DICE Respond To BF3 Pre-Order Ruckus

By Jim Rossignol on June 16th, 2011 at 8:57 pm.

We'll backtrack here, and then obfuscate hard. Got it? Johnson, you're on the doubletalk. No one misinterprets the US Army without being meticulously corrected!
DICE General Manager Karl Magnus Troedsson has gone a little further with DICE’s response to the uproar over the Physical Warfare Pack being a pre-order bonus. And it seems like a bit of a change from their initial response. Here’s the meat of it: “I would like to start by clarifying that the Physical Warfare Pack is a time-based exclusive. If you do not pre-order Battlefield 3 at a retailer carrying the Physical Warfare Pack, don’t worry. We will unlock the contents of the Physical Warfare Pack for free to all Battlefield 3 players later this year.” They also say that “if you pre-order Battlefield 3, you will be able to play Back to Karkand at no extra charge as soon as it is released, but it is not day one DLC and it is not on the base game disc.” Folks who do not pre-order will, of course, have to buy and download the DLC separately.

Thanks to Mr Evans for pointing this out to us.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Calneon says:

Bitch and ye shal receive. Now I can buy BF3 again!

• aeromorte says:

Indeed i shall uncancel my preorder … wait what?

• Nicholas Totton says:

It’s still going to be stuck on Origin, so no sale here. Glad they are back tracking on this DLC stuff I guess. Good first step.

I think it’s funny that EA does this every dam time, and the dam petition happens every dam time days after they announce it. Are they just hoping that if they do it enough times people will get annoyed and just let them do it?

dirtyword says:

@ Nicholas Totton:

That it will be on Origin only is still speculation at this point, I believe. I would put money on it being on Steam initially, as they must do everything they can to juice the number sold against MW3.

• Monkey says:

Well see you later Nicholas. I think you either weren’t going to buy it anyway or your embellishing the truth shall we say.

Its not like we’ve found out the games code is being written by children in sweat shops, or its made of whale’s teeth.

I think Origin is going to be central to the ‘free COD elite like’ service that was mentioned at E3, so…..

El_MUERkO says:

Steam can handle non steam games, if it uses origin for it’s DLC downloads or whatever, let it do that, but put a shortcut to BF3 in Steam and you’re sorted.

frymaster says:

except I want the game on steam so all my downloads are in the same place, and not because I want the steam community overlay

• Nicholas Totton says:

@Monkey You sure assume a lot for not knowing anything about me. I don’t want to have to use another dam digital store. Simple as that. I have my games and friends on Steam, and that’s all I want to need installed on my computer. I made the exception for Impulse because I love Sins of a Solar Empire, and sadly I have to have GFWL because a couple of my Steam games use that. That’s three god dam programs I have to have just to play my dam games as it is. I don’t want another dam one on top of that.

So if playing that one game means I need to add a fourth one to that list, I would rather just not play that game. I will stick with Bad Company 2 for when I get the urge to play some battlefield.

• Commisar says:

@ Nicholas Totton – do you not have enough hard rive space or something, because that is the ONLY reason to bitch about having to DL a game through another system. Once it is Downloaded, just link it to Steam and your good to go. I use both Steam and Gamersgate(for Paradox titles, M&B Warband excepting) and I have no issues. Is it a hassle, a little bit, but forgoing a great game because of that is a big F***K you to developers.

• Nicholas Totton says:

@Commisar

No it’s not the ONLY reason. As I have stated, I just don’t want to have to remember which one of a dozen different services all my games are linked to when I want to re install my games down the road. As well, by supporting this you are telling other Publishers that they can do this too, and then more and more of these places are going to start locking their games behind their own proprietary services and I don’t want that. Once that happens we are going to need to have dozens of different Steam copy cat programs installed for every Publisher that’s big enough to think they can get away with it, and people are just going to stop buying PC games again because it’s going to be too much of a dam hassle to keep track of where everything is. Activision already does this with their Battlenet crap with their Blizzard games, and now EA is doing it. Once Activision puts the rest of their games behind that wall too that will mean the two largest publishers in the world are cutting them selves off from everything else and segmenting the market.

