In The Trenches: Running With Rifles

By Jim Rossignol on June 22nd, 2011 at 7:00 pm.

The fog of war, eh?
Okay, look, this is a tough one for good screenshots, but nevertheless promising. It’s an oddity that I am sure a few of you will be interested in. It’s an early version of a game by Modulaatio Games, called Running With Rifles. You can download it on the site there. The game is a top-down, Cannon Fodder-y sort of soldier thing, but on a wide-open sandbox of a battlefield. There are two nations shooting each other and drawing up battle-lines across the map. (Hit Tab to see what’s going on in terms of the territory, and also to guide yourself to the action via the onscreen info-prompts.) The battles are brief and brutal, but if you start working with the AI there’s some interesting stuff going on. Just be prepared for a lot of running. I’ve not managed to get an online game (presumably not working yet) but it’s something that could evolve interestingly in the coming months. Right now I’m imagining a sort of 2D Battlefield game, with teeming AI. Something like that.

Okay, not exactly a Battlefield 3 video, but you need to get down in the trenches man. YOU WOULDN’T UNDERSTAND, YOU WEREN’T THERE, MAN.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. thegrieve says:

Love the look of it. Reminds me of the oft-forgotten “Chain of Command”, from the long defunct 2AM Games, but a lot more dynamic.

Definitely going to give it a go and keep a close eye on it.

Cheers.

• Heria says:

Chain of Command, now there is a game i havent played in a loong time! I wonder if there is a substitute for it out there somewhere??

• BAReFOOt says:

It reminds me of…

Let’s just say: I prefer scissors. ;)

• Labatts says:

You can still play Chain of Command at chain-hq.com

2. crainey92 says:

Looks fun I’ll give it a try.

3. CMaster says:

My first thought was that it needed a cover system. On reflection though it already has one. It just needs more appropriate height cover and some way of indicating which is said cover and which isn’t.

Also, initially it felt like the AI sought me out especially. I’d join up with a group, and be gunned down first upon enemy contact, despite hanging at the back.

Finally, I’d advise players to pick a reasonable starting rank. Much more interesting to have a squad with you, than have to either risk going it alone, or follow a squad around who are defending a point that won’t even be contested until 3 more have fallen.

On an “opinions” level, I’d say looks promising, but isn’t an engaging game yet.

• Eagle0600 says:

I found it very engaging, both when I was working with other mens’ squads and when I broke off commando-style.

4. JFS says:

Where are those trenches? I love myself a good trench, but I can’t see any.

• Eagle0600 says:

You’re in luck! There’s two of them. And they’re good ones, too.

5. Xocrates says:

Having had a quick go at it, I can see this becoming really fun in huge multiplayer skirmishes and will likely have an eye out for it.

That said, they really need to have a look at the visual style. It currently isn’t very easy in the eyes since everything is so blurred and monochrome, it’s especially bad that the “baddies” team can become nearly invisible in certain conditions.

As a pre-alpha, it’s hugely promising.

6. Inigo says:

“Hmm. Should I mention anywhere on the website or readme file that pressing G throws grenades?
    Nah. Why would they need to know that?”

7. CMaster says:

Thoughts:
    There’s a lot of space for “classes” or loadouts at least.
    Obvious ones:
    Support: Carries an LMG. Has to be stationary to fire, big mag, high RoF, big cone (some shots fly up/down and wont hit enemies).
    Grenadier. Carries an X shot grenade launcher. Deadly but vulnerable.
    Commando: Suppressed SMG, demolition charges instead of nades.
    Sniper: Only fires when stationary for 1 second or more. Zooms out at said point.
    Spotter: Carries smoke grenades that call in fire support.

(I notice the about page already mentions MGs, not sure if they’d be fixed or deployable). All these things would need testing, as they could be irritating rather than adding to the game.

• Jinkeez says:

…I don’t know if they want it to evolve into something that complex, but if they do, it would be neat to also have an engineer class that could deploy sandbags or build trenches/fortifications and other stuff.

• CMaster says:

Yeah, there’s obviously something to be said for keeping it simple as, rather than feature-creeping the game to death.

Engineer placing sandbags could be an interesting one, and would do something about the lack of shoot-overable cover in the current map.

8. Redcoat-Mic says:

That title and the promise of a “oddity” made me jump to the conclusion of a First World War game.
    *Reads AK47*

You son of a…

9. Jinkeez says:

Neat! This kinda reminds me of Airborne Ranger a little bit. Very fun!

10. solaris999 says:

Ran into the Suburbs on my lonesome, fought my way to the grenade box before I unleashed a torrent of the small explosives upon the surprised masses that were soon thrown into disarray when their Sargent, Harry Hanks, fell prey to my torrent of fiery lead and shrapnel like countless others before him. At last, I received the joyous message “Your nation has gained control of Suburbs”. My invasion was complete.
    But my rank… my rank was still private :(
    All to the soundtrack of:

• Eagle0600 says:

I snuck past the enemy lines into the academy. They were all behind cover and looking the wrong way, so I found my way to the enemy grenades before they even knew I was there. They were all clustered together in these little groups and against walls. Easiest kills I’ve ever had.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Wait, there are grenade boxes? Oh.. are those the special crates, then?
      On another note: Looks really, really promising. Simple yet engaging gameplay. I would like an ammo counter, though. And maybe an explanations of what the colours and symbols mean.

11. Bilbo says:

Nice find, this looks like it’s got a ton of potential

12. Waste says:

Very fun, very interesting gameplay.
    Has a ton of potential.

13. mollemannen says:

strange. was just thinking of how i would like a tactical top down shooter :S

14. Conor says:

Read the description and my heart did a happy dance without seeing anything else. Downloading now!

Seeing a little soldier man say “OMG GRENADE” is just the best thing ever.

15. Fumarole says:

Are those popups in comic sans?

• somini says:

Should have been Helvetica… I mean, Arial. What’s the difference?

16. Warlokk says:

Setting yourself to a higher rank and gathering a horde of little green dudes before invading an enemy stronghold is really quite a lot of fun… sometimes the bastards put up a hell of a fight too, you can lose a half-dozen guys in an instant to a hail of grenades if you’re not careful.

Discovering you can refill your grenades at the ammo crates was a nice surprise.

All in all, a fun little distraction… a bit more contrast in the visuals, and a bit more clarity on where the objectives are and such, and it could be really cool.

17. kulik says:

Proper line of sight modeling would be good for this type of game, so you can actually flank or make ambushes and stuff.

18. Alehkhs says:

I can’t be the only one who wants a Starship Troopers mod, eh?

19. buzzmong says:

Like you say, Cannon Fodder, and with that, all together now!:

War! Never been so much fun!
    War! Never been so much fun!
    War! Never been so much fun!
    War! Never been so much fun!

Go to your brother,
    Kill him with your gun,
    Leave him lying in his uniform,
    Dying in the Sun.

War! Never been so much fun…..

20. OctaneHugo says:

Brilliant game, just spent an hour on it without realizing 10 minutes had passed. So much fun to get involved in a wickedly chaotic firefight between 30 people at the town to the north after having taken the east trench to the south in a hard fight, then leading my squad up north on the highway as it grew bigger. I shed a tear when my best soldiers were killed. Rest in peace Private Ford, you served me well.