Nice Dwarf, But Is It Art?

By Brendan Caldwell on June 21st, 2011 at 2:19 pm.

This is how Frodo should've travelled.

Crikey. This man is travelling 2000 miles in a box at the beginning of next month and the only thing he says he will do while inside is play Lord of the Rings Online. Jordan Wayne Long is a performance and video artist who, from July 7, plans to travel from a town called Bald Knob (hehe) in Arkansas to Portland, Oregon in a specially designed crate. That’s across seven states. In a box. Playing LOTRO.

But why? Well, it’s art, dahling. So why not? Or maybe it’s not that simple. Long’s bio says that his current work “deals with trauma and the mechanisms used to deal with it.” Do people retreat into an online world to escape the trauma of the real world? It seems more than possible, so maybe he has a good point to make. Or maybe it’s just an odd, postmodern stunt. What do you reckon?

I wish I had a beard. And a headdress.

The journey will take him seven days, during which he will blog via his LOTRO character Townsfolk, a level 40 Dwarf from Meneldor. Meanwhile, a second team will record the journey from the outside of the crate. You can keep up with all the arty art at his official website, if you’re that way inclined.

Thankin’ ye, Massively.

, , , , , .

1. Mr_Initials says:

So does he have to like find food in game to have it delivered to him? cause i don’t see much space there

• pblackburn says:

Every time he kills a wild boar someone chucks some raw meat into the box.

• rabitjunk says:

Deleted – [Responded to wrong comment, see next thread]

• LionsPhil says:

Well said, rabitjunk.

…in the thread below. How the dickens? I guess we’re both getting overeager with the scrollbar. :V

2. Bhazor says:

“Performance artist”
    So “unemployed” then?

This seems familiar all told.

• johnpeat says:

In a world where people work in callcentres either cold-calling or fobbing-off people on behalf of companies, as IFAs, lawyers, marketting/PR people and many other worthless professions which simply leech from the goodwill (or lack of it) of others, knocking artists is a bit cheeky…

Keep on being envious of people who follow their own drum tho, by all means…

• Koojav says:

@johnpeat, seriously? Envy unemployed guy in a box? :D

Thanks but no thanks.

• johnpeat says:

It’s not what he’s doing – it’s that he’s able to do it which makes people envious I reckon.

People that feel they need to knock artists – or the unemployed – let alone conflate the 2, clearly have some issues…

• LionsPhil says:

There is no “ability” or “talent” on display here. If he were actually producing some artistic work of value, then envy may be a better excuse (except that, generally speaking, the Internet is actually pretty good at appreciating such).

The reason he is doing this bold thing which nobody else will is because it’s pointless, pretty bloody stupid, and makes no compelling or non-obvious “statement”, and most people have more sense and better things to do with their lives.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Man, I wish I had a box to live in.

• Unaco says:

@johnpeat

A man sealing himself into a box, to play LOTRO and travel across multiple states, clearly has some issues.

You’re right though… It’s not what he’s doing. It’s the fact that he’s dressing up what he’s doing as ‘art’… attributing to it some profound interpretation of our world, claiming that it’s making some ‘universal’ statement, or other such bleating.

• johnpeat says:

More bad news for the haters – whether you think it’s ‘art’ or not isn’t relevant.

@Lionsphil – whether you think there’s ability or talent on display or whether you consider his output ‘worthy’ isn’t relevant – your opinion is just that – your opinion, it has no bearing him, what he’s doing, what others deem it to be.

I’m not impressed at what he’s doing either tbh – but what we think about it has no bearing on what it is.

It’s not like he’s costing you anything by doing it – so again, I’m left thinking that those with a grudge are grinding a more personal axe…

• noodlecake says:

It’s more art than some bland cliché watercolour of a countryside or a nude. Art is about creating something that provokes an emotional response. If you’re the kind of person who sees everything completely literally then clearly art isn’t really your thing anyway. It’s not obviously aimed at you.

