‘Blops “Annihilation” Multiplayer DLC Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on June 23rd, 2011 at 9:37 am.

See how they get shot, there. Clever stuff.
Call Of Duty: Black Ops is getting some kind of multiplayer expansion thing! I know, I can hardly believe it either, but it’s true. The trailer (below) shows off some elements of what to expect, and also a live action bit with some moustachioed dude in a diner. Why is that? I do not know. It makes little sense. But there are zombies, too. The zombies are from a fourth map, Shangri-La, which provides a supernatural alternative to the three standard multiplayer maps.

This expansion apparently turns up on the X-machine on the 28th and will then appear on our machine sometime thereafter. So that’s the mainstream Action News for the day. Let’s see if we can find an indie RTS to talk about. Aha, here comes one now!

, .

1. Dana says:

Meantime, at Valve: Collage of FREE new maps and dozens of FREE new weapons.jpg

• DSR says:

Weird…
      In my twisted parallel universe Valve releases lots of community made content as their own and asks people to pay real money for ingame items…

• Dana says:

Have activision at least released the map/mod editor for Call of Duty, in your universe ?

• soldant says:

@DSR: True, but most of what you can buy you can get for free if you id-.. uh, play the game.

• DSR says:

@ Dana
      Yes, they did. Most recent are COD4:MW and COD:BLOPS.

@ soldant
      How do I unlock “most” of items from Portal 2 store? Or at least half of them? Even with almost all achievements earned.

Damn sorry, I must be looking like a troll. Just sick of when people praise new “valve” like the old one(Pre Doug Lombardi).

Good rep is as hard to lose as the bad one. *cough* EA is evil mastermind *cough*

• Dana says:

Sorry, but I cant think of a single reason to not to praise Valve.

Man Raised by Puffins says:

Community created maps are generally indicated as such in the updates, the items, which are pretty much all community created now, not so much. But the item creators do get rather hefty compensation (running into the thousands of dollars iirc) in the form of a cut of the sales from the item store (about the only positive to draw from the store, aside from the map donation stamps, but nevermind).

• empty_other says:

The more free stuff Valve releases, the more people use Steam. More people using Steam equals more people buying Steam games equals more money to Valve…
      Nothing is free anymore.

• Dana says:

@empty_other Thats just cherry picking.

Durkonkell says:

When it was announced that Valve were to release things for free rather than for money, there was such consternation that the orderlies had to break out the sedatives again. A profit making company releasing stuff for free?! Impossible!

Thankfully, ultra-psychologist triple-doctor Sir empty-other was there to help. It turns out that by releasing free stuff valve are trying to stealthily make MORE MONEY! The fiends!

(seriously though… Why would a profit making company release something for free unless they thought it would eventually lead – if indirectly – to more profit? I don’t have a problem with this. Actually I much prefer free updates that encourage more people to pick up the game and join in than cynical $10 map packs that fragment the community)

2. Qark says:

I’m looking forward to this indie RTS news.

3. Salt says:

Call of Duty: World At War (developed by Treyarch who also made BLOPS) gave away all of its map packs and zombie maps for free on the PC, just releasing them a couple of months after their console versions.

Which was nice.

At least these maps look like they have some actual new art assets in there unlike a certain be-nanosuited hopeful.

• studenteternal says:

It is unfortunate then that Call of Duty:World at War, was a pretty ‘meh’ game.

4. Eraysor says:

I’m only interested in this at all because of the Megadeth reference.

5. Jody Macgregor says:

Did I see a shrink ray at 1.03? More games should have a shrink ray.

6. Tams80 says:

I like the mustard and tomato ketchup effects… O wait, that’s real.

7. ghiest says:

Meanwhile Treyarch release the mod tools for Blackops …. but not mapping tools, BUY OUR MAPS OR NOTHING is what I’m getting from this. So much for the Treyarch speil of “we support our communities”, yer with hamstrung titles and half truths. GG.

8. YourMessageHere says:

I fully realise that all you RPS types hate COD:BO, but could you at least make an effort? Five new maps, one of which is a zombies map and the rest standard MP, not four. The headline picture is of a map from the last DLC pack.

Doubt I will bother with this pack. I got the last two packs, and they’re good maps, they just don’t get played that much, not that many servers have them in their maplist. I begrudge paying for zombie bullshit, I don’t play those, but I can justify four maps if I get plenty of mileage from them (got both packs at a discount). On another video they claim that one is a small map in the style of Nuketown, the tiny one that all the ‘fast XP here !!!111′ servers tend to run. Of the three left, I’m not convinced any are going to be excellent maps.

9. yhalothar says:

DLC multiplayer content creates a dvide between the “haves” and “have-nots”, and a fragmented community is always detrimental to the multiplayer experience.

Joshua says:

That dude from the start is from the quite brilliant ‘there’s a soldier in all of us’ trailer. Just for… clarification.