Portal 2 DLC Arrives, But You Can’t Have It

By Alec Meer on June 17th, 2011 at 11:34 am.

WANT

(Well, not unless you spend $140 on a new controller). This is all a bit odd, and slightly infuriating too. Remember Razer’s Hydra motion controller for PC, and how it was going to have a special version of Portal 2 created for it? Well, that’s happened. The wavy-wandy gamepaddy, PS Move-y er…thing is now being sold via Steam in the US, for the utterly absurd price of $140. $140! You could buy multiple Moves for that. However, it also includes access to 10-level Portal 2 DLC designed specifically for its six-way air-gesturing.

This first expansion pack sounds pretty ambitious, involving as it does Portal rotation and, most excitingly, object rescaling: “Resize custom weighted cubes to harness their size and mass properties to crush turrets, bridge gaps, and solve puzzles in a new and exciting way.”

Whaaat?

Irritatingly, there doesn’t appear to be a way to get hold of this pack (or the controller) in the UK, and apparently most of it is only playable if you have a Hydra. Have any USers or IP fudgers been able to grab it at all?

I don’t doubt, however, that someone will crack open and share those new maps with us. I find it hard to imagine a mouse couldn’t achieve the kind of precision Razer claim Hydra can do, but then I haven’t tried one so I could well be as wrong as Ian McWrong, who was born on the first of Wrong Nineteen-Wrongety-Wrong.

The DLC was apparently developed by ‘Sixense Studios’ rather than Valve, but hell, it’s still the first Portal 2 DLC (other than those robo-hats). I’m quite sure it’s not the aforementioned, Valve-made and free-to-all DLC, though. That would never be released with no song and dance like this.

If you want to buy the Hydra via Steam, this link lets you do it – but you’ll get an error page if you’re not an American.

Also: when did Steam become a hardware store too? (Edit: oh, OK, yonks ago).

Edit 2: Here’s the controller in Europe, for an also-monstrous 140 Euros, but reportedly with the DLC. (Thanks, Nathan).

, .

1. Premium User Badge Nathan says:

The bad thing is I could actually see myself spending $140 on a controller just to play an extra 10 levels of Portal 2.

• MadTinkerer says:

Well it’s not like those 10 levels are the only thing you can play with it. There are supposed to be 125-ish games compatible with it right now.

Plus Valve were saying something about the Sixense being really neat for level editing, so there might be some Hammer integration in the future.

• Premium User Badge Tom De Roeck says:

That kind of controller has been around for ages, for 3D design and probably level design as well.
      Doesnt beat a mouse, as far as I heard, though.

EDIT: I have to add, however, that for film editing, it is in fact quite handy to have the controls really in your hand. Maybe theyve just done something similar for Portal2

2. Holybasil says:

No… just no

3. Dominic White says:

The most absurd thing here is that the PS3 version doesn’t support the Move controller, which the Hydra is a COMPLETE CLONE OF.

(And yes, the Move is a shameless clone of the Wii remote, too – it’s a pretty incestuous industry)

• Hallgrim says:

I don’t get how Move is a ‘shameless clone’ of the Wiimote. It’s a different tech entirely, and seems to be superior in every way. I don’t own a PS3, but I have looked at PS3 games that would be impossible on the Wii because they require true 3D control, not shaky short-range IR pointing.

• Nevard says:

An improved clone is still a clone.
      Do you honestly believe Sony would ever have made that if not for the Wii?

• Sigh says:

Hallgrim has provided the more accurate comment here. Anyone who claims that the Move controller is a clone of the Wii concept has probably played neither of them. If you want to say the Move used the Wii as inspiration fine, but it is utilizing completely new tech and is amazingly accurate. I know it is difficult for PC gamers to hear, but the Move is a lot of fun and has allowed me to finally play FPSs on a console at the same skill level I exhibit on the PC. Killzone 3 is an absolute blast with the Move controller and feels more like actually holding a gun in some ways. PC is still my preferred gaming platform head-and-shoulders over any other, but it is nice to have an alternative that now provides precision control. I am just starting to experiment with the RTS games that are coming out for the Move like Under Siege (perhaps RUSE too) and am interested to see how they fair.