• noodlecake says:

Art isn’t about skill or craft. It’s about creativity. Drawing and painting are skills. You can be a skilled craftsman and a bad artist at the same time just like you can be a good artist without really having a refined craft. I would say someone who renders near photographic quality images of people that he sees is wonderfully skilled but if he doesn’t understand composition or just follows a sort of learned formula with no degree of instinct or originality then you’re not a particularly good artist.

• Unaco says:

@noodlecake…

Nice argument there. Yes, we are all just too dense, knuckle dragging plebeians to ‘get’ this art.

What Noodlecake and Johnpeat have failed to realise is that all of the other comments and commenters in this thread are actually artists, and these comments were our art. What you think about it doesn’t matter. Clearly our art wasn’t aimed at you, and went completely over your heads… You saw everything too literally.

• Bhazor says:

….er it was a joke.

So long as there’s no government arts council grant involved I don’t give a solitary fuck what he does in his spare time. Heck it might even be fun to read.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

You know, people laugh at me for liking My Little Pony, but they’re just envious about my lack of sexual insecurity.

• Pathetic Phallacy says:

@Unaco: It is okay that you don’t understand it. But instead of denouncing it as art, as if you were some sort of authority, perhaps you could ask what it means to the people who believe it to be art. I think that might be more constructive than pretending like you understand everything there is to know about the giant umbrella term of ‘art’.

• Unaco says:

@Pathetic Phallacy…
      I DO understand it. Deeply. As if it were written upon my very bones. It’s the people who claim we are merely ‘denouncing’ this work who don’t get it. They don’t get that we are artists as well, and our comments are our art. If these people could understand and appreciate our art, rather than questioning our understanding of our own art, that would be a lot more constructive.

If you’re having problems seeing our art Pathetic Phallacy, or if you’re just jealous of our amazing art, that’s OK. You don’t believe in our art, but many do… and it’s those people’s thoughts that matter.

• noodlecake says:

@Unaco Wow. Intelligent response there being that these comments were written with the intention of being taken literately (or in some cases ironically). I’m not accusing anyone of being dim or trying to appear superior in any way. I’m a practising artist myself and I always find it a little sad that people don’t try to think about what artists are attempting to explore with their work. They just go “WTF!? Moron!”

That’s one of the reasons my work isn’t anywhere near that adventurous! I definitely worry too much about general public response.

It’ll be interesting to hear the story of this afterwards, I think. The thoughts of a guy locked in a box for 7 days with nothing but a boring repetitive MMORPG to play. It definitely conveys the point he’s trying to make clearly and it’s also quite experimental because the who thing will genuinely be quite traumatic and he will just have the game as a distraction. I think following this could be quite interesting.

• noodlecake says:

@Unaco I’m aware that that was a joke. It was just airing a tad on the predictable side. Well done for repeating it in case nobody saw it the first time. ;)

• johnpeat says:

@Bhazor He’s Chris Morris – he’s a genius and widely acknowledged as such.

You aren’t, so we’ve judged your joke not to be a joke and furthermore sentenced you to the total perspective vortex…

**polishes off the rest of the fairy cake**

• Nallen says:

If he was playing a truck sim of a truck travelling his route in real time this would be art, no doubt.

• LionsPhil says:

I see that this story has dug up the kind of people where if I were to take a dump on a plate and declare it art would then jump to my defence against the hordes of those shameful lesser classes who just don’t “get it”, so that they can feel smug and cultured themselves in my radiant glory with my deep and insightful piece raising questions about the food cycle.

“Performance artist” is a fancy way of saying “unemployed wastrel”.

• field_studies says:

I hope those that want to rail against performance art in general will have looked into this guy’s work specifically before commenting. Go to his site and watch “Box piece number two.” Should appeal to the videogamer-adventurer in us.
      You might not like his work in general, but its the details that are important, and on this current piece his own site doesn’t provide enough detail to give a good sense of it yet. The project is just beginning; the least we could do is reserve some judgment.
      I’ve seen plenty of bad performance art, including much recently that appears to be elaborate excuses to play Second Life, but those who want to paint all performance art with the same brush (sorry, sorry) are going to be disappointed to find that a) The world is full of it, and has been for longer than any of us have been alive, and b) a lot of it is very interesting, particularly if we can get past our initial, visceral reaction of, “is this art?”
      If anyone’s struggling with getting past that question, or appreciating contemporary art in general, I want to highly recommend going to iTunes U, searching for UC Berkeley’s “Practice of Art 8″, and listening to the dozen or so lectures there. Very accessible, and worth a listen, whether you’re an art aficionado or never set foot in a gallery.