That’s the biggest reason why I’m not supporting it, and that’s why I’m passing on this, and any, EA game that requires me to install and use this service exclusively. I can write as many articles or post on as many websites about why I don’t want them to do this, but at the end of the day the only way they are going to get the message that I don’t want them to do this is to not give them my money. I just hope enough people see the end game of where all this crap is heading down and follow suit before this gets out of hand and starts to hurt PC gaming. It’s the last dam thing we need right now.

• gwathdring says:

I sympathize with your concerns. The trouble is, Steam is exactly the same thing. It’s run by a publishing company and started as a digital wall for that publisher’s games to sit behind and act as a way to stream-line DRM and patches. Now it’s the number-one (well, technically we don’t know that) digital games distributer for PC. Having never read Steam’s contract and what they expect of games that are sold on steam I really can’t argue that publishers should stick with existing services because otherwise the market gets too segmented. I’d argue having most of the games behind a handful of download services is WORSE for customers and the industry. If Steam runs into issues or changes it’s policies to be too restrictive, suddenly all of your games are on the wrong side of the water. With multiple download services you have options and any loses or restrictions on use are compartmentalized. Oh, and if one of your DL service accounts is stolen?

Other issues with a third party download service: Developers can’t customize the delivery package for their game infrastructure but rather have to fit their game into Steam or Gamer’s Gate to make it work properly. Developers have to worry about additional compatibility issues for future content updates. There are a whole slew of reasons to either go for a Direct-to-Drive type system or design your own, personal download-service for your digital games.

I love the Direct-to-Drive system: it’s quite simply a downloaded game. No third-party DRM. It’s like installing off a virtual copy of the disk. For games that don’t have DRM, I’d much rather buy through Direct-to-Drive or a similarly simple down-loadable games retailer and skip the cloud computing thing.
      I see it like this: the current market IS compartmentalized. It’s not an open sea of everyone selling everything on every single download service and in every other conceivable manner. It’s not a peer-to-peer economic system at work here, but there isn’t one big universal download platform either. The question than becomes whether or not we’ve hit the balance between price, selection, benefits, and long term stability across all of the available download platforms. I don’t think we have, and introducing more digital distributors won’t necessarily fix that. But it won’t necessarily exacerbate it either.

• Froibo says:

I also don’t trust another company with how they offer me their property like Steam does. I don’t trust EA with this Origin’s bullshit just like I didn’t trust Microsoft with GFWL and turns out I was right about that.

• BloodPukeSalvation says:

steam is not backed by a publisher. it is backed by valve. valve is a developer, not a publisher. this is a big difference between origin and steam. origin=ea games being funnelled through there, steam=just valves ‘once-every-4-years-if-that’ titles plus everyone elses. i highly doubt origin will have games from other developers/publishers that are not under their belt.

i had to correct you on that.

me? i personally like steam a lot. its grown to become very stable over the years and has almost no issues for me. nearly all of my pc gaming friends have it and with the exception of a third party voice com app (vent, mumble, etc) steam is our primary tool for getting together for a game.

and for everyone else who is suggesting the: buy your game wherever and add a shortcut into steam. its not the best choice. one limitation is that my game wont broadcast detailed info about my mp gaming within that game. for example: friends cant right click on my name and click “join server/game” this is pretty annoying for me and for that i always go steam. exceptions: startup indie devs who dont have what it takes to get on steam or are taking pre-orders. i will only ever purchase non-indie games if they are fully functional through steam, all the bells and whistles. digital or retail is not the issue. steam is the future and i want my games to function 100% with its features.

• Alexander Norris says:

valves ‘once-every-4-years-if-that’ titles

Valve has published at least one game every year since 1998 (except 2002):

Half-Life (1998)
      Team Fortress Classic (1999); Half-Life: Opposing Force (1999)
      Deathmatch Classic (2000); Ricochet (2000); Counter-Strike (2000)
      Half-Life: Blue Shift (2001)
      Day of Defeat (2003)
      Counter-Strike: Condition Zero (2004); Counter-Strike: Source (2004); Half-Life 2 (2004); Half-Life 2: Deathmatch (2004)
      Half-Life Deathmatch: Source (2005); Day of Defeat: Source (2005); Half-Life 2: Lost Coast (2005)
      Half-Life 2: Episode One (2006)
      Half-Life 2: Episode Two (2007); Portal (2007); Team Fortress 2 (2007)
      Left 4 Dead (2008)
      Left 4 Dead 2 (2009)
      Alien Swarm (2010)
      Portal 2 (2011)

Which, incidentally, makes them a publisher.