On topic: I actually hope the Hydra performs as advertised and does well (perhaps with future price drops for greater market penetration). I am a diehard KB+Mouse advocate on par with any other internet angry-person, but the Move has proved to me that it is nice to have a unique alternative from time to time. I don’t imagine the Hydra will swoop in and revolutionize PC gaming–since we already have amazingly precise controls–but I do hope that it provides some clever and idiosyncratic gaming controls as developers build new concepts around it…especially indie developers.
      What is tiresome in the comments I have read on this post is the knee-jerk inarticulate expression: “Whaaaat expensive controller gimmick=FAIL.”
      Sigh

• Premium User Badge Nathan says:

Oh come on, it’s not unusual or wrong for a technology to use as inspiration another technology. Progress is defined by the imitation of successful innovations…

• Dominic White says:

I have both a Wii and a PS3, and have played on both extensively. Blasphemy, perhaps, but I actually like the ‘feel’ of FPS gameplay with a pointer-based controller. Much more tactile than mouse/keyboard. I really like the Move – it’s a refinement over the Wii remote design, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a completely shameless clone with almost identical functionality.

Please note that I’m grumbling that Valve aren’t supporting it.

• Jimbo says:

It isn’t a clone. Unlike the Move, Hydra has an analog stick on the thing that’s being tracked. With both Hydra controllers you have an analog stick in each hand, which is something you can’t do with Move. This opens up a ton of possible control schemes for Hydra which aren’t possibly with Move controllers.

Move was originally going to have an analog stick on the wand too, but Sony bottled it (presumably worried that it would become too complex to operate for the audience they were going for). I think this was a poor choice on their part, which has now severely limited the sorts of games they can make. They could have offered some genuinely unique experiences with their original design, rather than just knock-offs & refinements on existing ideas.

Think of something like Mount & Blade or a game like Skyrim (not necessarily Skyrim itself). With two sticks you could move your character & the camera exactly like you do in a regular console FPS scheme, while still individually tracking each hand (eg. a sword and shield). That’s something they should be able to do with Hydra (assuming the tracking is comparable to Move), but can’t do with Move as it exists today.

In terms of making ‘real games’ (for want of a better term) using motion control, I think it’s as important a step forward as the addition of a second analog stick was for console FPS.

• Delusibeta says:

@Jimbo: To be perfectly blunt, that’s the same sort of argument that Sony fanboys wheel out to try to prove that the Move isn’t a clone of the Wii Remote. The point is, without the Wii Remote, there would be no Move and none of this Sixsense lark. Much like how without the Nintendo 64′s rumble pack, there would be no rumbling controllers for the Xbox or the PS2.

• Dominic White says:

Seriously? ‘It has an extra analogue stick on it!! It’s not a clone!’ is your argument?

It’s literally That Thing Wot It Is Copying With Knobs On(tm).

• rayne117 says:

Edit: wrong places wrong faces

• Jimbo says:

Haha, it’s not like adding the second stick to game pads totally revolutionised how console games were made or anything, right? GoldenEye and Halo play practically identically!!11

The addition or absence of a second stick fundamentally changes what you can and can’t do with a control scheme. They both involve motion tracking (using totally different tech), but the actual functionality of Hydra should be far beyond anything that can be done with Move. I don’t consider it to be a ‘COMPLETE CLONE WAHH WHERES MY MOVE SUPPORT’ at all. They don’t look that similar and the functionality isn’t all that similar either – you certainly wouldn’t want to try and play this DLC with a Move controller, because it just doesn’t have the functionality to do it.

• epicfail320 says:

@Jimbo I have the Move, and I must say, it is so accurate, it scares me. If i didn’t know better, I’d say there was a supernatural force behind. It is disappointing there aren’t loads of games to get for it. Anyway, you could just press a trigger then move the analog stick to move the character and move the stick by itself to move the camera, or vice versa. Then it would be virtually the same as with the Hydra, but more convienent and a little more time consuming. if this was implemented with Move support, this DLC would be much more popular.

