Crysis 2 Pulled From Steam?

By Alec Meer on June 15th, 2011 at 11:01 am.

METAPHOR

“Where were you when the war began, Daddy?”
“Well, little Ignatius H. Meer III, I was at my PC, staring vacantly at Twitter. Probably eating some crisps as I did. I’ll never forget that dark, terrible day. The day that EA decided they could fight Steam.”
“Daddy? Why are you crying, Daddy?”

Crysis 2 has disappeared from Steam, and is now described as being “Origin only.” Origin is, you may recall, EA’s newly-relaunched download store. Uh-oh.

This week’s Alice: Madness Returns, meanwhile, is marked as listed as “ONLY AVAILABLE ON ORIGIN UNTIL JUNE 17TH”. This implies it will turn up on other services after that time, but may simply be referring to the retail release – the game is not listed on Steam at all as yet.

EA appears to be remaining tight-lipped on the matter for now, although matters become confusing in that you can still nab Crysis 2 from other store such as Direct2Drive, while the likes of Dragon Age II and Bulletstorm are still to be found on Valve’s service.

Everyone’s speculating that this may mean EA is determinedly resisting Valve’s infamously successful cornering of the download market, as it attempts (again) to make its own service something of a go-to store. Battlefield 3 will likely be the proof of that particular pudding – it’s EA’s biggest PC game in yonks, but is it so big that only being able to download it from one place won’t hurt it? You can pre-order Battlefield 3 from Origin already, but it’s not to be found anywhere on Steam. Then again, it doesn’t launch until Autumn anyway, so anything could happen in the months to come. Whatever’s happening, olde worlde retail releases appear to be proceeding as planned.

It’s all speculation and rumour for now, of course. We’ve contacted EA to try and work out what’s going on, and have been told a statement should be forthcoming later today. We’ll let you know as soon as we have more.

If this is what everyone’s thinking it is, what happens now? There aren’t many games that could support this kind of exclusivity, but perhaps Battlefield 3 and SWTOR are big enough to get away with it. OR ARE THEY?

, , , .

1. Mark says:

If EA make BF3 only available digitally on their store (i.e., not availble retail) then I will not buy it. It will be too expensive.

• Tomm says:

It’s definitely being released retail.

• BadHat says:

It’ll definitely be sold at retail (see the recent weapon pack debacle for confirmation of that :P), but I’m pretty sure EA stated that it would only be sold digitally on Origin. So no Steam, D2D, Impulse etc.

• john_silence says:

Or – the digital exclusivity concerns preorders only, and upon release all EA games will be available on Steam, Gamersgate etc. That’s what the phrasing suggests for Alice at least.
      Surely it wouldn’t quite be realistic of them to bid they could yank the entire PC userbase away from Steam for their most important launch of the year? Only part of the hardcore preorderers will accept that.

• President Weasel says:

I find that quite annoying; I had intended to preorder BF3 on Steam. I don’t fancy signing up to a single-publisher Steam clone and hoping the system’s still running in a year, even if the publisher is one of the largest.

• Valvarexart says:

If this game does not “activate” with Origin I shall pre-order it at Gamestop or something. If it does, I shall not purchase it at all.

• Premium User Badge PoulWrist says:

In mainland europe the EA store has proper prices, not like Steam’s 30% higher prices.

• MrMud says:

Are those prices adjusted for VAT?
      Because with a 25% VAT those steam prices seem slightly less crazy.

• BadHat says:

Correction on my earlier post – BF3 is actually available for pre-order on Direct 2 Drive, at least. Guess I got some bad infos.

@PoulWrist – In New Zealand and the Origin prices are jacked up like certain games on Steam. :(

• Gnoupi says:

@PoulWrist – in France the EA store had prices which were even more than the dollar price. And I’m talking basic figures, without even mentioning the conversion fact. Something like 40 dollars = 50 euros.

Also, we are talking about a publisher who was making it a “paid service” to be able to redownload your games for the next two years when they first introduced their store (this madness hopefully changed since then). So I can understand why people are less than enthusiastic about it.

That said, I can understand why EA want to make their own offer, because Steam is currently in a quite dominant situation. A company like EA has the power to make their own, good offer, to not have to deal with Valve.
      And if they do it good, with reasonable prices (and not just the original retail price for the next 3 years), it can’t be a bad thing for gamers.

• cmi says:

@PoulWrist: EA store Germany has the same silly prices as Steam has. So still a no go for me.

• HeavyStorm says:

Same here. Not on steam, no deal.

2. Groove says:

Why must they make it harder for me to give them money?

WHYYYYYYYYYY.

• MichaelPalin says:

Because they think they can make you give them more money later on.

• CaspianRoach says:

Valve takes a nice chunk of money from every sale so it’s the matter of getting all the money to themselves for EA instead of sharing it with some non-affiliated company.

• Groove says:

I understand your words, but it’s less EA’s long term economic wellfare that I’m concerned about, and more the ‘installing more unnecassary shit on my PC’ angle.

It obviously generates them +1 money hats, but it inconveniences ME.

• Kadayi says:

@CaspianRoach

The flaw in their thinking is that it’s actually a lot cheaper to buy any of their Origin titles via retail (thus giving the retailer that cut which Steam would of gotten) so there is no real advantage for EA unless they dramatically change their own pricing approach to match retail.

Allce madness returns is £35 on their store, yet http://www.play.com are selling it for £30

Madness indeed.

• Tomm says:

You think that’s bad, BF3 on their UK store is £40 and you don’t get the Physical Warfare Bundle, whereas at Game and Gamestation you do for £30. Mad.

• Andrei Sebastian says:

EA marketing fail

• subedii says:

Crysis 2 was actually cheaper on Steam than it is on Origin. Which is freaking bizarre because BOTH prices would’ve been set by EA.

Now way I’m buying from the EA store at those prices.

The irony is that EA’s removing the game from Steam may force me to do something I haven’t done in ages: Buy a physical copy of the game.

• Tatourmi says:

I don’t think the real problem is here.

What really fucks the service for me is EA itself. You are not forbidden to be a money grinder in our days, but at least try to be productive being that.

Valve proved, in my opinion, that it could make good and original games with a real impact and focus on PC gaming. EA? Not so much. My monies are for steam, and I don’t care about monopolies the least bit as long as they do not create something I am opposed to morally. And this is, for the moment, not the case. (Oh, and this is not even a true monopoly for the moment, so well…)

• mouton says:

@Groove
      Everyone quickly forgot that Steam is just as unnecessary in terms of running the games themselves.

