Wot I Think: Red Faction Armageddon

By John Walker on June 15th, 2011 at 2:55 pm.

No hub? Are you mad?

Volition’s Red Faction: Armageddon has been out for a few days, surprising many with the direction it’s taken for its hammer/magnet based destruction. Having smashed every last thing from beginning to end, I’m now in a position to tell you Wot I Think.

Red Faction: Armageddon is extraordinary. No game has ever offered such destruction, let alone on such an epic scale. It’s ability to let you use the environment itself as your primary weapon is unsurpassed. The sense of sheer power, and constant, remarkable devastation, is a treat. Red Faction Armageddon, however, makes one big mistake: Red Faction Guerrilla.

If there were no expectations of the series, if this were the first game in a new franchise, it would be being heralded as one of the most pure fun corridor shooters in ages. Because it is, without a doubt, one of the most pure fun corridor shooters in ages. The problem is, it’s a corridor shooter, in a sequel to its gloriously open world predecessor. And it’s never clear why.

The setting is pure sci-fi hokem, the likes of which you’ve seen in a dozen Dune rip-offs. The surface of Mars is getting too dangerous for human life, the colonists have fled underground, and a new enemy is appearing in the form of some local beasties. Feeling responsible for the disaster, hero Darius Mason (indeed yet another in the Mason dynasty) sets about killing everything that’s spiny on his own.

The plot, such as it is, is convoluted and haphazard, muddling two or three main themes – fighting the evil Adam Hale, battling Martian creatures, rescuing various people – and the pacing is downright peculiar. It feels like it’s about to end multiple times from about the midway point onward, which ends up being confusing rather than frustrating.

But all of that can be ignored thanks to one thing: The Magnet Gun. It’s the best thing in a shooter since the Gravity Gun, and everything else I play from now on is going to feel like a relic. Given to you amazingly early on, this tool can attach one magnet to any destructible object or enemy, and then a second to anything else. The first is torn away to clash with the second with destructive force. Which means you get to smash up everything.

I barely used any of the very many other weapons, as fantastic as some of them are, because why would I want to do anything else but kill the enemies by pulling a bridge onto their heads? Why use the epic Singularity Canon when I can send a beast flying through the air to smash its brains out on the cave ceiling? Yes, it really is amazing that one of the game’s arachnoid mechanical walkers has a Napalm Laser, but I’ve got a tool that lets me pick up chunks of building and throw them at towering pylons.

Actually, I can’t take too much away from the Napalm Laser. What a toy. You get a few seconds to wave the laser beam around at all in front of you, and then everywhere it touched violently explodes. It’s insane, and enormously fun.

However, where the trusty magnet cannot distract you is from the dramatic change in direction for the series. When the game was first announced, revealing that it would be set underground, there were fears that this would mean the focus on destructible environments would be lost. That couldn’t be further from the truth. But what no one was expecting was that it would become a completely linear, zero-choice, straight-line shooter.

Guerrilla was a collection of challenges, spawning from a series of hubs. Alongside the main quest were many smaller tasks, usually involving destroying something in a particular way. There were enclaves to take over, buildings to wipe out using a limited number of ammo types, mech suit sections, and so on. They were challenges, set within the story’s larger world. And while some of those elements appear here, they’re tightly woven into the core path.

So there’s still a couple of sequences with a mech suit, and they’re still great fun. But they feel as if they were added in as an afterthought, “Well, we’d better have a couple of mech sections, I suppose.” Vehicles are only available when the level calls for it, rather than being something you can hop in to explore. And there are no mini-challenges whatsoever.

There’s also the rather peculiar addition of incessant cutscenes. And they’re weirdly implemented, too. Bothersomely stealing the controls from you far too often, they often feel disjointed, not quite matching up to the scene they took you from, or seeming to end nowhere near where you next start playing. A sequence may end with your reaching an elevator to take you to the surface, and then jump to a cutscene where you’re already up top, having been arrested. Huh?

That doesn’t mean it isn’t still enormously – no – rapturously fun to smash everything to smithereens. It’s such a ludicrous pleasure, ripping everything but for the cave walls themselves to pieces, scattering them across the vast caverns, obliterating waves of enemies as enormous structures come tumbling down. And this time you can tidy up after yourself!