4. Dana says:

First was Falcon Novint, then Razer Hydra. Im confused why Valve is investing in those gimmicks.

• Bhazor says:

Hell at least the Novint was an original idea. The hydra is just a blatant rip off.

• treat says:

The Novint Falcon is incredible, and while this might be a shameless ripoff, it’s the first motion control device I’ve heard of for the PC. Given that, it’s execution may even surpass that of its console counterparts, but I suppose that’s yet to be seen.

• Dhatz says:

before hydra, there was Sixense Truemotion.

5. Premium User Badge Nathan says:

Oh, here’s the Hydra in Europe, at a predictable €140 – http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_GB/pd/productID.228849000/categoryId.55979400
    (But still with the DLC).

• Kaira- says:

1$ = 1€ conversion rate never stops confusing me. And angering me.

• ColdSpiral says:

Try the Australian price of $224.95: http://au.razerzone.com/razer-hydra
      I’ve been looking forward to this thing since CES, but with a $100 markup, Razer can shove it.

• Jumwa says:

At least you’re not in Canada, where even when our dollar is higher than the US our prices are still more in Canadian than the Americans pay in US dollars.

Why did I just pay $35 CAN for something that’s $30 in the US when our dollar is higher?

• Zakkeh says:

Hell, Aus HAS a higher dollar value then the US at the moment, and it’s still higher. As well as everything else, even though our economy is better than most peoples. I don’t understand it

• badoli says:

So i guess i should be happy that another country is being even more ripped off than good ol’ Europe…? I’ll try to be happy now…

• Jumwa says:

I don’t see anyone suggesting such a thing.

6. Icarus says:

The Steam store’s had a link selling Alienware PCs for… damn, ages. At least a year.

7. Lewie Procter says:

“Also: when did Steam become a hardware store too?”
    They’ve had a deal with Dell/Alienware for quite a while.

Edit: Although that is just a link to their site.

8. DSR says:

Let me see…

• Day one cash shop.

• Ingame movie advertising in Portal 2.

• Custom merchandise promotions with exclusive levels.

Fuck it, EA’s gone crazy! Confound them at once!
    Good to know, we still got wonderful companies like Valve which we can support and be their raging fanboys because they care about their customers first and their wallet second.

• rareh says:

All hail Valve !!

Funny thing is if someone new wants all P2 content he would need to spend:

80$ for day 1 DLC
      140$ for 10 levels
      40$ for the game
      =
      260+ $

Activision if you want to learn how to rip-off your customers learn from Valve they are prime at it.

• skinlo says:

Can’t tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

Super 8 isn’t in game, its a bonus level outside of the main game. Again, if Valve do more of this I have no complaint, the quality was good and it didn’t interfere with Portal 2.

Edit- rareh seems to think not. Waiting for him to crack out his anti Valve/Steam list.

• JackShandy says:

Good job, boys. Now that the invisible enemy you’re attacking has been vanquished the RPS comments section can live in peace.

• Mattressi says:

Portal 2 has advertising in the game? I don’t own it, so I wouldn’t know, but I’ve never heard of that. Tried googling it, but didn’t find anything. Is it true?

• Kaira- says:

@mattressi
      There was an in-game advert for some upcoming movie.

Edit:/ see below comments for clarification

• Tomm says:

But worth pointing out, not in the campaign, there was a trailer for Super 8, made in the Source engine, as a bonus accessible from the game menu.

• skinlo says:

No there wasn’t, at least not in the sense its being made like it sounds. When playing through the Portal 2 campaign, you will find no mention of a movie.

There was a bonus level which could be accessed under the bonus bit of the main menu, allowing a playable trailer of the new Super 8 movie. Its actually pretty cool, and I have no problem with it.

• aiusepsi says:

It’s in-game ad in the sense that, if you go to the “Extras” menu in the game, there’s a little Super 8 level you can play through. It’s actually pretty well done.

I have a feeling that they did it because Valve are pretty big J J Abrams fans (remember the Lost easter egg in Episode 2?) not because they we getting paid megabucks.

