Crytek: Crysis 2’s Direction “Backfired”

By Jim Rossignol on June 24th, 2011 at 7:00 pm.

Tessellation makes pretty stuff more pretty, it seems.
Speaking with Gamasutra, Crytek bossman Cervat Yerli had this to say about the Crysis games: “Crysis 1’s intention was, if I were to play it three years later, it looks great. And it does, actually, it fulfilled that. But it made it difficult for entry-level players. So with Crysis 2, we took a different direction, and it backfired a little bit.” Yerli explained that the forthcoming high-end 1.9 patch for Crysis 2, which will introduce clevers such as tessellation, realistic shadows with variable penumbra, parallax occlusion mapping, and “Sprite Based Bokeh Depth of Field”, is a “gift” to the PC high-end community. “It lifts up Crysis 2 and gives a sneak peak of how PC gaming will evolve in the future,” says Yerli, “If you support a high-end preference.” I totally support a high-end preference. That sounds like some kind of innuendo, right? Eh? Guys? Mm.

The high-end patch is out next Monday, June 27th.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

lhzr says:

“Crysis 1′s intention was, if I were to play it three years later, it looks great. And it does, actually, it fulfilled that. But it made it difficult for entry-level players.”

umm.. what ?

PeopleLikeFrank says:

“But can it run Crysis?”

• Demiath says:

@PeopleLikeFrank I think the real question has always been “Can it run Neverwinter Nights 2?”…

• darthmajor says:

Check crysis 1. Then check DNF. Then check release dates. Ok maybe DNF is a bad example, but while there are prettier games today (and C2 looks absolutely amazing), Crysis 1 is still a beautiful game.

Kudos to crytek for massaging the egos of high-end pc players. “Here is one of the prettiest games you have ever played. But, as your machines are really powerful, we went out of our way to make it look even better, for your pleasure!”

• kenoxite says:

@Demiath: So painfully real :D

• Wulf says:

@Demiath

With a very low-end laptop that’s three years old, I can run NWN2 and get 60FPS out of it. What are you doing wrong? o_O

• Demiath says:

@Wulf You make it sound like it’s just me but – as I’m sure you’re aware of – NWN2 is infamous for its shoddy performance and has been since launch day.

While the game was definitely playable both on my very own three-year old low-end laptop and on a Bootcamped iMac (Dual Core, 4 GB RAM and an admittedly shoddy GeForce 9400M), I couldn’t ever maintain 60 FPS on either machine, even on low settings. I’ve heard many similar complaints about the game from other people, and the most jarring aspect of NWN2’s performance in general is just how plain bad the 3D graphics are and always have been. A game that ugly simply doesn’t deserve to be so taxing on the hardware.

• dux says:

@darthmajor – I actually can’t think of a game out at the moment that looks better than Crysis 1. Certainly not with a few tweaks anyway, though even in its stock configuration it’s better than any modern game. That’s not to say Crysis 2 is a bad looking game, but Cryengine 2 is just a much more capable engine than Cryengine 3, especially when it comes to physics stuff.

• kerome says:

Cervat, Cervat, Cervat… The days when a few extra tessellated polygons mattered have gone some years ago. We appreciate the effort of course, but it’s not going to sell that extra million copies or keep the fans attached to the drip feed for another month. Sorry old bean, most PC players won’t even notice their egos have been massaged.

My advice: better project management, modular archticture to support meaningful and cheap DLC, then add the hopefully-significant new content as it comes online to beef up the package.

For the record, NWN2 was just shoddy coding. They had no excuse to miss the 25 fps performance bar.

2. Rirse says:

No Steam, no Sale

• danly says:

Agreed.

I’m not a Steam fanboy; I’ll take it if it’s on Desura or Impulse, but fuck Origin. EA has burned me enough in the past that I have no desire whatsoever to risk getting tied into their content distribution platform.

• eldwl says:

This.

• cyb.tachyon says:

Same. I went to buy it the day it got taken off of Steam. Their loss of a sale. Hopefully EA will fix whatever problem (exclusive DLC or whatever) that caused it to be removed.

• Zenicetus says:

Same here.

