Crying Out Loud: Another Crysis Map Pack

By Quintin Smith on June 16th, 2011 at 2:49 pm.

I like soldiers, best of all the animals

Did you buy the Crysis 2 ‘Retaliation’ map pack last month? Then you’ll probably be pleased to know that a second one, the ‘Decimation’ pack, has just gone on sale. Once again it’ll cost you $10, though this time you’re getting five new maps (instead of four) and two new weapons- the FY71 assault rifle and smoke grenades.

Tell you what, no video game smoke grenade will ever top the ones that were in the unpatched release of legendarily buggy 2004 soldier sim Söldner. Every so often you’d throw one that didn’t run out of smoke. Ever. It would just sit there, slowly filling the entire level with an opaque fog for minutes on end until the rendering engine crashed.

Wow, I was all set to write something cynical about how all these maps share a hell of a lot of textures but then the trailer dropped “Home In at the APARTMENTS!” Haha! Ah.

We’ve most recently been looking at Crysis 2 because of the strange mystery of it being pulled from Steam, and not, as we first thought, because EA were pushing their own Origin download service.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Bhazor says:

Crysis 2 is one online shooter that really deserves alot more love. But $10 for five maps? Fuck. That. Shit.

2. jon_hill987 says:

Paid for map packs ruin multi-player games as they split the community. Discuss.

• subedii says:

What’s there to discuss? That’s usually pretty much all there is to it. Unless your name is Call of Duty and you’ve got sales in the bajillions, map packs like this tend to be harmful to the overall multiplayer community because of the split playerbase.

• Alexander Norris says:

Yeah, this isn’t a “discuss” thing at all. You stated a fact. “Discuss” is for opinions. :P

• AlabasterSlim says:

These don’t really split the community very much because nobody buys them and the servers just don’t run the maps.

• Phinor says:

There actually isn’t much support for Cod map packs either. On the PC that is. Most servers simply don’t run DLC maps so even when you buy the map packs, you rarely get to play them.

It’s a really broken concept. Someone needs to fix it.

• phosgene says:

Like charging server admins for the maps instead of players?

• jon_hill987 says:

@phosgene: That could almost work.

• subedii says:

Wouldn’t work. No servers console-side.

3. MeestaNob says:

Any chance a upcoming patch for Crysis 2 will add in Origin support/requirement and Valve (rightly) kicked up a stink?

I honestly cant believe these idiots have allowed their game to be taken off the leading digital distribution platform on the planet, especially before the mega summer sale where Steam makes the GDP of Venezuela.

• TheApologist says:

Yep – for me at least, this was a game that had steam sale written all over it.

Now, the chances of them getting any money from me are pretty small.

• HermitUK says:

I wonder if Valve have updated their terms to say that if you sell your game via Steam, you also have to offer your DLC on Steam as well. Difficult to retroactively apply this to everything on Steam already, but it would certainly be in Valve’s interest to ensure those DLC purchases were made through them going forward. This might also explain why Fable 3′s DLC is on Steam despite it being a GFWL title.

The timing of Crysis 2′s removal and the release of this DLC is rather coincidental if the two events aren’t related in some way.

• FD says:

@HermitUK
      The timing is awful coincidental with a number of things which makes figuring anything out tricky.

The problem I have with the DLC theory is that ME2 and DA2 both have DLC released that aren’t sold on Steam within the past 2 months and they are still there. While there is obvious sense in trying to make DLC purchasing more convenient for customers (not to mention grabbing that 30% cut) those terms would be a huge risk for Valve and would probably cost them a fair number of games.

There are in my mind 3 major options for the Crysis situation,
      1) Steam has decided they have the market power to try and force more restrictive terms on game companies and Crysis 2 is the first to go. This seems unlikely because it would put them up against EA, one of the few companies that could do some real damage to Steam. If Valve did want to throw some weight around I’d expect them to go after DRM rather then DLCs first, if only because it would give them some cover from the positive publicity they would likely be getting.
      2) EA intentionally tried to violate the agreement with something about Origin so they can gain some public cover for playing hardball themselves to establish their download service.
      3) This is an honest mix-up and the lawyers are working now on getting it resolved. If this was the case I suspect we would have heard a little more by now and the EA press release would have been written somewhat differently.

I really hope that 3 is the case although I think 1 or 2 is much more likely. We should find out more today, its only 8:15 AM in Seattle at the moment I suspect we’ll hear Valve’s side within the next couple hours.

4. MuscleHorse says:

Was that rating for this map pack alone? Because it contains partial nudity, which is at least fairly unusual for such a DLC.

5. pischto says:

Wow these Maps all look the same. At least CoD Mappacks have different settings..

6. Simon Dufour says:

My theory is that Crysis 2 was removed from Steam because thid DLC can be purchased in-game and not on Steam.

• Man Raised by Puffins says:

The Mass Effect 2 DLC can be purchased in-game, via the Cerberus thingum, can’t it? And yet it remains firmly ensconced in Steam’s digital bosom.