You’ve this nano-doodah, which has various purposes. You can use its Impact function to blast away a large group of baddies, or suspend them in the air with X, both of which are enormous fun. But best of all is Restore. Hold this down and you’ll start putting everything back where it was, the buildings restoring themselves around you piece by piece. It’s an incredible site, walls, structures, and most importantly, pathways slotting themselves back together. In a game where just about everything can be thrown around, that means the paths and ramps too. And you might be needing those later. Running along as you recreate a walkway in front of you is pure damned magic, and made me feel like the greatest wizard every single time.

It’s also a great means of ensuring you have cover during the more intense firefights, of which there are an awful lot. And indeed more stuff to pick up and throw at the vast plant-like towering creatures that are throwing scenery back at you. Other enemies move amazingly well, leaping from wall to wall, zipping at remarkable speeds, making excellent foils. And making it all the more satisfying when you catch them with the magnet and fling them into the distance.

However, as you’re taking great relish in bringing down a four-storey building, collecting he nanergy drops to let you unlock further abilities and bonuses, the game will not stop nagging you.

Where Guerrilla rewarded you mightily for wiping out everything you saw, Armageddon (why do they pick subtitles I can never spell first time? – the next game is bound to be called Red Faction: Manoeuvres) seems to get actively annoyed with you for hanging around. At any point you can hit Tab to see the highlight path you should take (while the game is undeniably linear, there are dead ends and occasional alternative paths), but this feature starts frantically firing itself off, while an on-screen message insists that you complete the next task. On top of this your buddies on the radio will start shouting at you to get on with it. And you’ve got SAM, your Situation and Awareness Module computer buddy, starts telling you off as well. It’s ridiculous.

It’s also worth noting that with Volition’s promises to treat the PC as an equal, it runs utterly smoothly, switches between PC and 360 controls seamlessly, and runs wonderfully in a borderless window. It’s a shame that you’ll still be clicking to start, and be constantly warned not to switch off your system while it’s saving – it would have been nice if they could have cleared that up.

Which all leaves Armageddon in a strange place. Were it not for its past, this would be celebrated for what it is, and perhaps it should be. But it’s impossible not to miss what’s lost. Convinced that at some point the seeming base my buddies were in would eventually become my hub, I was inevitably disappointed to learn otherwise. And being underground, the opportunities for the variety of locations the previous game offered are gone, leaving you with mostly blue and brown.

But that doesn’t mean I didn’t have an often fantastic time as I smashed and crashed through the ten-or-so hours. I really did. Certainly it reaches a point of extreme padding in the final stretch, with interesting boss fights (no, really – and even with checkpoints midway through) and a fun boat-riding sequence breaking up some extremely repetitive combat sequences. It also seems to forget itself, offering less stuff to fling around, forcing you to rely on weapons and shields. The very final battle obviously should have been a destruction special, asking you to demolish some vast building, but sadly is nothing of the sort. In fact, it’s a bit of a repetition of an earlier sequence.

That’s the Red Faction: Armageddon experience, really. It feels great, it’s an unquestionably extraordinary achievement of destruction fun, but then you want to tag something on the end saying where it falls short. Which probably isn’t fair. In isolation, a completely top fun shooter. In the RF series, a peculiar direction. Worth playing? I say so.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. McDan says:

In comparison to the first one then, which one would be worth a buy? As I haven’t played either.

• Cooper says:

Don’t play the first one, or this one. Get the seoncd; Red Faction: Guerilla. That’s the open-world one involving lots of tactical, and not so tactical, destruction of property. Super fun times. Also, it’ll be super-cheap by now.

• Stranglove says:

Just for the record, Guerrila was the third, the second is not worth looking at.

• Theodoric says:

Red faction: Guerrilla is actually the third game in the series. Come on guys, Red Faction II came out at about the same time as the first CoD, it’s not that old and obscure.

• Eschatos says:

First, Red Faction Guerilla was the third game in the series. Second, the first two games are still quite good early 2000s shooters in the vein of Half Life. If you enjoyed Half Life at all then you’ll probably like Red Faction.

• ichbinspikeface says:

yorp… i picked up guerilla off steam for a paltry $3.75… and dare i say it… i quite like linearity in certain games…

• Bilbo says:

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say I think by the “first one” McDan meant Guerilla

• McDan says:

Don’t know why I said the first, I’ve still got that on ps2, I meant how does it compare to guerilla.

• Aemony says:

McDan, you said it since you had just read the article. “Red Faction Armageddon, however, makes one big mistake: Red Faction Guerrilla.” Since the article makes an comparison between the two you put them together in a sentence where the first one is Guerrilla and the second one is Armageddon.

