Terraria To Give Gravity The Boot

By Brendan Caldwell on June 21st, 2011 at 4:15 pm.

You know what they say: 'Hit it with a stick.'
That’s what Terraria has been missing all this time – anti-gravity boots. Of course! How could we all be so blind? Walking around on the floor with a pair of regular shoes, like a pleb. So set in our small-minded ways. Well, you’d better get in on this. You know what they say: “Upright is uptight.” You don’t want to be uptight, do you? I didn’t think so. Best go below and watch the trailer for update 1.0.5, wherein you will see more delights, including Hellfire Arrows, the Dark Lance and some hints at some kind of alchemy business.

There’s no release date for the update yet but developers Re-Logic have also promised new potions and buffs and lots more in this forum post.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. noom says:

Ahh! So much new stuff. The music, and the stabbings, and the sparkling, and the walking on water, and the magics, and the HUD stuff! Great. Gonna have to start playing again :3

• Keymonk says:

I like the music the best, honestly.

• The Sentinel says:

Don’t blame you – the music is fabulous!

• noom says:

Also, underground parallaxing! Not sure how I missed that on the first view…

• Baconberries says:

noom, on the relevant reddit post the parallaxing is discussed – apparently it has been an option all along, requiring a config tweak to enable. See r/terraria for details.

• thebigJ_A says:

What do you mean, config file? Parallaxing is right in the in-game options menu. My backgrounds have been like that since I turned it on the day the game came out.

2. squareking says:

VVVVVV’d

Looking fantastic!

3. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Adding another dimension to a 2D game without the z-axis?
    Is this magic?

4. wonderpookie says:

Damn, I wish I could multi-weapon-task like that!

5. jonfitt says:

Save me a Google my dears: does this game have a playable demonstration?

• Tacroy says:

Currently not, my good sir, but if you just don’t eat out this weekend you can afford the full version.

It’s kind of interesting actually, the utility of a demo decreases as the price of the game goes down. I should make a graph.

• jonfitt says:

The problem is, I hear people referring to it as Minecraft-like with deformable terrain and crafting/building (good) and then I see a video here where it looks like a MetroidVania game (bad (imho)).

I have not a clue if I would like it, and that’s exactly where a demo would step in and flaunt its wares.

• Abundant_Suede says:

It’s all those things. And other things.

The action component is fairly WYSIWYG though, so if you can look at those videos and truly find no appeal there at all, then you could pass on the game. The building, exploration, crafting, and rpg-like progression all serve to support that 2D sidescolling action gameplay.

I honestly dont know how you could cobble together an effective demo for the game, really. The game is a (literal) sandbox. I supposed they could release some sort of limited time-play version, but the true charms of the game aren’t apparent until you’re well into the world.

If it sounds like it holds any appeal at all, though, the price on Steam is utterly reasonable. It isn’t really much of a gamble.

• Vinraith says:

@jonfitt

Sounds like you have exactly the same problem I do. There’s no demo, I love the sound of the crafting and building and well motivated exploring, but am not a fan of metroidvania games. Every time I read about the game, I want to buy it. Every time I watch a video, I decide I’ll wait a bit. I’ve seldom been this conflicted about a new title.

• goodgimp says:

It’s only ten dollars, Nancy.

• Vinraith says:

“It’s only ten dollars”

So are lots of other things.

• Abundant_Suede says:

I’m not really sure where there’s cause for such hand-wringing here. If you are fundamentally opposed to a Metroidvania style game, why would you buy a game with a strong metroidvania component, and expect to like it? If the only aspect of the game that interests you is the building and exploration, there are better games out there for that.

If you fundamentally dislike racing games, would you enjoy one just because it has light rpg mechanics? If so , I would say you dont really dislike all racing games, just some that you have played, and can enjoy them where they introduce interesting angles. If that is the case with your opinion of MV style games as well, then Terraria may really appeal to you.

Sadly, Terraria is not the sort of game that is easily demoed. I would not have recommended the game based on an hour of gameplay, but the hours that came after were very rewarding in this quirky stew of a game. You’ve got reviews, writes ups, and word of mouth available for you to consider.

