Update: Alleged LulzSec Suspect Arrested

By Alec Meer on June 21st, 2011 at 4:27 pm.

Update 3: Lulzsec, still very much active on Twitter, are denying that the arrested man is one of their members, though rumour is he did help run their IRC channel.

Update 2: Now the BBC are saying that the 19-year-old hacker arrested has been named by locals of Wickford as Ryan Cleary. The same Ryan Cleary who was embroiled in a spat with Anonymous over their “leadership”structure and operations against Sony. It was thought Cleary had created a splinter group from Anonymous but whether or not that group is Lulzsec isn’t known.

Update: Metropolitan Police have now confirmed that the arrest was in connection with the attack on the SOCA website, according to Develop. But they also said, “we will examine the individual for any Sony data” confirming that the suspect is also being investigated for the Playstation Network hack.

LulzSec are, you’ll no doubt have noticed, the hacker collective who have spent several weeks making life difficult for a number of firms across the globe – including many gaming companies. The likes of Eve Online, Minecraft and League of Legends found themselves temporarily offline following DDoS attacks which LulzSec claimed responsibility for. Lately, they targeted government organisations such as the FBI, CIA and the UK government website for SOCA and seemed to think they remained one step of head of whatever law enforcement might or might not be pursuing them.

Well, moments ago a 19-year-old man from Essex, UK was arrested by Britain’s Police Central e-Crime Unit, allegedly in connection with Lulzsec.

Scotland Yard have confirmed an arrest “on suspicion of Computer Misuse Act, and Fraud Act offences” following “an investigation into network intrusions and Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks against a number of international business and intelligence agencies by what is believed to be the same hacking group.”

The FBI apparently assisted in the arrest. The man has a home in Wickford, Essex, which has been searched and computer equipment confiscated.

There is no official statement that this is indeed related to Lulzsec’s escalating security incursions, but the description of the suspected actions certainly sounds familiar. Security firm Sophos have also cited speculation that the man is connected to Lulzsec investigations – but again, nothing is confirmed at present.

__________________

« | »

1. Nathan says:

The MET report says he was arrested last night, which possibly goes a little way to debunk the Census data claim that’s been flying around.

• MiniMatt says:

Yeah – the line “Lulzsec had also claimed via Twitter that they have successfully accessed UK Census data” – I must be missing something (not the first time) – as all I’ve seen on that is a specific denial on twitter – not that they’re trustworthy individuals to be taken at their word of course, but the only “Lulzsec hacked census” stuff I can see out there is an anonymous (small “a”) pastebin ascii.

Which would mean that all our census data is nice and safe with a foreign arms manufacturer :o) I feel safer already :o)

• ukpanik says:

“all our census data is nice and safe with a foreign arms manufacturer”

They are going to shoot our personal data with their foreign guns!

• MCM says:

Whether or not you believe @LulzSec’s denial is irrelevant: the fact is they have not claimed or confirmed that they hacked the census. They have only denied it. Alec is opening himself and RPS up to a sweet libel claim.

• MiniMatt says:

@MCM – though I suppose to action said libel claim they’d need to turn up to a court, give their full name and address etc.
      @ukpanic – I did sound a bit Daily Mail there didn’t I :o) Bloody foreigners eh?

• Pheasant Plucker says:

If ‘Lulzsec’ have obtained current census data and then release it down to individual level then people will die.

Consider:
      Islamic extremists googling ‘soldiers’ in their area
      Irish Republican extremists googling ‘police’ in their area
      Animal Rights extremists googling ‘scientists’
      Any wacko googling MPs or celebrities names

Gods, there are probably more that I can’t think of. Then consider the letter bombs, petrol bombs, pipe bombs, or (if we’re lucky) just threats and intimidation that could follow at those addresses.

Hopefully it’s just a rumour. If it isn’t then I hope that if they have any kind of conscience at all then they wouldn’t release.

• Wisq says:

Personally, I wouldnt be too worried about libelling a hacker group that survives entirely based on their anonymity. At least, not worried about being sued.

2. Icarus says:

Apparently LulzSec also hit SOCA.

You know. The Serious Organised Crime Agency. The people who… yeah.

*slow clap*

3. The Hammer says:

The BBC News website has put this on the Breaking News ticker. No link to follow yet, though.

Interesting.

4. Sheng-ji says:

Good! But lets not get carried away, to be under arrest is fairly meaningless. If he is guilty, lets wait for the prosecution.

• Baboonanza says:

Aw, but that takes such a long time. Can’t we just burn him now?

• Bilbo says:

“To be under arrest is fairly meaningless”

I know several in the law enforcement profession that would probably dispute that idea, man.

• Sheng-ji says:

It really is fairly meaningless – legally speaking, he is innocent and unless they have some pretty strong evidence they won’t be allowed to hold him for long. It is a means to an end, they have arrested him because they have good grounds to suspect him, they are now going to be trawling his computers for evidence to get together a strong case. Then they can present this to the judge and get a court date for a preliminary hearing, allowing him to be jailed. At that point, it is important to note he is still in the eyes of the law innocent. Every man, woman or child in jail is, legally speaking innocent as they have not yet been convicted. (Prison is where you go when you have been convicted, jail is where you are held before)

The police however neither make the law or decide on his innocence or guilty status, him being under arrest, admittedly is a huge life experience for people, but unless he is convicted, he won’t have to declare it on job applications, he won’t be blocked form America and all records of the arrest and any jail time served will be sealed for thirty years then destroyed.

It’s the conviction that is all important, so if he is one of those little tards, lets cross our fingers and pray for justice.

• Bilbo says:

My point is law enforcement don’t go around arresting people unless they’ve got compelling reason to do so – you get the evidence first and then make the arrest, not the other way around. So being arrested on suspicion of organised computer crime is a pretty big deal.

• CMaster says:

Well, they could argue he is a terrorist and keep him for up to 28 days without informing his family potentially. but yes.

• Archonsod says:

“he is innocent and unless they have some pretty strong evidence they won’t be allowed to hold him for long.”

As long as they have a reasonable belief such evidence will be forthcoming they can apply to the courts for permission to detain him for up to a week.
      That’s assuming of course they don’t decide involvement in a protracted campaign of this type which targeted at least one law enforcement agency constitutes an act of terrorism.

