There’s Also: Collapse: Devastated World

By Jim Rossignol on June 15th, 2011 at 10:16 am.

Fight, big man, fight!
Collapse: Devastated World is, as you might well be able to guess from the name, a game about post-apocalyptic shootbangs action. It might also be a good name for a kind of real-world Jenga sim, where you go around pulling out important bits of large buildings, but that’s not what this is about. Instead it’s about a large man, who is armed with swords and guns, and a “mysterious” apocalypse into which he must wade, weapons akimbo, to save humanity from certain unpleasantness.

The game is being developed by Ukrainian chaps Creoteam, and will be published by UTV Ignition in 2012 (it appears to have come out several years ago in CIS countries). The trailer below is extensive, and all game footage. It shows melee action – including some interest-stirring one-on-one duels – gun action, bullet time, boss fights, and a bunch of other stuff. We don’t get a lot of third-person action games on PC right now, but this one looks like it’ll be making up some ground.

, , .

1. CMaster says:

Creoteam feels like a very similar name to Croteam, it has to be said.

• Inigo says:

I myself was particularly fond of their debut game, Siliceous Sum.

• jon_hill987 says:

I actually read it as Croteam until I saw your comment…

• DevilSShadoW says:

i had to read that twice to make sure i was reading it correctly.

• JohnH says:

Hehe so I weren’t the only one then. Had to read that twice as well.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

First I didn’t read carefully and thought it was Croateam, then I read all your comments and understood it’s a different company, then I got confused about whether you’re being sarcastic and mocking Jim’s typo, then I… I think I’m still confused. :(

2. Protagoras says:

Seems like fun.

Does it have a solid story/feel/world/whatever?

• wkduffy says:

I played the game and reviewed it on my wordpress blog.

The PC version is only available right now in Russian, so I had to translate it into English to understand the story. It’s a general shooter, but I liked the apocalyptic story and characters, though it’s cliched in some ways. But there is definitely a story, and a kind of complex one too.

• Ex Lion Tamer says:

Thanks for linking your writeup, wkduffy. Definitely sounds (and looks) like my kind of game.

It’s interesting – I’ve long been a very traditional gamer (in a narrow geographic sense), playing lots of North American/Western European/Japanese stuff, but lately two out of every three games I’m drawn to are made by a Polish, Czech, Ukrainian, or Russian developer. I imagine the talent has always been there and the internet (+my ability to navigate it) is just making their work easier to hear about/find.

3. ChaosSmurf says:

… judging by the website and the end of the video, didn’t this come out 3 years ago?

4. Fedaykin says:

I haven’t seen footage of this in a long time. I thought it would be done by now. Anyway it look very nice, Lots of gameplay mechanics: flashy melle, shooting, special powers, destructability, the duel thing seems QTEish but I might be wrong.
    Hope there’s some vehicular gameplay also. Looking forward to it.

5. Vexing Vision says:

“Q3 2008″?

I don’t know, the combat lacks a bit of punch. That duel was looking really cool though, even if it seemed to be a QTE.

Sinomatic says:

I’m getting a Half life 2 crossed with Hellgate sort of vibe.

7. Muzman says:

Is that picture of a fight breaking out on the dancefloor at an Alien themed dress up party? (the only person who came as Ripley is taking his role very seriously)

Chaz says:

Yeah I too thought the screen shot made it look like he’d just made a major faux pas at the annual Aliens fan club convention.

• Hoaxfish says:

going by the hair.. he came as the Predator

8. mashakos says:

This is what a modern Streets of Rage would be like. They just need to work on the audio in future releases, and maybe add a spunky black kid on roller blades :)

Is this the English localised release? Would love to get it on Steam.

9. Uglycat says:

Somebody didn’t read the Rules for Evil Overlords (Rule 56)

10. lupusamicus says:

I have played the russian version, really a very nice solid third person shooter/slasher, you can choose how you like to play by choosing skills that are either melee or ranged (and you can’t learn them all in 1 playthrough ) and as the game progresses difficulty gets higher and you must use all of those skills and tricks you learn along the way to win, because it becomes quite punishing.
    The whole feel of the game is more like mixing darksiders game and stalker mythology.
    And it even has a sequel already which is even harder :)

11. spongthe1st says:

Anyone else getting a Garshasp vibe from this?

12. hydra9 says:

Comic books writer plays Russian demo, describes it as ‘solid enough’:

P.S. I’ve played it too. It’s alright.

13. Drake Sigar says:

2:18 “Try to duel me, will you?!”

*Proceeds to Indiana Jones his ass*

14. Teddy Leach says:

I do want.

15. DainIronfoot says:

Yay for more PC hack and slashes!

A nice mix of melee and gunplay too.

Hope it’s good! More of this sort of thing please!

16. Turkey says:

Getting an extreme late ’90s vibe from this one.

17. JohnnyMaverik says:

Shooting didn’t look great, everything else looked ok though, so it might end up being worth a go I guess.

18. SirKicksalot says:

Holy cow, I thought this will never come out in the West! I played the Russian version, very entertaining game. The melee action is excellent.

19. McDan says:

Looks entertaining, but for once I’d like a game where you play the character who is opposed to whatever some shadowy organisation is doing, so you start combating them etc. then defeat them or something but then find out they were actually the good guys and you were actually the evil guy, not the other way round like it usually is.

20. Comrade Communist says:

Wasn’t it released in 2008?… Because I even have both the game and addon for quite a long time.

21. Balm says:

Played it when it was released here and it felt very very meh.
    Most of enemies were divided in two simple groups: melee guys and ranged guys, melees were nearly immune to bullets and ranged people were nearly immune to your sword swings. Both kinds were heavely armed and took 15-20 seconds or more each to be taken down – made it very tedious.
    As good point I can only name nice reproduction of Kiev’s streets.

22. MadTinkerer says:

You know what this looks like? The game Duke Nukem Forever should have been. Here’s hoping the team hires someone good at writing witty dialogue.

23. magnus says:

Thank goodness it’s not an MMOFPS, now I’m interested.

24. wkduffy says:

Just wanted to throw this out to those generally interested in the game: I translated it into English (took a month), played it, and reviewed it on my WordPress blog:

Gabbo says:

I’ve been waiting for a proper English version of this to drop for some time. Can’t believe it actually is.

26. kud13 says:

I recall reading a review on a Russian site when this first came out. it was mediocre and buggy as hell (as all Uki games generally are)

since they are releasing this in the West 3 years later, hopefully the bugs have been ironed out and it sells well. I’d love to see more Ukrainian games in the market.

27. geldonyetich says:

Looks reasonably fun. I’ll be keeping my eye out for it.