• Donjonson says:

PSHAW! Performance art!? GUFFAW! This guy is obviously an idiot! In a box?! Computer games?! PSHAW! NO I haven’t nor will I check out his website! Pointless! On the dole! ART?! NO I have not witnessed or been involved any in performance art, it’s POINTLESS ON THE DOLE?! Scrounger! PSHAW!?

• MrThrope says:

@Unaco You’re comments are your art? pshaw. Thank you for those yuks.

• Sonicberry says:

I say it’s art if it causes mouthbreathing knuckledraggers to flame each other about whether or not it’s art.

• Nalano says:

New art project:

Get people to mail me a dollar every time they use the term “mouthbreathing knuckledragger” on an online forum.

• rabitjunk says:

“Art” is one of those words that means absolute shite anymore, so to argue over whether it’s “art” is like arguing over whether it’s a “kabooggle zim zammer”.

A better question is, “is it interesting”? Making something obtuse doesn’t automatically catapult it into the realm of “interestingness”. Not thinking about things, doesn’t make you wise.

The defense of the talentless and uninspired is always, “You don’t _get_ it”. But there are certain people who _do_ understand, who are probably more clever and intelligent than the “artist”, who simply are not interested by whatever idea they are attempting to convey. Not because they are philistines, but rather for the same reason that someone jingling their keys in your face isn’t a source of amusement for you anymore.

Not all ideas are best represented as “art”, some ideas are best expressed in prose – but it’s not nearly as easy to make a cogent, well thought out argument as it is to claim that you’re an “artist”.

And to say, “Well if you don’t like it, you don’t understand it” is childish.

• johnpeat says:

@lionsphil – it takes REAL ignorance to keep branding everyone and everything with the same brush – and even deeper ignorance to make it sound like everyone in the world is at fault EXCEPT you…

That the best you could probably come-up with is taking a dump on a plate shouldn’t come as a surprise then – every wonder if you’re missing something tho – I mean really???

• LionsPhil says:

I’m starting to suspect that johnpeat is a bitter performance artist who couldn’t con funding of any kind out of anyone.

No, I don’t wonder that, especially not with three question marks. There is nothing here to miss. There is no depth of meaning, no emotional statement, no message, beyond the trite, shallow, and obvious.

3. Tei says:

He is probably going to risk his health. But all I can think now is the sniper of TF2 and jars of lemonade.

4. jonfitt says:

What an odd idea.
    He could have chosen a less stereotypical game though. Playing an MMO for 7 days straight is hardly novel.
    Now 7 days of TF2 would be something I would tune in to. You’d lose your mind!

• Psychopomp says:

7 days of DNF.

• psyk says:

7 days of TF2 would be to easy. need something bad, something like that truck sim from the other day or first release elemental.

• Koozer says:

I was hoping it would be Dwarf Fortress from the title. A 7-day straight game of DF would stretch your sanity further than your dwarves’.

• jonfitt says:

I thought about DF when I saw the headline too. You’d get seriously attached to your dwarves if they were your only company for 7 days!

That or Minecraft could be good. Something where you’re exploring and manipulating a virtual world while trapped in a box. Not an MMO where you’re basically grinding in a box anyway… ohIseewhatyoudidthere.

• mbp says:

I guess it would have been just too obvious for him to play “Desert Bus”

• jonfitt says:

OOoh, Oregon Trail!

• Barnaby says:

Seven days of TF2? I can hardly play 10 minutes before I’m reminded why I loathe the game now.

I wonder how long it takes before his back and shoulders start hurting in that crate.

5. Unaco says:

“What do you reckon?”

It’s all a load of toss. Which actually gives me an idea for my entry in next years Turner Prize.

6. LionsPhil says:

If you’re killed in the Matrix, you die here?
    The body cannot live without the mind.