• Bilbo says:

And while I’m not a fan of the government using terrorism as an excuse to bugger up everyone’s freedom… attacking international institutions does pretty much fit the bill, unfortunately

• FKD says:

Just a tiny nitpick (though this could be country specific as you will soon see) but a jail is a city/county level institution and prison would be state/federal. In addition to that jail is generally where you are held for a misdemeanor, 1 year or less and prison would be for felonies, 1 year or more. But it is also like you said, a holding place before transfering to a prison. :D

(Note: Not trying to be a jerk or anything, just pointing that out for those who are not aware..)

• Sheng-ji says:

Bilbo, I do agree with you, but if you commit a crime and the worst that happens is you get arrested, held for a day or two then released, you have essentially got away with it scot free. We need a conviction before we herald the system working and get the champagne out.
      And they have stated that this was an intelligence led arrest, not an evidence based one, means that they probably have little to no evidence. Now if this intelligence is say an undercover police officer, great! (So long as he acted legally and appropriately) However if someone anonymously contacted them and gave some convincing speech, not so good. The police will arrest purely on the word of one over another if the crime is serious enough.

FDK, yes you are corrdect, even in this country, Jail can be used as a holding facility for convicted criminals, but they are still legally termed imprisoned, not gaoled, and it’s your legal status not the building you are in thats important. In this country nearly every jail is within a police station so you are likely to reside there for no longer than an hour or two, I believe to keep a prisoner in jail for longer than a day, two judges who did not convict you need to agree that you need to be kept under lock and key, otherwise you will be released until a prison cell is made available for you

• Burlypenguin says:

Man I wished I lived in your world. Lulzsec pissed off some really important and more importantly, well connected people. They will have their ounce of flesh regardless of evidence. The whole notion of innocent until proven guilty is long gone. This I know for the US (which was a victim), they will press the UK for a conviction.

• arienette says:

@FKD

This was a UK arrest, the whole state/federal stuff doesn’t apply.

• FKD says:

@Arienette: I know. Just pointing out that the purposes of jail/prison is not just that one holds you before you go to the other. :D

@Shen-ji: I take it you are current/former LEO?

• CMaster says:

@FKD
      But most of what you are saying doesn’t fit.
      Jail = County and Prison = State doesn’t have any meaning as we don’t have that distinction.
      Just like we don’t have a misdemeanour/felony distinction. Jail and prison are synonymous in British English.

Although likelihood is that he is currently being held in a police cell and neither of the above.

• Sheng-ji says:

Not working in enforcement, I do work in criminal prosecutions though, and, burlypenguin, proudly so as I see it work every day.

• FKD says:

@CMaster: Yes, as I already said I understand this was not a US arrest and that you do not have state/federal distinctions. I also understand this is primarily a UK site and that the vast majority of commenters would be from there. Extrapolating what I said, whether it applies to you or not, I was simply pointing out for anyone who cared, was that there can be a difference between jail/prison as it is often confused as being one and the same. :D

• Burlypenguin says:

I tried posting a link but it is not taking. I am curious, would you be will to share what type of law you work in Sheng-ji? (Sorry misread your post)

• Sheng-ji says:

I work for the Crown Prosecution Service, I don’t work in enforcement. I don’t want to be too specific as to my individual role within the CPS as there is only one job with my jobs description and it would not be too hard to discover who I really am! Suffice to say I work with one eye on the CPS’s core beliefs – those who commit crimes need to be held accountable, those who are wrongly accused should be treated fairly and with dignity and be given the opportunity to demonstrate their innocence.

• FKD says:

Sounds like they have the right kind of person for the job, keep up the good work! :D

• CMaster says:

@FKD
      My point is that in the UK they are the same thing, although I realise that this isn’t the case in the US.

• Sheng-ji says:

Well, I’m on maternity leave at the minute, so the only good work I’m doing right now is putting my feet up and caring for my little boy!

• FKD says:

@CMaster: Then it looks like we took the long way around to find that we are on the same page! lol :D

@Sheng-ji: Oh! Well congratulations then! :D (And random, always nice to find I am not the only girl on here, sometimes I feel outnumbered.. >.>)

• Burlypenguin says:

Sheng-ji, I could not agree more. However, my personal experience with the law felt anything but. Personal experience aside, as a hobby I follow the economy and finance and the things that happen there are a complete breakdown of law. Lets give the link thing another try. This one is about Loyds of London. I would be interested to have someone refute the article or justify its lawfulness.
      zerohedge.com/article/update-lloyds-london-too-big-sue-plus-lloyds-litigation-timeline
      add a www
      Still not working I suspect PEBKAC

• Sheng-ji says:

Ahhh!!! There you’re looking at civil law. Civil law is when one entity has a dispute with another (Person or company) and is a very different animal to criminal law. Criminal law is when the laws of the land have been breached.
      For simplicity sake, lets have a look at a fictitious country Rockpapershotgunlandia. They have one and only one law “Thou Shalt not steal”. Now this mighty behemoth of a country has five citizens whom we are going to concentrate on today, three of them work for the company “Sitting On Our Ass Insurance” and the forth person employs them to protect his house.
      One day, the fifth person breaks into the forth persons house and steals his prized typewriter. The fifth person has broken criminal law, he is, by Rockpapershotgunlandia standards, a criminal. He would be prosecuted by criminal law, tried by a panel of his peers (a jury) and hopefully sent to prison.
      The opposing side in his case, the people who have accused him of theft is the state, a whole group of people who work for Rockpapershotgunlandia whose job it is to make sure those who break the law get the punishment the state has decided is appropriate.
      Unfortunately, in the police chase, the fifth person threw the typewriter out of his cars window and it was destroyed, so it can’t be returned to person four. With a heavy heart, person four contacts Sitting on our ass insurance and speaks to person three. Person three informs person four that she is not covered by insurance because she wasn’t at home when the burglary took place. Person four takes Sitting on our ass Insurance to court, claiming that some examples of possible claims are “That terms not actually in my contract” “That term is in my contract and I did sign it but I think it’s unfair” “You didn’t make it clear enough that term was in my contract” Whatever, you get the picture, she can claim for whatever she wants really. This is a civil case. It will be heard by a judge, but neither person 3 nor person 1 (the owner of the insurance company) will be criminals if they lose their case. The judge can award person four money as compensation, throw the case out of court, make the company buy person four a new typewriter, or any shade of grey – repair her typewriter as best you can, give her part of the money it was worth.

