New Lulzsec Attacks On WoW, Newerth, Eve

By Alec Meer on June 15th, 2011 at 6:29 pm.

Yesterday’s denial of service attacks on Minecraft, Eve Online and League of Legends do not appear to be the end of hacker collective Lulzsec’s attempts to force online games offline. Heroes of Newerth’s login server was named a victim around an hour ago, shortly followed by the group declaring its intention to target Eve again tonight. That may of course be a double-bluff, but keep it in mind if you’re intending to play tonight.

Then, just moments ago, they stated that they were now rerouting calls to their ‘requests’ phone number to World of Warcraft’s customer support line. They claim their line, alleged by some to be a premium rate number, receives between 5 and 20 calls a second at present. Whether this signals an impending attack on WoW itself remains to be seen, but the group currently appear to be focusing efforts on phone rerouting.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Bilbo says:

I don’t think you need to keep reporting on these guys’ shenanigans. We know it’s going on, you posted it yesterday, none of us assumed they’d stopped. You’re giving them exactly what they want.

• mpk says:

News site in reporting news shocker.

• Bilbo says:

I get it, it’s arguably a news story, but the issue is more contentious than that and we all know it

• Aedrill says:

This. Attention whores are attention whores. You’re not helping here.

• Gundato says:

It is gaming news and it largely affects a lot of us. If RPS were gonna not post because it would be giving jackasses what they want, we would NEVER see a single trailer or preview :p

Out of curiosity, have these attacks largely been confined to the US regional servers, or the world as a whole? Just wondering how much incentive the feds will have to hunt said jackasses down.

• vandinz says:

I agree, it’s the same news churned out with different targets. However you’re giving them what they want. I understand it’s your job to report it but tbh I wouldn’t care if I never saw another thing about Lulzsec.

• vandinz says:

I don’t think they give a shit about the ‘feds’. They’ve just rerouted their number to the FBI call centre so clearly they don’t think they’re trackable.

• Novotny says:

hehe Theory, I knew what that link was prior to clicking it.

Anyways, I’m with RPS on this. They are not sensationalising this; they are simply reporting it. It IS a massive news story.

• Zorganist says:

Pointing out the fact that they’re a bunch of attention-seeking cyber-toddlersand then debating over the newsworthiness of their actions is still giving them attention. Really, we should just not comment on any LulzSec stories at all, to show how nobody even cares about their actions enough to comment on how we should stop commenting on their actions.

• MiniMatt says:

Personal opinion would be to continue reporting, though I can see there’s an argument that it’s encouraging them and giving attention seekers what they want.

Major online destinations being taken down by nefarious means is news. Those destinations are often of interest to the readership and so their lack of availability (or at least notice that their accounts may have been compromised in the case of hacks rather than dos) are of interest to the readership.

Further, I’d argue that wide reporting, whilst perhaps acting as encouragement to criminals, does at least also act as encouragement to targets to come clean when they do experience break-ins rather than try to cover the whole thing up in some internal review.

• Daniel Rivas says:

I’m starting to think they should turn the comments off, though. I dunno.

Maybe we could just talk about something else? Did anyone see Game of Thrones on Monday?

• Napalm Sushi says:

This is like saying that the news shouldn’t report murders because it only encourages serial killers, or that it shouldn’t report trends in the economy because it only encourages stock crashes. What utterly borked logic.

• mpk says:

That’s not actually a very good argument for not covering a story.

They’re going to get the attention they’re craving anyway, because the people they want to impress are their peers and colleagues (whomever they may be). I sincerely doubt that they give a fuck if RPS puts out a news story or not, but the fact that the story is here is raising awareness amongst people who may not have otherwise known, and the more people who are aware of these attacks, the more the likelihood of action being taken against them increases.

You can’t just ignore them and hope they get bored and go away. That’s a horrendous attitude that says quite a bit about our society and the passive nature that says “This isn’t my problem”. If they’re ignored, they wont stop, they’ll escalate, and the longer they keep going, the more it encourages other people to think “Well, if they can do it, so can I”. Eventually it’s not EVE and WoW and Minecraft login servers that go down, it’s BBC and Facebook and HSBC. What do we do then? Keep ignoring them?

The greater the exposure, the better. Yes, it may mean that, in the short term, they get a bigger grin on their faces and a harder lump in their shorts, but it also means that, hopefully, they’ll be caught much more quickly.