And they’re exclusive levels in the sense that a third-party company has made them to promote their bit of hardware. Newsflash: If you want people who aren’t Valve to make Portal 2 levels, there are a bunch of people out there on the Internet doing that for free.

• Premium User Badge Rinox says:

@ Matressi:

Unless you count te Aperture advertising, I didn’t see any (in the game).

• zeroskill says:

You stupid noobs are aware that there are free mapping tools out for Portal 2? And shitloads of maps already available for download? like hundreds? Stupid consumer victims.

• Bhazor says:

“Anyway, I’m all for day 1 shops as long as they only sell cosmetic items. If it means that funds extra map DLCs, then I’m all for it.”

You mean like a 10 level add on selling for $140. Because there is a chance they might do something like that.

• Rich says:

“You stupid noobs… etc.”
      Well aren’t you sweet.

• Ergates_Antius says:

Epic Fail!

• Day one cash shop.
      Selling nothing but cosmetic items which have no affect on the game whatsoever.

• Ingame movie advertising in Portal 2
      Which isn’t “in game” in any meaningful way at all (see above).

• Custom merchandise promotions with exclusive levels
      Custom levels not made by Valve, given away with a piece of hardware not made or sold by Valve.

Only bettered by:

Funny thing is if someone new wants all P2 content he would need to spend:

80$ for day 1 DLC
      140$ for 10 levels
      40$ for the game
      =
      260+ $

So thats $140 for a piece of hardware sold by a different company (you’ll need a PC too – why not factor in that cost too?), and $80 for a bunch non-essential cosmetic guff.

What planet do you people live on where any of the above forms a cogent argument?

If you’re going to hate Valve, fine, but at least come up with some legitimate reason for doing so, not just becase Alfred the magic unicorn you to.

• Tomm says:

I know Ergates_Antius, I know, it’s ridiculous. Rareh was spouting the same nonsense over here. It’s difficult arguing with idiots.

• Rich says:

Most people here don’t hate Valve. I for one think of them as one of my all time favourite developers.
      This particular marketing idea is a steaming pile of poo however.

• Tomm says:

This particular marketing idea they have very little to do with?

• godkingemperor says:

Not giving me everything for free?! Why Valve should be ashamed. All contents in the Steam store are entirely their responsibility and doing, and I don’t like it one bit how they won’t give it all to me for free!

• PoLLeNSKi says:

‘Also how many add ons has any of Valve’s games had recently that weren’t just extra hats?’
      @Bhazor
      TF2 launched with 6 maps, now has over 50, all free. (also ridiculous numbers of new weapons added which CAN be acquired for free)
      L4D launched with 4 maps, now 6 (+1 survival mode)
      L4D2 launched with 4 maps, now 9
      Half-life 2 has had 2 complete episodes as free DLC (still waiting for a third obv)
      They then released Alien Swarm, a complete game for free (and for a limited period Portal 1 was available for free)

• rayne117 says:

“This particular marketing idea they have very little to do with?”

Are you even paying attention?

Let me bre-bre-bre-break it down for you:

- Valve owns the Portal IP

- Valve allowed another developer to make DLC for Portal 2

- Valve made a deal with Stupid Controller Guys to make these levels exclusive to people who own Stupid Controller from Stupid Controller Guys.

Therefore: Valve is selling Portal 2 DLC maps (not the free ones, whenever those come out) for $125 or whatever it is for Stupid Controller.

• Gadriel says:

Anyone can make Portal 2 maps. Anyone. I could bundle ten Portal 2 maps I made myself with my new product if I wanted to.

• Bhazor says:

@ Gadriel
      No. No you couldn’t.
      @ Pollenski
      Key word: Recently
      Since the success of the hat store actual free DLC has almost evaporated.

Also the Half Life 2 episodes were in not free.

• Ergates_Antius says:

@rayne117
      No. Valve are allowing someone else to make DLC to give away alongside their gizmo which costs $140.
      The important differences being:
      a) Valve do not get the $140 from the sale (presumably they’ve already been paid for the marketing effort), Razor do.
      b) The money is for the Gizmo and the copy of Portal2, not for the extra levels. It is impossible to over emphasise this point. No-one is being charged $140 just for some extra levels.