• Tyshalle says:

From what I’ve heard, Steam charges less to sell through them than B&M retailers do. So they’re doubly shooting themselves in the foot.

@mouton – Unnecessary? Maybe. But that’s kind of like saying that Facebook is unnecessary for keeping in touch with your friends. It’s completely true, but it glosses over the fact that Steam makes shit a whole lot easier. Not only does it give you one nice area to keep a list of all of your games, including the ones you don’t currently have installed on your computer, but it auto-updates them for you, and let’s you install the games on any computer you might have without having to worry about lugging around CD’s.

Steam has also introduced me to several dozen indie titles that I never would have heard of (or purchased) otherwise, and from what I’ve heard Steam has made it possible for indie developers to actually become well known and make a decent amount of money.

So yes, Steam is definitely unnecessary to playing games. However, it offers a lot of services that make it very convenient to use, which a lot of people like getting the benefits of.

• ResonanceCascade says:

With a couple exceptions, I’d rather just not play most EA games than have to fuss with another gaming client/service.

Why do these companies all think they need a chunk of every single pie? They had a good thing going with Steam, and now they’ve shot themselves in the foot just because they feel the need to compete in every arena. At this point, why doesn’t EA just release a console and make their games exclusive to that, too. AWESOME IDEA DERP.

• Kaira- says:

“Why do these companies all think they need a chunk of every single pie?”

Well, I’d see their reasons as such: if they let Steam become the only DD-service, Valve can happily demand a bigger cut from games sold through Steam, which will undoubetly make publishers not happy.

• ResonanceCascade says:

@ Kaira

Sure, though I think there are better ways to approach that problem. Because there’s a good chance that they’re going to be getting a larger cut of the 0 games I’m going to buy from them if I can’t get them on Steam. Hopefully they don’t start pulling all their games from Steam, but I bet they will.

It constantly amazes me how poorly companies like EA and Microsoft handle the PC platform, even though there are shining examples of companies that do it right and make buckets full of cash. They just don’t get it.

• Kantorai says:

Bloatware clients like Steam or Orgin are unwanted, agreed. But I like games and I want the people who make them to have food on their tables. What to do? I could buy the games in an online store and instead of downloading through their client get the games from the nearest buccaneer’s cove. But, then I have paid the publisher extra for a “service” I’ll never use. Profit for them. :(

3. Davee says:

For crying out loud, will I have to install and set up yet another downloading service/social networking program and share my credit card details to it (unless PayPal is an option)? I’ll stick with Steam for now, thank you.

• alice says:

Paypal is an option.

• GoldenPants says:

EA takes paypal? Didn’t expect that.

Not sure why, just doesn’t seem like something they would do.

• crainey92 says:

I’m going to have to agree with this, EA seems like a soulless giant that cares not for customer satisfaction and therefore comes across as a non-Paypal platform.

• YourMessageHere says:

You what? Paypal is a prime example of a soulless giant that cares not for customer satisfaction. Nothing good about it that I’ve ever found.

• Premium User Badge VelvetFistIronGlove says:

> I’m going to have to agree with this, EA seems like a soulless giant that cares not for customer satisfaction

Just like PayPal then—they’ll get on together like a house on fire.

4. Chalky says:

I guess now we’ll see if the best way to fight piracy is to prevent people from easily obtaining your game from the vendor of their choice!

I’m all for competition, but this is so damn abusive I hope Origin crashes and burns. I’m damned if I’m going to have 4 or 5 distribution services running on my system, I’ll make my choice based on quality of service not because there’s a gun held to my head.

• phosgene says:

This.

Steam takes up enough resources as it is. I’d like to not have to close one service and open another every time I want to play a different game.

• Suva says:

Also it might happen that the Origin crashes and burns eventually, rendering the games you bought there inaccessible… As far as this thing goes, I would put my trust on steam, not EA.

• Tomm says:

Steam uses less memory than a lot of my Chrome tabs and Spotify but I don’t think twice about leaving them open while playing games.

• alice says:

FWIW: Current resource usage of both Steam and Origin clients from Windows Task Manager. Windows 7 x64, both minimized.

Origin: ~69,000K RAM, two client processes
      Steam: ~19,500K RAm, one client process

This is reverse of what I expected, seeing how I am signed into chat in Steam with multiple people on my friends list, whereas in Origin I have no friends. Then again, Firefox is taking up 500,000+K so these are both negligible.

• alh_p says:

Why is this so abusive by EA? (assuming it does turn out as the hivemind’s wildest nightmares)

Didn’t Valve kick start steam in a similar way? or maybe they diverted traditional retail customers with more positive (debatably) means, e.g. carrots like lower prices, early pre-order and freebees?

How is ti that people seem unconcerned about the megalith that is Steam? Granted it’s convenient to have a lot of one’s games in one place but it does make it a big target and it’s never good for there to be only one real provider in a market -even if that almost seems normal in the industry of google and microsoft.

It is annoying though! If I were fussed about B3 or somesuch I’d put up with Origin as long as long as it’s less annoying than GFWL

• MrMud says:

Its not abusive at all. But it may mean that I wont buy it. I have very little interest in installing another download store. And buying from a brick and mortar store? Thats preposterous.

• Chalky says:

Valve kick started steam by taking Half Life 2 off the shelves of retailers that had previously been able to sell it? Or am I misunderstanding what you are trying to say?

• studenteternal says:

It is only competition if you can get the same game from multiple download vendors, and I am all for that. If EA prevents other DD companies from selling their titles then this is NOT competition and instead is Vendor Lock, which I very strongly disapprove of.

Like many people here, I will not be buying anything from Origin, and if that means no Battlefield 3 for me, so be it.

• Tyshalle says:

I completely agree. EA has a right to do whatever the hell they want with their games. And competition is fine. I don’t think too many people are arguing that competition is the problem here. The core of the issue here seems to be that there are a lot of gamers out there (like me) that only use DD to buy their games, but they don’t want to be forced to have multiple DD programs running on their computer in order to play a game. I haven’t purchased a PC game from a B&M store in years, just because I prefer the convenience of services like Steam. That said, as much as I’m looking forward to BF3, if it’s not available on Steam, EA will not be getting my money. Why? It’s not because I’m against competition. It’s because Steam has earned my business, has been good to me, and hasn’t pulled any sleazy shit like EA seems to routinely do just to make an extra buck. And it’s because I just don’t want to have multiple download programs on my computer, unless I choose to. But I shouldn’t be forced to choose to because EA wants to prevent me from playing their games unless I buy it directly from them.