• noom says:

@Napalm Sushi

“This is like saying that the news shouldn’t report murders because it only encourages serial killers”

Watch Theory’s link above pliz. Murders should not be reported as national news. Local news, sure, but what actual relevance does a killing have on a national scale? Very very little. All it does is satisfy people’s morbid curiousity.

• Kdansky says:

Do you seriously believe that not reporting will make them stop? You’re quite the optimist!

• Napalm Sushi says:

And this is gaming news being reported on a gaming news site. The article even states the direct relevance it may have to many of the people who post here. That’s about as close a parallel to “local news” as you can get in our particular interest sphere.

• PopeJamal says:

If you know it’s news, and you know it’s their stated job to report, you know news, then why are you giving them grief about it?

From what I gather, they’ve already got thousands of twitter followers, so that’s their real audience. That and the IRC groupies. They couldn’t care less about RPS at this point.

• Bilbo says:

@Napalm Sushi sorry but that’s bollocks, what I said is nothing like saying the news “shouldn’t cover murders” – the argument for not covering this story is that this action appears to be purely attention-seeking, and covering it is giving the perpetrators the attention they crave. The same argument does not apply to reporting on other crimes, because the motive isn’t attention-seeking. Pay attention before throwing one like that out there.

Besides, like I said, nothing’s changed since yesterday except their hit list. We don’t need a repeat performance on the blog circuit to be aware of the situation. We all know their twitter feed; we can just hit that. It’s the same argument that bemoans the “lets’ reblog a press release” culture – there’s newsworthy and there’s tedious, this is the latter.

It’s only barely “affecting gamers” anyway – any time I’ve checked any of the “targets” they’ve been online, clean and serene, with the exception of CCP who took their web presence offline voluntarily out of fear – “playing right into their hands”, in other words. Really I couldn’t give a toss what these buggers are up to and I don’t think I’m in the minority.

As for the rest of you, lets’ be clear – no, I don’t think RPS is the be all and end all, and no, I don’t think if they didn’t cover it the DDOS attacks would instantly stop, but there’s such a thing as a principle and giving voice to my own is my perogative. It didn’t become “giving RPS a hard time” until I started having to defend my position from jackasses who took my comment and ran with it, putting words in my mouth like “They shouldn’t cover murders in the news” and “If only RPS didn’t cover this, the nightmare would stop”. Read the comment again – is it really “giving RPS a hard time”? No. Just f**king no. Think before you post.

Seriously, FFS. Enough. No more internet for me tonight.

• rareh says:

They should keep posting this, it is news.
      I mean if we were to use the attention argument, every developer, publisher wants attention on their games, so we should stop reporting entirely on games.

• noom says:

Deep breaths Bilbo. It is a pretty contentious issue and is bound to get people a little riled. I think the tone of your first post is perhaps a little more aggressive than you realise though.

Mleh. Spirited debate and such. At the end of the day RPS comment threads are still far more reasoned than those of most websites :)

• Shakermaker says:

We? Speak for yourself, Bilbo. I like the way RPS is covering this story and I hope they continue to.

• Bilbo says:

Sorry Shakey, I assumed (perhaps mistakenly) that saying “We know what’s going on” and “We appreciate the depth of the issue” were safe statements to make. But I won’t speak for you. Ladies and gents, Shakey hasn’t a clue what’s going on and can’t fathom the issue at all.
      Am I doing it right? That better? :/

• Dexton says:

I wish commentors would stop talking for me with “we all know” “everyone knows” statements.

I am interested by this and appreciate RPS reporting on it. This is a PC news site, please continue reporting on PC news.

• psyk says:

They could at least do some research.

“alleged by some to be a premium rate number”

“Lulz Security phone support, with your hosts Pierre Dubois and Francois Deluxe, is currently on 450 missed calls. Thanks for the money. :D”
      From the twitter

They are making money off of that line, enough to tweet about it.

2. Derpington Hurrrrrrr says:

Attack on WoW could result in slight increase of suicide rates.

3. Drac40k says:

damn cyber-cancer :(

4. Some_Guy says:

They also hits magnets.com for not telling them how magnets work.

5. mpk says:

This whole situation stopped being funny a long time ago, but the truth of it the matter is that it’s going to be very, very hard to stop these people doing what they’re doing.

Can you trace a DDOS attack back to its roots? I hope so, and I hope some people get caught and some jail sentences get given and some attitudes changed. I’m not even sure if what they’re doing is illegal, or merely irritating, but god I want this out of the news.