So, does LotRO do PvP? :3c

7. poop says:

why

8. HilariousCow says:

Not only is he convincing his girlfriend that “games are art and that’s why you need to stop disturbing me WHEN I’M IN THE MIDDLE OF A RAID”, but he’s also found a way to stop his girlfriend disturbing him.

9. Hoaxfish says:

10 months later: Corpse found in UK postal sorting office.

10. Jake says:

Townsfolk is a rubbish name for a Dwarf, some people have no imagination.

• noodlecake says:

What would you have called him? :)

• Salt says:

Urist McUrist, obviously.

• Teddy Leach says:

Salt, comparatively few people will get that joke, so I applaud you.

• Jake says:

I dunno, Thunderbelly or Grumblebeard.

• Jake says:

Oh wait, forgot it is LoTR, so it would have to be Snorri Thunderbelly and Gummi Grumblebeard.

• Nalano says:

Still don’t understand why people just choose random nouns that they might have picked from looking out their window upon character generation.

I suspect in another generation or two we’ll have “Tablelamp Williams” and “Laserjet Stevens.”

11. DirtyData says:

Seems like another exercise in first world privilege …

12. Christian O. says:

I don’t think the question is “Is It Art?” but rather “Is This Terrible Art?” or “Is This Utterly Uninteresting Art?”

Art is a pretty wide field, but it’s a field that’s filled with more fertilizer and manure than crops or flowers. Especially thanks to uninspired and asinine performance art.

• Pathetic Phallacy says:

And you are an authority on art?

If you don’t understand performance art, that’s fine. The best thing to do is ask the artist or perhaps ask fellow art appreciators as to what they believe the performance means.

But I guess denouncing an entire form of art is cool too.

• icupnimpn2 says:

I keep expecting the Guinness Book to show up. “Longest distance traveled in a crate while playing an online game.” Except the dude isn’t promising to stay awake the whole time, so it’s kinda a half-way effort.

• Starky says:

Art is a subjective reaction, there is no real authority on the subject. People can be experts on the history of art, on methods and institutions of art, on artists and the works of artists even on entire movements, periods, and styles – but they cannot really be experts on the (non-practical) quality.

Of course been expert in one of those things might lend their opinion on the quality of a piece of art more credence or weight, but in the end it is still their subjective personal reaction.
      They could state how well painted something was, how expertly the use of colour and shading was executed, how much skill it took to produce the piece, but they cannot say to what extent it should be appreciated, or if it is good or bad art – not as any kind of objective fact.

That said, my opinion on this is it is idiotic – art it may be, but it is bad, uninteresting and pointless art.

• Nalano says:

Pathetic Phallacy, why is it that your first kneejerk response is to assume that, because he doesn’t like it, he doesn’t understand it? He understands it. I understand it. Everything under the sun is art, which makes all of us authorities on art, and most art – when we apply Sturgeon’s Law – is crap.

If you’re going to toss around the “who’s the bigger authority on this,” then we have to ask: Who the hell are you and what makes you think you’re more informed than the average netizen, and why for that matter should we take your word for it?

• Christian O. says:

I was talking specifically about this piece of performance art.

“And you are an authority on art?

But I guess denouncing an entire form of art is cool too.”

Where did I claim to be an expert, or denounce performance art as an artform in that post? There’s a lot of brilliant performance art out there (I quite like Signa and Orlan for example). It is, however, also one of the easiest forms to engage in and thus one that is easily abused and most often abused. For example, a dude spending seven days playing an MMORPG, while he’s in a box travelling across the country. It’s boring and it’s vapid. Which, for me, are cardinal sins in art.

And the artist isn’t the single authority on their own art. The art is suppose to be a thing in and of itself. Interpretation sort of loses its purpose, if you believe in authorial meanings. You can see art in relation to the artist, but to think of his interpretation as definitive is pretty boring.

Daiv says:

What’s this mysterious package? It’s got electronics, piping, and weird noises and smells coming from within… Somebody call out the National Guard! I need an armoured brigade to surround this box! Captain, perform a controlled detonation of this suspicious device, then trace its origin and arrest everyone involved. For the next thirty years they’ll be sending boxes… From Guantanamo.