I had Crysis 2 in my “buy it at some point after I wade through my current games” list, but not if it isn’t on Steam. There are only so many places I want to spread around my CC info, and Crysis 2 just isn’t THAT compelling a game, for me to set up a separate account (like I did with 777 for Rise of Flight). They’re going to miss a bunch of casual-purchase sales from people like me.

• rareh says:

lots of valve sheep

• Grape Flavor says:

You guys know you can get it on *gasp* DVD with free delivery for $39.95 USD / £14.99 on Amazon, right?

• eldwl says:

You’re right, I can get it on Amazon for £15, and if I could get it on Steam for that price I’d buy it in a heartbeat, I suspect (two beers can convince me to buy most games for that much. I’m a marketer’s dream, I suspect). Problem is, I’m too lazy to do that, and I don’t browse the Amazon website most days. Steam launches when I start my PC, and I usually check the front page for any interesting bargains.

The problem is that I have overflowing shelves that are starting to annoy SWIMBO, and if I order it off Amazon, then I have to go to the sorting depot to pick it up because I work for a living and I’m never in when people try to deliver things. Which costs more money in petrol, and means queueing with sweaty horrible people in their slippers (can you tell I don’t enjoy doing this?)

I’m lazy. Sue me. I use one DD service that (touch wood) has so far done a decent job of looking after my details and (until recently) sells pretty much any game I might want to buy. If they had it cheap, I’d be downloading it in seconds after two clicks. After an 11 hour day at work, I don’t want to go queue.

• somini says:

This. I don’t like boxes, unless it’s a special edition. I only buy special editions of extraordinary games, not just very good…

• valve_sheep says:

@rareh

Nope, just one. Anyways, I believe the derogatory term you’re looking for is “shteample”.

Cheers!

• Zenicetus says:

“I don’t want several different DD services clogging up my system either but why not just get a boxed copy?”

I’ll do that for a game I really care about. Crysis 2 just isn’t that important to me. It’s something I’d buy from Steam on a weekend sale, or even at full price if I’m bored. It’s just not in my “A list” of games, so I’m not going to jump through any extra hoops to pick it up.

The market is flooded with quality titles right now, with more on the immediate horizon. If a game company wants to pick up extra income from “casual,” spur-of-the-moment sales, they have to meet the customer more than halfway.

Carra says:

I’d most probably have bought it during a steam stale.

No matter how you turn it, Crytek is loosing a whole bunch of potential customers. A shame really that the developers are punished by the publishers. Evil EA.

• Commisar says:

oh my god, can we stop the EA hate, Valve, not EA took Crysis 2 off of Steam, also, origin does not suck as bad as some Steam FANBOIs would have you believe, plus its customer support is much faster. I wouldn’t mind buying it off of origin and linking it to Steam

• Commisar says:

@ rareh SO true

3. CaspianRoach says:

Since my PC is basically from the previous era, can we expect some sort of a before/after video? I just like looking at pretty games.

• Aemony says:

Though remember that this is only between Dx9 and Dx11, the screenshots doesn’t include the high resolution texture pack released at the same time.

• CaspianRoach says:

That’s pretty sweet, although if i was playing this game I probably wouldn’t have noticed that. I wonder if tesselation actually changes objects’ hit boxes though, it seems to have quite an impact on textured surfaces.

Diziet Sma says:

That last one and the ssao were the biggest differences to me… (goes and googles POM)

• Calneon says:

It doesn’t change hitboxes.

• Bhazor says:

Good god that Neogaf thread has some of the worst PC elitists I have ever seen. Some seem to be genuinely offended by the inclusion of tessellation.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

I thought NeoGAF was supposed to be some exclusive little club for cool kids, a safe place where game developers would also be welcome. From what I’ve seen lately, it seems below Reddit-level in quality. What the hell happened?

• Wulf says:

@TillEulenspiegel

You’re talking about the ideals of the creators versus what happened after launch. It pretty much went that way within weeks of launch and has remained that way since. In my opinion though it’s no different than anywhere else on the Internet. People are people.

4. Aemony says:

It’s fun to see them realize and actually comment on the state of Crysis 2. And hopefully the PC high-end elitists can stop their whining now when CryTek are going out of their way to add these multitude graphical enhancements as well as the higher texture resolution pack. CryTek didn’t have, after all, a reason to ‘fix’ the game after it’s release. Kudos to CryTek for proving that they once again care about the state of the PC gaming world.