• ScubaMonster says:

I think with how public they are and how many targets they’ve had in such a short span it’s impossible that they didn’t leave some traces behind. If anything, the feds are waiting to do a mass sting on these guys.

• Dana says:

The more people (companies etc.) they piss off, the more likelihood that they will gang up on them in a concentrated effort to track them down (with the help of authorities).

• Tei says:

“Can you trace a DDOS attack back to its roots?”
      I think theres a way, but can be complicated and may need to touch different countries and legal systems.

• NaFola says:

It’s always possible, but it comes down to how well they’ve covered their tracks, and how much time/man power is spent actually looking for those tracks. Think of it like a physical crime – there are clues to be found if you know where to look (and have the rights to actually look there).

Sometimes it actually costs less to just move on though, and protect yourself against it in the future (from a business’s point of view).

6. Terr says:

Sooner or later, they will be arrested and then the joke’s on them.

• Alaric says:

the joke has been on them for a while now. Basement virgins are inherently funny. Even if they take down my site.

• darkrenown says:

and when they do, every single one of these huge companies are gonna set their big fat paychecks on the desks of every single lawyer in the world.

they will be so screwed

7. Fierce says:

I was wondering when they were going to get around to WoW, but then I continue to hope they won’t because some people are so horribly addicted to it, I wouldn’t be surprised if a lengthy outage caused a suicide or three.

And if their activities actually caused someone to die, make no mistake; shit would get very real, very quickly.

• Chuck84 says:

If someone actually committed suicide because they couldn’t play a game, i think these random nitwits are pretty far down the list of people to blame.

If anything, knocking wow out for a week or 2 would be good for the obsessives. It’d be damn annoying for most people, but Blizz would credit the time.

• Joshua says:

They did not take down the servers, just some consumer support … thing.

WoW probably has already ensured some quite awesome defences.

8. RaveTurned says:

Twunts.

9. Lux says:

Yawn.

Honestly don’t know what else to say.

10. Mr. Icarus says:

DDoS attacks are extremely difficult to trace back. All they do is initiate the zombie programs on host systems, then those systems are just pumping out queries as fast as they can. Particularly since this isn’t a direct hack like some of their other stunts, there’s no packet data to really follow.

At least as far as I’m aware : /

11. MaXimillion says:

Well HoN was certainly hit by someone, but then again they’ve been DDoSed nearly constantly for the last few weeks, so it might just be a continuation of that with lulzsec taking credit.

12. 0p8 says:

i have a feeling that some of them might be EvE players who are (quite rightly) pissed at ccp decision to get into bed with Sony (and not PC)….and as we know they already proved they dislike Sony……or am i just stating the obvious??
    (even the name Lulzsec sounds EvE’ish)

• MCM says:

You are very wrong.

• 0p8 says:

…didnt mean it was the only reason or anything, i accept it could be random or indeed as they claim “just callers requests”

• Wulf says:

0p8 maaay just be onto something, here. Consider first that LulzSec is a goon effort (rather than a 4chan one as some might believe), then consider the goon presence in EvE. Really, 0p8 might just be onto something, here.

A worthwhile vector of investigation might be checking what EvE players were playing within a few days of the outage, disappeared for the entire thing without a login, then returned after. It’s going to return a number of false positives, sure, but it might help to narrow things down a bit. :P

• PopeJamal says:

I’ve always believed that Lulzsec were at least influenced by Eve. I always thought it was a play on “Null Sec” space.

That’s the Open PvP part of the galaxy (or whatever) where there aren’t any NPC “Police” and it’s strictly anything goes. Camping, extortion, robbery. The whole deal.

• Synchrony says:

Since CCP announced Dust 514 was console only in 2009 it would seem a strange reason to attack them now

• MCM says:

*facepalm*

This is not a goon effort, lulzsecurity is not a reference to hi-sec/low-sec/null sec, and you guys are extremely narrow-minded and need to get out more.

• soldant says:

If it was, they wouldn’t target anything else and would clearly highlight their intentions. Activism without an apparent cause isn’t activism, it’s… chaos. Besides all the people who don’t like CCP’s decision aren’t going to do anything except threaten to close their accounts and keep on playing.

• Ergates_Antius says:

“and you guys are extremely narrow-minded and need to get out more”

Hush now. They may be wrong, but nothing said above indicates narrow mindedness.