• McDan says:

Yes, I knew that, thanks.

• Foosnark says:

Nope. Loved Half-Life, thought RF II was close to unplayable by the time I got around to trying it. And then thought RF Guerilla was pretty seriously awesome.

• Brutal Deluxe says:

And look at that, I had RF:G in my steam library the whole time and never even knew what it was! Well I guess that’s going to be next on my list.

2. LionsPhil says:

…the dramatic change in direction for the series.

…become a completely linear, zero-choice, straight-line shooter.

…ten-or-so hours.

In fact, this sounds quite a lot like the first game. Save perhaps that apparently GeoMod got turned off for the rockfaces right from the start.

• crainey92 says:

All I remember of the first game was settling up like cave men with my buddies in a cave system still red hot from my rocket-launcher. Although when we talk about linear story and Red Fraction I can definitely associate that with the second game, that’s not to say it wasn’t good though because it most definitely was.

• Lambchops says:

You mean you don’t remember attaching mines to people and watching them comically run around screaming?

That was the best bit (if you happen to be somewhat bloodthirsty)!

• Brumisator says:

Haha, you wrote the same exact words I wanted to post. Kudos to you!

I don’t know if I’ll play this game any time soon, or ever at all, as I have quite a backcatalogue building up, and I’m sightly disapointed it’s a linear shooter now, but eh…still looks like a fun game.

• Dhatz says:

Miner Wars will have us digging caves in asteroids, but thats distant future.

3. magnus says:

Well it’s this or FEAR 3 for me. (for now)

4. Branthog says:

I don’t get it. Every review I read acts like the last one was amazing, but all the complaints off this one easily apply to the last. Having played it, I just have to ask them why it took them two games to realize how dull it is.

• skinlo says:

Well it seems the majority of people enjoy destroying buildings.

• YourMessageHere says:

Ah good, it’s not just me then. Guerilla was fun for a while, and the destruction was excellent, but it was really bad at making an open world that seemed like a world and not a series of interconnected romping arenas that existed solely to amuse me. Your Fallout 3s and your GTAs do at least manage to convey a decent impression that stuff is happening without my intervention. RFG was simply a big dead area with random traffic and NPCs that stood about doing nothing, with total stasis outside my draw distance. Making me run here there and everywhere might keep me busy but before long, in a world that sterile, it just pisses me off. This sounds like an evolution in terms of gameplay, compared to RFG.

Is there any multiplayer? What’s it like?

• TheTourist314 says:

@YourMessageHere

I just finished RF:A just now and I thought it was fantastic. I got pretty bored after a few hours in RF:Guerilla, so honestly, this corridor-driven game was a welcome change of pace. I’m a huge sucker for cheesy sci-fi stories, so Darrius Mason’s goofy personality in conjunction with just all the sheer destruction and alien murdering was right up my alley. I felt like the game didn’t overstay its welcome though if you had the right combination of weapons and upgrades, the game became kind of easy by the end.

When did “linear” become such a bad word these days? I get so sick of open world games these days all thinking they can fix all the problems of their predecessors but giving too much freedom for me prevents me from doing anything but screwing around all the time (see GTA4). I don’t mind a good linear game as long as you make it interesting, exciting and fun.

I highly recommend this game.

5. Ian says:

Armageddon the feeling you like the game.

Sorry.

6. Branthog says:

“But…but…that’s what the very first game in the series was. (Something I need to replay, in fact: I remember it being pretty fun, despite being appalled that a full price game was over in a single weekend.)”

Isn’t that almost every game? Other than the Witcher, I can’t think of the last game that took me more than two or three sittings (and I suck at games).

7. CMaster says:

I don’t get the “press start to start thing”. Why would I ever want that, on console or PC. From starting the game, straight to the menu please. The only exception really should be games that don’t have a menu, just fling you in straight away – then I can understand having one of those screens. The rest of the time, it appears to be a platform owner enforced bit of player time wasting.

Also, female character in that last shot has a face that is both pretty and surprisingly convincing, (especially comapred to mister Scowling Diesel at the top) if movie-makeup look.

• RebelMoogle says:

This is actually necessary to implement on consoles to find out which controller the main player is using. It’s also required by Microsofts Guidelines or you won’t be allowed to release your game on the Xbox360.

This is the easiest and most widely used method to find out which Controller is the main one.
      You’re right that on the PC there is usually no point of this, except if you have multiple controllers connected, then you’ll have the same issue.

