The RPS Bargain Bucket: I’m Not Here

By Lewie Procter on June 18th, 2011 at 10:11 am.

Greetings from the past, readers. For a change, I’ve decided to spend this Saturday in a field in Somerset, waiting for Glastonbury festival to start. As such, I had a poke around on Thursday, and found some of the best deals that were already available for this weekend, and have stuck them in a wordpress time capsule, set to go live right about now. SavyGamer‘s going to be quiet (but probably not silent) whilst I’m away, and I’ve drafted in some subs for next week’s bucket. Since I’ll be missing some of the last minute discounts, please share any noteworthy games on sale in the comments.

Sword of the Stars Complete Collection – £4.49/Similar price in other currencies
This is on sale on both Impulse and GamersGate, for the UK it’s cheaper from Impulse, but for other regions I am not sure, so I suggest you check both to find which is cheapest for you. This complete collection comes with Born of Blood, A Murder of Crows and Argos Naval Yard expansions.

F.E.A.R. Collection – £9.99/€9.99/$9.99
F.E.A.R. 3 is out next week, so what better time to buy all of the old ones for cheap instead of the new one. This collection includes: F.E.A.R., F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point, F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate, F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin & Reborn DLC. Poor form on the regional price bollocks front, that’s an obscene price hike for GBP. Fear 1 was enjoyable enough, but I was never too fussed to seek out more. Keiron didn’t seem to think the sequel was anything to shout about either, but sometimes to shoot is enough. R3ad RPS cov3rag3 of the n3w on3 h3r3.

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! – A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, Gridrunner Revolution, Metal Drift, Starscape & Zombie Driver – £6.79/€8.79/$9.99
The first of Steam’s weekend indie bundles, here you get five games for roughly what any of them would sell for on their own. Kieron was a bit adoring of AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!, Gridrunner Revolution is brilliant, Zombie Driver is fun enough (and does basically what it says on the tin). The other two are unknown quantities to me, but as is often the case with these bundles, it’s worth the price based on a couple of the games alone, and it’s always nice to be surprised by a game.

A.R.E.S.: Extinction Agenda, Atom Zombie Smasher, Capsized, Machinarium & Swords and Soldiers HD – £6.69/€9.69/$9.99
The second of Steam’s weekend indie bundles, here you also get five games for roughly what any of them would sell for on their own. Here’s WITs from the RPS archives for Atom Zombie Smasher, Capsized, Machinarium & Swords and Soldiers HD. This seems like it’s possibly the better of the two bundles this week, although it will largely depend in your tastes, and which games (if any) you have already bought. It’s a shame they aren’t giving you gift licenses for duplicate games huh?

Deal of the week
Defense Grid: Gold – £2.90/Similar price in other currencies.
This includes the original game plus the Resurgence and Borderlands DLC packs. Anyone played either of those DLC packs? It’s a brilliant deal for the game on its own regardless. There has been a lot of decent indie tower defence games over the last few years, we’re really spoiled for choice, but for my money Defense Grid is still one of the best around. RPS coverage here.

Also of note:
Europa Universalis 3 Complete – £2.49/€3.74/$3.74
Europa Universalis 3 Chronicles – £6.24/€7.49/$7.49

You can find lots more cheap games on SavyGamer.co.uk.

__________________

« | »

1. KauhuK says:

Nothing here that interests me. I’ll be waiting for Steam summer sale.

2. aircool says:

Please take some photos of those numpties who bring their own stone circles to Glastonbury. It was one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen.

Meanwhile, more BFBC2, a new minecraft server to get stuck into, and something to do with free games on my PS3???

3. ShedMonkey says:

I’m quite keen on giving EU3 a spin. Any advice on what version a beginner to the series should go for?

• Om says:

Chronicles is what you want. Its basically Complete plus an additional two (very good) expansion packs. This is the cheapest I’ve seen the whole package and definitely worth picking up if you’ve any interest in the series at all

• Preciousgollum says:

You might aswell go for the Chronicles version as the complete one isn’t as ‘complete’ as it suggests. The Chronicles version contains everything from Complete aswell as Heir to the Throne and Divine Wind.

£6 for the whole lot is a good deal. There is a demo on steam that is patched to include Heir to the Throne if you wish to give it a try; the game isn’t as difficult to learn as people suggest or as it might first appear – it will look a bit different, however, with the installation of Divine Wind.

• ShedMonkey says:

Thanks for the advice. I’ll check out the Steam demo and if I can get my head round the game I’ll go for the chronicles version from GG.

• Maltose says:

Better yet, just go on youtube and look for a “Let’s Play EU3″ video. The game isn’t terribly hard to learn, but the game isn’t that good at teaching you what you need to do. A let’s play video will give you a good idea of what the game is like.

4. Flint says:

A bit pre-emptive but apparently GOG.com will start some massive sales thing on Monday. Or something. “Staycation” is what they call it. They’re being vague and cryptic again.

• iniudan says:

Would be easier to just list the time they are not vague and cryptic, since they do it all the time. =p

• lurkalisk says:

The damn name of the website is “gog”, and they mention rarely what that stands for. Anything less cryptic would be insulting.

Thus, I shall wait for moon’s day.

• rayne117 says:

GoG stands for “Good old Games”. I thought everyone knew that.

• lurkalisk says:

We all know what it stands for, but it’s rare you see anything but “gog” anymore, rather than “good old games”.

• P7uen says:

And another thing, what is all this ‘RPS’ nonsense, bloody acronyms. And get off my lawn!

5. airtekh says:

I mentioned this on the forums, but just in case anyone didn’t see it:

Left 4 Dead 2 is the daily Steam deal at 66% off. That’s £5.10, $6.80 and €6.80, as far as I can make out.

This deal runs out in about 7 hours time. Requires Steam, natch.

It’ll probably be discounted during Steam’s ultra mega sale if you miss it anyway.

• Driadan says:

It’s 4,76€

• zeroskill says:

If you havent picked up L4D2 on one of the many deals it already had, you should. You wont get better value for 5 bucks anywhere else.

• airtekh says:

@Driadan
      Unfortunately for us Europeans, it’s not. It’s only €4.76 if you convert from the dollar price. My steam store page says €6.80. Just another example of the stupid European pricing system I’m afraid.

For two euro, I wouldn’t be too bothered about the difference, but there are loads more examples where the price difference is ridiculous.

steamprices.com tells you exactly how much you’re being shafted. Check out the ‘Top Rip Offs’ section.

• Xocrates says:

@airtekh: Don’t forget that there are 2 EU steam regions, one of which has “fair” prices on Valve games. I can confirm that over here the game costs 4.76€

• zeroskill says:

it depends on where you live in Europe. There are different tiers, it makes a difference between richer countries and countries where people generally earn less for the same work.. Here:
      You can be assured that, lets say, in Germany, you still have to pay less in general for video games then people living in tier 2 countries, if you take into account how little money they make in some of those countries compared with tier 1.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

@Zeroskill,

Unless you live in Australia, as we can only get the censored version, y’know the one with all the blood and good stuff removed, so, alas, it’s a non-purchase for me.

I miss R18 Ratings for videogames. :’( Apparently according to most australian MPs only 15 yo kids play videogames. I hate this place.

• scienceshoew says:

@ Corrupt_Tiki

I held off because of the no-gore thing for a while too, but it’s still a great game and totally, totally worth that price.

I mean, it would be great if the government would grow up and allow flaming dismembered zombies to be portrayed on computer screens in the same way as they are on movie screens and all. But no-gore L4D2 is still better than most games, even still-gory L4D1.

• luminosity says:

Do you know anyone in another country you can send the money to and get them to gift you a copy? I got mine gifted by an American friend, so full gore. Having seen the other one in action it makes a huge difference.

• Saiko Kila says:

@zeroskill
      About these 2 Tiers – despite what the site says, it seems that most of games in Europe are treated as Tier 1 for Tier 2 countries. They have the same price everywhere, when in Euros. Valve’s games are an obvious exception. Actually, I couldn’t find any other exception, but maybe there are, for example indies forced by evil Valve to do it.

6. MuscleHorse says:

Atom Zombie Smasher is one of the better releases of the year, well worth grabbing along with the other items in that pack.

• Chibithor says:

Yeah. Atom Zombie Smasher, along with Machinarium and Defense Grid are all pretty great games, and they all have demos on Steam too, so everyone should check them out.

• CMaster says:

+1 for AZS. Simple but brilliant game with great post-release and mod support.

• Chris D says:

Yeah, I picked up Atom Zombie Smasher among others a couple of days ago and I really like it. It’s a game that would really benefit from a longer demo. I had a look when RPS first posted about it and came close to buying but didn’t feel the demo did quite enough to convince me. If it had been a bit longer I probably would have gone for it then.

Generally I think it pays dev’s to be generous with demo’s. There have been a few games that have almost caught my attention but not quite done enough, while Recettear and SpaceChem were both generous and I couldn’t give them my money fast enough. Of course, does help that they were both superb.

7. Shadowcat says:

FEAR Collection on Steam is showing as US$20 (50% off), not US$10.

8. Carra says:

I’ve been wanting to buy Atom Zombie Smasher so this looks like a good time. Too bad I already have Machinarium.

• DerShcraa says:

Give it a go.
      I’m happy with my 9Euro purchase, for the game alone.

9. Preciousgollum says:

Anybody have an insight into the quality of Tom Clancy’s EndWar?

• Heliocentric says:

Tom. Chick really liked it, but then he is an odd one.

• malkav11 says:

Depends on what you want it for. If like me you like a good scripted RTS campaign, EndWar is complete rubbish. If you’re really into skirmishes, maybe it’ll do something for you, I dunno.

10. Jumwa says:

That ARES game in the Indy Variety bundle was my whole reason for caving. When I saw the resemblance to Megaman X I was instantly hooked. Wasn’t disappointed either. It’s a very interesting game inspired by the blue bomber. Lots of fun and I’m just hoping they do go ahead and release more chapters of it.

11. MadTinkerer says:

Once again the indie bundles are of no use to me as I own all of them already. Some of the newer releases that I haven’t yet purchased need to band together!

12. magnus says:

Starscape’s O.K., but the last boss? Arrrrrggghhh, so annoying!

13. Vandalbarg says:

Ohhh I’ve been waiting for a sale with Divine Wind in it. 7 Dollars with it and rebuying all the older expansions, or 20 Euro for it on it’s own? I know which I’m getting. There goes my weekend.

• Preciousgollum says:

You must have missed it when Divine Wind was about £2.80 to buy :(

14. Wulf says:

I can’t recommend Defence Grid enough. It’s a tower defence game with lots of personality and a decent storyline, it’s actually something that pulls you in, and sometimes I even wonder if I should be feeling whether the talent there should’ve gone to some other genre than tower defence. But I love the game so much that I don’t care, and the tower defence mechanics are some of the best I’ve ever seen, too.

Defence Grid I literally just cannot recommend enough.

• Preciousgollum says:

Defense Grid: Includes Patrick Stewart voice impersonator.

• Chris D says:

Defence Grid is really good. Probably the best take on tower defence I’ve seen. Other contenders are Plants vs Zombies and Immortal Defence but they’re all very different games.

• Shadowcat says:

I assume that if one found both Plants vs Zombies and Immortal Defence to be entirely tedious in their respective demo forms, there’s really little point in looking at Defense Grid?

• Deano2099 says:

Yeah – the DLC is good too, no storyline but some interesting and different levels that work a bit differently, along with more of the same.

• johnpeat says:

The thing which makes Defense Grid work is that it’s mazes are perfection.

Your towers aren’t just about damage and range, they’re about turning the level into the most perfect killing-maze possible. Every level is tuned to ensure that you can complete it with some skill, but perfecting it will take a lot more (and thus the game gets it’s endless replayability)

It’s one fault is the unavoidable ‘enemy dies near the door – another enemy grabs cell and leaves” thing – that can grate a bit but it just means you’ve not made the right maze yet.

Things like not having to rewind too-far when you screw-up ensure you learn fast – it’s just a quality piece of work.

I reckon I’ve probably played every TD game there is – DG is the one I go back to every time tho.

• Chris D says:

Shadowcat

Plants vs Zombies and Immortal Defence are both different enough from each other that I’m guessing you just don’t like tower defence games, in whuch case defence grid probably won’t work for you either. On the other hand it is different again from both of those two. Plants vs Zombies goes for the fun, cute and casual angle. Immortal defence has the epic storyline and metaphysics. Defense Grid is the most straight take on tower defence of the three but is the most graphically impressive, arguably the most polished and allows you to redirect the paths of the invaders. If that hasn’t put you off completely then the demo is well worth a look.

• Severian says:

Agreed. I’m quite partial to the tower-defense genre, and I consider Defense Grid the best there is. The level designs are impeccable (and often extraordinarily difficult), and the range of towers you can build and upgrade is greatly satisfying. Plus, my favorite feature is that you can just hit BACKSPACE to “go back in time” a bit to the last checkpoint, in case you made a mistake and don’t want to restart the whole level. Makes being a perfectionist (which is kind of necessary on a lot of the DLC levels) much less annoying.

15. Colonel J says:

Gal Civ II Ultimate Edition, £6.04 / $9.99 on Impulse this weekend.

Had this on my should-get list for a while, really liked the demo. Just wish I could afford the time to get into another big time-sink strategy game when I’ve barely touched AI War and EUIII for months.

• johnpeat says:

I bought GalCiv II retail boxed when new – didn’t like it much so I sold it on.

It’s still sitting in Impulse, ready to install, is that piracy then? :)

16. _Jackalope_ says:

Telltale have got an insane 75% off sale all this month.

• Kaira- says:

Yeah, I bought Sam&Max all seasons, 12.xx dollars for the games and 13.xx dollars for postage. Oh well.

17. Kaira- says:

Bought EU III Chronicles, I hopy I soon get some time to try it out. Also, monday begins GOG summer sales, which means my wallet is going to weep. Hard.

18. MattM says:

I would like to give some props for the first F.E.A.R. expansion pack. It was very nihilist.

• Shadowcat says:

The gameplay in Extraction Point was great, but the story was dreadful so set your expectations on that front as low as possible.

• Shadowcat says:

MattM’s appraisal is entirely apt, though, if that’s what you’re looking for.

19. MrTambourineMan says:

1$ =/= 1€ I’ll keep on stressing this fact till I drop dead.

20. Eschatos says:

Please note, Stargate from the first indie bundle is awful. If you buy the bundle don’t bother to install it.

• Qeyleb says:

If you mean Starscape, I’m going to have to disagree. I will agree with others that the end boss is crap, but I have yet to find a more fun “Asteroids-clone with mineral harvesting to get resources for ship upgrades” type of game.
      I do realize not every game is for everyone. Why didn’t YOU like it?

21. Surgeon says:

I’ve just finished The Witcher, and as I’d added The Witcher 2 to my basket on Direct2Drive, I thought it would be a good idea to double check, even though it’s been the chepeast I’d seen for a while at £28.

Quick search on SavyGamer and hey presto! £20 from Dixons Online.
    Cheers Lewie :D

Now only 11 hours and 4 minutes to go.
    Come on internet, get a move on.

• Colonel J says:

That’s the downside of Dixons unfortunately – the bloody abysmal slowness of their P2P download service. A 10GB download of one of their free launch games took 30hrs. I couldn’t see a way to pause it to resume later either so I’m assuming a connection drop would have required starting again.

They’re going to have to sort this out, or be a lot cheaper than that Witcher 2 deal for me to want to bother with them again.

22. arghstupid says:

I’m silly hyped about glaso right now. I’d be envious that you’re already on site but I”ve done the working the festival thing before and there’s only so many lentil based dishes a man can take. Not like you’ll actually ever read this, just need to vent a little excitement so that I don’t accidentally explode.

23. TenjouUtena says:

Also, Rift is $10 this weekend. If you like MMOs, it’s probably worth $10

24. MrBRAD! says:

Origin BF3 31.99 USD, and the Limited edition for 48.43 USD I’m amazed these deals aren’t in the Bargain Bucket post itself!

• Heliosicle says:

this site legit?

• Mac says:

BF3 Limited Edition was ~£20 on the EA Store not so long ago … another one of their discount codes gone silly :)