13. sinister agent says:

I wonder which established power will be the first to use this kind of childish shit as an excuse to clamp down on anything remotely unconventional on the internet. It only takes the actions of a large minority of fuckwits to ruin a good thing for everyone.

• Wulf says:

This is unfortunately so true. However, I wouldn’t blame the people wanting to clamp down too much, because it’s human nature to see an extreme, crazed minority as the whole thing. To hell with what good things others might have done.

14. Gotem says:

Group of nobodys do nothing worth reporting, more after the jump

15. Handsome Dead says:

breaking news: INTERNET SUPERSTARS LULZSEC DO SOMETHING

16. Gaytard Fondue says:

DDoS attacks. The phone pranks of today’s youth?

• Mr. Icarus says:

Sure. If [edit: back then] you call[ed] billions of times a second [which prevented] them from leaving their house.

[Edited for rayne117's benifit.]

• rayne117 says:

Phew, I know when I’m getting DDoS’d the last thing I can do is leave my house.

>_>

17. mandrill says:

I fail to see what these idiots have to gain from this. Apart from jail time.

• DXN says:

Articles on RPS.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Every time I read about these kids, I think of that episode of Venture Bros. where the kid gets sold to an inmate by The Monarch for a cigarette. “See, I just sold you for a cigarette…AND I DON’T EVEN SMOKE!”

If they don’t think there’s a major sting that’s about to land 2/3 of them in the deepest shit they’ve ever smelled, then I have a bridge or two to sell them.

• PopeJamal says:

Lulz?

18. Nimic says:

I had literally not heard of these guys before like two days ago.

Forever in Anon’s shadow.

19. Pete says:

Note to all the people invoking law enforcement: let’s be realistic, as priorites go it’s far behind either copyright infringement or paedophiles, and I think very few people have ever been prosecuted for DDoS attacks.

• Wulf says:

What about the stolen and publicised data? >_>

LulzSec supporters seem to be glossing over that part.

• PopeJamal says:

At least in the US, I think the minimum dollar amount to “buy” yourself an investigation of internet crime by the FBI is around $50K USD. Between the stolen data and the server downtime, they might well have passed that threshold.

Plus, they killed Osama Bin Laden, so I’m sure they’re just sitting around anyway. ;)

20. man-eater chimp says:

They’re poking a sleepy but soon to be very angry bear…

21. Faceless says:

Riding on the success of true professional hackers bending Sony over. Those people hacked to gain access to sensitive data that may turn a profit. These twats are obviously doing it for the lulz.

They also keep saying they’re exposing vulnerabilities of weak security systems, but all I’ve seen so far are shallow claims and primitive DDoS attacks.

They’ll get bored eventually, and move on. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

• 0p8 says:

you do realise that Lulzsec are the ones who bent sony over?

• Faceless says:

Says who? LulzSec themselves?

• 0p8 says:

well theyve been posting all their releases on their site

• Faceless says:

And none of those releases have anything to do with SCEA or PSN. They have shown no proof of breaching PSN or SCEA services. Not to mention they flaunt every single action they do now, so why didn’t they do the same when the aforementioned went down?

Not the same people, but LulzSec is trying their damn hardest to make people think otherwise, including hacking the unrelated Sonypictures.com. Thing is, professionals don’t DDoS, since it only brings attention to the attempt.

• 0p8 says:

theyve been at it since beginning of may with xfactor db,infraguard, NHS,PBS,Sony,Unveillance, Nintendo etc etc its been reported on numerous news sites if you actually bothered to research

• 0p8 says:

what groups do you know that openly release statements that they DIDNT do it?
      Anonymous denied they had anything to do with the psn attack, which they never do.
      sony was full of shit after the first attack on them and were just blindly accusing anon.

• Faceless says:

You’re desperately trying to draw a romantic image of LulzSec. Can I genuinely ask why?

Yes, all the news websites have been reporting their recent achievements, but all reports happen to stem from LulzSec themselves, rather than victims. Nothing can be proven, because affected corporations couldn’t track the perpetrators.

And if you bothered to actually do some research, you would know that Sony only initially accused Anonymous, but ultimately publicly admitted that they have absolutely no idea who hacked them and stole sensitive data, because intruders hid their tracks all too well.

Stop jerking them off.

• 0p8 says:

romantic?…. how so?….no illusions (or is that allusions?) here dude.
      ….. its a hot topic at the moment and ppl are getting angry so its interesting,but it’ll be forgotton in a week.