• HermitUK says:

If they’ve changed their terms, it’d be difficult to retroactively apply them to all the existing games on Steam. Could easily be that the change was implemented in the last couple of months, and only new games on Steam will need to sell DLC via the Steam Client – this might explain the presence of all Fable 3′s DLC on Steam, when traditionally GFWL DLC is only available on the Marketplace, even if the game itself is available on Steam (e.g. Bioshock 2 and Arkham Asylum, among others).

• zeroskill says:

Yeah this makes totally sense, because Valve likes to cash in on their playerbase with paid DLC so much… How stupid are you people?

• HermitUK says:

@ZeroSkill It’s not Valve milking the playerbase, it’s sound business for Steam as a digital distribution platform. There’s a good chunk of money spent on DLC. As an easy example, the MW2 and Black Ops DLC is all on Steam. Each one has hit Steam’s Top Seller list when released. And Valve takes a percentage of that money.

Valve don’t set the prices on other publishers games and DLC, but they do take their cut. So it would make sense to ensure DLC for the games they sell is also available through their store. In Crysis 2′s case, they get nothing from DLC sales, as opposed to a small amount if it was sold through Steam. It’s also possible Steam’s method of integrating DLC, where it automatically installs it along with the base game, doesn’t play nice with other methods of installing DLC.

If I owned Bioshock 2 on Steam, for instance, I’d still have to buy the DLC on GFWL. If I reinstall Bioshock 2 at a later date I then also have to reinstall the DLC from GFWL. From a consumer convenience perspective, having a single “Install game and all DLC” button in Steam is a lot easier, and that could easily drive more sales through Steam.

Of course, this is all entirely speculation. We don’t know why Crysis 2 was pulled, all we’ve been told by EA is that Steam pulled it. Reading between the lines, it would be something of a coincidence if the game being pulled and the DLC release were not related events.

• golden_worm says:

Also makes sense if you consider the advent of free to play. The core game will get cheaper and DLC will become the main revenue stream?

• Man Raised by Puffins says:

@ Hermit: Ah, that would make sense.

7. mmalove says:

To be fair, when I first ventured into PC gaming ooo, 16 year ago maybe? A PC game cost 50 bucks, and a cheeseburger value meal from McDonalds or Burger King cost about 5 bucks.

Today, a PC game still costs about 50 bucks, but the cheeseburger is up to about 7 bucks. The PC game has developed 3d graphics, AI that can (sometimes) manage to pathfind around a virtual bush, multiplayer networking, CD quality audio, etc. The cheeseburger…. well sometimes they put on an extra pickle.

Gaming has turned to downloadable content as a means to inflate the cost of the game without the same sticker shock. At first everyone wanted a piece of the subscription fee model, but when that proved to be a too saturated and fickle market, we ended up with this whole DLC model. Which tbh, when done right, works ok for me. At the end of the day if the quality of the entertainment is worth it, I could think of a lot worse ways to spend 10 bucks. Hell, in NY a pack of smokes or a 6-pack of decent beer will cost you 10 bucks. Think of it as an investment in your health :P

That said, methinks Crysis is overated, and it’s EA to boot.

• meeper says:

Go back even further and I can remember dropping $80 on Commando (for Atari) or $100 on an Ultima game. Even 15 years ago, new PC games were $69.99 or higher. Prices on games have plummeted and if you take inflation into account, prices have fallen even further.

• Hellrz6666 says:

in the late 90′s the price for a game in germany has been 50 DM ( Deutsche Mark ), now its around 50-60 € :(

just for information 1€ = 2 DM – so yeah …..

atleast there is still the option to buy in the UK for cheap 35 €

• Xocrates says:

In the late 90′s a game costed around 10.000 PTE (Portuguese escudos) 1€ ~ 200,5 PTE (i.e.: 10.000 PTE ~ 50€ ) so the price hasn’t really changed much over here.

But yeah, UK (or US) has them much cheaper.

8. Alexander Norris says:

Can you still edit a few text files to make the game fun in multiplayer, or did they patch that out?

9. gganate says:

Did they ever fix the rampant cheating? That’s what turned me off multiplayer, that and the fact that it’s like every other shooter out there.

10. batfink says:

What would be better is if they actually fix the fucking game.

Start the game and no menu, just the HUD
    load a game (by random button bashing) and hell, cant see shit for dodgy textures, flashing textures, vertical lines….

Its a good thing this is off steam, valve probably done it because the amount of people complaining about it.

• phenom_x8 says:

it looks like we have the same idea, batfink! I just dont understand Why crytek was very concern finishing this map pack than finishing their core game (by giving us DX 11, better res texture, sandbox,etc) .
      BTW, a lot of us seems forget with this game and crytek promises already ! So,there’s nothing to lose because of the game was forgetable. Not quite like its predecessor!

• Walsh says:

Probably because the guys who create maps do not fix game engine bugs.

• phenom_x8 says:

Did you mean that they are just a modder (or looks like them)?? Then crytek already have the sandbox editor and yet they just not released it because EA wont be able to milk any money out of it!

• pepper says:

He means that the people creating the maps(designer, artists) are not the same as those fixing the bugs(programmers) and can work in completely different schedules.

