Indie Game: The Movie: The Trailer

By Brendan Caldwell on June 21st, 2011 at 10:00 am.

Levinim Font: The Movie

Indie Game: The Movie has been in the making for a good while now and all the bits we’ve seen so far have been fairly interesting. The filmmakers are into the final stretch of post-production now and to rally the hounds of publicity they’ve released an official trailer, which I should warn you contains footage of some intense-looking young men in thick-rimmed glasses.

The production team has also fired up a Kickstarter campaign, with a goal of $35,000 to fund the finishing touches and they’ve already raised a boatload on their first day.

With interviewees like Team Meat and Jonathan Blow, it should offer an interesting glance at the indie life. At the very least it will fill a hole until somebody makes a sufficiently hilarious docu-drama about the development of Duke Nukem Forever, with the requisite amount of historical inaccuracy and improbable sex scenes. Something like The Tudors.

, , , .

1. karry says:

Is there supposed to be a video ? Doesnt load.

2. Atic Atac says:

So will Fez ever come out? By now I expect it to be the sum total of Braid+Super Meat Boy awesome.

• McDan says:

And it has a fez! Fez’ are cool, but seriously it does look good. The entire thing looks good and interesting as well.

He even has little fez children HOW IS THAT NOT AWESOME.

3. certificate says:

subsequent graduation replica wallets went exact an american city, parted business however.Old buddy meets, cannot support asking to element burberry sale reason. He also calm, talk bluntly two many different people prada sale are jointly improper. His madam these times could possibly be the youthful staff members of your unit, miu miu sale virtuous partner good mother,

• Nighthood says:

What this guy said.

• Koozer says:

As spambots keep evolving they only get more hilarious. It’s a win-win situation!

• DeathHamsterDude says:

This is like coming face to face with the T1000 after having only faced the Series 800 terminators before. It’s scary how real they’re getting. For a second I thought it was someone who only spoke English as a foreign language, but then I was like, nope, sentient killer robot.
      Thanks Cyberdyne.

• Burning Man says:

I have to concur. The seemingly random ‘SALE!’ links really add to the paragraph’s depth and flavour.

Daiv says:

I’ve read less coherent and relevant posts from Real Humans(TM).

4. StickyNavels says:

My speakers are kinda fucked up at the moment, so I can’t hear anything. But that looks to be a very pretty documentary.

5. crainey92 says:

I’m an indie fan although sadly I’m not a massive fan of platformer games if that makes sense (since most indie titles featured here are just that). I love these kind of things and I may just go contribute towards it though from the looks of it they won’t be needing my support soon enough. When are we going to see anything of that Minecraft Documentary 2PP was making, it looked fantastic and I love Notch.

6. JFS says:

Indie film makers making an indie film about indie game designers may just be indieing it too much a little, but it looks interesting nonetheless. I imagined them indie game makers more normal, though. They look like they were torn out of a nerd classification book, and they talk just that way. Don’t get me wrong, however, the movie looks very interesting. Just some little funny observations ;)

• Alexander Norris says:

They all look like hipsterssssssssssssssss. Indie to the max.

Except Blow, he looks like a retired US Marine.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Trendy and nerdy social strata overlapping… cats and dogs living together…

• Wulf says:

“Except Blow, he looks like a retired US Marine.”

I was mildly o_O about that, too.

7. Masked Dave says:

So can Indie games only be platformers then?

8. Phyla says:

Groom your beards properly, gentlemen. There’s a difference between letting your secondary sex characteristics flourish and growing a beard.

• McDan says:

You don’t get it do you? They’re outside the law! Plus there’s a lawful requirement that at least one member of an indie dev team must have flourishing facial hair.

• DeathHamsterDude says:

There’s a difference. I’m bearded. These dudes just have random hairy patches on their faces. Either grow it in properly or don’t have one. They look horrible patchy. I remember the last time RPS covered this the dev being interviewed (can’t remember his name, although it might have been Daisuke Amaya of Cave Story, but I can’t remember) had a really terrible patchy moustache too. It seems a prerequisite.

• Tei says:

Is good that all indie people looks like indie people.

On the open source world (the one that I know more), most people looks like sysadmins or c programmers. Except some womens that looks like pretty math theachers.
      Wen I was young, I was like a c programmer, but as I get older I look more and more like a sysadmin.

• Wulf says:

John of Wolfire has (had?) interesting facial hair, too. Hell, at one point it was pink.

I love Wolfire.

9. man-eater chimp says:

The music in that trailer is fantastic!

10. N says:

What faggotry.

Daiv says:

Has there been another influx from Steam? It’s about that time of year. Ah, remember the 5 billion post long Counter Strike thread in which hundreds of people couldn’t fathom that RPS isn’t Valve? Good times, good times.

• pipman3000 says:

^^

I agree

11. Spliter says:

I’m so hyped for that movie I can’t keep my pants on.
    Which is quite troubling considering I’m at work.

12. The_Great_Skratsby says:

As much as I enjoy the subject matter, mein gott the way the trailer has been done – these dramatic poses and shots reeks pretentiousness. That and why such a focus on platformers, or are we sticking with the ‘indie equates to nostalgia 2D platforming throwback’ to so the film is a ‘brand of cool”? Just taking a stab.

• Stephen Roberts says:

Your stab is super effective!

Maybe they blew the dramatic shots budget on the trailer. But I have a feeling it’s hyperbole time.

13. mpk says:

Oh my, those beards.

14. We win says:

Seems a touch overwrought, though the photography is fantastic. Also, SNES controller?

15. RagingLion says:

I think I’ll look forward to watching this. I like the artistic shots – hopefully they are in service of the whole film and work well with it all.

16. John P says:

Looks really interesting.

I’m a bit put off by one of them claiming games are the sum total of every expressive medium that’s ever existed, though. That’s flat out nonsense.

• drdss says:

I think he was just saying “it has pretty pictures, and it has music, and it has a story – but you can play it”.

I seriously doubt he’s trying to claim game design is better than what came before, just that it draws upon all the other arts to make something new.

17. Ovno says:

Looking forward to this, hopefully taking that plunge soon myself so it’l be good to see how they did it.

18. povu says:

Jonathan Blow is lacking glasses.

19. DeanLearner says:

It appears I will need to grow some unruly facial hair if I am to become an indie game developer.

20. vash47 says:

Hipsters: The Game: The Movie: The Documentary.

21. thesundaybest says:

Sponsored this on Kickstarter – very excited. As for the comments above, sure, I guess, but they’re still the developers on those games.

22. belger0g says:

I enjoy indie games like anyone else, but do they really have to look and sound so pretentious? I doubt that indie game development is the only job where you have a lot at stake.

What the hell was that part with the dude jumping in the pool?

23. BeamSplashX says:

It looks neat, though I got a different impression from interviews and the like with these developers than what this trailer presents. Seems quite serious- not to say that there isn’t a serious/passionate core to what they do, but what about levity?

P.S. UNDERWATER GLASSES.