And a big **** *** to the stupid “elitists” whom have whined and whined about the state of the game and now responds with a “it doesn’t look different enough” comment about the difference between Dx9 and Dx11. If you can’t see the difference nor understand the massive performance hit the features introduce you are better of using your “awesome” computer to play Tetris or Tennis For Two.

• Bhazor says:

Crysis 1
      Criticised for being too high end for computers of the time.

Crysis 2
      Criticised for not requiring a high end computer.

• Wulf says:

I feel peculiarly proud that I don’t belong to either group.

LarsBR says:

Maybe I’ll go back and actually finish the campaign then.

6. Demiath says:

Apart from the unnecessary lack of graphical settings, I think the PC gaming community as a whole is in a very sad state indeed if we pretend that Crysis 2 is not an impressive-looking game. But, by all means, bring the DX up to 11; I’m sure it will make my GTX 580 feel just like the old 9400M I recently upgraded from…

• Jim Rossignol says:

Yeah, bits of it looked amazing. And overall it’s one of the best-looking games of all time.

• LazyGit says:

Bits of it looked amazing but almost all of Crysis still looks amazing. There were so many times in C2 that the console quality visuals took me out of the game. I’m kind of disappointed now that I finished the game because I’m not particularly interested in going back to play it again even with the improved visuals.

• Bilbo says:

It’s a marriage of the anorak, enthusiast nature of super-optimised gaming rigs and the allure and status of the price tag. It affects everyone differently, but Crytek in particular are *clearly* firmly in the anorak camp. The happy upside is that we love them for it, and the (in?)famously demanding nature of Crysis must have sold a few copies on that basis alone. So when trying to judge gamer attitudes using a Crytek-centric post, on a Crytek game, I think the dipstick may be slightly wonky – I’d take it which a pinch of salt. But then I like to mix my metaphors.

• Starky says:

Indeed, Crysis 2 was a very pretty looking game – and ran very well on my mid spec machine (3Ghz Q6600, a 5770 and 4GB of ram).

The snobbery and stupidity from a large section of the community (less so here and other PC online communities) makes me not want to ever associate myself as a “PC gamer”.
      I know it is the nature of the internet and the vocal minority, but it seems no matter what direction on PC Dev goes all people do is endlessly fucking whine about it.

Make a game for high spec gamers, people complain it is too high spec and not optimized enough – make a game that runs on mid-range machines and still equals any other game on the market at high settings and people still bloody complain.
      Offer those complainers free shinies and they complain at how long it took, and about the company selling out to consoles and all that other shit you see.

Hell I know I’m complaining about complaining and that is almost as bad, but Muhammed-Buddha-Jesus-SCIENCE!… the combined elitism, sense of entitlement, hostility and unappeasable nature of the PC community would turn me away if I was a developer.
      Especially when you add in that for AAA games the PC market is maybe only 15% of the market, and by far the most work required/needy.

I know PC gamers have always been a bit elitist, but it was always a nerdy jovial elitism, not the hostile horrid elitism it’s become.

Perhaps because back in the day only nerds were high end PC gamers, and PC was a dominant platform (at least for “serious” gamers – the console market was always bigger) compared to the first several generations of console.

The whole situation reeks of jealousy over not been the favoured child/audience any more.

• Wulf says:

I’m still not particularly into either. I always got the feeling with the Crysis games that the artists were stifled a bit somehow by wanting to show off amazing technology, so it’s a technological showcase, but it somehow still feels oddly… sterile.

I’m expecting big things from Rage though after Carmack’s little ramble and some of the more recent reveals about it.

• Gonefornow says:

Well, all I have to say is this:

Crysis 1 runs on my laptop.
      Why? Because the graphics can be scaled down extensively. (And I still think it looks great.)

Crysis 2, I tried the demo, doesn’t run on my laptop.
      Why? Gamer, Advanced, and Hardcore.

• DOLBYdigital says:

@ Starky

Well said, I’ve grown sad of all the rage from both console and PC gamers to be honest.