• Chalky says:

The thing is, if EA provide a better service with Origin than I get with Steam, then I’ll be more than happy to consider moving. That’s how the market works, you improve your product in order to steal market share from competitors, which forces them to improve their product. In the end, the consumer is the winner.

EA intentionally removing games from it’s competitors in order to force people to adopt it’s service without providing any benefits is abusive. It’s fine if EA ship their games with an inbuilt competitor to steamworks, but when it comes to handing over money, I want choice. I don’t want to be pushed around and forced into things by big companies.

• PaulMorel says:

@Chalky: Exactly.

If’ Origin is better than, or even comparable to Steam, then there’s no need for this. They can have their games on every service, and theirs will be competitive in the marketplace. It would be great for PC-gamers to have a service that truly competed with Steam (ignoring the consoles for the moment).

But will it be better than Steam? No. It will be a money-grab, like most EA titles. So this is just a strong-arm tactic to try to get us to use their inferior product.

I might still download Origin if I really want to play a Bioware title … but I doubt I will buy anything else via the system. I certainly won’t buy something from them just because it is cheap, as I do on Steam.

• Juan Carlo says:

I can see Origin becoming like Blizzard (provided that KOTOR MMO takes off), but I can never see them becoming competitive with Valve as a distributor of any other games besides EA games.

Valve, despite having a near monopoly on digital game sales, is also still technically an independent company. Heck, they rely on EA to distribute physical copies of their games for most platforms. So I don’t see any of the other big distributors (activision, etc) jumping on the Origin bandwagon as they really would have no incentive to.

Worst case scenario, every company and its mom starts up their own digitsal distribution system–which would really suck as not only would this mean that there would be no competition, but also it would mean that you’ have to remember 8,000 different passwords just to play your games.

• Duke of Chutney says:

@ chalky

from memory steam was kick started by valve making to compulsory DRM for their games. HL2 needed steam activation to work.

5. Premium User Badge Darkelp says:

My main issue with this is EA’s idea of a sale is making their games all £15 instead of the £40 they charge normally.
    Until they have sale’s that rival the type of sale’s on other download services, I’m not sure they’ll get far.

6. Dirtyboy says:

Alice 2 is available to buy now on Games for Windows Marketplace and Direct2drive.

7. BooleanBob says:

Well, EA aren’t obliged to offer their games on Steam, after all. Or anywhere else, for that matter, even boxed retail. If they’re making a big play to claw back Valve’s cut from their games, they’re free to do so.

I can’t see it winning them an awful lot of fans, because if nothing else, it’s one more set of account details to keep track of. Not the end of the world by any means, but friction enough to put a lot of people off from the start?

One thing we can definitely expect to see is a lot more of EA holding back certain features or content from their games in order to get people to buy directly from them. ActiBlizz and the other big pubs will wait and see, and follow suit if it seems to work.

• Tomm says:

Considering all the furore around the BF3 map packs, there’s nothing stopping them from only selling the DLC via Origin.

• BooleanBob says:

I’m pretty sure this will be the case, yes. But beyond DLC, they conceivably might be tempted to play hard(er) ball and put out cut-down versions of their game out on lesser-approved distribution channels.

• Tomm says:

Hopefully nothing as bad as the Resi 5 Multiplayer debacle. *shudder*

Edit:Oh it appears they’re already offering different incentives to buy from Origin. The price not being one of them.

I’ll be getting it retail I think.

8. Premium User Badge Schaulustiger says:

- EDIT -
    I made false statement here, see my response below.

• LionsPhil says:

Can you make local backups, or is that considered too pirate-friendly, or crippled by online activation that they’ll shut down?

• alice says:

There is an option to save the game installer to a folder on your hard drive while installing, which I did. It also did a phone home check when I first started the game post-install so I am not sure if I could re-install without internet/their servers being up but at least there is something.

• BooleanBob says:

Any chance of a link to their TOS online? I tried to find it on the Origin site but could only find what looked like the TOS for their website. At any rate I’d be keen to check out this one-year claim.

• Premium User Badge Schaulustiger says:

I’ll have to correct myself here. My German Origin version linked to an older EADM TOS with the one-year-download-limit, but it’s now corrected and the Origin TOS no longer include such a passage.

The official english FAQ state:

“Q: Will my game download ever expire?
      A: Digital download rights remain available for at least one year after purchase. Origin typically doesn’t retire games, and we’ve only retired around 10 of the 150 games we sell, and these have generally been because of the expiration of licensing rights. If you come across an issue, simply contact Origin Help and we’ll reconfigure things for you.”

(Source).

The actual Origin EULA can be found here.

Sorry for any confusion, I blame EA Germany.

9. The Sombrero Kid says:

I don’t like being bullied, I’m not going to EA’s store, even if that means i can’t play games i’m looking forward to, although the only must have game coming from EA in the near future for me is ME3.

10. hodj says:

Sure makes my decision on whether to buy any more EA games on pc pretty easy, I’ll say that about it.

They can try to challenge Steam all they want, but they will fail. EA has already shown they have no clue when it comes to digital downloads in the past, why would anyone use their service, which sells only their games exclusively, over Steam? Only because they are forced to.

11. LionsPhil says:

Well, it didn’t hurt Half-Life 2 that Valve used it to force everyone into Steam, even if they bought boxed copies.

That said, I’m not expecting Origin to be less evil or less inept than Steam; I am expecting it to be less featureful on some of the nicities Valve dangle to distract from the DRM. Anyone want to disabuse me of these notions?

• BooleanBob says:

Yes. But I shall do it not with words, but swords, sirrah! En garde!

• LionsPhil says:

Aha! Have at you, you cur!

• Grygus says:

It didn’t hurt Half Life 2 but it did hurt Steam. I will agree that Steam seems pretty popular now, but a lot of people hated it at the time and there is still a sizable number of PC gamers that consider it some sort of evil plot; their objections (when rational) are almost all based on those early days. I’m not sure that following that example is optimal.