Now lets imagine the courts decide that the legal challenge stands and awards person four £10 which they should have paid her for her typewriter, £5000 for her legal fees and £2000 additional compensation, for her time, inconvenience etc. If Sitting on our ass Insurance don’t pay, they still are not criminals, even though they have now arguably broken the law! This is because the ruling was made by a civil court, so person four would have to apply to the courts again to have an asset seize order made up so she could remove and sell the companies assets until she has received her full compensation. And to recoup her costs for that second court case, she would have to sue them again. You can see how quickly this gets very complicated even in this simple example!
      I hope this silly example shows you just how different a beast civil law is from criminal law!

• Burlypenguin says:

I suspect that we may have different definitions on justice. Forgive me if I assume your view incorrectly but the following of rules dictated by the State and Law is insufficient for justice in my view. The problem I see is that the rules are applied and pursued differently depending on the individual at fault. Also those rules are unduly influenced by moneyed individuals. Case in point, the difference in what happens when a celebrity is caught in possession of drugs and if a low income earner is caught. One is reluctantly pursued and receives a slap on the wrist and other gets the book thrown at them and goes directly to prison. For a less well known but better example look and how the CFTC is enforcing the rules on short positions in the commodities markets. The enforcement dates are pushed in perpetuity.
      As for the second point, lets pick on BP. The fact that there is a liability cap on how much they can fined for an oil spill is a travesty of justice. I find it difficult to explain how that decision was not influenced by money. Probably not a direct bribe rather a deal along the lines of if you pass this bill we will employ X individuals.

• Burlypenguin says:

Sorry. I just realized that I messed up the Civil and Criminal bit again.

Haha, yes you did!

But with the celebs and rich people getting unfair treatment, that’s just not true, not in this country! I will happily swear to that on everything I hold dear, in fact celebs tend to get hit harder as judges like to make examples, however, should someone offer to get the best help money can buy at their own expense, the judge can be more lenient and suspend their sentence or an element of their sentence as long as they go through with it.

Also lets not forget that a simple fact of life is that many of these people with no money are repeat offenders, well known to the police for a myriad of crimes. Now I am generalizing, but it is a valid generalization. Whether the drugs cause the poverty or the poverty encourages the drugs is a different argument.

5. Henke says:

THE SYSTEM WORKS!

Always wanted to say that. Hopefully this guy actually is from Lulzsec, and gets put away for a very long time.

• Lukasz says:

a) we don’t know whether he actually did anything and if he did we don’t know how much he was actually involved with anything.
      b) long time? really? for being a massive jerk? they didn’t really do anything did they?

If he is guilty then i presume the system will try to make an example of him.

• Teddy Leach says:

“Didn’t really do anything”.

Yes, only minor things like releasing 62,000 email addresses and corresponding passwords, hacking various websites and DDOS’ing government sites. Nope, nothing at all.

• Lukasz says:

it is nothing. not literally of course but nothing to deserve a long prison time.

a year maybe? a big fine + community service. not a very long prison time for something so petty as email addresses.
      or did they steal credit numbers too? that is a big deal. ddos attacks, passes to forums and email addresses are not something which deserves a long prison time.

they are massive jerks and no different than a guy who throws a rock at your car when drunk.

• skinlo says:

Well thats a matter for the courts to decide. However, it is certainly more than nothing. I’d personally put him away from 5 years probably, plus a fine £100000 upwards.

• Lukasz says:

what real damage did he do? and he was only one person remember that.

• Zelius says:

Maybe not “real” damage, but certainly economical damage. I’m fairly certain these attacks cost some companies a lot of money.

• Apple01 says:

Lukazs are you fucking stupid? Releasing those emails costed people HUNDREDS of dollars, ruined relationships. People got access to Paypal accounts from those. They stole tons of sensitive information from PSN ( also creditcard numbers were stolen ). They DDoS’d several websites costing them money (more like, DDoS’d a TON of websites) – took down government sites.

This is CYBER-TERRORISM. They deserve at LEAST 10 years in prison. You are a fucking moron if you think otherwise

• nimnio says:

Ah, finally; a voice of reason.

• heretic says:

@Apple01 you are the only moron here.

._.

I agree with Lukasz, knowing how ineffective law enforcement is at catching “cyber” criminals I wouldn’t be surprised if this guy did almost nothing and was just mouthing off.

If he is found guilty of computer misuse then I imagine there are appropriate punishments. I don’t think jail time should be one of them.

Hours of community service would do much better – no prison cost to the tax payer (i.e. you and me) and he does something for the community.

I personally don’t think you should put some jerk who performed DDOS attacks jail time, it’s well known that in this country jail time = more likely to re-offend at a later date. This isn’t Finland or whichever country where there is TRUE rehabilitation into society after jail.

• ResonanceCascade says:

IF Web Ninjas are to be believed (and who fucking knows at this point) then this guy probably isn’t in Lulzsec — or at least isn’t a core member.

Unless I’m remembering the alleged geographic locations of the team incorrectly. Anyway, glad to see one bite the dust. More to come, I’m sure.

• Henke says:

“it is nothing.”

Lukasz, I think you’ve forgotten what it felt like when the reports of hacked sites started flooding in. Realizing that a few people could fuck things up for a lot of people very easily, and for no other reason than because they thought it was funny. Oh sure, personally I didn’t loose any sleep over it but it did piss me off. Some companies did end up loosing money no doubt but this was never about the money. It was an act of terrorism. Very effectively a handfull of douchebags managed to make us all feel a bit less safe whenever we sign up for something on the net.

So yeah, I hope they lock these guys up for a very long time. Not just because they deserve it, but also because it’ll send a message.

• Lukasz says:

@Henke
      “Very effectively a handfull of douchebags managed to make us all feel a bit less safe whenever we sign up for something on the net.”

I like how you worded that. It is not a crime. nor something wrong to do. The method they used is wrong of course and for that they should be punished.
      You were never safe and they are not to be blamed for that. They are kids. now imagine what people with actual money and power behind them can do. You are angry that a fake shell of security was cracked. I think that is a good thing. People might (i am very optimistic here) actually learn not to reuse same password on their paypal account and their account with for example rps.

Those attacks happened before you know. they are not the first nor the last. emails passwords cc numbers had been stole before. This time they are a bit more vocal about it tough.

They should be punished. How exactly I don’t really know as we don’t actually know who did what.
      Also did they actually steal cc numbers? I cannot find any connection to the psn outage. they did attack sony but after the theft i believe.