In the end, the game is the price of a single two hour movie ticket. Life is full of tough decisions. This isn’t really one of them.

• DJ Phantoon says:

If you don’t enjoy the Metroidness, this game is not for you. It’s far more fightin’ oriented than Minecraft ever will be.

You just won’t enjoy it. Really. Metroid is one of my favorite game series ever (blasphemy I know) so this is of course wonderful for me.

• JuJuCam says:

@Suede, your comment reminded me that the unlikely most played game of the last year in my somewhat vast library was and is Backbreaker, a Euphoria powered American Grid Iron game that’s console only. I don’t own any other sports games whatsoever (besides Blood Bowl if that even counts, which incidentally has also clocked up some decent mileage on my system), never even played another modern Grid Iron game, but Euphoria turns that into the most unexpectedly hilarious and (slightly more expectedly) brutal game I’ve ever played. The right angle on a generally disliked genre can definitely swing favour.
      Having said that, you’re certainly not wrong about Terraria. Although if people were more specific about what they didn’t like about Metroidvania, maybe we could be more convincing. I don’t find the combat at all onerous in Terraria, mainly because escalating the tech tree of weapons and armour is pretty gentle (and if it’s really that much of a concern, you can join a server with a generous soul who is willing to part with their high powered equipment and leapfrog you through that part of the game). And the exploration is made somewhat easier by the fact that you can pick your way through most obstacles. Literally, with a pickaxe.

• The_B says:

Personally I think the best way to describe the difference between the two: Minecraft is about giving you a set of tools and letting you do what you want, Terraria is more about Discovery, and discovering the world, the enemies within it and discovering how you can improve your character and town with armour, weapons and pickups.

6. Malibu Stacey says:

Please stop posting about this awesome game as you keep making me want to play it & I just don’t have time with all the other games I’m still playing.
    It’s like gaming torture. Damn you RPS hivemind!

7. identiti_crisis says:

Fucking cliffracers bats.

8. Abundant_Suede says:

I had finally managed to extricate myself from the spiky tendrils of Terraria after a solid week of pure obsession…and now this.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

9. passingstranger says:

I am a huge fan of what this game has chosen to be.

It has slowed down, but the initial phase of exploring, accidentally triggering bosses far too advanced for our group, and staring in awe at the rocket boots was some of the most co-op fun I’ve had with friends in a while. I hope they keep it up.

10. Mr_Hands says:

At this rate, I predict that Terraria in 2012 will be utterly unrecognizable.

It’ll have a Blake Stone emulator built inside it somehow.

• The Sentinel says:

Judging by the speed at which people got pissed off with Minecraft (Going purely by how much moaning there is on every Mc thread now) I predict that in 2012 they’ll have turned on Terraria, too.

Those fickle, fickle fans. Sigh.

• Wisq says:

My understanding (and my own sentiment) is that people turned on Minecraft because it was being developed at a fantastic rate, they bought it because it was already cool and had the promise of so much more in the very immediate future, it went viral, they made oodles of money … and then suddenly slowed down, releasing less and less frequently, always promising more but taking ages to deliver. It’s a feeling of “what did my money go towards, anyway?” (Answer: towards their next game which I’m not terribly interested in, or not yet anyway.)

Terraria has already made oodles of money and seems to be _accelerating_ for it. As long as they can keep this up, I think they’ll be fine.

• Wulf says:

Seeing people talking about buying Minecraft as a tax is vastly confusing to me.

When you talk about where your money is going, it’s like you’re paying for a service, you hand over your money every so often and get something from it. But Notch wasn’t charging a subscription. You paid and you got all the content up to the point you paid. Now, if you were paying regularly then I could completely get behind you, but as it is I’m just confused.

11. goodgimp says:

I’m sporting a spritely two dimensional boner right now.

• unlimitedgiants says:

You need to get out more.

Use that wood to make a door … and go outside!

12. Lukasz says:

so no need for balloon, cloud and rocket boots? a bit overpowered.

• Fiatil says:

Gift horse, straight to mouth.