I really liked your one line (below) since I consider myself a ‘real’ gamer who enjoys any FUN game regardless of platform. We sensible gamers must rise above and try to …… ahhh what am I sayin… oh well back to playing games instead of commenting on the internet :)

“Hell I remember it was a point of pride amongst PC/hardcore gaming communities to have a high end PC AND every console going possible…”

• Bilbo says:

Can’t lie boys, mildly irritated because my point has obviously been *completely* ignored. Did I not make it clear, or was I full of crap, or what? The PC Gaming hobby is multifaceted and means different things to different people. To borrow from Lester Bangs, it’s about what gets you hard – and for some people, that just happens to be more to do with hardware considerations than with “pure” gameplay design (and without wanting to be cruel, if you think you’re some kind of elitist who gets more from pure game design than from shinies and kasplosions you are pretentious). Live and let live, eh? That’s the best course

• Bilbo says:

I don’t think Lester Bangs ever made that comparison, actually, but somebody did – somebody in the 70s rock-bob harris- philip seymour hoffman camp – and as such i feel *entirely* vindicated in that comparison. Also I’m pretty drunk.

7. danly says:

I see they’re ignoring that the complaints weren’t just that the graphics were shoddy, console-quality; but that the entire design was geared for gamepads.

• Bodminzer says:

The entire game? Really? “Press Start to begin” offended you so much, ringing in yours ears like the aftermath of an explosion, that you flew into an aspie rage for the entire game, and had it superimposed over your vision like a blinding light?

• Bilbo says:

He didn’t say that.

• Starky says:

Except he kind of did, because that is the only part of that entire game which is in any way geared towards a Gamepad.

Hell my one and only complaint (and I’m a guy who’s fairly exacting about my bind/control setup in FPS games) about the controls would be how they implemented the slide (I thought it was a bit awkward on crouch), and would have preferred it having it’s own bind.

• Urthman says:

He’s referring to the lack of vertical gameplay, not the stupid start screen.

• DrGonzo says:

I felt Crysis 2 had more vertical gameplay actually, less horizontal. Wow, this is a rediculous conversation.

• dskzero says:

Let’s be honest here, Crysis 2 doesn’t has half the freedom the original had. I liked the game, but it reeks of console FPS.

8. edit says:

Funny that they are releasing something that could conceivably make me interested enough to buy the game on steam, right after taking that option away from everyone.

9. Moni says:

I’m a bit worried that this means that PC gamers are going to be pigeon-holed as mentals who just like pretty graphics.

• Salt says:

The PC platform is already pigeon holed by many in the industry [citation needed] into being about Facebook, The Sims, WoW, TF2, and free to play games that are oddly similar to WoW and TF2.

Mixing in some “x-treme graphix” love might help dilute that particular pigeon smoothie. Ah, mixed metaphors.

• Sigh says:

I ignored your comment because it lacked bloom, bokeh, and tesselation.

• Wulf says:

That’s annoying, since I’m a crazy person who likes good art direction, which is something that far too many games are sorely lacking and end up looking like a gussied up lifeless husk. There are games which exemplify art direction though, make it a holy thing, and give their artists free reign. It is those games that make me very happy.

(I must add to this conversation, due to how it amuses me, that TF2 has fantastic art direction. So I suppose I’m part of the problem.)

Vandelay says:

The problems with Crysis 2 really weren’t the graphics. It looked stunning and ran fantastically well.

The problem was the narrowed levels, very little vertical play (I was expecting to be leaping between skyscrapers, when there was actually about two bits on rooftops,) lack of suit controls, poor lobby system for multiplayer and (controversial, maybe) all enemies suddenly being on foot.

I think most sane people weren’t really upset by the graphics of the game (unless we are talking about the options.)

Still, I thought it was a fun game. Nowhere near as good as the original, but certainly worth playing. I even liked the very CoD style multiplayer, which I know most people hated. Reading this headline though, I was hoping they would be talking a little bit more about the gameplay.

• woodsey says:

Agreed with the rooftop bit. Why is there a sewer level when there are skyscraper’s I can be leaping across and down from? Most of Mirror’s Edge after the first couple of levels had the same problem I thought.

• gganate says:

I enjoyed Crysis 2, but honestly the original game feels like the sequel.

11. woodsey says:

Well it would seem like a bit of an obvious step to make sure your new game can outdo the last one you made and future-proofed the shit out of.