22. 0p8 says:

i dont think this will end well for them, but i must admit some of their antics over the last few weeks have been amusing, the irc log of the convo they had with Karim Hijazi (CEO of Unveillance) was comedy gold and had me in absolute stitches and then of course the official statement by Karim on his site, claiming he’s completely innocent with yet another (but less convincing) chat log was priceless.

• psyk says:

So I take it you didn’t read the release then?
      They are a monitoring company what exactly are they doing that is wrong? (apart from having the ability to monitor lulsecs botnet? and I guess you also somehow missed the beth stuff the other day where lulsec also tried to blackmail them? Also what is funny about blackmail and threats?

23. squareking says:

I appreciate these articles, as I’d like updates on what’s happening with the situation. I think RPS would be doing a gross disservice by not posting about it. Publicity stunts generally garner public attention, so..

24. nootron says:

From unpatched linux servers, to small websites, and now to 1 800 numbers. When will these amazingly skilled “hackers” reach their peak? Only time will tell!

25. Coins says:

From actual hacking to DDOS attacks, to phone pranks. What’s next, covering Blizzard HQ in toilet rolls?

26. darkrenown says:

the fact that they are simply dos attacking rather than doing fancy hacking suggests lulzsec are simply bored immature 12-year olds that want to be ‘big’ and ‘tough’ so they join an attack on blizzard

27. JackShandy says:

The psychiatrist in theories link doesn’t say that these stories shouldn’t be covered at all, only that they should avoid sensationalising them and report it in as down-to-earth manner as possible. Which RPS is doing. If they’d opened with “LULZSEC STICKS IT TO THE MAN ONCE AGAIN! WHAT COULD HAVE CAUSED THESE INNOCENT TEENS TO LASH OUT AGAINST AUTHORITY?!” you’d have a point.

Blast, reply fail.

28. Skusey says:

I’m sorry for moaning, but that’s a very misleading title. Saying that WoW – coincidentally the biggest MMO around – is going to be attacked, then saying “Whether this signals an impending attack on WoW itself remains to be seen” in the piece is just a bit scummy. Very tabloidy, which seems at odds with the rest of the site. But maybe you weren’t actively trying to grab false attention, and if so, I’m a dick who apologises profusely.

29. skraeling says:

Am I the only one that’s happy with this sort of thing going on?

Back in the day if you didn’t agree with the rules of society or with the restrictions placed upon you by a powerful government you could just excuse yourself and go to another part of the world. Usually this meant wild America. But, now there isn’t a habitable place on the planet where a person isn’t being restricted, used, or bullied by either a government or transnational corporation.

The only place left, which isn’t controlled by an ideological power, where a person can actually have freedom is the internet.

These lulzsec guys are practicing an absolute freedom, a freedom from even the imposition of ethics or logic, and they’re practicing it in the only place where a person can get away with behaving freely. I applaud them for it and see their “attacks” as a sign that the internet is still a wilderness that caters to people dissatisfied with and escaping from the dominant cultural hegemony.

• skraeling says:

Dissatisfied with and escaping from their parents, as well. Parents are such dicks.

• Vague-rant says:

Why don’t these people so dissatisfied with society leave it? Just go feral. Plenty of woodland/desert/rainforest. If freedom is worth so much, go for it.

Because ultimately the greatest freedom is to experience the consequences of your actions.

• fiddlesticks says:

Fighting for your freedom feels a lot less heroic when it’s based on the misery of others.

• sinister agent says:

Oh please. They’re not “practicing an absolute freedom”; they’re acting like juvenile dickheads whose pointless behaviour will be invoked whenever anyone in future wants to crack down on the freedom everyone else has managed to enjoy without wrecking an innocent person’s business for no reason.

“I AM FREE” doesn’t justify acting like a prick.

• Artum says:

To paraphrase extra credits, personal liberty is not to be used as a shield against blatant disregard for others.
      Except this goes beyond that because this is people actively attacking people for their own fiscal gain and their own amusement.
      You are outright sick in the head if you think this is justifiable behavior just because its over the internet.

• skraeling says:

Vague-rant, I don’t feel like getting into it but there is almost no rainforest/woodlands that isn’t either owned by someone/something (such as mining and logging companies in the Amazon) or protected by the government so you can’t live there. And deserts suck.