• skorpeyon says:

Though RebelMoogle’s comment makes me understand this screen better, I do agree that it never made sense to me (until now of course) unless it were a game that started off with some kind of sequence showing me the world, or more about the story, or the game itself when left to run. I rather like the visuals that most companies would put in those parts of the game. But when the “press start” screen is essentially the menu with the menu options hidden or just the logo for the game itself it does bother me a bit.

• mwoody says:

Also, sometimes there would be a difference between the “push start” screen and the one that followed it: the demo. If you pressed nothing, it would quickly start showing footage from the game or other eyecatches, the assumption being that it’s in a show cabinet in a store somewhere. Though sometimes modern games will go to the demo even after you’ve pushed start, which always bothered me (especially when said demo includes spoilers!).

• arccos says:

Ehhh… still doesn’t quite make sense. Just assume the first movement on the menu or in game made by any input is the primary input device, and go from there. Is there a problem with that?

Doesn’t really work on PCs, though, since mouse + kb are actually two devices, and to compound that some people navigate the menus with the mouse and play with a different device. Some games handle the input swapping really smoothly, and I always smile when I see it.

8. TotalBiscuit says:

Yeah it’s basically the first game, but in third person.

Which is fine in it’s own right. Guerilla often felt directionless and repetitive, as good a game as it was. Armageddeon is highly entertaining and seems for the most part to be well placed.

• Cooper says:

It was only repetitive if you approached everything the same way.

The game gives you all manner of destructive possibilities. Mix em up!

I’m of the opinion that RF: Guerilla, like Just Cause, 2, is one of those games that benefits from playing on the lowest difficulty and just arsing about in the world.

Blowing property up is so much more fun when you can just shrug off incoming fire and concentrate on punching holes in walls…

• sasayan says:

That’s a problem a lot of sandbox type games seem to have. Developers seem to think players want non-stop fighting and throw enemies at then constantly. They’re afraid the toys and environment aren’t interesting enough on their own, and the game ends up getting in the way of the fun.

• Hunam says:

It’s a bit of a misnomer than RFG is about shooting dudes though. It does swarm you with baddies, but it’s actually quite easy to give them the slip, meaning you’ve diverted all their forces away from your objective. Plus the game then swarms loads of the Red Faction against the EDF, meaning you’ve basically kicked off a skirmish, which is actually the cover you need to use often to get anywhere in the game.

The reason you have so little ammo in RFG is because the game was based on the idea of causing chaos, then using that to your advantage to accomplish your mission. Granted the game never expressed this to the player but next time you play RFG think about it like that and you’ll love the crap out of it.

• TotalBiscuit says:

@sasayan – the game has an entire mode dedicated to just blowing stuff up with no enemies so I Don’t think that’s really the case.

• Daniel Rivas says:

I spent most of guerrilla getting shot to bits by baddies until I put it on easy. But still a great game, despite the horrendous PC port. It wouldn’t work in fullscreen, so I had to play it in a maximised window. Bizarre.

9. frenz0rz says:

Bit of a shame they ditched the open-worldiness of Guerrilla. One of my favourite aspects of that game was driving from one area to another and witnessing the path of destruction I had wrought on my march to freedom – shattered remnants of towering buildings; propaganda signs riddled with holes; and the remains of that HUGE suspension bridge whose supports I had dissolved with my nano-wotsit. Man, destroying that thing had to be one of the most joyous and gleeful experiences I’ve ever had in gaming.

10. Moni says:

I think I can understand the decision to make it more of a corridor shooter, the open worldiness didn’t really work in Guerilla; it was just a bit sparse, and you spent a bit too much time traipsing across an old, dusty, desert planet.

I had a lot of fun playing Guerilla, but I don’t think I can bring myself to go back to it. Armageddon sounds like a good way to get back to things exploding and collapsing.

• Jesse L says:

Yup. Sparse is the right word. Didn’t we all get together and complain about how crummy that open world felt when the Guerrilla came out? And now apparently we miss it so much? I didn’t like it. Spent lots of time driving past a lot of identical buildings in three or four nearly identical vehicles.

I had such a good time with the demo of Armageddon I couldn’t believe every news site wasn’t clamoring about it. The magnet gun and the repair function are, together, so very very satisfying – some of the best toys yet in gaming. If you’re interested in that kind of thing, at least don’t skip the demo, if you have a chance to play it.

• Hunam says:

My thoughts on the demo were: This is great fun, but it would be more fun if all this happened in first person.