@apple if you cannot argue like a civil person then you should not really speak at all.

• Rii says:

@Henke

It sounds like you should be thanking Lulzsec for opening your eyes.

As for putting people away to serve as a warning for others, well, it’s nice to know that we’ve still no shortage of folks ready to lick the boot of the state even as it descends upon the necks of its citizens.

• FataMorganaPseudonym says:

It’s one thing to say that they deserve to be locked away forever or else should just bypass this life altogether and go straight to the burning in hell or whatever. That’s an extreme reaction, sure. But to say that they don’t even deserve any prison-time whatsoever for this and should just get off relatively scot free with only a little bit of community service or whatever? That’s an extreme reaction as well, but on the opposite end of the spectrum. Why are you so adamant that these clowns only get the slightest slap on the wrist for this stuff?

• ResonanceCascade says:

I don’t get it either. “Do whatever you want and face few consequences,” is not the message these people need right now. I think 6 months for the kiddies and a couple years for the really bad offenders sounds reasonable. With the usual stipulation that they can’t use a computer for X amount of years after their release.

That said, I suspect the criminal charges are going to be small potatoes compared to the civil suits that are on the way. You’re going to see companies suing for hundreds of millions of dollars and being “awarded” tens of millions. Not that any of these kids will ever be able to pay for the court fees, let alone the settlements.

• Henke says:

“The fault lies on side of corporations. they should keep their databases better secured, they should NOT keep our credit card numbers after the purchase is finalized. banks already do that. no reason for some company like sony to do that too.”

I admit I don’t know the science behind this stuff, but is there any defence against DDOS attacks? These guys took down CIA for Christ’ sake! If the CIA isn’t safe then who is? As for storing credit card numbers, doesn’t pretty much every online shopping-place do this? I mean it’s kind of a pain in the ass to have to retype your number every time you wanna buy something(especially using a console-gamepad) so I’m pretty sure those systems are in place for the customer’s convenience, rather than any sinister plot on Sony’s part.

I can tell we’re not gonna see eye to eye on this. I don’t want any more intricate security systems and regulations. I don’t wanna have a different password for every place I shop at. I like that we live in a civilized society, and if we wanna keep on doing so we’re gonna have to BEHAVE civilized and punish those who do not.

• Lukasz says:

They took down simply a main webpage of CIA. Nothing important nor anything more protected than a standard high-traffic webpage.
      And no. I don’t believe you can protect yourself from ddos besides just buying more bandwidth.

I was referring to databases theft. Against that you can. No security is perfect of course but you can make it darn difficult.

You really are suggesting for them to be sent for years to prison where murderers, rapists reside just because you don’t want to take security into your own hands by having different passes? heck. you just need only 3 to feel mostly secure.

punishment should be appropriate to the damage done i believe especially it seems they are not the group who stole any cc numbers

• FunkyBadger3 says:

Lukasz: I hope you’re not a defence lawyer, throwing a rock at a car could cause multiple deaths. Umm, if it was moving that is. THat was what you meant, wasn’t it?

• rayne117 says:

@Teddy Leach

Because one guy did all of that amirite?

• Sheng-ji says:

@Rii – the boot is descending on the neck of CRIMINALS, people who BREAK THE LAW…. just as it should really!

@ Lukasz – they should be punished based on the crime they have committed, not the damage they did, if you break into a house, but didn’t steal anything because the valuables were in a safe, you should still be sentenced appropriately for breaking and entering

• Henke says:

@ Lukasz – I have 3 passwords, and it feels like 2 too many (ideally we wouldn’t need any at all). I know we won’t be able to wipe out online crime completely but if these Lulzsec guys are caught, and made an example of in a high-profile trial it might at least deteer the kids who just wanna fuck people over for a laugh. It would be a step in the right direction.

• Milky1985 says:

I was kinda hoping people on here would be a bit more sensible than the people on Euro”Daily Mail”Gamer (who are basically calling for him to be excuted at the moment) and actually wait for evidence to be shown that he did hacking before calling for punishment.

But it seems that people who call guilty before waitnig for evidence are everywhere!

At the moment it looksl ike all the guy was guilty of is running a IRC server, so you could say its aiding them (but if your going to say that running publically accessible services is aiding them then gogo arrest the head of BT, they run the network here in the UK and carried the packets that aided them) but thats all you can say based on the evidence we have.

Please don’t let this degrade to eurogamer levels, I left that place to avoid that! (and the SDF (sony defence force) which definatily does not exist and you get bashed for saying it does exist, but don’t say anythign bad about sony or nice about nintendo or they send round the man with a baseball bat)

• lurkalisk says:

@Apple01
      I don’t believe anything you just said is supported by any kind of evidence.

When the average maximum sentence for manslaughter is 15 years (in the US, sorry can’t find UK info on the matter), you must ask yourself, do mere hackers deserve similar?

• Lukasz says:

@sheng
      you are the expert not me. so question: if i break and enter but do nothing else… do i get the same punishment as if i broke and stole some paintings. cause to me that’s one crime in first scenario and two crimes in second one.

@Henke
      you are being unrealistic. i want also no passwords and no need for security but that is not how world works and unless we get nerve stamping like in Alpha Centauri it will never work in a way where you will be safe.
      You want an example made out of them? why not make an example out of every crime? Drink driving is major problem. So few public execution by having drunk driver slowly lowered into molten iron would really do encourage responsible driving. that’s a silly extreme but that’s a reality of making an example of a criminal.
      The punishment must fit the crime. they committed the crime therefore they should be punished. I do not want their lives to be ruined by spending years in prison with murderers, rapists and mobsters. Just because they created massive annoyance to tens of thousands of users. and companies who lost monies because of the hack. well they supposed to spend that money before on establishing proper security for their databases.

• Wulf says:

@lurkalisk

Fun scenario.

Someone who’s on a very low income requires what little money they do have for meds to survive. Someone finds their way into that person’s bank account via a LulzSec release and sucks them dry. That person then becomes ill because they can’t raise the funds they’d need quickly enough to keep their meds stocked. As a result, that person becomes seriously ill or dies.

The responsibility must then lie with LulzSec. If LulzSec was responsible for acquiring and then sharing the data that lead to this event, then this classifies as manslaughter. If anyone dies from this then it stops being a laughing mater. What people seem to be too stupid to realise is that someone might.