I had to correct you on that. ;)

• Whitechip says:

@Nicholas Totton
      So it’s so hard for you to remember that EA games are on origin? How dumb are you?
      And the rest of your bull crap is just speculation.

• Nicholas Totton says:

@ Whitechip I gave my reason. Since you couldn’t be bothered to take the time to respond with an valid counter and instead just insulted me I can see you are just trolling. So I’m just going to end it at this.

2. Dana says:

Hihi, yet clearly some of the items were marked ‘day 1 unlock’ and other ‘exclusive’. They are really afraid to admit that they caved in to player demands.

• gohemis says:

Id rather them hate to admit they caved in, then not listen to the people at all.

• Davee says:

What gohemis said. Nice to see that DICE still cares, even under the EA whip (Go, Sweden!) ;)

PoulWrist says:

Day 1 unlocks out of the content that is in the game, but locked till you achieve some score, is not the same as day 1 pay-2-access DLC.

3. dragonhunter21 says:

I only see mention of the map pack, not of the weapon. We knew the map pack was going to be released later, but the weapons are still exclusive, it seems.

• Chris Evans says:

Doesn’t that say it all?

• Aemony says:

Title of the post: “Physical Warfare Pack available to all Battlefield 3 players later this year”… Doesn’t THAT say it all?

• Davee says:

It would seem that people have been getting the Strike at Karkand and Physical Warfare packs mixed up. I can honestly understand them a bit, pre-order “exclusives” tend to be confusing like this.

4. testman3 says:

Pure win right there. Glad that they decided to make it a timed exclusive instead of what they indeed first announced as “exclusive”

5. db1331 says:

BEHOLD THE POWER OF THE INTERNET

6. Theodoric says:

I’m starting to feel a strange sensation in the back of my head.
    Wait, there’s music now.
    DUN-DUN-DUNDUNDUN!!!
    Yay, I’m a DICE fanboy again! Woohoo!

7. Alexander Norris says:

So… doesn’t that mean that everyone who doesn’t preorder will get kicked from a server every time Karkand etc. comes on?

• Chris Evans says:

No, Karkand is going to be just like Vietnam was in Bad Company 2, a totally different .exe with seperate servers and such like. No kicking because a server won’t be able to run both core BF3 and Karkand maps.

If I am wrong then I will eat an orange.

• Recidivist says:

I wouldn’t have thought it would be a seperate exe, more like Northen Strike for BF2142.

• The Hammer says:

Naw, Vietnam isn’t a separate .exe – you launch it from inside the game. In actual fact, you don’t even have to download Vietnam, because it downloads through normal, vanilla patches. All you need is a code.

• Monkey says:

Vitamin C. C for chris

• dsi1 says:

He isn’t wrong, BF:BC2:V still has totally separate servers than BF:BC2.

• Alexander Norris says:

Chris: that seems unlikely to me – the big draw of BF3 is that it’s the sequel to BF2, and including updated BF2 maps is part of that – seems like shunting them off into a totally separate mode like Vietnam would go against that,

• Gravy says:

Although its much more logical that it’ll be like Vietnam than kicking players from a server every time it rotates. I suspect that if you have the Karkand dlc you’ll click a tab like you do currently with Vietnam and you can play on servers with both vanilla and the Karkand maps. Makes more sense.

8. Nomaki says:

So the weapons will be free to everyone later on?
    That’s alrighty then!

9. Silver says:

ERR9-VW52-NVZM-K962-FQMS

10. Papa_Dragon says:

IT WORKED.

11. Guy0 says:

“it is not day one DLC and it is not on the base game disc”

Isn’t stuff that’s not on the base disc by definition DLC?

Anyways, some good news at least.

• Recidivist says:

Day 1 DLC is usualy content that is already on the disc but it is locked unless you meet whatever criteria they set to get it, whether it be buying it after release or pre-ordering it or whatever. Kinda stupid, imo, but not how DICE rolls, even with a publisher such as EA ( grrrrr >:( ).