• Wulf says:

Y’know what would fix that? Exponentially increasing G-Forces. The further you fall, the harder it hurts. Sure, you can fall up to a floating island, but the effect would be not all that different to falling off of a floating island. That is to say… *SPLUTCH!*

Yes, I’m doing my onomatopoeia today. *POST!*

13. MythArcana says:

This is major update number five which includes yet another bushel of features and things to keep you busy. It’s almost endless with possibilities with each new update…

Meanwhile, back at the Minebawks camp; we MAY get A PISTON soon after over a month without updates. That is, when they feel like revisiting the PC version after Notch plays with 14 different portables and consoles. Boy, did Mojang take a big dump on the PC users…almost as bad as MS did with Windows 8.

• Pointless Puppies says:

Since when was an article on Terraria an invitation to start spouting senseless vitriol against Minecraft?

Gotta love the whiners. They whine about Minecraft even in NON-Minecraft articles.

“What? Oh hey, Jenny. Just hanging. Yeah, I managed to talk to my manager, he’s a total douche. Those stupid guys I was telling you about spilled some junk on the floor and my manager just blamed it on me. I swear to god he’s getting really on my nerves. Yeah, that guy. No, the one with the red hair. And the brown hair. I KNOW, they haven’t been fired still. And my manager’s thinking of firing ME. I bet he doesn’t know that MINECRAFT HASN’T BEEN UPDATED FOR A MONTH ALREADY AND NOTCH IS TAKING A DUMP ON ALL OF US. HE DOESN’T CARE ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE AND WE’RE GETTING ONE LOUSY PISTON WHEN THEY FEEL LIKE IT. THE NERVE OF THOSE GU- hello? Jenny? You there?”

• Thants says:

Commenting on the rate of updates for Minecraft on an article about a game often compared to Minecraft being updated doesn’t seem that unreasonable.

• Xocrates says:

Commenting on Minecraft in an article about a game often compared to Minecraft makes sense, commenting on the rate of updates of Minecraft often doesn’t even make sense in Minecraft specific articles.

Honestly, Notch has no obligation to deliver content updates at all by this point, much less doing so at a rapid pace. We paid for the game “as is”, even if apparently some of us did so in the hopes that it would eventually become something else.

He could deem the game feature complete tomorrow and never update the game again and we would have no moral ground to call him on it.

Personally, if I was notch, I would have either stopped updating the game long ago or wouldn’t release any further updates until the official release, even if only as a reaction to all the people whining about the update frequency.
      In my view we’re lucky to get updates at all, and even more lucky that we can use mods to add other features we might want.

• The Sentinel says:

You gonna dump on Minecraft every chance you get, MythArcana? Some might call that Trolling…

We understand you’re upset. Let it out, big guy. Have a wee cry if it makes you feel better. There there.

• Wulf says:

Hmmmm…

I like Terraria a lot and I certainly think that Terraria is the better game than Minecraft and a lot of that has to do with the frequency of the updates in Terraria. No, this has nothing to do with entitlement. Minecraft can be updated however little it likes and it would still be awesome for what it is, but what’s going on with Terraria makes it the better game.

Minecraft, however, is as it has always been – the better LEGO set. Not so much about exploration or adventure, and therefore it doesn’t need content pumped into it, as it’s more about the stuff you build rather than what someone else builds. Thus Minecraft is less a game and more of a toybox. When has it ever been any other way? So Minecraft doesn’t really need a slew of updates.

I think some bought Minecraft not fully understanding what it was, and Terraria fills that gap nicely, so of course those who’re looking for less of a toybox and more of a game will have more fun in Terraria. And vice versa is also equally as much true.

What’s pointless however is comparing them. Whilst they share some fundamentals, they’re clearly both very much their own individual creatures, the one is a game, with progression, and bosses, and RPG elements. The other is all about building. You’ll never be able to build anything in Terraria that looks even a quarter as impressive as something built in Minecraft, but if you’re looking to play a game, you’ll have more fun in Terraria.

Still, they’re just not comparable, IMHO. People try, but I don’t think they are.