And there’s a difference between stealing information and making it completely public so that it’s fair game for any jerk to put to use. This scenario is worryingly likely and that’s what bothers me. If they’d kept this to themselves then I could’ve thought of it as an annoyance and shook my head with a sigh, but it’s gone from being an annoyance to a deplorable act that might cost people anything from their quality of life to their life period.

And don’t try to claim that my scenario is unlikely, because an ill person who’s living on meds might use gaming as a form of entertainment to keep themselves sane. And all it takes is some 16 year old kid with their details to wipe their account dry, all thanks to LulzSec.

LulzSec really changed the game the moment they started publishing data.

The sad part is is that I really doubt they realise what they might end up being responsible for.

(And yes, I’m still mad at them for making people equate the word hacker with LulzSec. See: Alec’s article. :|)

6. kataras says:

Essex boys!

7. zipdrive says:

I hope this leads to catching more of them.

By the way, I’m very curious and somewhat dismayed, by the proclamation of cooperation between Anonymous and Lulzsec.

• Apple01 says:

• hungrytales says:

Apple01: don’t you take it a bit too far?

• Grape Flavor says:

“I hope they take this kid and beat his face in until they tell them who else is doing it.”
      lol, I’m picturing MI6 going all Jack Bauer on some poor little nerd:

*PUNCH*
      TELL US ABOUT THE MAN WITH THE MOUSTACHE!
      *crying* i.. i.. don’t know anything!
      *PUNCH*
      TELL US WHO THE MAN WITH THE MONOCLE IS! TELL US YOU LITTLE WANKER!
      *spits out teeth* i dont know I swear!
      TELL US OR WE’LL BREAK ALL THE FINGERS NEEDED TO PLAY WORLD OF WARCRAFT! AND WE KNOW WHICH ONES THEY ARE!
      Noooooooooooo!

8. Jockie says:

The FBI apparently assisted? Oh dear, they’ll probably want to extradite him and put him in a cell forever then strip him naked like Bradley Manning.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Isn’t the world we live in a fucking lovely one?

• Unaco says:

As long as they’re just doing it for the Lulz, what is so wrong with that?

• Sheng-ji says:

Unaco, apart from having an awesome username (something I’ve been meaning to tell you since I first came to RPS) but you have given me the best laugh of the day so far!

• Sleepymatt says:

Unaco definitely wins the internets today :P

• 4026 says:

“…like Bradley Manning”

Or (rather more) like Gary McKinnon

• Groove says:

Unaco, King of the internet for the day.

• heretic says:

I thought I read something like that during the McKinnon case.

• Wulf says:

Well, another day, another reason to tell Unaco that he’s particularly brilliant. Unaco, stop that.

Really though, he’s right, and I like his comment because it’s both funny and hopefully it’ll make some people think. Doing something ‘for the lulz’ absolutely does not and never will make the action ethical. I am absolutely sick and tired of people who ‘do things for the lulz,’ things which are inherently unethical and designed to make people suffer, and then hide behind that.

“We ruined someone’s life? It was only for the lulz!”
      “We forced someone to commit suicide? It was only for the lulz!”
      “We leaked the data of millions of people? It was only for the lulz!”
      “We ruined the public opinion of an entire group of people? It was only for the lulz.”

Bastards.

Really, I just want to punch them in the face for convincing people that ‘Hacker’ == ‘LulzSec.’ Something that they’re doing a bloody good job of.

• Unaco says:

No Heretic… The extradition treaty/treaties between the US and the UK allows for either country to ask for the extradition of a suspect from one country to the other. The difference is, when the US asks the UK for someone they say “Yes Sir, certainly Sir, would you like the convict gift wrapped Sir? Don’t worry, we’ll cover the shipping fees. Will there be anything else Sir? One or two of our airbases perhaps?”. And when the UK asks the US for someone, they laugh. Seriously. Really… they laugh. Big, heart belly laughs.

• Archonsod says:

“Am I correct in saying that the USA can ask for the UK to extradite people but the UK cannot ask the USA for the same thing?”

Nah. The UK can request extradition from the US, but must demonstrate reasonable evidence before the US court to do so. Mr Blair signed away the need for the US to prove a reasonable suspicion prior to extradition from the UK, although naturally you can still appeal against the extradition.

9. gohemis says:

I hope the cops marched into his house saying “lulz lulz lulz lulz”

• Hoaxfish says:

Cavity searching for the lulz

• Tei says:

Most police is smart. Can tell the difference a rapist from a dude that is good with computers. He will probably be asked for a good site to download movies more than once. He will probably get a different experience from what normal criminals get. But you can’t say that about the people that will share jailtime with him.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

@ Gohe,

That got a mental image, and a lol, thank you sir!

10. FakeAssName says:

dumb fucks, one and all.

the main reason governments don’t get more involved in arresting people for the shit they do on the web is because it’s too much effort vs the scale of the action, however when you make the scale of the act worth the effort …. $10 says this is the one guy from lulzSec who isn’t from east Africa / Russia and the rest of them wont ever be touched.

11. Hoaxfish says:

the UK’s census

Er… how are they involved? Just telling the other guys what his home address is or something?

• Nathan says:

There’s been an unconfirmed report doing the rounds this morning that Lulzsec have acquired and will be imminently releasing the full 2011 UK Census.

• Rossi says:

Release the UK Census info? It’s public information anyway!

• LionsPhil says:

Presumably they (claim to) have the uncollated version.

• Gepetto says:

Not for 100 years, though.

• Tei says:

The UK census is public information in a searchable way? so where I can download a list of the address of people with the “Jedi” religion, and send then customized ads?

• CMaster says:

Yeah, the Census statistics are public (although even those are tweaked and doctored to make sure you can’t individually isolate an individual e.g. say there was one Black, 50 year old Male in a parish of Cambridgeshire – you could in theory cross-ref that to find everything else about him. So they add “noise” to that sort of data).
      The actual specific individual answers however are kept secure for 100 years.

12. sonofsanta says:

Who’d have thunk it, real-world consequences for your rampage of twattish actions! Well I never.

13. LionsPhil says:

I’d be more willing to celebrate if I had any reasonable confidence that they actually got the right guy.

In before it turns out he’s just a clueless bittorrenter who got his machine rooted and used as a layer of indirection for the hack or something.