But really, that wasn’t the game’s issue. Its issue was the neutered suit, retarded weapon customisation options for guns (I can attach a silencer to this gun, but not to this one that’s the exact same model but has “assault” and not “stealth” arbitrarily added to its name…? Err, alright then.) , CONSTANT interruption (“press F to look” – no, f*ck off) and control-robbing, and smaller, more artificial feeling levels. It doesn’t feel like a pseudo-sandbox when the level is set out in such a way that the game just forces you down 1 of 3 routes and points them all out to you.

• Thants says:

Neutered suit? If anything, the suit in the first game felt neutered.

12. Urthman says:

Wow. When I saw the headline I thought sure this was going to be a mea culpa about the game design, not a “sorry we didn’t put in enough bling for high-end graphics cards.”

What a shame.

RobF says:

Yeah, thing is that’s got nothing to do with aiming it at consoles either and everything to do with trying to be Roland Emmerich:The Videogame. Which is the really depressing part of Crysis 2. It’s pretty much all spectacle.

• Thants says:

What people praised about the first game was that it felt like an action movie. I don’t know why you’d complain about it now.

13. Turin Turambar says:

Please! Pure PR talk. This content of HD textures/DX 11 was planned from the beginning, they are releasing it now instead of on the release date because they hadn’t enough time to put it. Why? Because they were doing three versions instead of one, and the other two versions had more priority.
    In other words, typical pc vs consoles development.

• povu says:

Exactly, they’re only saying it to spread the word about that patch they’ve been planning all long.

14. Farkeman says:

” is a “gift” to the PC high-end community ”
    aw lol , gift you say ? what a weird claim , and me silly used to think that things like this should be already in the game on release date.

• Ricc says:

So if a game doesn’t utilize the power of the next decade’s supercomputers, don’t even ship it?

It already looks amazing. Going beyond that is a bonus, or “gift”.

• Pointless Puppies says:

Crysis 1 looks better in several places, and it was released several years before Crysis 2.

The fact that you think asking for better-quality graphics from Crysis 2 means only “supercomputers” from the “next decade” will be able to handle them is hilariously naive.

15. Flint says:

Here I was thinking they’d comment on the gameplay or something, instead of graphical twiddling.

16. Bhazor says:

To me graphics jargon might as well be an elder god prayer
    Bokeh ia Cthulhu ia Dagon
    Phatagn thong shaded
    Cthulhu sleeps in the city of Occlusion

• PatrickSwayze says:

Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn!

dahauns says:

“Thong shaded”.
      Hm. I think they used that in DNF.

17. mkultra says:

Backfired? Really, guy?

Why shouldn’t we be pissed at the ongoing trend of consolizing franchises made popular by the PC platform and the community attached?

• Tuor says:

No, we shouldn’t be pissed since apparently all we care about are pretty graphics, and this “gift” is supposed to address that. Instead we should be ever-so-grateful at his magnanimity. I, for one, am so grateful that I’d like to help him stick his “gift” in a special place.

Mo says:

Charge for new content = people complain
    Give new content away for free = people complain

Brave admission of guilt by Crytek. It would have been cheaper and easier if they did nothing at all. Instead, they risked the public backlash to do The Right Thing = people complain :(

19. Kablooie says:

I didn’t shun Crysis2 because of the graphics. I didn’t buy it because it took away the fun sandbox with linear play, and it focused on multiplayer at the expense of a great singleplayer game.

It wasn’t an improvement on Crysis1, it was a new direction. A direction that lost them my gaming dollar.

20. Robin says:

With Crysis 2 Crytek trashed Crysis 1 identity, preferring to sacrifice their fanbase to bet on the console call of duty-lovers mass.

They trashed the gameplay identity, (multiplayer too), blatantly regretting from the semi-open level structure and physically tangible environment, to the linear&cinematic formula.
    They trashed their technological identity. Yes, Crysis 2 looks still over the top and its evolved engine features are far improved from Crysis 1, but the game isn’t as technologically ambitious as the first was, as this is because of the constraints of the obsolete consoles low memory pool.

And its hilarious (or just sad) because this sequel visibly cost a lot money more than Crysis 1.

Lesson learned? Sadly I fear not.