• TotalBiscuit says:

@Hunam I disagree, third person perspective gives a better view of the destruction in my honest opinion.

• Hunam says:

I just thought he was in the way of my camera most of the time in the demo. He’s so massively close up that I felt like I was missing a chuck of real estate.

• Wulf says:

Not particularly in defence of or against any particular game, but I’d like to say that I actually liked the world layout of Guerilla, it actually handled hard-science in an appreciable way.

One of the things I liked Guerilla was one of the things I liked about Mass Effect, and Star Trek: The Next Generation. When you’re colonising a new world, you’re going to have a hell of a lot of identikit stuff, the reason for this is because if A is the same as B, and parts C and D are designed to be modularly slotted into A and/or B, then you’re going to have them looking very much the same. It’s easier to mass produce colonisation kits that way than trying to, say, add a distinct looking church and hospital to every colonisation kit.

In Mass Effect, it looked pretty much like people had just deployed colonisation kits on new worlds. Something you drop in and it unpacks itself or you unpack it. Remember the replicated colonisation houses from Star Trek? They worked the same way. Very identikit-ish stuff. Customisation only happens really once you’ve had a chance to make a world yours, and more so if property laws and capitalism are in full swing on those worlds. However, on a new colony, people tend to just be thinking about their roles, jobs, and staying alive. So the identikit feeling of all the architecture is going to stick around for probably 3 generations or so before real customisation starts setting in.

It might even go 5-10 generations in some cases because the necessity to build a house yourself from whatever materials you have, thus adding your own personal, artistic touches to the very architecture of that house is negated by the fact that your colonisation kit has provided you with a perfectly good house as-is, and even if you did try to build a house, it’s likely not going to be better anyway. And there’s every chance that it’ll be a heck of a lot worse.

You’ll get some people trying it anyway, but as I said, they’ll be concentrating on their jobs first and actually staying alive, making sure that the colony is survivable, and doing their jobs. Customisation to that degree is a luxury that few people will permit themselves to engage in until the colony is safe, secure, and stable.

Now, the trick here is is that Mars is a mining colony, not a living colony, so capitalism wouldn’t be in full swing there except for providing some amenities for the workers to buy, they’re used to being hard-nosed and working with the bare necessities. It’s still a relatively new colony too according to the Red Faction timeline, so the world itself is still going to feel identikit. Where are these people going to get the resources from to customise to the degree where a colony kit wouldn’t look samey? The reason that wind farm looks exactly like the last ten wind farms you saw is because it’s easier to mass produce that way, and all those wind farms were likely produced at the same time, via the same methods, by the same company.

And the same thing applies to cars, when you’re talking about pragmatic functionality you’re only going to need three or four sorts of vehicle to do all the jobs you need to do on a mining colony, you won’t need to visually customise things. Interestingly, this is why the charr only have a certain number of models of vehicle in the Black Citadel – because as a war machine it’s easier for them to settle down into a good design and then to mass produce it. Customisation is something that only needs to happen for a customer, and a charr warrior isn’t going to care whether their car has plush seats or a built-in MP3 player, it’s all about functionality over form.

A colony, again, works in much the same way. You won’t get more vehicle types than you actually need to do the job. Does the job only require four distinct sorts of vehicles? Right! The colony kit is thus only going to include four sorts of vehicles, but a LOT of those four sorts of vehicles, again, this is because it’s easier to mass produce something when there’s no customisation involved. A Mars worker isn’t going to care about weighing up whether a car is faster or slower, which is the most economical, which is better for the environment, which is the most comfortable, or what have you – it’ll just be that they’ll take what’s provided so long as it gets the job done.

And the four sorts of vehicles provided get the job done.

Now, even moreso on Mars you’re dealing with a fascist regime, and they’re going to not give their workers any more tools than they need to. If they know exactly what parts are in all their buildings, cars, and tools, then it becomes easier to predict what a rebel uprising will do with them and it would be easier to design things to your advantage. For example, having miner vehicles being designed to be weak to EDF gunfire, but having EDF vehicles designed to be resistant to it.

Considering the nature of this colony, it’s all about control, and this only further reinforces the identikit nature of everything. It’s just about mining, they want those resources mined, and at the end of the day if something gets the job done then they don’t need to provide anything for their miners beyond that. And their miners are used to the more pragmatic, practical mineset where they make the best use of the tools they have, and of working together for the desired outcome.