• Sheng-ji says:

They have stated it was intelligence lead, rather than evidence led, which means that their information hasn’t come from trying to back trace an electronic trail, but from the other direction if you like, though with our police, god only knows what that involves.

The drawback with intelligence led investigations is that any intelligent person can quite easily frame an innocent, convincingly enough to cause this action. If they find any proper evidence on his computers then it’s on!

• Davane says:

In other words, someone shafted him big time by putting a doodle of some dude in a top hat on his desktop…

14. Corrupt_Tiki says:

I read they apparently took down the CIA public website, so, y’know, probably lucky they didn’t join the dissapeared peoples club.

15. DeathHamsterDude says:

Yes! I thought that they might get away with it, but when they hacked the CIA etc. I had a feeling they’d be on borrowed time. Let’s hope this teaches those blackhats and greyhats they can’t target whomever they so want with impunity.

16. Metonymy says:

Please. This is just one guy, and if he were anyone important, he’d have the means to cover his tracks quite a bit better than that. Even if caught, there certainly wouldn’t be any computer left to investigate.

It’s adorable how polarized people get on issues like this, it’s like they’re yearning for something to feel strongly about, and never have any intention of looking at things objectively. Even if these hackers are nothing but vicious criminals trying to sell data for money, they are still doing more for your own personal online security than everything you’ve contributed to the human race, over the course of your entire life.

These weaknesses will have to be fixed, or they will be hit again, probably by real criminals next time.

• Rossi says:

What a load of bollocks.

Exposing bad security is one thing, but then taking the data and black mailing people with it is entirely different. If their aim was truely in the public interest, why not just send the companies an email explaining what they had done? But no.

They are just a collective bunch of hooting dickholes.

• Metonymy says:

Because then, nothing would change, because that would require time and money invested?

Ask a hard one.

• DeathHamsterDude says:

How does that make sense?

• Pete says:

“We have to violate your security to improve your security” didn’t make sense in Vietnam, nor in Afghanistan, so I don’t see why it makes sense with computers.

• Iain_1986 says:

Complaining that its the owners of the sites own fault for not having enough security is like saying its a banks own fault if it gets robbed because they didn’t have gun turrets and armed guards on stand by.

Its attitudes like that that lead to the likes of the TSA in American airports for “security”

Like Rossi said, if they had good intentions they’d inform the sites of the security leak, and YES the sites would update to avoid future attacks and the bad PR. If they had good intentions too they wouldn’t release some of the usernames and passwords they found publicly…

• Bilbo says:

“It’s adorable how polarized people get about things like this”

*Makes it clear you’ve made your mind up too*

If you’re going to launch off a load of patronising crap, might want to at least avoid the splashback

• DeathHamsterDude says:

Well, it would make sense if they didn’t publicise it. Quite a few hackers get hired by these big corporations to become resident whitehats and hack into the corporations’ websites/servers etc. so it would make sense if they were trying to look for a job from Bethesda/Sony/Mojang etc. but no, they were just doing it for the ‘lulz’.

• Sheng-ji says:

The important people are only important because their scriptkiddie minions do their bidding. No matter how well you cover an electronic trail, I’m yet to meet a hacker with the social skills to convince one of his pals not to point the finger at him in court to avoid prison. Policing does not work like in CSI, it works by forming relationships with people, letting them do the right thing, breaking the criminal networks and turning them against each other.

LULZsec are not doing the world a favor, they are vandals, destructive little sociopaths who need to be separated from decent society.

The real criminals, should they attempt to commit this type of cyber crime, will also get caught. In the same way. With police intelligence.

• foobarfoo says:

If LulzSec didn’t expose all this information, and all of this didn’t make it to the various news sites, the company I work for wouln’t suddenly start focussing on security.

So, yes, this stuff does cause improvements in data security. Perhaps far more than a pure white-hat approach would, sadly.

And you know what? I’m glad it does. I’ve been slightly annoyed at this “GIVE US YOUR INFORMATION” attitude that’s been going on in the internets lately.

• Sheng-ji says:

foobarfoo, while I agree that getting people to tighten their security is a good thing, their actions are still not appropriate in a civilized society. Your argument doesn’t scale to any other area of criminal law – do we appreciate the hard work done by people who smash up shop windows on their way home from the pub because now all the shops use toughened glass? Are we glad that people get mugged on their way home from work as it helps proliferate personal panic alarms?

• TillEulenspiegel says:

I don’t really understand why OpenID hasn’t caught on. I’m about 100x more likely to sign up for your website if I can just click a button to log in with my Google account. They instantly get my confirmed email address and nothing else. See Springpad for an example of how to do this right.

There’s nothing wrong with outsourcing your password storage! I trust Google’s security practices more than, well, just about anyone.

• foobarfoo says:

Sheng-ji: you make an excellent point, but your analogy is kind of misleading. Your analogy seems to say that improving security is the end goal, but it’s not: it’s making sure that people’s credentials don’t get stolen and used for nefarious intent.

Here’s a different analogy:

Pete rents an apartment in an apartment complex owned by John. Pete thinks he’s mostly secure (John takes care of that, after all!) and that no-one will enter his apartment without him knowing. Pete does not know that in his neighborhood, people enter apartments all the time, because apartment complex owners don’t really secure things at all. The burglars who usually enter these apartments search for information like credit card information which they use to buy illegal goods and then resell them. One day, a group of crazy people enter all apartments in John’s apartment complex, take photos of everything they see (including some really personal, indentifyable information.. perhaps even some stuff that could lead people into stealing credit card information) and dump it on the streets for everybody to look at. Newspapers and websites all report on the recent happenings, and apartment complex owners start looking into securing their apartment complexes properly.

Now, you might ask two questions: is it legal what the crazy people did? is it ethical what the crazy people did?
      I can answer the first question: no, it’s not legal. The second question is *very* subjective.

17. Rinox says:

It’s one thing to mess with Minecraft, EVE online or even Sega, and another to step on the toes of the CIA and FBI. Not a smart move.

18. magnus says:

I bet the little shit’s putting a brave face on now, but just wait ’til he drops the soap!

19. Chayat says:

As entertaining as Lulzsec are. they hit minecraft and that’s just not cool.

20. noclip says:

“Some men just want to watch the world burn.”

21. SuperNashwanPower says:

If they cant prosecute him, the BBC may just say they found lewd material relating to farm animals on his hard drive, headed up with a picture of him in pants. Maybe with a photoshopped cucumber stuffed somewhere

22. Unaco says:

Prison sex… for the lulz?