11. Reapy says:

EA: Masters of publishing/creating good games, then serving it to you in the most distasteful way possible.

12. The_Great_Skratsby says:

Söldner had the best menu loading.

Just a mute toned looping of a man repeating Söldner. Söldner. Söldner. As if to tell us the correct pronunciation of the title.

13. phenom_x8 says:

• subedii says:

If that were the case, Railworks would’ve been purged, shot, and then purified with cleansing flame.

• DrGonzo says:

Why? A lot of the add ons for Railworks are significant pieces and can’t be compared with a simple map pack.

• subedii says:

I was just talking in regards to the sheer volume of DLC they have for the title. Like you say it’s not really an issue if it’s good quality regardless, but I don’t see this as Valve somehow sticking up for people against DLC or something.

• Creeping Death says:

“maybe(just maybe) valve was ditching Crysis 2 from their store because a lot of their (valve) customer dissapointed by the way Crysis 2 milking their money! And because of valve were always in Customer side they granted this wishes!”

*Looks at TF2′s hat store” … Noooo. That can’t be it

-.-

14. zeroskill says:

EA continues to build a awesome reputation. Customers are first at EA! No seriously EA, if you wanna have the slightest chance to not get utterly crushed by Steam, you have to try a little bit harder then that.

• phenom_x8 says:

We (customer) just a bunch of tool to fill shareholder pocket, meanwhile EA (as a company and employee) have responsibility to their shareholder directly (no to us as a customer). It’s capitalism, baby :)!
      Like it or not, costumer first just an empty slogan to lure us toward their traps!Except if the company were like valve that not owned by any shareholder and or if they trully have (shareholder, gabe maybe) at least their shareholder connected to us (as a customer ) directly because they realise that they need us (our money) and vice versa.

15. tomeoftom says:

I want Crytek to release a sniper rifle DLC pack so I can make a “like tears in range” joke.

16. cjlr says:

I will never pay for maps as long as I live.

Well, maaaaybe if it was like, 20¢ each. Or less. But still.

17. Dana says:

All praise the Valve !

18. Hunam says:

I remember being happy to pay £15 for 6 BF1942 maps. But that was ok, because they were the best maps in that game. Road to Rome FTW.

• Dana says:

It also had new vehicles, new weapons and new factions. It was a legit expansion pack. So its a bad comparison.

• Hunam says:

At the time though it was very sparse, even compared to the second expansion.

19. DK says:

I recently tried to play that awesome game Crysis 2 I bought a while ago and enojoyed in multiplayer, but what do you know – there’s no servers left. Why is that I wonder – oh I remember – cause I didn’t buy the idiotic mappack so I can’t play my game anymore. I’m sure that will make me want to spend half as much as the entire game cost me in the first place just so I can keep playing it.

Or not. No I think I EA’s attempt at blackmail doesn’t work after all – they didn’t kidnap something I loved enough to make me pay up to release their hostage.

• Mark says:

There are no servers yet because the multiplayer was so buggy and uninteresting. The population shrivelled up and died/moved onto better games.

20. Davee says:

Söldner will probably forever top my list of the most disappointing yet fun games ever.

And oh, paying $10 for a bunch of re-purposed Singleplayer maps, a grenade that nobody ever uses in fast-paced action FPS:es and a gun? No thanks.

• Gadriel says:

We all wanted it to be so good and it had so much potential. It was still fun as hell though. Even with the hilarious bugs.

21. rareh says:

Well at least its not Day1 DLC and its not worthless stuff like in Portal 2.
    I personally have no problem against DLC, as long as it adds to the game, so i get my value’s worth and it comes out later. Which means they are adding stuff to the game after they release like a mini-expansion, instead of separating the game in 2 parts and selling them separately to milk the consumers more on release date.

22. Njordsk says:

ohhh soldner. The very few play I managed to get working were abssssssssssssolute blasts.

I so much loved that “game”.

23. Rei Onryou says:

I like soldiers, best of all the animals

I like soldiers, they’re my *BLAM*

24. Raziel_aXd says:

A really good game in MP, too bad Crytek eat up what EA marketing is deciding. I guess now with that BFBC2 server there’s no chance you guys will have a Crysis 2 server, right? Guess I’ll have to wait for BF3 for this.

25. ericks says:

Wait, didn’t they just release one last month or so? They look painfully familiar too. And I’m pretty sure that’s the same music from the last trailer.

Is anyone really buying these? I am so happy I canceled my Crysis 2 pre-order in time.

26. Gadriel says:

I don’t mind paying for maps as part of a more significant expansion. I’ve never had an issue with even the assorted expansions over the years that were five maps, a few weapons, a vehicle and two new player skins. I’ll spend money on that. But monthly $10 map packs? I’d only consider it if I was really serious about the game, and I’m not that serious about any game anymore. That’s bordering on a subscription fee for multiplayer.

The one time I paid for maps and maps alone was $10 CAD in 1998 for a CD with like 500 Warcraft 2 maps.

27. geokes says:

Well I think that’s the nail in Crytek’s coffin.

28. GingerSeniorcitizenStepchild says: