Red Orchestra 2 Server Options Detailed

By Quintin Smith on June 20th, 2011 at 1:17 pm.

Easy, lads! Don't you know that fools Russ ian

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad, the sequel to jaw-droppingly bleak 2006 multiplayer FPS Red Orchestra (which you can read me screaming about here), is absolutely the PC exclusive on the horizon that I’m most excited about. Just look here at the features list. They’re taking a rich, rare little game and turning it into a beast. A beast! With bullets for teeth!

Anyway, Blue’s News have spotted a thread on the “Bash and Slash” forums (ew) and another thread on the PBBans forum where people are reporting on the game’s cheating countermeasures and impressive array of server options (including a server tool to allow hosts to modify everything from weapons to scoring elements). It’s all to be found after the jump.

In short, RO2 will feature ranked dedicated server support (as well as unranked), it’ll utilise both Punkbuster and Valve Anti-Cheat and the game will ship with the following slightly techy extra:

- RO TV 2.0 – a fully featured spectator mode (1st, 3rd and freecam) for broadcasting and moviemaking

- SDK – full Software Development Kit and mapping tool out of the box

- Demo Recording – fully supported, to allow for immediate inclusion intournaments, LANs etc

- LAN Support – the game is LAN friendly and features LAN specific functionality. TWI also plan to sponsor LANs financially for HoS

- Custom Server Configs – Server configs are fully customizable, so rulesets areeasily created for organizations like ESL, Clanbase, eSports Portal, etc.

- Fully Modifiable Gameplay – A host of variables controllable server side with a bespoke server tool, to ensure balanced and fair play. This includes weapons,classes, game types, gameplay elements and scoring elements – back to the good old days!

- Client Optimization – Your own preferences are fully adjustable, including fullkey bind, HUD configuration etc

Hooray! Back to the good old days indeed. Here, have a lengthy video walkthrough to see what’s got me so excited.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. President Weasel says:

Please remind me to buy this when it’s out so I can reward them for putting proper server options in (and coincidentally have a good shooty game in return for my money)

2. Alexander Norris says:

I would like to buy this right now and also ideally play this right now.

• Njordsk says:

Yes sir !

I’d like it to come out BEFORE battlefield. I know they’re not exact competitor, but for me they are, as I intend to spend a whole lot of time on BF3.

This game looks amazingly good though.

• timmyvos says:

I think Tripwire is planning to release ROHOS in late July or August so, unless anything goes wrong, it’ll be released roughly two months before Battlefield.

• Sassenach says:

That’s much sooner then I was expecting. I do enjoy it when such things sneak up like that.

3. GraveyardJimmy says:

Might also be worth noting there are already mods in development, due to tripwires embracing of the modding community:
    Rising Storm (pacific mod),
    Incountry (Vietnam mod, with helicopters)

It is also likely there will be a Darkest Hour 2, judging by responses from DH team members on their forums.
    Lots to look forward to!

• timmyvos says:

You forgot the WH 40K Mod.

• Dana says:

@timmyvos
      You forgot Darkest Hour 2.

• tomeoftom says:

Oh, noooooo. That Vietnam mod will consume me like a gelatinous couch, and I don’t think I’ll be found under the cushions for a good six months. I can actually feel some kind of physical yearning in my chest for it, which is hugely, hugely disturbing. Thanks, Jimmy.

Thimmimmimmy.

• timmyvos says:

@Dana Gravejard Jimmy already mentioned the Darkest Hour 2 mod so I figured it didn´t need to be mentioned.

4. bill says:

Between the Gods and Heroes Ad and the Animated Dungeon Siege 3 Ad, RPS has been over-run by ladies asses.

That’s not really connected to Red Orchestra, but that always sounded too confusing. It’s a little surprising for a site that’s such a champion of sexual-equality for game characters though.

Down with this sort of thing! Careful now!

• john_silence says:

This.

• sassy says:

RPS doesn’t handle their own ads. They used to but according to them weren’t very good at making that profitable (though the ads back then were better), no eurogamer handles ads which is why we get so arse.

• bill says:

its ok. I’ve adblocked it after getting dodgy looks.

5. tomeoftom says:

TAKEMYMONEYplease. I cannot see how they could possibly be a more capable, interesting, and conscientious developer.

6. john_silence says:

It’s one of those rare games on the horizon I wish I could be playing right now, forgetting about my years-old backlog. I don’t much care for server options as I feel I’m going to want to play this vanilla and won’t much bother with kits and bits, but it’s nice to see one more token of PC dedication.

And it will prove a good marketing tool to have hundreds of silly/terrifyingly real HoS videos popping up on Youtube!

7. metalangel says:

On my Steam wishlist. No online pass, no day-one DLC or ‘elite’ membership or other crap. This immediately makes it more favourable than BF3.

8. westyfield says:

That alt-text made me laugh, stare incredulously, shake my head, then laugh some more.
    Nice one, Mr Smith.

9. Kuroko says:

Me wants!! :)

10. Hentzau says:

Tripwire are the only developer I’ve bought DLC from purely because I wanted them to have more of my money.

11. Jesh says:

Gotta have it as soon as this one drops. Anyone got an ETA?

• Red Rabbit says:

My guess is September/October 2011. According to the last developer post on the forum it will take at least “a couple of months”. That’s at least two months maybe three. They’re still in the secret-closed beta, then comes the closed beta and then open beta and after that perhaps if were lucky, the release of the actual game.

12. Commissar says:

I fukken love RO.

It’s the only game where I’ve had to go sit outside in silence for a few minutes after a round.

13. Boozebeard says:

Red Orchestra 2 > Battlefield 3

• Jesh says:

That still remains to be seen… although their server options are certainly lots better than DICE’s.

14. Dozer says:

Are server admins better at balancing the game than the game’s developers?

I haven’t played Red Orchestra. But I’ve played a lot of TF2. And one of the most frustrating thing about TF2 is trying to find a good server where the respawn times haven’t been slashed (making the attacking team unable to win) and critical hits haven’t been disabled. I hope that any server customisation will be clear from the player’s server browser in a way the server admins can’t bypass (ie something more robust than expecting the admin to write ‘norespawn’ in the tags field).

• Web Cole says:

“Are server admins better at balancing the game than the game’s developers?”

Pretty much this.

• aiusepsi says:

That drives me crazy in TF2. I have literally no idea why server admins insist that people really, really, want to play unwinnable meat-grinders. Anybody that puts Goldrush onto the rotation on a no respawn server should be taken outside and executed as an example to the others.

Anyways, it’s really hard to stop server admins gaming the system because they can just patch the software in memory to evade any blocks you put in, which is what happened in TF2. The tags are created automatically when you change the game rules, but they just hacked the software to just zero out the tags again. Really, really lame.

The only real solution would be to run anti-cheat on the servers, and ban any server that modified the game. But then you’d need server owners to pay up some kind of deposit so that you could actually have a ban have any real consequence. People might have issues with that! Also probably tricky to implement in terms of just logistics; handling the money, refunding the money, etc.

• rammjaeger says:

In the server browser you’ll be easily able to tell if the servers are running the “vanilla” game, or a heavily modified game. The vanilla game will show up in the server browser as “Standard” or “Realistic” mode, and you’ll easily be able to tell that the server is running those modes so you can get the “stock” game experience. Servers that change options that heavily modify the gameplay will show up as “Custom” mode in the server browser.

• wazups2x says:

@rammjaeger

Sounds great! That’s how all server browsers should be.

I can’t wait for this game!

15. Novotny says:

Quinns – you must find out whens. We needs to knows.

16. ScubaMonster says:

Tripwire is and always will be a favorite company of mine. Killing Floor is spectacular. Can’t wait for this one.

And yes, I realize Killing Floor is a UT mod made into a retail game, but the retail version is a billion times better.

17. Skusey says:

Russ ian? Fuck’s sake.

18. Red Rabbit says:

it’ll utilise Punkbuster

GOD DAMN IT, TRIPWIRE

• Davee says:

^ My only worry right now. PB has a way of severely pulling down server performance and causing client connection issues…

VAC is fine however, never had or heard of any problems regarding it.

19. pagad says:

I’m buying it simply because it has a German singleplayer campaign.

20. Jumwa says:

How lovely! I do enjoy options. Lots and lots of options. I shall pick it up just because, if for nothing else.

21. rareh says:

These realistic slow-paced shooters that favor camping are so boring.
    I would take unreal, quake, warsow or urban terror, over this any day.

• Red Rabbit says:

Have you even played the first game? It seems you have not.

But trash talking is always easier than actually using your brain for once, right?

• Lukasz says:

tank maps were slow…. boring tough? ridding in a team of five tanks, organizing an attack on enemy’s position.
      far from boredom.

and on feet the game was not slow. only snipers could camp defending a position while everybody else had to push. benefit of slow firing and inaccurate at the distance weapons.

had so much fun in RO and then australian server died :( can’t wait for RO2.

• Gaytard Fondue says:

We should be glad he can talk, seems to be a major achievement within his tribe.

• rareh says:

@Red Rabbit
      I played the fist one and it was pretty much dead, very boring campy game, even cs has less camp.
      This is a thing that plagues realistic shooters.
      About the brain thing, in quake, unreal and warsow , you need to time several items(health,armor,weapons) at the same time, control the map, delay items to confuse him, outsmart your opponent aka predict what he is going to do etc.
      Here is an example of a duel game, by one the smartest players in quake live.

I bet even COD takes more brain then RO.

• tubby says:

Ro2 will be the best thing that happent for PC gaming in quite some time and the support and dedication of the developers seems to be really high.

@rareh
      Looks like we’ve a big time troll on our hands, camping or slow gameplay but intense firefights is a part of the game, its a realistic game not some version of Cod Or Css. Still you fail and compare CSS with RO saying that CSS has less camping “No shit sherlock its a 5v5 arcade shooter on a 0.2 km map”.

And saying that Quake,Painkiller or whatever takes more brains and tactics than RO, just shows how clueless and redicilous you are. Now go troll somewhere else, preferably in the MW3 or BF3 camp.

22. Misnomer says:

Options breed empty servers. I like options as much as the next server admin, but I have also had enough experience to know that eventually there are only 1 or 2 rulesets that populate. If you are lucky there may be 1 or 2 mods that do as well. That is counting on a COD or Battlefield size community, with less that that it is a bit rougher.

I have run COD4, COD5, BC2… and it always comes down to the fact that if you want your server to populate you have to appeal to one of the large groups of gamers: Casual pubbers or competition folk. There just aren’t enough inbetween if you don’t have a massive clan. You also better have that massive clan if you want to play unranked. Ranked reigns supreme and only really fun mods have a chance of populating…even then… it is tough.

Anyone remember playing COD4: Old School ruleset? Yeah, might have gotten on one of those servers in the first week. Then never again. Hardcore versus non-hardcore already splits communities. You start getting: ranked, unranked, realisitic, standard, large maps with vehicles only, infantry only, super anal realism clan with ironsight only crouch only rules beyond comprehension, 4 different mods…. Something is going to give because there are not enough players to populate them all.

So don’t go into this game thinking it will be whatever you want it to be. That is only true if you play with bots. This game will be whatever the majority of the community wants it to be. Like TF2 being mostly 32 man spam fests, or no crit, no spread, 5 cp map competition setups with little inbetween outside of the ludicrously modded.
    Of course when the entire thing degenerates into 24/7 on the largest vehicle map and 24/7 on the smallest infantry map later in its lifespan the early divergent times will seem like heaven.

• DOLBYdigital says:

Interesting point Misnomer… Coming from a player only perspective, I admit I always liked more options and more mods for games. I have realized that it can split communities but still felt that choice and variety were important. I also felt they would help with delaying the inevitable same map/game type situations you mention. However it seems with the more mainstream/casual games today, this downward spiral happens quicker since more people are looking for the same thing in their game and not variety… *grumble grumble*

23. tomeoftom says:

Lukasz: Let’s make a pact to play the absolute shit out of RO2, even if it’s just the two of us on the one operational server, for ever and ever and ever. We cannot afford to let such a tragedy happen again. I came really, really late to the Red Orchestra party after reading Quinns’ Battle Klaxon on it ages ago, and my game-heart breaks when I realise how many amazing times I could have had playing it.

24. Davee says:

Been waiting for this one for a good while. I’ve played RO since the UT2004 mod, both competitively and casually and love both it and Ostfront ever since. Easily one of my most-anticipated titles right now.

Come on, Tripwire – I want to give you my money and help the development in Beta! :)

25. gasteropod says:

Looking forward to fisting machine-gun positions with panzerfausts.

• timmyvos says:

Unfortunately the Panzerfaust was invented in 1943 and Red Orchestra 2 is between 1941-1942 so you can’t use it.

26. Xiyng says:

Now THIS is how you support the PC community. LAN support ftw!

27. DrGruu says:

Slow death, peripheral vision… genius

28. wodin says:

RO was the only game I played online…I only hope RO2 hasn’t been dumbed down to much to grab the CoD and BF crowd…fingers crossed…either way it’s a first day buy for me…

29. rocketman71 says:

Nice to see someone in this industry has some fucking idea of how things should be done.

I’ll preorder the moment it’s available in Steam.