• Felixader says:

@Recidivist: Yeah that’s why the Battlefield Bad Company 2 : Vietnam Update was already in that “Game Update” that you needed for the main game and when you bougth Vietnam it just took a second or so to be finished. X-P

I love them either way, but it was still unapealing that they did so.

Vandelay says:

When I actually got the full story behind this, I didn’t really get what the massive complaining was about. The extra maps were sounding more like the Bad Company 2 Vietnam pack, instead of your regular CoD-esque map pack, whilst the weapons is just something every game for quite a while has been doing.

If it was such a big issue, why not complain when it started years ago with numerous other games?

Still, it’s always nice to hear that extras are for all and not just a select few.

• Papa_Dragon says:

It was not about extra maps, it was about PWP pack, 3 items of which were exclusive to the store-specific pre-orders, unobtainable anywhere else. Not through the game and not through the buying later. Now they’ve backed down.

• Recidivist says:

@Papa_Dragon

It was all going so well until you used ‘thru’ for ‘through’. :(

• Papa_Dragon says:

@Recidivist:
      Fixed for your viewing pleasure.

13. Balm says:

And how is that a “win”? Those who don’t pre-order will still have to pay extra for maps. And not some hipothetical map-pacs that will be made later, but for ones that will be ready by the time of release, just removed from the core package.

• Warlokk says:

The maps won’t be available on release… they are coming later, and are normal standard paid DLC if you don’t preorder… but if you preorder you get them gratis as a bonus. I read someplace else (or was that here?) that the pack is actually being made by a different dev team, the guys who did the Vietnam add-on for BFBC2.

• Recidivist says:

Who says the maps, weapons and vehicles will be ready before release? Shit, do you work at DICE?!?!??!

The complaint was mostly about the PWP, not about Return to Karkand, which is a decent pack.

PoulWrist says:

Also a weapon and vehicle pack; think of Return to Karkand like the BC2 Vietnam expansion.

• Binman88 says:

What’s your point Balm? The map pack is not part of the core game, it’s clearly marked as additional content, and it’s not coming out on day one. It would usually be paid DLC, but as a promotional offer they’re giving it to people who pre-order for free. Since when are promotional offers such a bad thing?

Also, who gives a fuck when they made it anyway? Why does there seem to be some unwritten rule that everything developed before release must be contained in the main game? Am I entitled to all the cups of coffee they made during development as well?

• Koojav says:

@Balm EXACTLY. I don’t get it why noone else can see it.

• Tomm says:

Oh not this again Koojav.

• Koojav says:

@Tomm, don’t make me shoot you at Karakand :D

14. noodlecake says:

It’s nice to see that whinging about something as unimportant and trivial as this gets results. Now if we could just apply that same whinging to important things like animal rights rather than the pointless and inane we can really make the world a better place. :)

• DeepSleeper says:

Who manufactures those, then?

• theallmightybob says:

Animal rights… really? thats your big more importants thing? How about we worry about they kind of crap going on to PEOPLE in Africa and around the world. lets get human rights to everyone before we worry about the crap we eat.

15. Ravenger says:

I believe the Back to Karkand map pack will be like the Vietnam pack for BFBC2, i.e. essentially a separate game when it comes to servers and map rotations.

16. Vagrant says:

God forbid they limit us to the 6 other shotguns that all act basically the same!

Joshua says:

Well that is fairly reasonable.

18. Snuffy the Evil says:

I’m still angry at the Back To Karkand map pack, though.

• Chris Evans says:

Why are you angry? It is just like Vietnam in Bad Company, a whole proper expansion with I believe its own weapons and vehicles along with the maps. What is there to be mad about?

In addition, it is being made by a separate team at DICE to the core BF3 team and will be coming out -after- the release of BF3.

• Snuffy the Evil says:

Oh, is it? I didn’t know that.

I guess I’m not angry anymore!

• Monkey says:

You see its reading only the first bits, then not reading the rest of the bits, then bitching about the first bit, which gives the internet a bad name

19. Silver says:

Actually I’d just like to point out that it’s really nice after doing some neckbreaking work to read new entries @ RPS and when it’s 11pm / and RPS doesn’t feel as empty at evenings/nights anymore! :)

+ I was really positively suprised when I noticed new entries on Sunday beside Sunday Papers!

keep it up :)

shoptroll says:

How are pre-order bonuses not considered Day 1 DLC?