14. Tei says:

This will solve once and for all where all these lost baggages end…

15. Pobblepop says:

If he farts and follows through he’ll hear me laughing from England.

16. jon_hill987 says:

It’s not art any more than David Blaine standing in a box for a month is magic.

• Pathetic Phallacy says:

Thank you for your deep reflection on what is and what is not art. The debate is finished!

• Koozer says:

That was hilarious watching the guy fly the RC helicopter up to the box with a burger cellotaped to it.

• Bhazor says:

@ Koozer
      This would have been good as well. Especially if was just gently bumping against the wall the whole time.

17. bwion says:

I’ll admit, I can think of worse fates than to sit in a box playing videogames for a week.

It’d have to be quite a large box, mind.

18. squirrel says:

Really, in my city there are quite a number of people living in similar environment. The main difference is that they often cannot afford a computer like Mr. Long does.

Saul says:

In other news, here’s some performance art worth watching: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/20/martynka-wawrzyniaks-choc_n_878796.html

• noodlecake says:

Wow! That’s pretty powerful. I’ve seen a similar thing done by someone else by an artist in the 90′s involving a bath with sort of murky water. The chocolate and the fact that the artist is an attractive female totally changes the feel of it though. I found it quite hard to watch

• jon_hill987 says:

noodlecake, do you mean tubgirl?

• noodlecake says:

Ha ha! Yes. I mean tub girl. Drowning the crate guy in chocolate syrup while he’s trying to play LOTRO would be a bit harsh!

• YourMessageHere says:

Harsh, but fair.

EDIT: no, I can’t just leave it at that. The Polish chocolateboarding thing and this have little in common except one thing – the artist may be interested in getting a message or statement or mindset across to the viewer, but they don’t actually make clear at any point what it is. This leads people to come up with their own interpretations, and inevitably, many of those will be highly negative.

I’ll admit, my first thought (in both cases) was that this was a stupid stunt without insight, creativity, originality or any other form of merit – but I will happily admit that I could be wrong. However, I need some sort of hint here. Those who are leaping to his defence, who say this needs to be understood – what is the meaning or statement here? What makes this a worthy artistic statement and not an asinine stunt? Help us understand.

• Jake says:

Hmm, I can’t watch that chocolate girl video without picturing a sweaty, leering Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka doing the pouring. Whatever floats your boat, Mr Wonka.

• Grygus says:

I couldn’t watch the whole thing. I think the choice of point of view is what got to me; the suggestion that I was the one pouring the chocolate but unable to control it was somehow unbearable. Interesting.

Saul says:

@yourmessagehere: The thing about art (which Roger Ebert will never understand) is that it is about an interaction between artist and audience, leading to an emotional reaction in the audience. Some art very deliberately aims to create a very specific response. Other art leaves the audience more latitude for interpretation, and this is why games have such potential to be a powerful artistic form quite different in character to other forms. Both approaches can be effective.

The girl drowning in chocolate certainly evoked a range of emotions in me, though not necessarily the same ones as anyone else who watched it. But I felt it was a unique and worthwhile experience, and for me, that makes it art.

20. Drake Sigar says:

Good thing he’s not using the Royal Mail eh? *Grumble*

21. DougallDogg says:

Bald Knob (*sniggers*) whats wrong with these people that decide on town names? There’s a Waterly Bottom round the corner from me (not literally).

This guy is going to get loads of grief ie. being a basement dweller or unemployed. Just drop the pretensions already saying it’s ‘Art’ and say it’s in the name of charity. Yeah you’ll still get bashed but not as much (one would hope).

22. Vexing Vision says:

I’d love to stay in a box playing games. Carry me all you want!

23. Pathetic Phallacy says:

You are god damn right it’s art. The question should be: “Is this an art form you appreciate?”

24. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Shit in a bucket!

No, that wasn’t a curse, that’s probably literally what he’ll need to do. Shit. In. A. Bucket.

25. MrTambourineMan says:

I think he should just put some sand in his box so that he could play sandbox games, no danger of connection problems.