• Fierce says:

You know, I catch wind of these allegations every so often and I find myself completely ignorant every single time. As you say, when rational, what exactly are the arguments that some have against Steam?

From what little I’ve heard, its either been “They are DRM” which as far as I’m concerned, is preferable to third-party DRM schemes which typically don’t have the decency to remove themselves from my OS when I uninstall the game they’re protecting, or it has been “The VAC system can lock you out of your game library!” which, while apparently true, only seems to occur to those who immediately post on the forums “But I was just trying a file my friend gave me! I didn’t know~” or some other tripe excuse for someone who tried to cheat in Counter-strike for their precious K:D ratio and got caught.

Steam in itself, has a well designed and intuitive Store system, a useful and mature Community implementation, handy News items tied directly to the game you’re looking at in your Library, and relatively flawless in-game Overlay (albeit with a crappy browser) that remains more useful and more effective at killing the time in a BFBC2 queue than, say, the GFWL overlay. This before even mentioning the crazy sales they throw, the high quality of their download and patch servers or the fact that their owners are the deserving darlings of the game industry, whose tip jar I don’t mind throwing my spare change into every time I’m at the register.

While I’m sure the early days were horrendous, what exactly is it about current-day Steam that gets people so upset?

• DD says:

@Fierce

I can pretty much agree with everything you said there. I was one of those that absolutely hated steam when it was first implemented and didnt play CS 1.6 for a long time because of it.

As far as im concerned its a completely different program now whose benefits far, far outweigh the negatives. The only real problems i’ve run into are just not having access when my internet goes down or something. Being able to access my game from anywhere with no CD’s needed or patch updates? It’s a dream i’ve had since I was a kid to have that kind of easy access to games.

12. Premium User Badge Joshua says:

Will people who already bought C2 on steam still be able to play it?

13. Premium User Badge VelvetFistIronGlove says:

As much as I don’t like this move, it’s the best way for EA to ensure that Origin will get a critical mass of customers, in exactly the same way that Valve required Steam for all buyers of Half-Life 2.

It becomes a problem for customers though: with traditional retail, having multiple retail outlets selling the same game gives me the choice of where I want to buy it (based on price, location, time required), while not imposing any burdens on me beyond that.

However with download services that require a client to be running, like Steam (and I think Origin too?), there’s a strong incentive for me to use only one service: I only need to have one client running, and all my games are accessible from that one client. Of course, I prefer games that don’t require me to have a client running (one reason I always buy from GOG over Steam when possible).

It’s interesting that we’ve seen digital music move from mostly user-shifted (CD rips, Napster) to having multiple noninteroperable clients (iTunes, Windows Media Player), and thence to having all digital music sold DRM-free so you can buy from anywhere and play the music anywhere.

I would like to see the same happen with games. We’re seeing EA react directly to Steam’s hegemony, just as the big four labels did to iTunes a few years ago. However, EA is merely creating their own Steam, not as far as I can see anything measurably better.

• PaulMorel says:

Your analogy to music is compelling. It breaks down when we get to the fact that music is now sold DRM-free. That’s why we have multiple services (iTunes, eMusic, Amazon) which can be played from multiple players (iTunes, winamp, …etc).

DRM will never be removed from games for the simple reason that they are software. With music, it’s flat media. It’s not software in itself. But with games, we HAVE to run some software, so it’s less of a drawback to have some of that software check for authenticity.

It would be interesting to see an open source DRM scheme. I’m not sure if it’s even possible.

• Premium User Badge VelvetFistIronGlove says:

There are many games that are sold DRM-free. Many, many indie games. A good many from middle-sized developers. Very few AAA games—in fact I know of only one such—are sold DRM-free at launch, but quite a number of them get the DRM patched out within a year or two; Far Cry 2 for example (for retail versions, not Steam versions). And there’s GOG’s entire collection of back-catalogue games as the most notable DRM-free selection in the digital download.

The situation is of course not directly comparable to music, but I am (or maybe just hope I am) seeing similar changes happen. One thing that is the same in both cases is that DRM costs money; is very imperfect at its intended purpose; causes increased support/return costs due to the problems it causes for a small percentage of customers; and—in the case of a DRM-encumbered service like Steam—results in the customers being locked into the service, which gives the service power over the publishers.

Look at how many commenters in this thread and on the related article have said they won’t be buying EA games unless they can get them on Steam. Now, imagine if EA made the offer: you can download all your existing EA purchases (that you bought on Steam, for example) from Origin, without paying extra? That would remove the customer lock-in, at least as far as EA games go.

I don’t honestly expect to see such a thing occur anytime soon—especially not with EA—but it’s an interesting new approach that we’re just seeing the start of in the music arena with the iTunes Match service that Apple recently announced. If you’re unfamiliar with it, it’s a $25/year service that lets you store all your music on Apple’s cloud service—whether it is music you bought on iTunes, or on another music service, or ripped from CD, or pirated—from where you can download it to any Apple device and probably, though I’m not certain, Windows PC running iTunes. (And the music is still DRM-free).

I don’t see EA’s move here doing anything particularly forward-thinking or customer-friendly, but it’ll be interesting to see how all this plays out over the next year.

14. Moni says:

I’m fairly sure this is just a big misunderstanding, otherwise it’s a pretty dumb strategy. Why wouldn’t they just mark all the prices on Origin down?

Also, does everyone who bought Crysis 2 on Steam still have access to it?

15. Hoaxfish says:

So, is this Origins actually available yet? Because look before you leap seems apparent here.

16. Protagoras says:

Thing is, while steam do corner the market and thats bad, the reason none of the other “serious” competitors can hold a candle to it is simply due to steam being good design, while Origin/GFWLM are shit design.

Now, instead of actually making a good fucking product, it seems they’re trying to use exclusivity as buying hook. And that pisses me off – its fucks consumers, simple as that. I’m keen on getting BF3, but I don’t feel like having to pay a lot more (cause its EA store) and having to download a shitty product to actually play the game.

• MD says:

To be fair, Valve did that too — Steam was pretty terrible back in the day, and they tied it to HL2 (even boxed copies).

Two wrongs don’t make a right, but I don’t think they deserve a backlash on principle. If it’s annoying to use, I won’t use it and will hope it fails. But I don’t begrudge them the attempt, even if that requires the admittedly consumer-unfriendly step of forced exclusivity. I certaintly don’t take an ‘anything goes if it’s good business’ line, but on the scale of corporate jerkery, this sort of thing is pretty mild.

• RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

The difference is that Steam didn’t really have any good examples to steal ideas from. If you’re trying to launch a store that’s less convenient than Steam is now, you’re just not doing it right.

17. Daniel Klein says:

I’m all for the dismantling of monopolies, but not if the alternative is a significantly worse shopping experience. EA’s account management has given me nothing but trouble in the past and to say that doesn’t instill me with confidence for their online store is an understatement.

At this point my money’s on Valve.

• PaulMorel says:

Is Xbox Live a monopoly? Should there be multiple download clients for XBox hardware?

Is PSN a monopoly since it is the only choice on PS3?

How is Steam a monopoly, when it competes with digital download services offered by Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo? Not to mention the fact that there are many Valve competitors in the PC-Game digital download market (GoG, D2D… etc). Steam is the largest service on the PC because it is the best, not because it is the only one.

18. Grinterloper says:

Last time I used an EA download service I paid full price for Battlefield 2142 and was locked out of the game 6 months later because I didn’t pay a “renewal charge” I spent 3 months chasing tech support until someone would give me the answer and they wouldn’t refund me for the game I paid for.

What I’m getting at here is, fuck EA and any download service they care to throw at us.

• DD says:

Im with you on this. I got spore from the EA service back when it came out. It had a install limit which later locked me out of the game installing after a few reformats.

Not really a fan of them at all.

19. alice says:

I ordered Alice 2 from Origin as it seemed to be the only place online to get the original Alice as DLC with a preorder. When it came time to download it this morning their client gave me a bit of runaround (my password was suddenly invalid, resetting it through the client fixed it) but otherwise seems as innocuous as Steam.

I would have preferred buying on Steam or from retail, but my experience so far has not soured me on Origin entirely.

• JiminyJickers says:

Does it have an offline mode like Steam?

I hate having to use Steam but I have now got used to it. I have it mainly in offline mode, so I hope this has it because I’m sure that they will be brining out Mass Effect 3 tied to this.

• alice says:

Actually, I just closed the Origin client and launched Alice 2 without a hitch, did not restart the client even. So it would seem you only need it for downloads and initial post-install phone home? Going to try unplugging my computer from network next to see if it works.

• Premium User Badge Joshua says:

You only have to use it for downloading. I downloaded Bad Company 2 from their service, and then launched BC2 trough steam with Origin fully closed.

Although that is also possible with steam with some steamworks integrated games, the way Origin downloads the installer (CD-like) instead of the entire game (Steam-like), does hint that that is their intention.

• alice says:

Yes, I can also confirm that you can play the game offline with the client closed. So this improves my opinion of the service already.

• JiminyJickers says:

Sweet.

• Kaira- says:

Well, that one makes Origin seem much more preferrable than I thought it would be.

• Optimaximal says:

EA have historically kept EADM separate from Online Services (now getting rolled out under various guises as AutoLog, BattleLog, Black Market (DA2) and Cerberus Network (ME2), with their broken Profile platform in the middle as glue.

You can see why they do it – the download is essentially a re-packaged version of the retail release (same activation methods etc.), whereas integrated services like Steam requires a whole extra layer of work.

20. Bilbo says:

Maybe they just don’t want Steam to take a cut?

What’s the harm in that?

If you have the means to distribute a game yourself and not pay Steam a levy for using their service, it makes good sense to – even if they reach fewer customers as a result, the per-sale charge on Steam is like 30% or something crazy

• Dirtyboy says:

Steam’s 30-40% take is pretty close to what Apple and Amazon charge for digital content sales.

• skinlo says:

30% is very low compared to selling it on retail.

• Bilbo says:

I’m not disputing either of those points, but all the same, EA are in a position to not pay a levy on their sales, so why shouldn’t they take advantage of that position?

21. Raiyan 1.0 says:

I sense a great disturbance within the Force. The old world order may be in peril.

Anyway, if Steam starts dying, we all know what will happen. Valve will release HL3 which will be Steam exclusive, and everyone will come scampering back.

Okay, is this what we have to do to get HL3 released? Then I say, “GO ORIGIN, GO!”

• LionsPhil says:

One more realistic modern-day shooter is not going to challenge the lumbering hat-decorated multiplayer behemoth on Steam’s side, let alone all the other Steam games, like indie projects and 75% off sales.

22. Rasputinator says:

I’m all for another competitor to the world of digital distribution/Steam, just, EA is really not the right company to launch another competitor.

23. bansama says:

You can still buy Crysis 2 on GamersGate (along with Battlefield 3 pre-order, Alice, etc.), Direct2Drive and Impulse. So the claims of it being an Origin exclusive simply are not true.

Now the question is, instead of coming up conspiracy theories as to why this has happened, has anyone actually taken the time to ask EA what’s going on?

24. itsallcrap says:

*Browsing Steam for new game to buy*

*Loads up RPS to see what’s been any good recently*

‘Oh right’

*Goes back to browsing Steam*

• Tei says:

FUN FACTS: If you do this more than two times a day, people faces start to melt and turn into something that look like DLC’s for a trains game.

25. DSR says:

For me, ORIGIN(EA Download Manager) > STEAM as a platform to buy games.

And there are numerous reasons for that:

1 – Pricing. Regional pricing in EA Store.
    Games are MUCH cheaper where I live, and EA sells them for prices like my retail shops. Steam still sells them for 60$.
    2 – Reliability.
    “Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request.”
    I’ve bought DarkSpore, Crysis 2 and Bulletstorm at launch in EA Store, and I’ve yet to experience ANY downtime. Remember what happens to Steam each time big title hits it? I do.
    3 – Speed.
    For some weird reason, for me and my friends Steam rarely downloads anything faster than 1-2 megaBYTES per second. Usually its 500-900 KB/s.
    Origin, on the other hand, is as fast as it could be. Usually around 5-9 megabytes per second(I’ve got 100mbit connection)
    Sometimes it does matter. It ruined our yesterday “gather and play” session because Steam decided to waste 4 hours downloading a game which should be done in 30 minutes.
    4 – It just does its job.
    You don’t even need to launch it when you want to play a game. Launch Origin, buy and download game and forget about Origin. Games just work. Without any useless icons in tray like Steam.

