New Vegas: Patch And Old World Blues Dated

By Jim Rossignol on June 22nd, 2011 at 3:45 pm.

The next bit of Fallout: New Vegas DLC, which will be called Old World Blues, will be available on July 19th. That’s the first image of it up there. What we know at present is that the plot is based on your being a “lab rat” in one of the experiments that produced many of the mutants that inhabit the game, and you will be able to either fight your kidnappers, or join with them to take on a “larger threat”. It will also raise the level cap and give you some other options, such as talking to robot appliances.

Bethesda have also sent word that a significant update for the game will appear before this DLC, providing “improvements to performance and stability in major areas”.

Major areas. I don’t know that that means, but it sounded significant enough for me to want to emphasize it in a military briefing sort of way.

, .

1. Ralphomon says:

Hopefully this will give me the energy to finish Dead Money. That DLC took almost everything I enjoyed about New Vegas and threw it out.

• Bureaucrat says:

I quite liked Dead Money. The companions were all great fun and I dug the backstory, especially in how well paced its reveal was and in how well it tied in to core Fallout themes of sunny optimism and gee-whiz tech, smacked in the face with the grim reality of human betrayal (but with some actual notes of redemption at the end). It was as good a “Fallout Short Story” as anything I’ve seen outside of the main FO1 plot and FNV’s Vault 11. The gameplay had its flaws (horror elements generally just get me stressed and annoyed), but I enjoyed the ample opportunities for the player to feel clever (I loved using rooflines to get around things, picking the right companions for the different situations, and finding and taking out the hologram generators).

Honest Hearts was a bigger disappointment to me. Some neat environments, but once it’s explored, the expansion lacks a compelling narrative. Once you chat with Graham and Daniel, and once you find the bulk of the Survivalist journals, the plot relies on either empathy for the NPCs or the largely gamist drive to finish and get back to the Mojave to keep the player interested. It doesn’t have the “What’s really going on here?” impetus that Dead Money and the other good Fallout sidequests had. Absent that, the steps along the way feel somewhat mechanistic– I’m chasing down quest markers rather than working to puzzle out a problem.

• Heliosicle says:

I liked how Dead Money tied into the larger story, Honest Hearts made me stop playing after a couple of hours because you have to run across the entire map every time you get a new quest…

• Nick says:

Whu.. I.. buh? I thought Dead Money was excellent, really focused on characterisation and story. Honset Hearts hasn’t gripped me much thus far though.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

There were two things wrong with Dead Money. First, almost every bit of the entire area looked the same as every other bit. I got sooo tired of terracotta roof tiles and plaster archways.

The other thing wrong was that

SPOILER

I couldn’t escape with all those lovely, lovely, gold bars. *sad*

• Burning Man says:

I remember reading an interview with Chris Avellone where he said that he knew there were people out there who didn’t like Dead Money, but appreciated what it was doing. I’m one of those guys. I don’t like being scared. I don’t like feeling powerless all the time and frantically hunting through trash cans to find something, anything that I could use. But if I did, you can be damn sure that Dead Money would be one of my favourite DLCs ever. Sure, the last crazy running sequence was awful, but otherwise, it was one of the most atmospheric and compelling DLCs I’ve ever played.

2. Mr_Initials says:

I assume it involves guns that go bang.

3. KauhuK says:

Maybe I should start yet another character but this time I should complete the main quest.

• TheSquarePear says:

AFAIK you can’t play anymore after you finish it. I haven’t even explored 2/3 of the map 58 hours in and I’m avoiding Lucky 38 until I’ve at least gotten my power armor.

• Nick says:

You will get a big quest popup warning when you can’t go back in the story, so don’t worry about avoiding the lucky 38.

• battles_atlas says:

Don’t do it squarepear: I covered almost all the map before I rocked up on the Strip, and several quests have been screwed as a result – asking me to do things that don’t make any sense given what has already happened, or quests that are simply unfinishable.

4. TheSquarePear says:

Instabuy if I can talk to Deep Blue

5. magnus says:

Hmmm, do I start it up again now or wait until all the DLC’s are out?

