Fallen Earth Goes Free-To-Play

By Jim Rossignol on June 16th, 2011 at 8:32 am.

The MMO-minded chaps at Massively got the scoop on this one: post-apocalyptic MMO Fallen Earth is going free-to-play, thanks to being picked up by GamersFirst. The model will be “unlimited trial”, so subs will still be in place, but have various tiers that unlock stuff and boost XP gain. The design team will also remain intact, and the game will continue development as planned.

We had fun with this, back in the mists of time, and it’s still the closest we’ve got a Fallout MMO until the real thing comes along. It doesn’t actually seem to be free yet, but there’s a 30-day trial to get you started, and I’d imagine it will be by the end of that…

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. iamstillwater says:

I’m on the trial now, and for once, I’m happy I can play the game. This is mostly because my connection to it from the Philippines was horrible back in the day.

That said, they’ll have a more community-focused blog post on it in a few hours, I think. :)

2. gasteropod says:

There actually is a Fallout mmo already. It’s called Fallout Online. It’s dominated by Russians but if you get friends or e-friends together and get yourself a base setup, even Russians can’t stand in your way.

3. mjig says:

I played it for a few days when Alienware was giving away keys.

It’s actually pretty decent. I think if you have the time and inclination to get past the learning curve and extremely complex crafting system you’ll find an immersive post apocalyptic mmo.

• Jumwa says:

I agree. But there’s the clinch. I just find I don’t have the patience for MMOs learning curves and starting from scratch, being a total weakling who has no options except “Go level”. Whenever I try to play a MMO now I find myself inhibited by my desire to have cool looking armour and options to do what I like, not just level.

4. CMaster says:

I’d say it really isn’t very much like Fallout at all.

I’d also say it’s a game that felt a hell of a lot like work anyway. I can only see that getting worse if they need to sell you stuff.

5. Davee says:

I never got past the first area and the “Go to Y kill X Gather Z” missions, but the overall concept still interests me about the game.
    And I couldn’t think of any better F2P company to take over it than G1 (from what I’ve experienced in the APB:R Closed Beta). Let’s just hope the grind dosn’t get too bad.

Will check it out again!

6. Batolemaeus says:

Oi, I played this one.
    It has some really bad technical limitations, but other than that, it’s a fine piece of game and I’d hate to see it go.

7. ReV_VAdAUL says:

I’ve played the trial of this and the complex crafting made me unsure whether I would enjoy it enough for a monthly fee but thought there was some good underlying stuff. I will be checking this out again once it is F2P.

8. ScubaMonster says:

The game wasn’t too bad, but the combat and AI was awful.

9. Moonracer says:

thought I’d give the game a try and signed up for the 30 day trial but the downloader is saying 3+ days to download the files. eek. Maybe it’s just a bad day.

10. MadMatty says:

Mmmm yeah the combat was pretty bad, and it had weird items like a feathered hat which gave you armour (!?)
    Also, im starting to get a wee bit tired of kill X amount of Y´s quests.
    Yeah, the levelling (grinding) required to do anything useful or fun in MMO´s, has also gotten to me of late.
    Will load it up again when it goes FTP, for a second look.