23. I LIKE FOOD says:

I hope it´s not LulzSec I like those guys.

LolOLOLOllolOLOL u mad RPS readers hummmm?

U JELLY?

U WANT MY BLOOD? COME GET SOME U..#¤#¤!

24. Dreamhacker says:

I wouldn’t say Lulz is a collective. It’s more of a Ghost in the Shell (Stand Alone Complex season 2, to be precise) kind of thing: widespread memetic idealism without a cause.

• poop says:

nah thats anonymous, sorta, lulzsec is a bunch of 2005 era /b/ bros with amazing sql and ddos powers and a twitter account

• Dreamhacker says:

I don’t think they’re /b/-tards, considering how down they are on /b/ in their tweets and messages. And I don’t think anyone who pulls of this kind of stuff is too organized, it would be safer not to be.

As for Anonymous, it later turned out they we’re in reality very much a hierarchical, if loosely affiliated, group run by several megalomanical irc-personalities.

• poop says:

yeah they are 4channers from a few years ago, they hate it now

• poop says:

you can tell they are from 4chan because they spew constant memes from every orifice and circlejerk like fucking crazy about things that aren’t very funny or interested to people who aren’t in on the group

oh and if you are in the group teh joke is always “i get this as i am in the group and recognise the thing being referenced”.

25. Nimic says:

Who’s lulzing now?

26. jimbonbon says:

As in the same Ryan Cleary who recently turned on Anonymous? Seems unlikely…

27. Rossi says:

LulzSec might of had good intentions at the start, but they lost all credibility when they told Bethesda to (I paraphrase) ‘add a top hat to the game or we release this info’. That IS taking the piss.

Also, hitting games like Mincraft and denying people the ability to play a game they paid for is just not cool. What Notch etc done to deserve that?

Then heading off to piss around with organisations like the FBI and SOCA, what do they expect to happen?

Who ever this guy is, he obviously knows somerthing about computer security. Does he realise how much money there is to be made in that sector of IT? Get a job!!!

28. Stormbane says:

Break his legs with a hammer first. Questions later.

29. Freud says:

He who lulz last, lulz best.

30. RakeShark says:

I see LulzSec more as natural necessity than any noble creature. Like the woodpecker, beaver, rabbit, or raccoon. Sure the fauna biologist will tell us they’re an important part of the ecosystem, each doing their part to preserve balance to their natural habitat. However, these are the same goddamned pests that are drilling holes in my ash, felling telephone poles, eating my blueberries and tomatoes, and razing my trashcans at night. The moment they screw with my stuff is the moment they cease to be cuddly cute guardians of the circle of life, and become lead-peppered hamburger chunks at the end of a shotgun’s sights. I don’t like to make it personal, because after all what the hell are these animals going to do if they can’t screw with my house (hint: do it to someone else)? However, just as it’s their natural calling as pests to poke and prod and try to improve/balance the world nibble by nibble, it is my natural calling as a guardian of plastic furniture, plaster walls, and plasma TVs to feel exaggeratedly threatened by these novelty antagonists.

31. Devec says:

He dun goofed, they send the cyber police after him. Consequences are never the same.

32. tawa says:

“Lulz”

Any claims to be doing this to improve our security are fairly laughable. A new focus on data security may happen because of this, but when they’re blackmailing Bethesda to add meme-y crap to their games or DDoSing indie developers servers any claim that this is their intention is undermined. DDoS isn’t a security hole, it’s a bunch of children throwing stones at a building until it collapses, the only solutions are houses with stronger walls so they can take more stones or educating your children to not be giggling vandals.

I also find it somewhat amusing that they seem to have fallen due to DDoS attacks on the FBI, CIA and SOCA. Something they started doing when an annoyed EVE player on Twitter goaded them into attacking ‘real’ targets like the CIA. Apparently annoying a lot of people whose main hobby is a game of social manipulation ultimately backfired…

And these kids didn’t do PSN, whatever their attention starved, rabid dribbling, meme-replacing-thought tweets desperately try to make the public believe.

Again; “lulz”

• Sheng-ji says:

Oh… great post, just perfect!

tawa, if you don’t write for a living you should seriously consider it because you’ve just put into words perfectly what I’ve been trying to say all this time!

33. Tori says:

“Seems the glorious leader of LulzSec got arrested, it’s all over now… wait… we’re all still here! Which poor bastard did they take down?”
    From Lulzsec twitter.

34. Anton says:

Any criminal’s worst enemy is his pride. That is always their downfall.

35. Tei says:

From other website:

“Ryan Cleary was the ircop of encyclopediadramatica.ch lulzsec simply had a channel on there, he is not part of lulzsec,”

36. Bilbo says:

Incidentally, the guy’s been named locally and this facebook page which went up 5 days ago corroborates it

37. Alaric says:

I’m glad to hear the news. Hopefully more of them are caught, tried and sent to prison where their lives and sphincters are ruined.

38. porps says:

wow, Uk police doing something usefull, makes a change.

39. 200proof says:

Yet they still tweet?

• Soon says:

The twitter feed uses American English (and always has, as far as I can tell), so whoever they arrested wasn’t involved with tweets, at least.

40. Teddy Leach says:

I like to think the e-police constantly dress like they’re playing Laserquest.

41. HeavyStorm says:

Lulz is a collective rather than a individual or limited group. So, arresting one fella wouldn’t make much of a difference. Another “cell” might be working on the Census data as the lad was being arrested.

Anyway, I hope he has enough info to help investigations. This guys have gone way beyond jokes and should be considered a menace.

42. Valvarexart says:

I have to say, and I am probably going to be largely unpopular for this; LulzSec are not the incarnate evil we think they are. They are, of course, not a pleasant bunch, but this happens all the time, except the hacker groups that usually come over data like this (if LulzSec can do it, I’m pretty sure that there are quite a few others that have already done it) use it for more nefarious purposes, and keep silent about it. It also seems that LulzSec has changed direction and is now working together with AnonOps for a purpose called #AntiSec, which is kinda like WikiLeaks but much more aggressive and radical. On a side note, LulzSec announced on their twitter that the arrested person is not someone affiliated with them.