In fact, ironically, not introducing their miners to a lot of capitalism or any amount of opulence is probably what caused them to become a sort of a pseudo-communist, worker-driven uprising. The workers simply believe that as workers they’re all entitled to better working conditions.

But yeah, given that the EDF is something of a fascist regime, and that this is a new colony, the whole identikit appearance and the limited amount of vehicles on offer made sense. If this had been a brand new colony with already customised towns and lots of different sorts of vehicles then I would’ve probably had my suspension of disbelief shattered by that a bit. It certainly wasn’t interesting to look at, no, I completely agree with that, but I think that given the setting to work with, the designers actually did what they were supposed to, which is my opinion on the matter.

• mwoody says:

My answer is a bit shorter: just because I complain about my job doesn’t mean I’d prefer prison.

• Stellar Duck says:

@Wulf: Thank you. I was about to say something similar, even so far as mentioning Mass Effect. Saved me some time there mate. Thanks! :D

• Urthman says:

Wulf, I agree that the plot and setting and world building in Guerilla were well above average for science fiction in video games. The voice acting was all pretty good (or at least never painful).

• Nogo says:

Quality read Wulf.

Although, I found the sparsest sections mars itself. While it kind of makes sense that mars is flat and desolate, I was expecting a little more detail and variation. It felt like rolling hills rather than a martian surface of rutted, alien geology. It becomes really evident when trying to find a good ambush spot for those pesky convoys.

11. Nallen says:

Well I’ve never played a Red Faction game and had zero expectations of this so consider me pleasantly surprised. Sounds like fun times.

12. johnpeat says:

Y’know I’m in 2 minds here – I loved the tools that RF:G put into your hands BUT the game wrapped around them was infested with GTA-like tiresome nonsense like “drive around a lot”, “protect the stupid AI”, “find the shiny rocks”, “knock down the propaganda posters” etc. etc..

It got pretty tedious before you were anywhere near finished…

The ‘arcade’ bit of it is probably it’s best part – the “how much destruction can you do in a set period” stuff, it’s so much fun.

So they’ve taken the tools and made a corridor shooter – isn’t necessarily a bad thing IMO – it was either that or massively improve the ‘openworld’ thing to remove the tiresome, repetitive bits…

13. Jumwa says:

A shame on the open-world aspect, as I adored that in Guerilla. Geurilla grabbed me in a way the previous RF titles never did. In fact, I might go play it again now.

Regardless, it’s fun so that’s grand, I’ll pick it up sometime when it goes on sale cheap.

14. Dominic White says:

I’ve got a rental copy of this in the post right now. It looks like the perfect rental game, really – beatable in a couple of days, not huge replay value, very limited multiplayer, but from what I’ve heard it’s a very solid and enjoyable romp.

Pity you can’t rent PC games, really.

15. Hunam says:

Being hassled to get on with the objective is actually one of the worst things in gaming. SupCom was fucking terrible for it. It basically stop outright of calling you a cunt in some instances and it just wound me up. I honestly can’t stand software hassling me and telling me what to do. Ask the stern lady on my satnav, she knows my temper in this regard.

16. Spooty says:

I will try this, Mr. Walker.

17. wodin says:

I’m having fun with it at the moment…though I never played the others…I to love the magnet gun….though I was playing Bulletstorm aswell (which I have just finished) and out of the two Bulletstorm was even more fun…

18. Chizu says:

I’ve played all the RF games, and am enjoying this one alot.
    Didn’t really feel dissapointed by its linearity, I alreayd knew it was going to be like that from what we had heard about it before hand.
    Besides, in the Red Faction series, Geurilla is teh odd one out, as its the only non-linear sandbox game in the series :v

Trouble is, alot of people don’t seem to realize the first 2 games even exist.

19. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. says:

If I look at it as what it is it is a brilliantly fun game and I enjoyed every second of it I played.

When I look at it in the context of the other Red Faction games it does fall a bit short and take a step back. Not enough to make me regret my purchase though.

20. Turin Turambar says:

I agree with him about the weapons, they are awesome. But the rest of the game is not.

The pace is uneven. The enemies are not that fun to kill. You can only have 4 weapons (what’s the point of having 15 awesome weapons!). There is no variety in the missions. Movement is a bit floaty, fov is too narrow. It’s linear.

Etc.

• 0p8 says:

“You can only have 4 weapons (what’s the point of having 15 awesome weapons!)”

excactly how many weapons do you think is acceptable to carry at any one time? 5,7,15???

four is plenty enough, add that to the fact that you can swap out your weapon choice at FREQUENT points in the game and its actually very genorous.