Awww fiddlesticks, every freedom fighter makes somebody miserable whether that someone is the Soviet Union, rich white South Africans, or Arcturus Mengsk. What makes you think these lulz guys are basing their behavior on misery? I get the feeling they don’t care how people feel one way or another. They seem to be completely free from sympathy or empathy and seem to just want to get a thrill from doing things without constraint.

sinister agent, your comment is woefully un-sinister.
      Freedom will be cracked down upon with or without excuses; that’s always been the case. And who are these “innocent” people whose business is being wrecked? Like hell is Blizzard an innocent bystander who’s just trying to make a living; they’re one of the most unscrupulous institutions in the history of gaming.
      Being a “dickhead” (which is subjective) and doing something for no reason is part of total freedom. Respectively: freedom from social norms and freedom from reason or logic. (Juveniles tend to act like idiots precisely to get that sense of freedom.)
      As for you, you’re free to a degree, Sweet Cheeks McGee, but you’re not absolutely unrestrained. You let the will and rules of others constrain your behavior, and that may make you a decent and nice person, but it still keeps you from being absolutely free.

• skraeling says:

Artum, ummmm I think extra credits is banal and vapid.

“…personal liberty is not to be used as a shield against blatant disregard for others.” Why not? What’s the logic behind that? I ask because any institution can use your logic to defend itself against legitimate freedom movements.

I don’t think this behaviors justified for being on the internet; I just see it as a good sign of the freedom people can express on the internet without being restricted or censored by more powerful individuals/organizations.

• Davie says:

Wait, so if these attacks signify their withdrawal from the standards of our society, and the internet is the new frontier, does that mean I can track them down and shoot them if I don’t like what they’re up to?

The problem with people who believe in absolute freedom is that they believe it should only apply to them.

• Artum says:

Unless you process your own feces, clean your own water, farm your own food, mine your own stone, make your own tools, build your own house, perform your own medicine, transmit the data you and your pathetic blog use to voice your small minded selfish asinine views then no, you don’t get complete-freedom.

You haven’t earned it. You forget how its not free?

• sinister agent says:

Oh, I get it, you’re a philosophy student. Well, good luck.

• skraeling says:

Davies, I don’t know how you’d manage to shoot them on the internet. But if you wanted to do it in real life I suppose you could. If you could do so without consequences then I’d say you’re free as a bird.

Artum, you answered “no, you don’t” to a question I didn’t even ask. As for my asinine blog, did you even read the “About Site” section?

sinister agent, your responses are progressively becoming less sinister.
      :,(

• deejayem says:

“They seem to be completely free from sympathy or empathy and seem to just want to get a thrill from doing things without constraint.”

That is, of course, the definition of a sociopath. There are different degrees of freedom – freedom to do what you want, but also freedom from poverty/hunger, freedom from fear, freedom to build something without having someone else come and knock it over just because they get a kick out of it. Society is a contract whereby we all willingly give up a little of the former in order to gain a great deal of the latter.

• Ergates_Antius says:

“Am I the only one that’s happy with this sort of thing going on?”
      Well, you’re probably not the only stupid person in the world so, no.

I suppose you’d be happy if some local youths decided to express their desire for freedom by throwing a brick through your front window and pissing through your letterbox?

• jaheira says:

“Society is a contract whereby we all willingly give up a little of the former in order to gain a great deal of the latter.”

Maybe they never signed the contract. Maybe they resent others assuming they did.

• deejayem says:

In which case, as Artum says, they’re not entitled to the benefits that participating in society brings you. Pretty much everything we eat, use, live on or off is a collaborative endeavour. If you don’t want to participate in that endeavour, fair enough, but good luck making your way in the world alone. Otherwise you’re just another person loudly claiming your rights while desperately ignoring the responsibilities that come with those rights.

30. JFS says:

I don’t know whether I’m the only one, but I still think what they’re doing is, in a way, funny. Of course, it is not a grown-up way to behave, but they’re not really doing any damage. OK, they probably did with Bethesda, but I think they will keep the user details to themselves. I don’t understand how everyone is scolding them and acting all adult, we were all young once. I think the Lulzsec crusade will be over faster than it started, and then we’ll have silly season (if that is the correct translation of “Sommerloch”).

I don’t want to troll, I’m just surprised that the general opinion (at least here on RPS) is so unanimously against those guys. Of course they are stupid and young and bored, but some of their behaviour carries a certain air of humour. This, and I’m irritated that everyone around here seems to be on The Man’s side and crying for law enforcement and hard jurisdiction. Erm. For a schoolboy prank? Really?