Do. You. See ?

• Tomm says:

@rayne, apparently I’ve been paying more attention than you.

I don’t understand why there are people that are actually angry that someone else (not Valve) has made maps for Portal 2. They’re not Valve made maps so who the fuck cares about them.

@Bhazor, the free DLC for Portal 2 is coming this summer, a substantial update for TF2 just happened and another is going to happen within a month, what more do you want?

And Gadriel is right, I could make 10 Portal maps, and give them away free with my product if I wanted to. There’s nothing stopping me.

9. Spacewalk says:

Can we mount this controller on a hat in any way?

• brulleks says:

Shhh. Don’t give Valve more terrible ideas to plague TF2 with.

10. johnpeat says:

Another bit of hardware which will be in a skip within a year…

I suspect Valve have little to do with this outside of allowing them to create levels for the game/controller and taking a cut on sales – being upset you can’t have those levels is like complaining that you can’t take your Ferrari into a field and that the ‘LandRover specific’ level should be made available to Ferrari owners too…

• Teddy Leach says:

News just in: Fields are now levels. New clothes are DLC. Years are expansion packs.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

@ John, no, no it isn’t.

• Premium User Badge Rinox says:

I feel the real question here was if Portal 2 was a great game that was clearly not missing any content or levels. The answer to that would be a pretty resounding yes.

So what does it matter if 10 new non-Valve levels get licensed and linked to some gadget? Especially since this is a while after the game was released, it clearly has nothing to do with the game itself (ie the storyline, events). Just 10 standalone levels.

11. Vexing Vision says:

Awww, I want the DLC, but I don’t want the controller gimmick. :(

DISAPPOINT!

12. Aradayn says:

Did you watch the video? You could map the controls to a mouse, but it would be pretty awkward. You’d have to hold down function keys or something.
    There’s a video with the person’s hands overlayed: http://store.steampowered.com/app/901666/
    There are also a bunch of videos on the Youtube page for Sixense: http://www.youtube.com/user/sixensent

edit: Also, I would totally buy this thing if I had the money. I prefer Wii-style motion controls to the mouse and keyboard. (Blasphemy, I know. ;)
    It really looks a lot more precise than either the Wii remote or the PS3 move, and definitely more precise than the Kinect (though precision is not the point of Kinect)

13. SuperNashwanPower says:

I spot an Eddie Izzard fan! The first of Geoff, Nineteen-Geoffty-Geoff.

I knew there’d be a back door ….

• Bilbo says:

Yeah, I was going to say. Can’t access printer? I can access the printer!

14. Doug says:

The DLC is completely made by Razer, Valve didn’t touch it. They just licensed it to help Razer to promote their new controller.

Also, the controller comes with a new copy of Portal 2.

And Carmack approves it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmRrLgljYG0

15. GTRichey says:

Well it appears Australia gets the worst pricing. The US get it for about $AU135, UK for about $AU190 and down here they charge a whopping $AU230.

• bigtoeohno says:

tell me why our exchange rate does not effect digital purchase? GRRRR

• Doug says:

In Brazil it’s R$550, which is US$344.
      Top our 100% tax on electronic products!

• skinlo says:

Its because Australia is stuck in the middle of nowhere, and is a reasonably small market.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

@Bigtoe,

Well it’s simple, duh, our politicians get paid more. pfft.

• Deano2099 says:

Why? Because otherwise the price of goods would fluctuate wildly, while your wages stayed the same.

Is it annoying right now? Yes. But you can also get the opposite situation happening. Not to say you aren’t being ripped off, but it’s a lot more complicated than just sticking the numbers in a currency converter and complaining about it.

• GTRichey says:

I’m aware that economics isn’t as simple as just the basic numbers, but that doesn’t change the fact that this peripheral is overly expensive regardless of your location and that a $90 price difference between countries is overly high.

16. Premium User Badge Rinox says:

I’m not sure why I would want to pay to play Portal 2 levels that weren’t designed by Valve.