*scratches head*

• Gnarf says:

It is considered day 1 DLC if it is made available on… day 1. If it is made available later (like, on day 30 the people who pre-ordered the game get the DLC for free and other people get to buy the DLC) then it is not considered day 1 DLC.

• povu says:

Yeah it sounds pretty strange. So you pre-order the game, and as a bonus you get the free DLC earlier than the rest, but not on release day?

shoptroll says:

@Gnarf:
      I see. I missed the part where Karkand wasn’t arriving until after launch.

So basically… it’s the Dragon Age II Signature Edition (or Project $10 in general) just with delayed gratification. Lovely.

• Tomm says:

No, you get it the same time as everyone else, when it’s released, you just don’t have to pay.

21. Birdy says:

If this isn’t on steam – or at a close retailer, I’m not getting it.

I know I’m gonna miss out, but seriously, GET IT ON STEAAAAM.

• lokk says:

Agreed. If it doesn’t come to Steam I’m not picking this up. Call me a fanboy, but I’m not touching Origin or buying it retail if that means I’m forced to register it through Origin (which seems likely).

22. Neurotic says:

For the sake of something like 5 to 10 euro-dollarpounds extra, they omit the single most classic map in the entire BF series from the base game? Madness.

23. rareh says:

“Folks who do not pre-order will, of course, have to buy and download the DLC separately.”

I pre-orded portal 2 and i still had to pay 80+$ for the day 1 DLC, wish valve would learn from EA or CD Projekt.

• Tomm says:

There was no proper day 1 DLC for Portal 2.

• rareh says:

There was, if you don’t take my word for it.

• Tomm says:

I own the game so I’m in a fairly good position to disagree with you.

I don’t believe for a second that you actually bought all the hats, or felt that they were somehow required purchases.

If you actually read the article you linked to it says, ” It’s important to make the distinction that none of it has any effect on your actual game experience.” The ‘DLC’ for Portal 2 is no way comparable to that of BFC etc. it has no effect on the game and isn’t required to play/enjoy the game.

Simply put, all the people voting the game down on metacritic are trolls, just as I suspect you are.

In any case, Valve have already stated that when DLC for Portal 2 eventually comes out (maps, challenges etc.) it will be FREE, you get that, FREE!

wengart says:

God forbid you have to pay for skins.

• Chuck84 says:

Rareh, i’m not one to call out folks individually, but your anti-Valve crusade is quite tiring to keep stumbling across. We get it, you don’t like them, in fact i didn’t like the skin store myself, but there’s no need to bring things up off-topic.

And that metacritic campaign was, in 3 words, Really Fucking Stupid.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Rareh, the worrying bit is not Valve’s apparent Day 1 DLC, but the fact that you felt compelled to spend $80+ on hats. :/

You should really let your mom take back control of your finances.

• rareh says:

Its funny if valve release day 1 DLC its “not day 1 DLC” i get personally attacked for calling them out, ” its not worth buying aka sucks aka trying to milk more money out of their customers without getting their money’s worth”, which is a problem that they release crappy dlc, big props to EA releasing quality dlc(weapons etc) and most probably a much better game then P2, i mean chances are it will be more difficult(i felt like the puzzles were made so that “special” people can feel smart) , you won’t have the most annoying companion saying the driest jokes i ever heard and last longer then 2+ hours.
      Worst game this year hands down, my favorite is Frozen Synapse in case anyone is curious.

@Raiyan 1.0

I never said that i bought it, you probably haven’t learned to read yet.
      Puddle Lane children’s books are great learn-to-read books.

@Chuck84

Your valve fanboyism is tiring, but you are entitled to others opinions(Gabe’s). Wish people would think for themselves.

• Tomm says:

@rareh ” I never said that i bought it, you probably haven’t learned to read yet.”

Well you heavily implied you did, or at least that you thought you were required to.

“I pre-orded portal 2 and i still had to pay 80+$ for the day 1 DLC”

If you can’t see how that could be construed as you having said you bought it, maybe you should read some of those books you suggested?

• Chuck84 says:

Edit:Tomm got in there before me.

“@Chuck84
      Your valve fanboyism is tiring” I didn’t say anything fanboyish. In fact of the 3 sentences I wrote, 1 of them was stating how i didn’t like the hat store. It seemed cynical to me.
      Calling someone a fanboy doesn’t make it true, or invalidate what they think. It just makes you look desperate and obstinate. Stop building up this imaginary army of blind Valve sheeple. I also said nothing about EA, tbh this whole thing is standard for them now, no point in getting riled up about it.
      My initial point was to not bring up things out of context.
      I’m sorry you didn’t like Portal 2, it really is a great game. Implying that you are too smart to enjoy it again makes you look desperate and obstinate.

• rareh says:

@Tomm

“I had to do something” or else blablabla, doesn’t imply that i did, implies that there are consequences =/= ” I did something”

Hope you now learned the difference, btw those books are very good my son is getting better and better every day.

• Tomm says:

That is not a counter-argument. A statement like, “I had to wash the dishes” can in itself imply, you had to wash the dishes.

The great thing about the English language Rareh, it’s complex, words can have double meanings. Your attitude seemed to suggest one thing even if you didn’t mean it that way.

And just a note, openly insulting people is not a good way to get your terrible point across, it only reaffirms our initial impression of you, that you are a troll.

24. Symbul says:

These are not the zero-day DLCs you are looking for.

25. Tatourmi says:

If they put more than 4 maps in the game this time i will be happy. But no. They probably won’t. Ah, fuck this, really, the video game industry is getting on my nerves.

• Tomm says:

Why are you getting stressed about unconfirmed information? Sure the game might be crap, but there’s no point getting antsy for months in advance.

26. TollTheRavens says:

Why point out if it is on the disk or not? Does it actually matter? The content is finished before the game is released, that’s what matters. Hell, it’s better if it is on the disk. That way, no one will have to download it when everyone inevitably purchases it.

• Tomm says:

Do you work for DICE, how do you know that it’ll be finished before release?

• povu says:

Considering how early they’ve been planning this it wouldn’t surprise me honestly.

27. mogofogo says:

I am so confused right now.
    I pre-ordered the Battlefield 3 Limited Edition, since it was the only one available in Singapore.
    There is a mention of the Back to Karkand map pack, but I’m not sure if i’m entitled to the Physical Warfare Bonus.
    I think it came with a weird yellow beret and combat shotgun for Battlefield Play4Free.
    What say you RPS?
    Does Battlefield 3 Limited Edition = Physical Warfare Pack?

• James Allen says:

Limited Edition = Back to Karkand
      Limited Edition does not equal Physical Warfare Pack. For that, you have to pre-order it from specific retailers; the only ones announced so far are in the UK.

28. Bweahns says:

Sounds like there will definitely not be any mod or map making tools for BF3 which means a lifespan of about 6 months for me. Simply allowing custom maps extends the life of a game so much for me.

29. metalangel says:

If it needs this much clarifying and causes this much anger, maybe they should drop this confusing and annoying business practice!

• Tomm says:

I kinda agree, this whole thing has been an exercise in bad PR/Advertising.

Surely they could have left it a couple months, then announced the Physical Warfare Pack once they had more info about retailers, and made sure we understood that the items would be made available to everyone for free after a timed exclusive.

Then they could have said, “look, we plan for a DLC to come out on this date (after release), if you pre-order you get it for free”.

Surely that would have caused less ire than what they’ve been doing the last couple of weeks.

30. Holybasil says:

The fact that they are intentionally leaving out content is what bugs me.
    If it’s done by release you should get it for free. Simple as that.

Like Shale with DA:O

• Tomm says:

Again, do you work for Dice/EA?

No? Then why suggest that you know the internals of their development. We don’t know if it’s going to be done by release, or even if they’re working on it currently.

31. ghiest says:

If the DLC is available on day 1 … it’s DAY ONE DLC. What a douche-bag. Just because it’s not on the disc they think it’s a – ok to try and gouge people who don’t pre-order. Typical fragmenting of the player base which is why I stopped playing Bf2 funnily enough.

• Tomm says:

Again, the map pack is not being released on day 1. I wish some people would learn to read.

32. Saucy says:

What is this DLC nonsense about the Back to Karkand map. I’ve played BF2 and I hated that map.