Ageing: Age Of Empires Online Dev Diary

By Quintin Smith on June 17th, 2011 at 10:40 am.

The elephant never forgets... THE TASTE OF BLOOD

In case you weren’t aware, Age of Empires Online is shaping up to be a deeply different kettle of papyrus from the original Age of Empires games. That should be made clear by the following dev diary, explaining how MMORPG-style loot and equipment work in the game, as well as where you’ll be getting it from and how you can trade it with your lovely friends. Ooh, it’s lovely and friendly, this online world of ours, when it’s not busy being mercenary and horrible.

Probably all this video will do is pique your interest for some more robust analysis of Age of Empires Online. If that’s the case, let me direct you to Total Biscuit describing the game and his time with in in his inimitable, amphetamine-laced style.

Also, here‘s some information on how its pricing plan will work. Worth reading, seeing as the details on everything from premium packs, pro packs, “booster” packs and “extras” packs should give you an idea of precisely the game they’re trying to make here.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Tony M says:

Love the art style. I wish it was a regular “boxed” game.

• JYzer says:

The style reminds me of Zeus: Master of Olympus, with a fresh 2011 coat of paint. Looks good. If I had a dime for every hour I sank into that one, and every other city builder, I could probably buy a real city.

2. Persona Jet Rev says:

The pricing scheme is a bit extensive, but I wouldn’t mind treating this game ‘pay 2 play’ if it resembles the Age of Empires games we know and love.

Does anyone know if there are beta keys available somewhere?

• Timmeister says:

I do believe it is open beta now, so you don’t need a key. Just download it from the Games for Windows Live dashboard McThingy.

• Persona Jet Rev says:

I see some reports on Google that that was only temporary, but anyone who participated is able to continue to play.

But to be sure, I’m going to *gulp* install the GFWL client tonight anyway.

• JayTee says:

Just downloaded it from the horrible, horrible GFWL marketplace so no need to faff with keys and wotnot.

• Persona Jet Rev says:

They hid it well, but I managed to find it.

Now to wash this GFWL grime off…

3. BurningPet says:

This is madness.

4. Jumwa says:

I’m really intrigued by this game. Most of the free to play online games of this sort seem to end with you quitting once your protection runs off and you get swarmed by fifty other players all more experienced and powerful than you are. When all I want is to build some things and fight some puny little NPCs to make myself feel big in an online, co-operative environment.

Maybe it’ll be something to give a go. Though the GFWL, as always, is ever a turn off, especially for online games.

• TormDK says:

You only log in to G4WL once in my experience, it did not start up when playing the beta. It’s designed as a stand alone.

• MCM says:

Jumwa, it’s absolutely nothing like what you’re thinking. It’s not a free-to-play online game like a web-based game like Utopia or Grepolis or any of that crap.

It’s basically like a normal RTS with online versus play (like SC2), except with a bunch of MMORPG stuff thrown in like talent trees and random loot and experience levels.

I played it a bit and while I sort of liked it, I feel it was pretty much the worst of both worlds.

5. Monkeh says:

Rare and Epic gear? I would like some Valve gear in there too.