43. Grape says:

I have, at the time of writing this, read through every page in the comments-section up to this point, and I feel very, very depressed. I was one of the (apparently numerous) people who recieved an Email from a couple of developers telling me their websites/forums had been hacked and that for all they know, I may or may not have had some or all of my details stolen. Of course I’m glad that some headway might have been made in hopefully somewhat stopping this from going on. A rouge collection of people randomly hacking into big videogame websites and stealing the private information from possibly hundreds or even thousands of unsuspecting people to do with as they desire, for absolutely no apparent reason other than out of boredom, is an incredibly scary one.

That said:

The shear number of people in this comments-section who I imagine are sitting there, behind their monitors, with big, fat grins on their faces while rubbing their hands together with glee, sincerely wishing for all sorts of harm to come to this nineteen year-old kid, (in prison or otherwise.), absolutely sickens and disgusts me. Get the fuck over yourselves. Yes, I’m glad one of them is (apparently) caught. Yes, I’m pissed that my privacy (what little there is on the Internet, anyway), might have been severely compromised by a bunch of 4Chan-nerds possibly having released my account-details into the ether, for all to see. But to sit there, on a forum or comments-thread or whatever, sincerely hoping that his life has been ruined for ever? Not because you want this to stop and these people to be barred from hurting more people, but solely because you enjoy the thought of this kid suffering? Just… Wow. Fuck you. Fuck you with a rake, you genuinely unpleasant, little people.

Urgh. Fuck this. I’m going to bed.

• Binman88 says:

You need to calm down and actually read the comments here. There is no “sheer number” of people wishing eternal misery on this individual. I’m after going through all the comments, and barring a few off-hand remarks from people clearly venting their frustration (mostly in jest) at these fools, with seemingly compulsory prison-rape jokes, no one has said they wanted to see this man’s life ruined. There is an overwhelming majority of comments in favour of lawful justice being served, which isn’t something I disagree with it all. If this man was responsible for causing all kinds of worry and stress (if not monetary loss or worse) to those people who’s information was leaked, then he should absolutely be punished as any scum-bag criminal should.

• Megagun says:

+1.

We don’t even really know what this guy did yet, and we don’t really have much proof yet, either, which makes all this even more embarrassing to read. Innocent until proven guilty, and such.

Even if he IS guilty, what some people write here is far more immoral than what some of these guys of LulzSec did.

• Tetragrammaton says:

What a remarkably self-righteous comment.
      I doubt anyone here actually wants this mans life ruined. They just (quite reasonably) want him to be held accountable for his actions.

Edit: damn geo-ninjed.

• Stellar Duck says:

At the time of writing:

One count of hoping he gets his faced smashed in.
      One count of hoping they break his legs with a hammer.
      Three counts of what appears to be hoping for prison rape.

I might have missed some.

I would call that rather immoral, to be frank. Worse than whatever he is supposed to have done, even forgetting for a moment that he is not convicted of anything yet.

I’m a bit disgusted that some seem to think that being arrested is the same as being guilty. Granted, I don’t live in the UK, but I imagine that the police are as fallible there as here in Denmark. Don’t trust the police one bit, is my rule.

If he turns out to be guilty, then he will get the proper punishment. That is why we have the legal system in the first place. This sort of vindictive mob mentality is twisted.

It may just be because this is the internet, but I really don’t think that kind of behaviour is in order. I’ve been slightly inconvenienced by all this mess that these people have made, but really, it’s not worth putting anyone to prison for years and years.

• Binman88 says:

Well, I don’t think your assumptions about the commenters here are in order. First of all – never mind the fact that these are disposable comments on the internet and probably half hearted and in jest – you listed just 5 comments, and no, I think you’d be hard pressed to find more than that. That’s not a large amount by any stretch of the imagination as the original commenter suggested, considering this article now has over 170 comments. Going back to the content of those “bad” comments – if I had been personally wronged by this individual, I might blurt out something similar in anger, and I wouldn’t take kindly to some randomer on the internet telling me to go easy on the poor little hacker.

As for you being disgusted about people equating an arrest to a conviction, I sincerely doubt anyone here wants an innocent person sent to jail – so would you not rather assume these people are speaking in an “if it’s him” sense, instead of assuming they’re happy to send an innocent man to jail simply because he was arrested? I’m not picking up any vindictive mob vibe here at all. The vast majority of people agree with your prior statement – if he is guilty he should face lawful punishment. It’s a good thing that a lot of people are on the same page about that. Stop blowing things out of proportion and making incorrect assumptions.

One last note – “never trust the police” has got to be the most damaging thing I’ve read in this entire comments thread!

• Tristram Shandy says:

Yeah, how dare you hope someone recieves the punishment he’s prescribed by the laws of his peers for choosing to maliciously attempt to interrupt people’s lives. Anarchy has always tunred out great in the past for everyone int he past, so why don’t we get rid of this archaic “justice” thing and let everyone do what they want, relying on the universal benevolence of human nature.

• MiniTrue says:

tl;dr version:

Fuck tha police
      Comin straight from the underground
      Young nigga got it bad cuz I’m brown
      And not the other color so police think
      They have the authority to kill a minority

Fuck that shit, cuz I ain’t tha one
      For a punk muthafucka with a badge and a gun
      To be beatin on, and throwin in jail
      We could go toe to toe in the middle of a cell

• Bhazor says:

How dare we demand that an adult is held responsible for his actions? We are clearly the ones in the wrong here.

A group who, BTW, just published a list of 62000 email addresses.

• mwoody says:

19 is old enough to know better. Fuck him. I hope he rots for life.

44. Teddy Leach says:

PHWOAR, you sexy statistics!

I genuinely do not remember what I wrote in my census form.

45. heretic says:

I seem to remember something to do with whether I took the bus to work?

46. pipman3000 says:

lulzsec strikes back in horrible attack thousands dead and wounded entire country is a horse, film at eleven.

47. vanilla bear says:

The authorities have a far more effective form of punishment than a prosecution under the Computer Misuse Act, where the likely sentence would be a maximum of two years – and then a third off for an early guilty plea (max: 16 months) and then release on tag after a quarter of the sentence (max prison time: 4 months).

They simply start extradition proceedings to the US.

McKinnon’s proceedings have been going on since 2002, and I suspect he might have rather had a short jail sentence.

48. Joshua says:

Such a special group of hackers. And they obviously never heard of honeypots.

49. Gap Gen says:

Man, if I were still an undergraduate I’d totally start a drinking society called the “Serious Organised Crime Agency”.

Comment on this story