Call Of Juarez Involves “Co-opetition”

By Jim Rossignol on June 17th, 2011 at 2:23 pm.

Outta my bins, you!
The latest trailer for cowboys-in-the-now game Call Of Juarez: The Cartel (below, natch) shows its co-op game. What’s interesting about it is this word: “Co-opetition.” What the word means is that each of the players in the co-op game is going to have his or her own agenda, and executing it might get you in big trouble, (or even executed, judging by the end of the trailer). While you have to fight the NPC carterl goons together, there’s going to be side-missions all the way for deciding which if you is actually the best at sneaky manshoots. I’m keen to see this in action – I wonder whether it will stand up to repeated play. For now though, check out the trailer.

The game is out on July 19th.

, , .

1. Zyrxil says:

Marketeers love making up new words.

2. Zurechial says:

It’s an interesting concept, but I don’t have much faith in the execution of it.

lhzr says:

i thought the (pretty much only) appeal of the juarez series was its wild west setting, which is now gone. so what do we have left to look forward to?

• LionsPhil says:

The first game is actually a very good FPS alternating between stealthy bits and shooty bits, with some horse-chase-y bits thrown in where the horses feel like actual animals that won’t blindly ride off cliffs, get tired, have motion to them, etc. rather than motorbikes with legs stuck on. The thick coat of western style is just a delicious topping.

lhzr says:

hm, i found the gameplay from the first a bit clumsy, but yeah, ok, there was a bit more to it than the setting. maybe this one will also have variety.. i guess i’m kinda biased by the very lame vibe the trailers are giving out.

• LionsPhil says:

…yeah, the trailers for this are, uh, incredibly weak. And I kind of just petered out on the second game. They screwed up a lot they’d previously got right—like using a horse and carriage like a battering ram through a building in a turret-on-rails sequence. What. Horses are not trucks.

4. aerozol says:

Could be fun, but most likely will just completely destroy the point of playing co-op.
    ‘Co-op’ games where you’re competing are almost always terrible. The worst ones are the ones that reward whoever comes out with the most points/ most skill, leading to inevitable domination of whatever dick-hole is stealing all the (whatevers) from the start. Fun times.
    I look forward to being pleasantly surprised, but I doubt it.

5. Heliosicle says:

This is coming out extremely quickly for how little I’ve seen of it.

6. Haggai Elkayam says:

Sound awesome. It could have been awesome in L4D/2.

Also, there is a tiny bit of co-opetition in Portal 2. For example, killing your partner to gain an achievement. Fun times.

Malibu Stacey says:

Well you can play L4D/2 in a similar manner but you’re basically griefing your team & you’re going to end up very dead very quick in expert or versus.

• Haggai Elkayam says:

Yeah, but in L4D your teammates don’t make funny sounds when they die. And, well, don’t insta-respawn.

7. Faceless says:

Cooperative petitioning? Seems like an odd concept for a fast-paced video game.

Tom De Roeck says:

Jim, please remove the “H264″ from the title of the youtube video. it makes everything seem EXTREMELY unprofessional.
    EDIT: And Im only saying that, because I know youre professional. Not as a means to look down upon ye.

Tom De Roeck says:

Jim, please remove the title from your posts, it makes everything seem EXTREMELY well written, and its not.

EDIT: And Im only say that, because I know you cant write. not as a means to get my name in a post title!

10. fiddlesticks says:

Bah, it’s not like I need an actual reason to dick over my partner in coop.

• LionsPhil says:

Magicka provides all the reasons you need.

It’s hilarious to.

11. RyuRanX says:

The first game was so special, but the third one looks like just another generic and boring FPS.

It’s kind of what happened to the F.E.A.R. franchise: the first game was great, the second one OKish and the third one generic and completely unninsteresting.

12. mollemannen says:

first time i have heard of the word and i already hate it.

this is what happens every time me and my buds try to play a co-op game. it turns into a competition to get the best items first or get the most kills or get to the end first. to some extent it’s fine but when you are co-operating out of greed the game is always at it’s best. if you wan’t competetive go play against other players but keep co-op and competitive apart please.

my two cents

Malibu Stacey says:

Your “buds” sound like complete dicks TBH.

• mollemannen says:

who the f are you to say that? it’s just friendly competition that gets out of hand. if you can’t relate then say so but don’t insult my friends.

i said if you had the braincapacity to read my whole post that when you play co-op out of greed it’s the best there are.

for example. playing portal 2 with a friend was a blast since there aren’t any competitive elements. likewise system shock 2 was really fun because you can specialize in different things.

now terraria was a really bad co-op experience. one of my friends just wanted to get all the best gear as fast as possible. i liked to explore the map and thus i found some gear myself. the third guy was left to build the house which made him severely undergeared and thus had to take donations of old stuff and duplicates which he didn’t appreciate in the long run.

does that make my friends dicks? you’re a dick.

13. LionsPhil says:

Teamwork never felt so competative

The trailer people never played Paranoia, then.

In fact, didn’t a fairly recent game do a dynamic betrayal mechanic in multiplayer? Maybe Kane & Lynch 1, some kind of robbery thing where you could murder the other robbers to steal their share but then risk them respawning as police to catch you?

Because that seems more compelling than, uh, “hit use on this thing while nobody’s looking”.

14. magicwalnuts says:

Man, I was so hoping it would be more like this

• Squirrelfanatic says:

Shooting shotgun wielding exhibitionists? There is a simulator for that?

15. Squirrelfanatic says:

1:19 Dude at the bottom wins.

• Bhazor says:

Two of these people do not understand how Mexican stand offs work.

16. Synesthesia says:

so when´s call of juarez – 9/11 out?

17. Nines says:

what’s the song in the trailer??

18. jymkata says:

I’m pretty sure that like 50% of the reason I love this website is the word ‘manshoot.’
    The other 50% is like the writing or something.