• Berious says:

It really ceases to be schoolboy pranks when you’ve got thousands of people all over the world worried about their personal data, cancelling credit cards and generally being screwed around because they had the temerity to subscribe to an online service. That’s to say nothing of the millions it must have cost Sony et al.

• Vague-rant says:

“Schoolboy pranks” can get out of control too, you know, after which you kind of have to suffer the consequences. And “we were all young once” isn’t exactly what I would call a bullet proof defence for every scenario.

• Resonance says:

I agree and disagree, on one hand your viewpoint is rather naive, on the other it’s somewhat sane.

Regardless the idea that they aren’t doing anything wrong is ridiculous, not only have they not kept user details to themselves [see the massive list of "releases" on their site.] But they damage both gamers enjoyment of games, but the ability to even play them [such as the crashing of Eve, LoL and Minecraft's login servers yesterday].

The idea that, because they’re apparently young [and we don't know that for certain - it could well just be an act], they should be excused, is ridiculous. These aren’t stupid attacks that don’t effect anyone, it’s still an invasion of privacy – having published thousands of names and passwords, and likely storing more. These releases also increase the risk of further attacks on people.

On the other-hand – you’re right in that it could all well end soon; and these sorts of attacks would seem much more threatening and intimidating to people without the obvious humor and persona they put out. Obviously what they really want is attention, and they’ve been given it in spades.

Though the original point stands, their actions are criminal – how else do you explain hacking into government sites? If it really was a few server crashes I’d be in full agreement, but it’s clearly not.

• RightOnTime says:

I don’t want admit it, but I sort of agree too. Everyone loves a good anti-hero , especially on t’internet (recommended reading: http://www.damninteresting.com/the-wrath-of-the-killdozer/).
      If they’d confined their pranks to the ‘big greedy corporations’ like EA and Activision without releasing anything too sensitive, it’d be a good laugh.

31. mmalove says:

I’m glad RPS is reporting this: tbh to stick one’s head in the sand and intentionally not report it gives them just as much attention. I wouldn’t have known they were attacking WOW today or EVE yesterday otherwise.

This is good for us. Be glad they are only aiming at game servers, and letting up on them. There is a serious vulnerability to our communications in general: banks, news, VOIP phone lines, etc: via these DDOS style attacks, that will only get increasingly more difficult to deal with as computers get faster. And a nerd can sit and preach about it all day long and not get through to someone, or a dweeb can screw up senator gamer’s WOW fix for the night and suddenly people wake up.

32. MythArcana says:

All these attacks are cute and all…and probably getting developers to crack down on security a bit more. This is a good thing. When they take out sT3@/\/\ for a few hours is when I sit down with some popcorn to truly enjoy the event.

33. Dreamhacker says:

No offfense to Lulzsec (wouldn’t want RPS taken down) but isn’t phone phreaking very… 1973?

34. RightOnTime says:

I for one am looking forward to picking up the LulzSec TF2 hat…

If this really is just a bunch of script kiddies on a power trip, it will have given some highly-paid network security ‘experts’ something to think about. Knocking out gaming websites is one thing, at least they showed some restraint with the NHS: http://i.imgur.com/PQ6Xk.png

35. Hypocee says:

New RPS tag: ProactiveUltimateTrollfeeding ?

36. Froibo says:

Heroes of Newerth has been under attack for about a month now. Wasn’t aware this was such a wide spread thing though. This is getting out of hand what is their, for lack of a better word, reason for all of this?

37. kimded says:

supposedly they’ve just done it to the cia website… which seems dumb. what I really hate is they have fans!

• psyk says:

Fans that willingly give them cash
      Fans that don’t seem to realize how much cash can be made from databases
      Fans that follow blindly without knowing what they are following
      Fans that can’t see where this could lead
      Fans that support blackmailers
      Fans that click on links they provide

• sinister agent says:

Oh man, I hope they try something with Mossad. It’d be amazing. Day one would be “LOLMG HACKING MOSSAD NOW”. By day three there’d be no evidence that any of them were ever born.

38. Big Murray says:

How many offensive messages per second are going to be left on that phone number’s answering machine?

39. ptitHom says:

I think they’d better stop before people think that all hackers are able to do what they do.

Comment on this story