But, there are also several downsides:

1 – UI.
    Its not bad, but certainly not as good and polished as EA could’ve made it if they wanted.
    2 – Social.
    I don’t usually care about it(My friends are friends on Skype with me), but still. EA added some last minute friend list into Origin, but its downright awful, I cant even choose an unique nickname there. Only “game account name” from games like Battlefield.

The biggest flaw of Origin: No 3rd party games(I think).
    No Indies, nothing.

If they fix that(Add non EA games), Steam is in for a HUGE surprise.
    My two cents.

• jon_hill987 says:

On down sides I notice you can’t have your own avatar either, just a selection of crappy images from their games.

• JiminyJickers says:

Not having to have it running is definitely a plus for me. But I just hope they don’t force you to use it when you buy the disc version, like Steam does.

• DSR says:

@ JiminyJickers

I’ve purchased Origin(When it was EADM) version of Battlefield: Bad Company 2.
      Once when I was out of internet, I’ve installed retail BFBC2 and used my Origin CD key with it.
      It worked!

So, if you want, you can completely avoid using it.

Though, I’m not sure if it will stay that was when BF3 is released, but right now, you only need to run Origin when you actively download new games.
      You can even install them without it running(There are option for downloaded installers in a separate folder if you wish it to keep them).

I’ve bought DragonAge: Origins there(Pun not intended) and there is an installer left on my HDD. I can launch it and reinstall my DA when I want without launching Origin.

I think its a great piece of software already, but still could use some polishing.

• JiminyJickers says:

@DSR

Sweet, thanks for letting me know. Sounds like it is pretty good.

• theleif says:

I gotta agree with DSR here. I don’t understand the dislike for the EA/Origin downloader. Only thing i miss is a way to patch the games from it.
      Otherwise it’s just fine.

• Theory says:

It might be performing well now, but just wait until Battlefield 3 is released. When demand first peaks it will fail, like every other unproven network has.

• Leelad says:

You clearly work for EA. All of you.

PC gaming is all about the indies now. There are a few gems that pop through now and then but on the whole i’m looking for something different. Something I haven’t seen before. EA cannot offer this because they don’t take risks, they don’t put faith in indies, I doubt Indies will appear on their store.

EA don’t help developers they buy them eat them and shit them out. (RIP westwood, maxis, bullfrog…oh you take your pick..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Electronic_Arts )

• SaVi says:

One of my worries is, that EA says “In about 1 or 2 years, don’t excpect us to keep letting you download your games. You can still buy them again though”. I mean, serously? In the good BF 2142 times, I got myself the DLC pack for 10 €. After a few months, it vanished.
      Some other commenter here said he lost his entiere BF 2142 Game.
      Now I got myself 2 Sims 3 Addons from there, but copied the installers on my NAS.
      If they really wan’t to compete with Steam, they should make sure that the customers don’t need to be afraid that they can’t access their purchases anymore after some time.

• Kadayi says:

@DSR
      1 – Pricing. Regional pricing in EA Store.

You know that the publishers set their own pricing on Steam, Not Valve. Valve just take a %.
      Also the EA Store prices here in the UK are more expensive than UK retail prices.

• skalpadda says:

Funny, I routinely get 9-11MB/s out of Steam, the only times I see it falling are during peak hours when something big has just been released or once when it inexplicably set my region to another country. The prices on the EA store in Sweden are also a bit higher although of course that’s partly because I pay in Euros on Steam and Swedish crowns from the EA store which happens to benefit me a lot at the moment.

Being able to launch your games without running the client is a good thing but I wonder if they can maintain that if they want to sell games from other publishers. There’s the main thing though; how many publishers will want to sell their games through EA? Do they even plan to bring other publishers along or is this just a store for EA games?

• Tatourmi says:

Leelad: You are making a big, big mistake. Remember Shank? The whole EA partners program? They are quite focused on indies.

• Premium User Badge cqdemal says:

@Kadayi

That’s for the UK. I live in Thailand and I can pre-order big upcoming titles likes Mass Effect 3, Battlefield 3 and stuff like that through Origin for roughly $27 each, which is the exact same price as new EA releases in retail stores here. The only downside of this regional pricing system is that DLCs (not expansions) retain their global prices, which are the same as US prices in almost all cases – e.g. I bought Mass Effect 2 for $27 but had to pay $31 on top of that to get all the big DLCs.

Other publishers with local distributors here also do this. Ubisoft, for example. Assassin’s Creed 2, Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood and Splinter Cell: Conviction all launched at $23. Just Cause 2 was $17.

26. Lukasz says:

just checked origin, a polish version of that site. prices are from 20% to 50% lower than on steam.
    Might be good for eastern europeans…

• Bhazor says:

True dat.

The sales aren’t as good but the starting prices definitely seem to be better on Origin.

• Kadayi says:

All publishers set their own prices on Steam.

• Lukasz says:

That’s irrelevant mate. the only thing which matters is what is the better deal. price is major factor in that.

• Kadayi says:

1) I’m not your mate

2) I’m clarifying a point. Valve don’t set third party pricing.

If it’s cheaper to buy say Assasins Creed brotherhood via retail Vs Steam, that’s all down to Ubi keeping the price high. Nothing to do with Valve.

Sure go where the cheapest deal is, but the issue for people here is the fracturing of online gaming communities over myriad digital platforms.

• Lukasz says:

lol.
      again: who sets the prices is irrelevant.

steam is 20-50% more expensive for me than origin. who sets the prices, who is to be blamed that is not an issue here and i really don’t know why are you bringing this up.

fact is that origin is much better monetary deal than steam at the moment (when it comes to ea games of course) for me.

27. Brutal Deluxe says:

Challenge everything.

28. Premium User Badge Carra says:

The fun thing about steam is having all my games in one place. Origin would only give me some EA games (and too expensive looking at their site, just like steam).

But of course they want their own platform. If 20-30% of every sold games earnings go to Valve that’s 20-30% that EA isn’t getting.

29. Bankei says:

I seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot to go up against 2 giants with their Battlefield franchise.

On one side, you have Activision that wants nothing more than to see Battlefield 3 crash and burn and on the other side, you have Steam that controls the digital distribution world. I don’t understand why, in this particular scenario, EA wants to go up against 2 giants. Considering that the idea here is to make sure you maximize your game’s audience…

On the bright side, if they are focusing so hard on digital distribution of PC games, I think this is simple proof that PC gaming isn’t dead, its growing!

• Bhazor says:

Worked with Half Life 2.