21. Walsh says:

Another example of stupid dev’s making stupid changes to their successful games for no good stupid reason. Looking at you, Dragon Age 2, etc.

Also, there needs to be a goddamn law against adding aliens in your sequel. IT RUINED THE COLD WAR MOON FIGHTS OF BATTLEZONE!

• Dominic White says:

So, did you read any of the comments pointing out that Armageddon is actually much closer to the original Red Faction than anything? And that Guerilla was the one that threw everything away and changed the whole structure of the game?

Facts getting in the way of a good rant? No problem! Keep on truckin’

• TotalBiscuit says:

Well, this kind of nonsense is to be expected by someone who thought Battlezone 2 wasn’t a good game. There’s no helping some people.

• Walsh says:

I played Red Faction 1 and 2.

Red Faction: Guerilla was not billed as a sequel to Red Faction 1 and 2.

My rant was about a sequel to a successful game. They declared Red Faction: Armageddon as the sequel to Red Faction: Guerilla. They said it would still retain some open world elements.

And it is not in fact closer to the original Red Faction in any way except for name and location. Red Faction 1 dealt with the overthrow of a tyrannical blahblah, did not have aliens, was a first person shooter.

Red Faction: Armageddon is a third person shooter with goddamn aliens.

Get your facts straight.

• Dominic White says:

Red Faction: Guerilla was not billed as a sequel to Red Faction 1 and 2.

And yet it begins with a summary of the plot of Red Faction 1 & 2. And you can collect audio tapes in the game that tie the story of the previous two games into Guerilla.

Again, there’s this whole facts/rant thing going on…

• Walsh says:

What the? Battlezone 2 was a bug-ridden mess and earned mediocre to bad reviews. Some fan is still releasing patches for it. I remember feeling the burn as I had pre-ordered it on the strength of Battlezone alone.

It was ok in the end but when it was first released, it was a god awful disappointment. Bad game made awesome retro vision amazes me sometimes.

Your argument makes no sense Dominic, Red Faction Armageddon was billed as a sequel to Red Faction Guerilla.

Red Faction: Guerilla was the 3rd game but it was not billed as the sequel to Red Faction 2. More like inspired by.
      They changed the good elements from RF:G for the bad RF:A, the end.

• Sentient Waffle says:

I agree Walsh, they improve on a lot in Armageddon, the destruction, tools, nanoforge etc. but they also remove the best part of Guerrilla; The open-world destruction.
      And they add freaking aliens. God those damned aliens are so boring and annoying to fight.
      Two stupid, big mistakes, aliens that are both boring and annoying, and caverns that are just boring, sadly these issues prevent me from recommending this game, get Guerrilla instead, you’ll have more and bigger fun in that.
      PS. the story is pretty dull and disjointed, and I didn’t care for the characters at all, not even the otherwise pretty Kara, but then again, I didn’t play it for the story

• Nogo says:

Honestly it seems like someone cooked up the magnet gun and found it so fun Volition decided to make a game around it, because all the changes are totally so the magnet gun is awesome.

Had to be underground because the MG really shines with an overhead environment, to the point it’s actually kind of frustrating on the surface.

The aliens had to be there because puny humans are nothing compared to the god like MG power. The short human section in RFA is a nice reprieve because the poor cultists are like wet paper.

And there’s no way it could be open like Guerilla (despite being an awesome idea that should have been given another shot) because you could stand outside the bases opting to unite the top floor with the first via the MG’s persuasion.

22. Gap Gen says:

Fucking magnet guns, how do they work?

23. Hunam says:

Also, I can’t buy this on Steam in the UK. It’s another one of these Brink/Homefront style bullshit fests again?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE JUST TELL RETAIL TO BURN PC DEVS.

24. Casimir Effect says:

Surely it can be argued that this game complements Guerilla then, rather than repeating it but with a new silly story and different guns?

I’m happier it’s a linear affair as, fun though Guerilla was, my attention in giant sandbox games is rarely held for long these days. Having the spare time to run around a large area doing the same thing 50 times in order to progress is a luxury I experience too little.

• Steven Hutton says:

Red Faction: Guerilla was never a problem in that regard for me. I’m quite happy to do the same thing a million times as long as the thing I’m doing is smashing things to bits with my space hammer.

