Magicka’s Excellent PvP Spoof Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on June 22nd, 2011 at 2:00 pm.

Jokes are funny.
The Paradox/Arrowhead partnership continues to produce some of the best promotional material in gaming. The live action trailer for the new PvP expansion for Magicka is a delight, and you can watch it below.

This new PvP expansion is free, but there are also $.99 map packs, as Paradox explain. There’s “Vulcanus Arena, a sci-fi themed map that doubles as a PvP map and a challenge map,” and “the chilling Frozen Lake map as well as a “stop staring at me, you’re freaking me out” Watch Tower map.” All of which adds up to some solid cheap extras to our favourite comedy mage game. Carry on, Paradox/Arrowhead.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. thepaleking says:

Hahaha, what a great reference to Pulp Fiction.

harvb says:

Best Reservoir Dogs spoof ever. Maybe the only one.

• skurmedel says:

Yes, their film spoofage does not disappoint.

The Elias reference in the SP-campaign… how I laughed.

MajorManiac says:

Reservoir Dogs has been homaged more times than Madonnas flashed her pant’s……actually this might not necessarily be true.

This was very funny though.

3. RaytraceRat says:

I got a feeling they’re making a reference to Star Trek and their uniform colours… I think.

4. KauhuK says:

Oh Sweden I’m so jelly of you having all good things of gaming lately. It seems that game development here in Finland has slowed down quite a bit.

• skurmedel says:

Take solace that everybody and their dead grandmother is playing Angry Birds.

5. Teddy Leach says:

The new robe you get with this update is very stylish and splendid.

6. Snuffy the Evil says:

I love Magicka. So much.

7. Mr_Initials says:

$.99? I would buy them all if steam wasn’t saying there $1.99. Also they didn’t mention the other pack with the party robes

8. John Connor says:

Best reference to Kill Bill ever.

9. Tom OBedlam says:

Well played, Paradox/Arrowhead, very well played.

10. Dana says:

Inglorious Basterds is one of my favorite movies ! Robert Rodriguez is such a talented director !

11. DainIronfoot says:

Sausages!

• Daz says:

lol, yes!

They put them everywhere! Now they are parodying themselves? =)

• DainIronfoot says:

More continuing their little running gag I suspect.

12. GT3000 says:

Jim, it may be worth 1.99 a map or Steam royally screwed up.

• Gnoupi says:

Yup, it’s 1.99 a map, at least in euros/dollars.

(In before “too expensive!!!!” remarks, think of the pvp as an expansion pack like we used to have. If you buy all the new maps, you end up with around the price of a regular expansion pack. The only difference is that they cut it in parts, so you buy only what you want. Or you can even buy nothing at all, and still play pvp on these maps, if the host you join has the map. Nice way to not fragment the community)

shoptroll says:

Which is weird because the newsletter that was sent out says $0.99 unless something changed at the last minute.

Awesome trailer though. Not sure if I’ll grab any of the DLC packs right now, but I’m glad work on the game continues :)

• LionsPhil says:

I’m seeing £1.69 which is, frankly, pushing it for a map, a map, some clothes, and overall the addition of deathmatch, the most basic of multiplayer modes. Final Frontier (map AND clothes) is a penny shy of a full two quid.

For some sense of scale, by the time all those are totted up, I could buy Terraria and have change left over.

13. aircool says:

Awesome… Footage does sort of represent actual gameplay. I want to see this ad on TV :-))))

14. Gnoupi says:

The PvP expansion in itself is a delight as well, quite fun to play, from what I experimented.
    And they rebalanced shields, protections, beams, projectiles, so it’s much more about casting the right thing at the right time.

Example, the “death ray” (steam/lightning/arcane) is now really easy to counter:

– If you have a lightning protection, it will almost not hurt you
    – You can then cast a regular shield in front of you, which will bounce back the ray.
    – They changed what happens when the ray hits a shield “facing”: before, it was exploding on the shield, and now it explodes back on the caster, so your shield will usually kill him with his own ray.

15. MCM says:

(QR)EASA also explodes in a wider radius now – very hard to use without hurting yourself a lot.

16. LionsPhil says:

This video is an accurate depiction of a game of Magicka.

But please guys. I already like the thing you made and gave you my money. Spend a little more time on the netcode.

(And I’m not sure how well Versus would actually work? One of the great things about co-op is that even though skill with typing and placing the right spell fast can make one player inordinately more powerful than others, it doesn’t really make it any less fun. In Versus that’d be like any other deathmatch game: a spawn, die, spawn, die loop, no?)

• Gnoupi says:

No, because they balanced the shields and protections. One guy could spam some attack at you, there are ways to not feel it at all, and even send it back to him (beams, mostly).

Also, in most maps you spawn quite far, so I haven’t noticed a lot of spawnkill.

PvP remains brutal, though. People who are not at ease with Magicka spellcasting to begin with should avoid it, or they face frustration. Not much time to wonder what to do, and how. You need to react fast and know what you are casting, or you will most likely die in a loop, yes

17. Tei says:

Is interesting how much magicka looks like Loom. Probably other people has point it before.

• DainIronfoot says:

Whenever you look in a mirror in the game, your character will remark “Hey, it’s the guy from loom!”

18. Tams80 says:

By virtue of loving Magicka and having, rather shamefully, only recently seen Reservoir Dogs for the first time (after meaning to for several years), this trailer bloody fantastic!

19. The Pink Ninja says:

Yeah but have they fixed the game’s bugs yet?

• Vinraith says:

Ages ago. A friend and I played through in co-op back in April and didn’t hit a single snag.

• The Pink Ninja says:

I played it more recently than that and it was still crash-lag happy

20. Bob says:

Definitely Reservoir Dogs, and hilarious. That kind of advertising/promo there should be more of I say.

21. Davee says:

Oh man, this was great ^^

A game commercial I would love to see on the telly (in difference to many others where I tend to feel ashamed when they get shown).

22. Fumarole says:

Absolutely brilliant.

23. Darko Drako says:

Hilarious!

24. mogofogo says:

For anyone who still doesn’t have Magicka, GreenManGaming has it at 65% off, I believe you can use the Key to activate it on Steam. Cheers.

• Vinraith says:

Gamersgate has it for $5, and yes the code from anywhere must be registered on Steam to play, as (at present, anyway) it’s unfortunately a Steamworks title.

• mogofogo says:

@Vinraith I would’ve killed for you to start your reply with a ” GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE.”
      I got mine during a steam sale, but i think after the discount, its $3.48 on GreenManGaming.

amishmonster says:

If that ISN’T Steve Buscemi, I applaud the imitator.

Lim-Dul says:

They missed the opportunity to make an epic self-referential joke. The “OMG! They killed Yellow!” achievement used to be bugged and you got it when dying with purple robes instead of yellow ones – they should have referred to yellow as purple in the trailer. =)