Free modder additions, sure, but I don’t care about any ‘DLC’ from a third party. Defo not worth buying that Hydra thing for.

• Gnoupi says:

I don’t see where you are paying to get levels for Portal 2.

You have the possibility to buy a controller (which can be used for something else than Portal 2, and might be actively supported by some games later, who knows), and it allows you to play levels in Portal 2 that you wouldn’t be able to play without the controller.

You have the causality in the wrong order here, I think

• Premium User Badge Rinox says:

Well, I don’t think anyone is paying for levels for Portal 2 with this myself. But that does seem to be what people who are irked by this are thinking, to one extent or another. “Why do they get these extra levels and we don’t? We don’t want to pay for a 140 bucks thingie to get these levels”.

17. zeroskill says:

Those levels look so basic I prolly could rebuild them myself in less then a day using the SDK. Nothing to see here really. RPS should focus their attention more on the mapping initiative from Thinking with Portals, and other mod projects happening right now. This is silly.

• skinlo says:

I doubt it.

Plus its gaming news, and more ‘official’ than any fan made maps.

• zeroskill says:

This will vanish as fast as it has appeard, nobody will care for this. Nobody in the real Portal 2 community forming up right now. Valve has been known for making expiriments, this looks just like one of it, and it will fail, and then it will vanish. Again, nobody is forced to buy this, the content offered isnt worth it, not by a long shot, especially when there is so much free contents already out. Which, at least some of them, are not just some “hobby” mappers, but people that have been working for longer with Hammer then some of the “offical” Valve emplyees.
      The only thing this will do is: People that have been dying to hate on Valve for whtever reason will use this to show the world what greedy basterds they are. Its really pathetic.

• skinlo says:

I agree it is a complete waste of time, but there will no doubt be some who buy it, and in the end its not actually much to do with Valve at all, the maps and controller were all made by a different company.

But you are right, Valve haters will grab hold of this and try and spin it to make Valve look bad.

• Premium User Badge Daiv says:

@zeroskill: Great. I’ll expect your version to be sent to RPS at the end of today. Tell you what, take two days and do a superb job and we will proclaim you King of Gamers.

• zeroskill says:

Daiv: Congratulations on succeeding in totally failing to see the point. Let me spell that out for you in clear words: There is an incredible amount of user created content out there (in fact, just have a look at http://www.thinkingwithportals.com/) yet Rock Paper Shotgun thinks this deserves more coverage. And in fact, mostly likely, to clear up the figure of speech that you obviously failed to understand, is of a much higher quality than this “DLC”.

18. Premium User Badge Diziet Sma says:

I watched the trailer last night actually whilst trying to work out exactly what the Hydra was. And although the device looks kinda neat having watched all their demo speels the Portal 2 content just isn’t Portal 2 any more to my mind. So as far as I’m concerned i’m not missing out on anything of note.

19. zeroskill says:

[moved]

20. Balm says:

I can’t understand why is that “infuriating” (other then severely marked up price). Nothing in this article is news, everything is as it was anounced to be in winter.

21. MajorManiac says:

This is clearly a slight misstep by Razer (or whoever makes Razer products) as the one thing that upsets people who play games….is not being aloud to play games.

A better approach would be to offer this new DLC to everybody, saying something like – “Look at this amazing DLC we made. We’re footing the bill, so you can have it for free. By the way, its best played on our (thingy).”

Win. Win.

• LionsPhil says:

The Internet would whine that they “crippled” it to be “unplayable” without their thingy.

There is no compelling reason to pander to the unpleasable hordes if they’re not giving you money.

22. Arki says:

“utterly absurd price of $140.”
    This includes a physical copy of Portal 2 (which is US$50 on Steam at time of writing), which is shipped to you with the Hydra. The DLC was specifically created by Sixense (the team behind the Hydra) as a bonus to go with the thing. They will releasing a non-Portal-bundle Hydra fairly soon for <$100. Quit getting your panties in a bunch over a device bundle you haven't looked at properly.

