that, certainly in the UK. It’s still illegal to copy a CD to your computer, or to your iPod. The same goes for cartridges and ROMs. They’re illegal, even if you own the cartridge, unless you bought it as a digital ROM from Nintendo. As Nintendo don’t do that, having the NSMB ROM is illegal.

Now, will that be enforced? Probably not. Is it a great and serious crime? No. But sadly it’s not “within your rights.”

11. JohnnyMaverik says:

Yea super mario world was better. Still good effort.

12. andrewdoull says:

There’s a strong indie tradition of Super Mario Bros remixes. Notch wrote Infinite Mario Bros which is now used for AI and procedural generation research by a number of academics, and Andrew Spinks (developer of Terraria) also wrote Super Mario Bros X.
    On the other hand, maybe it just creates a weird fascination with bashing in blocks…

• Dominic White says:

On that note, and an effort to make this thread more PC-oriented (I’m the guy folks get angry at for NOT being mad at consoles all the time, and I still don’t know why this got an article… I mean, a DS rom hack? Cool, I suppose, but really, not PC in the slightest), rather than lament Nintendo dropping the banhammer on Super Mario Bros X, I went and assembled this pack for you all:

Super Mario Bros X, final version,with all the extra episodes and a whole pile of community-made ones. There’s about a dozen full Mario games worth of content right there, and a level editor with several included sprite-packs. Enjoy!

• andrewdoull says:

Thanks, Dominic. Any chance of a torrent?

• Icarus says:

Thanks, Dominic. Grabbing that now.

• Dominic White says:

There’s about 8 mirrors there. A torrent really isn’t needed. Megaupload gives me speeds around 1MB/s, so you should have it in minutes.

13. Mordsung says:

People still play Japanese games?

14. Koozer says:

RPS console sister site please. I don’t mind if it’s a bit thin.

15. Urthman says:

RPS hasn’t posted about the fan remake of Super Mario Bros. 3 before

What? The fan remake? Can you really be unaware that there are dozens, maybe scores of these? That’s like the 2nd most popular game to remake after asteroids. Here’s a few of the better ones:

16. Baines says:

Since nearly every comment is instead about console news on a PC site, the legalities of rom hacks, whether SMB3 or SMW is better, or alternative Mario related games, I’ll say something else…

Yes, it certainly looks like a rom hack. It has two of the big rom hack design staples. First, it remakes existing games in a different engine. Second, the new material is challenge oriented. New material in rom hacks is hardly ever about a comparable fair challenge, but rather more like “It is at least theoretically possible”. Massive amounts of wall jumping, instant death traps, sections requiring stage memorization, and sections built around having to speed run them with time for few if any mistakes.