6. jon_hill987 says:

Wait. People actually bought this rather than waiting for the GotY edition? Did they not spot it said “Bethesda” on the box?

• westyfield says:

Mmm, that’s what I’m waiting for.

• SMiD says:

Yep. Fool me once with Fallout 3

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Remember Bloodmoon and Tribunal? Good times. Worth buying.

I’m not even a big Morrowind fan, but those were proper expansions. Full meals for $20 instead of light snacks for $10.

I dunno. Maybe the economics of DLC are working out great for them and we’re all idiots, but it seems to guarantee that anyone with a bit of patience will now just sit on their hands and wait for the inevitable GOTY version.

• HunterZ says:

Got Fallout 3 as an xmas present a couple years ago, so I waited for sales on the DLC and finally finished it all a couple weeks ago. I’m definitely waiting for a GOTY of FNV and several other games before picking them up, though, because it’s ridiculous that by waiting a year you can get the game and all DLC for less than the original launch price of just the game itself.

• Ringwraith says:

I bought the retail copy already (for cheap as it was only being a month old at the time) and now staying clear of the DLC until the Goatee edition as that’ll undoubtedly be cheaper than buying the DLC individually and also includes a(nother) game!

• Hidden_7 says:

You can use that argument with pretty much any game, though. If you wait, it will eventually be cheaper. Sometimes quite cheap. Personally I’ve found the DLCs for New Vegas to be worth the brand new asking price of $10. I thought the Fallout 3 ones weren’t. It’s a sliding scale.

• Sivart13 says:

God forbid anyone pay anything but the lowest possible price for a game.

Deus Ex 3 is coming out, you say? Call me in 2016 when it’s $1.50, I don’t want to get ripped off.

• jon_hill987 says:

It’s not about price. It’s the fact that you don’t get the whole thing.

• Everyone says:

Yeah, it is about price. Many people are on budgets and want to get good value for their gaming money and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Personally I find paying £7.50 for the volume of content added in the current batch of FO:NV DLCs not worth it, so I won’t buy it. I bought the game at release and it was good value in my eyes, but the DLC, not. It’ll be on sale at some point and I’ll get it all then.

• kickme22 says:

Lol I didn’t know about bethesdas record before I bought nv but so far I have enjoyed it and it helps I picked up the pc version new at gamestop for $20. :-D

7. DJJoeJoe says:

So is Obsidian completely moved off this game and Bethesda now supporting and releasing for it? or is that just me hoping and the story choosing not to mention Obsidian, the developer.

• SirKicksalot says:

Based on that dialogue snippet up there, I’d say it’s Obsidian.

• Bureaucrat says:

Yes, it’s Obsidian. Old World Blues is primarily a Chris Avellone project.

• Nick says:

and that alone should be reason enough to buy it.

8. Tei says:

Everything is right on this screenshot. This DLC is on my map. I am a big fan of New Vegas.

9. martpendle says:

quick question guys, im currently on my first playthrough, i waited this long hoping that the ability to play after the main story would be patched in, has this happened yet? ‘cos ill be pi**ed off if i have to start a new game to play the DLC i have loyally bought! cheers!

• Morph says:

You can’t play on after you’ve reached one of the endings… but why not just do the DLCs during your current playthrough?

• Monkey says:

Go to New Vegas Nexus, there are plenty of mods which allow you to play after the main quest.

In fact just go to New Vegas Nexus as some of the mods there are awesome. You want weather effects with rain, sandstorms, fog, moving clouds etc, nexus has you covered (look for mod called Nevada Skies). I couldnt play the vanilla game now.

Word of warning though when Bethesda patch the game some mods can broken until theyre updated (which is usually within a few hours)

• Zenicetus says:

The DLC’s are just big side quests that you can do at any time, although I’d recommend getting near the end of the main campaign since the difficulty (at least in Dead Money) seems balanced for a fairly high level player character. Just hold off on the obvious, big decision point between factions which triggers the ending. If you do want to go ahead and play through the ending, make sure you keep a savegame before that point as a launching pad for the DLC’s. That’s what I did.