26. Gonefornow says:

So, he has some freetime and he is going to use it playing a game.
    I can get behind that.

He is doing it inside a box while being carried over yonder by some other people.
    I can get behind that. I think it’s weird, though, but why not?

Is it Art?
    For now yes. You see, for me, art is the skill of doing or making something.
    If someone else does this thing in a more skillful way then that will be artistic and this just a pioneering relic.

In any case I think this is a great example of human creativity and modern freedom conjoined.
    Turning a wild/weird/wonderful idea to reality just for the lulz and because you can has never been as easy as today.

27. jonfitt says:

Is there going to be an Internet connection available 100% of the time from Arkansas to Portland, Oregon? It’s going to be veeeery boring for him when they’re crossing the empty areas of the US with not even a mobile phone signal.

28. Apocalypse 31 says:

See that container in the bottom left hand side? Thats probably where the poo goes!

29. Alphabet says:

I am in fact a genuine authority on what is and isn’t art, to the extent that a background in aesthetics and art history can confer any authority, and I am of the opinion that this is in fact art. Further, I think it’s interesting and not immediately to be dismissed. I am amazed at the ungrounded confidence of the instant dismissals earlier in this thread,.

• Nalano says:

Life is short and the art field is wide.

Ergo.

• Alphabet says:

Ergo what?

The world of art is vast, and no-one could be an expert on it all. But the philosophical subfield of aesthetics devoted to the question of what, if anything, demarcates art from non-art is small, though it is substantial, And expertise therein is attainable. Sure, it’s defeasible. But it’s real. “Everything under the sun,” as you put it above, isn’t art; nor is ‘what I say is art, art’ true. Each of those might appeal to a first-year undergrad, but they aren’t sustainable theories. (That’s not to say they can be succinctly refuted in an internet comments thread, but neither can behaviourism, or Cartesian dualism, or libertarianism, and they’re all false, too).

This man is making art, that’s certain. It might well be good art; it’s hard to tell yet, and it might take a specific expert to elucidate its meaning for non-specialists. But there it is, and good on him for doing it.

• Nalano says:

Ergo we don’t have to waste our time on every petty example that comes our way.

And if you need a pedigreed “expert” to tell you whether what you’re looking at is good, the art is crap and you’re so noodle-spined that you can’t trust your own senses.

• Alphabet says:

So you’re a good judge of Mesopotamian pottery, or Argentine poetry, are you? You know a lot about the sort of things that performance artists are responding to and trying to achieve? Because then you wouldn’t need an expert, you’d be one. Unless you’re saying that your opinions are as good as anyone else’s, which is hilarious.

• Christian O. says:

Why do you think it’s interesting though?

I don’t find it interesting, because it’s a guy sitting in a box playing an MMORPG – I don’t see what it’s about, it doesn’t invoke any particular feeling in me, and it doesn’t conjure up any interesting or substantial thoughts.
      As a result, I don’t see the value of it.

PS. Cartesian dualism can be pretty much annihilated by the simple argument that something that isn’t material cannot effect something that is material. Ergo the mental or immaterial substances can’t effect the material substances. It’s why he tried that bullshit pineal gland argument.

30. Freud says:

Crates have gone from containing items in games to containing the actual gamer.

Touché, gamer artist.

Lambchops says:

The bloke who swapped a paper clip for a house never claimed it was art.

Dave Gorman never claimed his Googlewhack adventure or search for other Dave Gorman’s were art.

Danny Wallace never claimed saying yes to everything for a year was art.

I never claimed that stopping for a drink at the nearest pub to every stop on the Glasgow subway (as many a man or woman before me has done) before subsequently falling down an escalator was art.

This sounds like a similar kind of venture (albiet bigger scale than the pub crawl and smaller than the paper clip swap) therefore to claim it as art seems absurd.

SCIENCE FACT!

32. Sinnorfin says:

specially designed crate ?

And not even a hole to shit out of :D

33. Teddy Leach says:

Let’s lock him in a cupboard for three months with no light and only DOOM, Duke Nukem 3d, and WGRealms 2 to play. Only feed him raw meat and beer.