• Pinkables says:

This.
      Somehow i don’t own Portal 2 yet, so for me it places this item in the “very expensive” category rather than “monstrous”. If i had the money, i’d be rubbing my chin in a ponderous fashion by this point.
      Also, a near suspiciously long list of supported games: http://www.razerzone.com/minisite/hydra/supportedGames
      I wonder, real support, or “it works as a gamepad as well” support?

Edit: Strange to see Beyond Good and Evil in that list, since the PC version has no native controller support.

• rayne117 says:

Maybe Alec is speaking for the Brazilians of the world, who pay $344 for it.

• Ergates_Antius says:

I dunno – even $100 for a game controller seems pretty dear to me.

• Rob Maguire says:

@Pinkables: Glancing at the FAQ, game support seems to be done by configuration files specific to each title, with more downloadable configs promised for the future (and you can write your own).

23. Phyla says:

Actually I don’t loathe this particular peripheral-idea at all. I can see myself use it when I feel like gaming casually, hooking my PC up to my TV and dropping on the couch. No hassles with mouse+keyboard on my lap, just some easy fun time with pretty accurate motion controls. It also helps that with the Hydra you don’t have to swing your arms like crazy; according to the youtubes small gestures are sufficient.

24. Sinnorfin says:

Hm.. Just after portal2 i thought it would be a cool feature to have objects or yourself scaled by making one portal normal size and another that is smaller or bigger.. So if you go in a big portal and come out on the small you come out accordingly small as that portal suggests..

Also i could see another addition including land vehicles..a motorcycle thingy..to make use of incredible speeds.

25. vivlo says:

the whole thing is directed towards peoples who don’t already own portal 2, cause the genuine game is included in the bundle. It’s still a rather high price (100$ for the controller in us, and more everywhere else) and maybe it does mean that neither the controller or the DLC are worth it – otherwise there would be a lower-price selling solution to those who already own portal 2 surely.

26. Premium User Badge mrwonko says:

I’m genuinely interested in the Hydra but the price is pretty high. Yes, it includes Portal 2, but I already have that. So I’ll wait for a non-bundle version which should be a little cheaper. I wonder whether that will include the DLC for those who already have Portal 2 – I sure hope so. Well, I’m most interested in doing some Hydra coding so the DLC is not that important to me anyway.
    And those Euro prices sure suck. But that’s hardly news.

27. Premium User Badge shoptroll says:

Eh. I was actually surprised when this tipped up in the Steam store. For some reason I thought this was released at launch but I was wrong. Not something I’ll go out and grab (same with the Novint Falcon), but it’s a cool enough idea I guess.

Also, I still don’t get the gnashing of teeth over the Robot Enrichment content. You get the best hat from beating the campaign, and honestly they don’t add anything to the game being cosmetic items. No different than the Mann Co store in TF2, although not as fleshed out currently.

28. Dawngreeter says:

I wonder if people think tennis balls are expensive because you need to buy a tennis racket to use them.

Or that they’re being ripped off when they rent a football* court because they also need a volleyball net and ball if they want to play volleyball. They have already paid for the court, why would they need volleyball-specific peripherals to play volleyball!

*Soccer is not a sport name, it’s a United Statesian diagnosis

• Bungle says:

The word “soccer” came from England, nub.

• Bullfrog says:

Proponents of aSOCCiation football might disagree there, perhaps the correct abbreviation should be soccer football (gads but that’s a ghastly term) but I think we can forgive that.

*edit* disagree with the OP that is.

• Dawngreeter says:

Ah. So English words come from England. Who woulda thunk it.

• dsi1 says:

I was wondering how an Englishman would respond to someone from the US knowing about “Soccer” being coined in England.

I’m slightly disappointed.

• Ergates_Antius says:

Yes the word came from the UK, but no one outside of the US uses it.

The world over it is known as “football”.
      Seriously, go to any country on the planet and say “Football” (in English) and they’ll know what you’re talking about. Apart from America where they think you’re talking about Rugby for girls. (EDIT: or Australia where they think you’re talking about… some other kind of game which I don’t really understand).