You could use the mod mentioned above that allows play after the ending sequence, but since there’s a big patch coming up, I would personally avoid that approach. Big patches can sometimes break mods like that.

• martpendle says:

thanks guys, i will check out the mods and i will do the dlc now, i just assumed it would be hard on a low level with bad weapons

10. Morph says:

Replaying NV now, and loving it all over again… but the DLCs have been terrible. My biggest issue is that they take you away from the setting to mess about elsewhere. How about more stuff to do in Vegas itself? Doesn’t look like this will improve matters, but I’ll stay optimistic.

• Ralphomon says:

Urgh me too! Dead Money dumps you in goddamn Silent Hill with no opportunity for me to use my ‘talk my way out’ or ‘shoot my way out’ skills, almost no one to talk to, no one worth talking to and the added bonus of poison gas clouds that kill you very fast and radios that also kill you very fast. I fell in love with the Mojave Wasteland. I want to go back. Even cazadores and giant radscorpions are more fun than this mess.

• Zenicetus says:

Well, it follows the format of Fallout 3, where four of the five DLC’s were self-contained side quests away from the main D.C./Wasteland area. Only Broken Steel took place there, and it was a necessary conclusion for the main campaign. New Vegas has a much more satisfying end-game, so it doesn’t really need that. At any rate, it’s easier for a studio to do these as self-contained modules, than re-write and add content to the main campaign.

I do hope the remaining DLC’s allow more seamless continuity for my main character. I didn’t enjoy Dead Money that much, mainly because I couldn’t use my skills and accumulated gear. It didn’t feel like I was playing the same character as the main campaign, just some nameless schmo in a bad situation.

• Bureaucrat says:

The core reason behind the FNV DLCs being separate entities not meshed together with the main game is Bethesda’s commitment to celebrity VO. You get the big names when you release the game, but it’s impractical to get those people back in the studio to do new/different VO to accomodate the changes in a $10 add-on product. Thus, DLC takes you away from established locations and characters, and doesn’t let you bring your companions with you.

11. phobic says:

I’m more excited about the patch. Need more info!

12. Museli says:

I used to be so smug about New Vegas. “Bugs? Nothing major,” I would say. “The game runs fine on my machine.” Then Honest Hearts came out, and inexplicably broke Dead Money for me, resulting in a CTD after about two minutes in the Sierra Madre, without fail. That’ll learn me. As things stand, I’m more interested in the fixing patch than the next DLC. A sign of the times, or just a sign of Bethesda and/or Obsidian?

• Bureaucrat says:

I concur in that Honest Hearts changed my CTD occurence rate from “once every week or two” (which was actually better than either FO3 or Oblivion was) to “twice an hour.”

13. Hunam says:

I liked New Vegas but I really can’t justify spending more money on it when it’s still held together by sticky tape. Patching as been very slow and ineffectual on this. The best stuff was just the hacks and what not the community came up with.

14. Christian O. says:

Is the patch that I can actually play the game now, since Honest Hearts broke everything, not just my save point?

15. superemmjay says:

Major areas! *salute*

16. Sidorovich says:

Swore I’d never buy another Obsidian game after the utter mess that was New Vegas. Damn thing used to blue-screen my PC regularly. Yet I can run stuff like Witcher 2 without a hitch. Their reputation as a dev that doesn’t give a toss about bug testing is FULLY deserved.

17. Vinraith says:

Glad to see a patch coming, I had to abandon my first game in part because of instabilities (whether due to the base game, the DLC’s, or Project Nevada I’m honestly not sure). It wasn’t the game I was expecting (unlike many I really enjoyed FO3, and NV is a surprisingly long way from it), but it’s a darn good one and considerably closer to being a proper Fallout game to boot. I’m sure I’ll pick up the DLC too, I’m a complete sucker for Bethesda-style RPG’s.

18. Alistair says:

Currently loving the base game which cost me $11. Enjoy your GOTY editions.

19. TheGroovyMule says:

I can’t be the first person to notice the character is talking to a Doctor Klein(er)…