Let’s see what comes out.

34. Noni says:

I don’t think 7 days is long enough. It’s not hard at all to play an MMO for 7 days straight. >_>

Let’s give him tetris, and see if he escapes into a world of endlessly falling blocks.

35. Jahandar says:

Sure, you can say its art, but to do so broadens the definition of art so much that it becomes meaningless; to the point where I could legitimately claim that my typing this post is art.

And before you ask, yes, I am qualified to judge what is and is not art, as is every other living person.

36. Surgeon says:

if he was doing it for charity, I could sort of see the point of it.
    But as it stands? Art? My arse. He’s just a cock in a box.

• Teddy Leach says:

A friend of a friend put his cock in a box for his girlfriend’s birthday. He dressed as a postman and gift-wrapped a box. He then cut a hole in it and put himself through it. He carried it all the way to her house and knocked on the door. When she answered, he asked her to open the box. She did so and he was dumped on the spot.

True story. I am also so sorry for feeling the urge to share that.

• Surgeon says:

Hehe, sounds like he’s been watching too many The Lonely Island videos.

• Acorino says:

Or maybe he was inspired by this SNL sketch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhwbxEfy7fg

37. passingstranger says:

I’d be a bit fed up with people like this if I considered myself a performance artist. A whole lot of things that fall under that label consist of really pointless displays which serve better as 3 minute puff pieces for local news programs than any serious discussion about art or the human condition.

However, every once in a while, there’s someone like this.

God damn.

Big Murray says:

I’ll laugh if his wireless drops out and he’s left in a box contemplated what he’s done.

39. MrThrope says:

How exactly does he plan to dookie? I mean he could just piss in a bottle like some other non-crippled, non-stuck in a box MMO players I’ve met. Raiding is serious business and all that mountain dew will go right through you. But seriously does it have a drainage system like a caravan or does he just turn around and press his arse against one of those holes in front of him?

40. Davman says:

What is he going to do on Patch day?

41. DD says:

Hey I live in Portland! Go Beervana and videogames, ect. ect.

42. Jake says:

I’m not condoning Lulzsec but if they were to bring down LOTRO while this dude is stuck in the box that would be quite funny.

• sinister agent says:

Oh god. Oh god, that would be amazing. That would be the first thing they’ve done that I could respect, especially if they pass it off as some kind of artistic commentary – then this guy would be completely snookered.

43. Zwebbie says:

A negative Start-to-Crate value! I get it! Clever. That’s why he’s the artist, I would never have come up with that.

44. Mr E Meats says:

He couldn’t pick a better game?

45. Ryn Taylor says:

I have never seen an instant of “performance art” that actually seems like art to me. This, at best, is something interesting to follow along (though is doesn’t particularly interest me). It all seems more like people who’s father’s didn’t pay them enough attention to me.

46. Torgen says:

So, is this this guy’s audition to replace the guy on Jackass that totaled his Porsche (and himself) while drunk?

47. sinister agent says:

Lord of the WOW was a rubbish choice.

Someone should fix the machine he’s using to run nothing but continunous nyan cat videos. And then seal the box.

Nogo says:

Part that really struck me is how he’ll “only [be] communicating through an online game called LOTRO.” Whole thing could be renamed “DIY Matrix.” I wonder how he’ll feel after being battered by unseen hands, transplanted without transition and forced into isolation for seven days. Harrowing experience to say the least.

Really tho, cut the man some slack. He’s obviously not seeking your validation, and I doubt he sees seven days locked in a box as a vacation, so keep an open mind and try to judge him on the completed work.

My personal interpretation is that he’s attempting to investigate the sociability of MMO environments under semi-stressful situations (srsly, being stuck in a small moving crate for seven days sounds like shit.)

Anyways, RPS should score an interview. Leading question: Why LOTRO?

49. Ankheg says:

No shit, man?!

50. benjaminlobato says:

Predictable that so many here are denigrating him as an unemployed wastrel, but I think this is pretty cool.

Why would someone lock themselves up in a room for a week and do nothing but play a computer game? Good question.