• MichaelPalin says:

I remember when Ubisoft released UPlay and tried to force everyone using it by releasing various of their top selling franchises right when the service started (Assassin’s Creed, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell). Did it go well? No. Now look at Modern Warfare 2 and how did they screw PC users. Did it go well? Actually, I don’t know, but it wasn’t a disaster either, was it? The thing is that big publishers will keep trying to gain more and more control over us with their big titles. In fact, you can see a trend here, they hype a future release as much as they can and then, close to release, they start speaking about the unpopular features. Remember Spore?

Anyway, time to learn a lesson I guess. And I’m sure Battlefield 3 will still surprise us in the following months.

• FD says:

@Bhazor
      The big difference is in terms of other market conditions. When HL2 came out DD was still pretty new and there weren’t a lot of other competitors in the space, it let Valve iron out the kinks in Steam with very few competitors. Origin doesn’t have that luxury, it has to compete with Steam out of the gate and while EA has the properties to leverage into market share for Origin and could easily be successful it isn’t directly comparable to Valve and HL2.

• Bhazor says:

But look at it the other way.

Steam was almost an entirely untested market, launched with frankly outrageous levels of DRM (this was in the old CD key only era) and with an infamously broken platform at launch. It still sold like mad due to being a uber hyped and critically acclaimed man shoot. The may have been few competitors but that also meant there was no market when they arrived. Which is the bigger risk, launching into a crowded market or trying to build a new market from scratch?

30. MiniMatt says:

It’s a curious one as competition is not necessarily a bad thing. But competition would be “hey devs, come to us, we charge a smaller cut than Steam” or “look we’ve got better features than Steam”.

This sort of approach isn’t competition, it’s akin to Heinz saying “baked beans are now an Asda exclusive item”. To which several people’s response might be “yeah but Sainsburys is closer to me, more convenient, and their trolleys have less wobbly wheels – so I’ll kinda make do with HP Beans instead thanks”.

• cliffski says:

that may be phase 2. In phase 1, you launch, and get things working reliably. No point in inviting 100 other devs when you still have bugs and reliabiltiy issues.
      I cannot imagine anyone in a financial and market position to beat or equal steam, not planning to do so.
      If I had the money, I’d be trying :D

• Koozer says:

I would do anything for Heinz spaghetti. Anything.

31. Bweahns says:

Hehe, like anyone with a PC wants to play Crysis 2.

As for Battlefield 3, the latest real in game advantage shenanigans are making me rethink purchasing it. I think I’ll be more than happy enough playing Red Orchestra 2 for a few years.

32. MichaelPalin says:

News like this is the kind of thing that make me not be sure whether I like EA on Good Old Games or not. Especially since they have such a suspicious EULA on the games they are releasing there.

• Chauvigny says:

Just curious here, what part of EULA are you refering to?

33. Premium User Badge TheApologist says:

A publisher that wishes to sell less of the product it is publishing is not a very good publisher.

34. DevilSShadoW says:

I recently bought BFBC2 from origin. And after the initial install and whatnot, guess what? I don’t need to have origin started in order to play my game. It doesn’t load any additional process or keep anything running in the background. The game just launches nice and clean. Whereas steam wants you to keep it running at all times eve if you play in offline mode. Not saying steam is bad, just that origin is apparently doing something right.

35. Dirtyboy says:

I think the article needs to point out that EA is still the official boxed copy retail seller of all Valve games and they are all currently for sale on Origin. Ironically, Darkspore is Steam’s mid-week sale.

• The Hammer says:

Yeah, this is an important aspect to this.

Which makes me wonder if Valve will continue to use EA for publishing, heh. It seems iffy, that EA get royalties for Valve’s boxed sales, while at the same time they’re withdrawing their games from Steam, so that Valve doesn’t get royalties for digital sales.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Naw, I don’t think Valve cares THAT much about it. I’m sure they’d really like to have EA titles on Steam, but they have a good relationship with EA as their retail publisher, and I don’t see why this would affect that.

But Valve is one of those weird and endearing companies who are more worried about their long-term strategy (in this case, community building and making their product as available as possible) than immediate bottom line.

• Dobleclick says:

THAT’S the first thing I thought when reading the article… A good business partnership is mutual. EA withdrawing titles from Steam?

No idea how long Valve is bound by contract to EA for their hard copies, but it is nonsense to think this move has no effect on Valve’s future strategy.

• ResonanceCascade says:

It’s not nonsense. As long as EA’s retail publishing for Valve continues to be good, it’s not going to change. I’d bet money on it.

Valve isn’t going to shoot themselves in the foot just because EA chose to. They have nothing to gain, and EA isn’t going to stop this service over one developer — even a very big one. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if Valve is totally fine with people downloading Valve games over EA’s service.

It’s highly counter-intuitive, but just watch. I promise you it shall be so.

36. Angel Dust says:

While I’m a bit miffed about this I guess it’s not wholly unreasonable. I mean, it’s not like you can buy Valve games through any other digital distribution channel. I probably won’t be using this Origin store though, since the prices are higher than Steams for my region.

• theleif says:

This.
      I don’t get why we all get so upset when EA does with one game what Valve has done all along with all their titles. Sure, I would vote for Valve in a good-will contest, and I wouldn’t mind if EA didn’t do this, but it’s hardly the end of the world.
      And, unfortunately, until Origin only sells EA games, it will have little impact on the pricing on the online market.

37. kikito says:

mEAh

38. Instant says:

Anyone else read “enema” in the origin URL?

• Bhazor says:

To me it sounds more like “Old McDonalds Has a Farm”.

Old McDonalds has dyslexia
      Ee Ay Ee Em Ee Ay

39. Rii says:

Did anyone seriously not see this coming from the moment Origin was announced?

• Tomm says:

I think most suspected it, but until it happens you can’t really write an article on it or complain about it.

40. Stevostin says:

The Wrong Way To Do It.

You want to counter Steam hegemony ? Fine, that’s a damn good idea.

But countering it by negating the availability of it’s services to users (centralisation of game catalog, steam cloud, social network) ?

Damn bad idea.

There’s only one way to do it, and that’s how Steam gained its hegemony BTW : provide useful services. An EA shops selling EA products could offer improved support features, free extra content with smooth integration, and on the long run deep integration between the games and the online distribution service.