• Dominic White says:

Armageddon is twice as smashy as the Guerrilla, honestly. Your hammer is pretty weak in comparison to your pseudo-gravity-gun wotsit, and then you’ve got the infinite-ammo magnet gun, which is amazingly good at wrecking the environment. Half the time, the game seems to be encouraging you to completely level everything in your way, because… hell, it’s the end of the world – what else are you going to do?

• Eukatheude says:

Guerrilla got me bored after ten or so hours. It’s fun, but it really gets repetitive and grindy. I only wish the buildings were more various, or their destruction mechanic less tedious. I mean come on, they should collapse way before you leave only those 2-3 pilars standing.

25. Symbul says:

The lack of open world elements actually sounds good for a change. I really disliked Guerilla.

26. Squishpoke says:

I’ll buy this just for the magnet gun.

27. Fwiffo says:

So, this has the elements I like from both the first and third games, while being just what I expected judging from the trailers? All righty then, I’ll buy this and have the fun I was expecting.

Carry on with your unfocused rage RPS folk.

28. meatshit says:

It’s a shame you didn’t bring up Mr. Toots, the second best thing in a shooter since the gravity gun.

29. cornflakes says:

“It’s an incredible site,”

I don’t know if this is a British vs American English thing that I am unaware of (I did google it and couldn’t find anything), but shouldn’t it be “sight”? Please delete this comment after you’ve fixed it or smacked me down.

Thanks.

• Gregorix says:

@Cornflakes – I saw that as well, maybe its a pun on Building site?
      Or a cock-up

• YourMessageHere says:

No, that’s not US english, it’s just a cock-up, much like the misplaced apostrophe in the third sentence, the commas preceding ‘and’, the ‘he’ instead of ‘the’ and probably some other stuff I missed because I wasn’t reading closely.

Seriously, RPS people, I can copy-edit and proofread. I’m open to negotiation, if you want my services. Because you do need them.

30. vodka and cookies says:

Yeah switch to a linear shooter was a strange choice after the success of Guerrilla, it’s almost like history repeating after the big hit that was Red Faction 1 Volition did Red Faction 2 and it bombed despite being a decent game.

I played Armageddon and it was a fun game, the descent level was a nice call back.

I’m guessing those who did Guerrilla are busy finishing Saints Row 3.

31. 0p8 says:

this is excactly Wot i think too….pretty much identicle point of view to the summary i left on metacric.
    really fun game with awseome magnet physics to play with!

32. Navagon says:

Unexpected. Then again, so was Guerilla (or however they misspell it).I like open world games, so the direction isn’t entirely welcome. But it sounds like a good enough game in its own right.

33. Kolchak says:

Happy to see that I’m not the only one who is enjoying this game. Yes it doesn’t reinvent anything but it doesn’t deserve the bashing it’s receiving. It’s a solid game and just a lot of fun.

34. Scandalon says:

No demo for PC, why should I buy this? (Sure, maybe on a sale…)

35. Eraysor says:

Two crippling factors for me ruin this game. Firstly, no proper deathmatch/CTF etc. multiplayer that was available in Guerrilla, which I really liked. Secondly, it’s not on Steam.

36. Thants says:

Why do games do this? Both Dirt 2 and 3 actually stop the game loading to make you acknowledge that you won’t unplug your computer while its saving, every single time. It just comes across like the game is needy and in need of constant reassurance. I don’t understand it.

• whydidyoumakemeregister says:

You don’t think the developers of Dirt “Awesome finish! You’re a real pro out there, I’m glad to be on your team! You’re one of the big boys now!” 2 and 3 crave constant reassurance?

• Dominic White says:

If you power off while it’s in the middle of writing a save file, voila – instant corrupt save! Managed to lose a Terraria world to a storm-induced power flicker that way recently.

• Thants says:

You may have a point there, whydidyoumakemeregister.

37. StingingVelvet says:

This entire WIT seems to be built on the idea of linear automatically being worse than open-world, which is a premise I do not grant.

38. MrPants says:

Red Faction: Bureaucrat is going to be the most kickarse sci fi universe in which you use physics to destroy people’s faith in humanity.

39. Bob says:

Oh good lord! Mr. Toots. LOL

Does anyone else feel the two final levels may have been a tad long? I’m playing a second time and having a blast (pun intended) with the Napalm Laser. If the game was a little less linear it would be awesome. It’s fun as it is though.

40. JuJuCam says:

Some sort of modding is possible in RFG right? What are the chances some intrepid modder will plug the new weapons into the old game and give us the best of both worlds?

Comment on this story