29. lonesock says:

Forget the hardware and its price, watching them willfully stretch that cube’s texture went against every sensibility I have ever had towards gaming graphics. Gonna have nightmares…

30. cait_sidhe says:

Why do some people have such an aversion to even the most basic critical thinking? I fear for our future.

31. somini says:

If you add ?cc=us you can see the US Steam pages
    Also, cc=uk, cc=ru, cc=pt

32. godkingemperor says:

It’s actually pretty nice technology, utilising true 3D control in an electromagnetic field, rather than glowing balls and IR beams.

This, coupled with the Kinect SDK, and we could see some very creative PC creations soon.

33. PoLLeNSKi says:

reply fail

34. Bullfrog says:

What exactly is there that couldn’t be mapped to a keyboard/mouse combo? There’s a fair few keys on these things nowadays. Or is this merely shameless promotion by whoever makes the new controlly doodad?

• dsi1 says:

Well, looking around while moving in any direction is out…
      Manipulating an object while moving or looking is out…

You could do basic function by holding a modifying key and using the mouse but it still wouldn’t be the full experience.

35. stillwater says:

I’m all for this Hydra thing. I don’t like how Valve have dangled this expensive and exclusive carrot in front of our faces – especially when the movement could clearly have been emulated by k&m and/or a controller. That’s a little unsporting on Valve’s part.

But I do like that the PC has finally got a good motion controller. Diehard keyboard&mouse-only advocates are forgetting that one of the greatest things about PC gaming is versatility. Versatility in our ability to change graphical settings, use different hardware, use multiple monitors, apply different mods…..and use different control mechanisms.

I use k&m, a racing wheel, an xbox 360 gamepad, and a wacom tablet, all of which excel at different games. That ability to be able to select the perfect control scheme for any game is one of the things that IMO makes PC the superior gaming platform. Until recently, the one hole in that has been motion controllers. So I’m glad that this is on its way to being addressed.

Personally, I doubt I’ll buy a motion controller for at least a year or two, until it becomes better, cheaper, and more widely supported. But it’s great to see that the ball is rolling.

36. Premium User Badge Vandelay says:

I’m very tempted to buy this, despite the price. I’ve been anticipating this since it was originally shown of in January. Although I doubt it could let you compete in a multiplayer game against an average m+kb player (perhaps with a lot of practice, but I doubt it), but I expect it would be a lot of fun to use in the right single player game. Amnesia is one I am most looking forward to trying out, with its already immersive control scheme becoming even moreso when you are physically are reaching out to slowly open the door.

I really want to see this be a success, so that we can see games actually being deveoped with this device in mind. As someone said, imagine a Mount and Blade game that fully supported a two motion controllers each with analogue sticks. We could even see an Elders Scroll game with amazing combat!

37. Saiko Kila says:

I may buy it. I don’t have Portal 2 and never planned to get it. But a nice controller might be a good incentive. But I’d like to know more about support for other games first. And the price is not big at all – my keyboard was much more expensive, the same with combined price for two mice, not mentioning the rest of hardware. And free games coming with hardware is also a good thing. Otherwise I’d probably never played Crysis, Crysis 2 and the like.

38. mars3554 says:

Just got back from the UPS depot. Played around with the hydra controller. The setup they used gives me a damn headache. I couldn’t find a way to disable turning when the cursor is at the edges of the screen. The implementation is bad yes. This means that “gimme gimme” gamers are gonna complain. As a 9dof motion controller however, it is absolutely wonderful. I spent weeks looking at pictures to figure out how it could find absolute position using magnetics. It’s really clever, they have three coils each orthogonal to each other. (x,y,z axis) and they turn them on sequentially. (1st x, then y, then z) and take a reading. This way you don’t get the earths north pole direction like with typical magnetometers!
    This is really amazing. Gone are the days with clumsy infrared or blob detection. I really think that the future of local positioning systems is with this kind of orthogonal induced fields. Imagine gaming with no wires and have every joint tracked in 3d space.
    Mark my words, cheap wireless motion tracking controllers is the future of gaming.
    -sdk works, 2 files were corrupted and redownloaded-