You have to make people choose EA store, not try to force them. You can’t force PC users to anything, considering the piracy. They’ll broke your arm. Speak to their educated nature ( yes, they have one ;-)

• MD says:

I think you’re whitewashing Steam’s history a bit. My initial experience with Steam was of being forced to use it in order to play HL2, and finding it an immense pain in the arse. Individuals’ experiences vary, of course, but I was far from alone, and they certainly didn’t lure me in by creating a service I wanted to use for its own sake.

I think a fairer summary of Valve’s path to digital-distribution dominance would be:

make flawed client -> tie it to one of the most anticipated and critically-hyped games ever -> eventually give those people reasons to stick around.

• Icarus says:

Yeah, I’ll go with this. The early versions of Steam that you had to install for HL2 and Counter-Strike were really not as shiny and good as it is currently, and there was very little reason to use it beyond a download/game manager. The storefront, discounts and social stuff came in later, but they’re the reasons I stick around now.

• LionsPhil says:

And the unfortunate thing for EA is that Battlefield 3 is not Half-Life 2. Even as spineless a crowd as PC gamers are still going to think twice about if they want to play another modern-day multiplayer shooter badly enough to deal with another digital download account.

So Origin has to be at least as good as Steam is now, when it can finally offset the obnoxious DRM with friends and screenshot management and overlays and voice chat and ridiculous sales.

• alh_p says:

I’d echo the comments on early steam and valve introduction of it.

Re EA and the use of carrots vs sticks in sheparding bleating customers around, remember that this is EA. Good gestures do not come easily to a playground bully and EA has often seemed to prefer brute force to any other strategy.

• The Hammer says:

It’s worth noting, though, that Steam was amongst the first of its kind. It’s gone through massive revolutions since its 2003/2004 creation, when it only included Valve games. I think one of the first third-party games was, uh, Ragdoll Kung-Fu, way back in 2005.

Releasing a client like Steam was in its formulative days would not be acceptable at all. Technology and design have rapidly moved on since then, but it’s hardly fair to say Valve had a rockier start – of course they did.

41. pingualot says:

This is very strange considering EA publishes all Valve games on PC and console for retail. SO they must have a closer relationship than most yet EA still does this. I bet EA won’t be publishing ep3 if this continues.

42. Teddy Leach says:

Oh bloody hell.

43. mod the world says:

My first reaction: Yeah, even more competition for fucking Valve that charges me 50€ for Portal 2. Great. But then… then i looked at the €-prices at the EA-store…

44. CMaster says:

Wait, when did the relatively unobstrusive EA Store/EA Download Manager become “Origin”? I apparently missed all of this.

45. Napalm Sushi says:

How ironic: I was thinking of picking up Crysis 2 eventually, and now I’m not.

Sometimes, monopolies just happen because, in Highlander style, there can be only one. The desire of people to keep all their games in one place and not have multiple download, cloud and social clients running shows why that’s the case here. It also doesn’t help that these other companies now trying to muscle in on the download market are essentially shutting the gate years after the horse has bolted. Whether the current situation is ultimately going to bite us in the ass remains to be seen, but regardless, the only way to seriously challenge Steam right now without screwing over the consumer is to wait for it to fall.

• Tenorek says:

That’s how I feel as well. I have been waiting to get enough disposable income to comfortably buy myself Crysis 2 as a treat, but now, without being able to have it on Steam, it interests me far far less.

46. GoldenPants says:

It does appear to have been a reasonably successful PR move at the very least for Origins. Just in the comments here you can hear people trying it, myself included, and finding out it doesn’t seem so bad.

47. MD says:

EA publishes The Sims, right? I’ve always wanted to try The Sims 2 or 3, but they’re obscenely expensive in Australia, online and off (as far as I know, although it’s been a long time since I went into a meatspace game shop). If they have an awesome sale on their digital store, I will install it and make an account and buy The Sims. Then, if the client is not too obnoxious, maybe I’ll keep it installed and end up blowing lots of money on some of their other games. If they just sell everything at their usual ridiculous prices, no dice. Your move, EA!

• Premium User Badge PoulWrist says:

What’s with the ridiculous prices? Here in Denmark the EA store has always been, and still is, cheaper than steam.

• MD says:

I’m not sure whether this holds for all of their games, but for me the EA store’s regular price on The Sims 3 is the same as Steam’s.

It turns out they are having a sale, but I wouldn’t call it an awesome sale. The Sims 3 is reduced from $80 to $40 (that’s probably in AUD, so $85/$43 USD), and the Sims 2 Double Deluxe is $30, which I think is permanent rather than a sale price. Or I could get The Sims Medieval Special Edition for $90! Hooray! :-[

48. Hunam says:

To be fair Crysis 2 is horrible anyway so EA are welcome to it.

49. amorpheous says:

GOOD MOVE, EA. MAKING FEWER SALES BY CUTTING A HUGE PORTION OF THE MARKET OUT MAKES PERFECT BUSINESS SENSE! :-)

“Oh, and if you bought Crysis 2 from Steam at an earlier date, fear not – you can still play it.”

I personally bought it on D2D and registered it on EADM (what is now known as Origin) when I found out I couldn’t register it on Steam. Also, it wasn’t worth the pre-order. :’(

• Premium User Badge PoulWrist says:

How is it cutting a huge part of the market out? People need to get over their steam love and realise that their fanboyism is creating a monopoly, that has given those who sell through it the ability to push extreme prices. 30% more than retail in Denmark, where we have 25% VAT… how does that make sense? EA store has always had lower prices than steam, so fine by me.

• Optimaximal says:

Convenience != Fanboyism. People buy from Steam because it’s easily the class-leading service.

I also buy through GOG.com, not just because of their niche content, but because they can offer an enhanced service via the additional material.

Too me, every other service is just an inconvenience or a download portal, not the ‘service’ that they aspire to/claim (which is just a roundabout way of tying you into a service agreement that prevents resale and absolves them of all liability for little return other than continued access to what you’ve paid for).

• Theory says:

“Can still play it, but does that mean you can still download it off Steam if you uninstall it?”

50. metalangel says:

The more control they try and grab, the less likely I am to continue with gaming as a hobby. Really. It’s bad enough having to register with them to play on Xbox Live, then enter the long online pass code, then endure the unskippable advertisement for another of their products… I’m already unkeen on EA and BF3 because of these practices, this is yet another tick against ever doing business with them again.