• Robin says:

regretting from –> regressing from

• Rii says:

Yep, after whining about how Crysis was pirated and should’ve sold a million times more copies than it did, this is Crytek coming crawling back to PC having realised that the console market isn’t the land of milk and honey after all and that they’ve alienated a large proportion of their existing audience in pursuing it. Course the problem is there’s only so much you can do to fix things post-release…

• Commissar says:

“All of this for what? Fail, the bet failed: crysis 2 on consoles combined, sold less than half the copies the first one sold on pc alone (not counting warhead expansion).”

Oh shit really? Hahahaha

21. smashed_atoms says:

Quick comment on the “gift to the community” line.
    This seems to assume that there is no profit to be gained from releasing this patch. Considering the longevity of games through new platforms and mediums to release software, that seems like an obvious lie (I can find no other word in my lexicon to replace this – consider the source and his experience in the industry).
    We live in an age of iPhone apps and Steam downloads, many highlighting HD remakes/remixes/re-imagining (Bionic Commando: Rearmed). Things are being re-released constantly. I don’t think you could charge PC users for that update right now anyway. I’m sure there’s some people who worked on the project who would like recognition for their resume (okay, maybe this is a long shot, but its just one of other possible reasons to release it now – just ‘street cred’ alone is worth it – now in future interviews they can keep this mantra up of ‘giving’).

22. Grayvern says:

Yes but the problem was never graphics with Crysis 2 it was mostly that, in gameplay terms, it felt like a step backwards from Crysis

Yerli also makes the claim, when read in full, that the plan with Crysis 2 was an increase in accessibility through relatively lower hardware requirements, this is however spurious. Crysis 1 would run well on a lot of hardware at the time if the graphical settings were left shifted.

If anything the real issue is the lack of effort that goes into auto settings detectors, and a false sense among PC gamers that running games on lower settings is emasculating.

Crysis 2 looked good however like many modern games Crysis 2 uses overly aggressive post processing and level of detail effects that actually make many games look like a thin gel filter has put in front of the lens, so to speak.

23. Retribution says:

Does it have an actual graphics menu now, or do i still have to use a third party program because Crytek cares oh so much?

24. Vinraith says:

Oh, they mean the graphics. I was momentarily excited there, I thought we might see a Crysis 3 that returned to Crysis’ “wide corridor” format or, better yet, something even more open. I couldn’t care less about the shininess factor.

25. Mark says:

There are more salient issues surrounding Crysis 2. Its graphics isn’t one of them.

26. 0p8 says:

this is the dx11 patch we’ve known about for ages?
    anyway the “MaLDo HD Texture Mod for Crysis 2″ released couple days ago is pretty good.

27. DeathCarrot says:

Apologies for the following, it’s been a while since I’ve let my inner graphics geek out of its cage.

Anyone know what technique they’re using for the dynamic reflections (4th image, SSR)? Mirrored viewports for planar and dynamic cubemaps for spherical reflections, or have they come up with something new? Having current style planar reflections on almost every surface doesn’t seem very feasible, but I guess current generation multi-GPU setups are pretty powerful, especially considering they have a pretty solid deferred rendering pipeline and don’t need to consider framerate as much.

Reflections for non-primitive shapes would be pretty awesome. Everything else here looks like a good implementation of, or incremental improvement on current tech. Certainly up there with the latest UE3 builds, possibly surpassing it with a couple of features, eager to see how Frostbite 2 compares.

28. skurmedel says:

I just thought the same; I guess shiny graphics counts as an incentive ;)

29. Jimbo says:

I bought it at launch but decided to wait for them to finish making it before playing it. Glad they finally got around to it.

30. mattjb says:

If PC gamers were so serious about high-end graphics, then why are games like Minecraft, World of Warcraft, Torchlight, and the multitude of popular indie titles all getting good sales? No, PC gamers aren’t demanding of good looking games, they are demanding of games that are fun. If it looks good, then that’s icing on a great game.

There is a subset that require super high-end graphics. They have the money to buy all the latest hardware and knowledge to install them. Of course they want games that take advantage of them. Lumping them in with the rest of the PC gamer crowd is being naive and ignorant. Just because a vocal minority are loudly heard doesn’t mean they represent all PC gamers.

31. Pointless Puppies says:

Funny, because graphics wasn’t really the complaint most PC gamers had over Crysis 2. It was more along the lines of stripping down a very amibitious concept of a more open shooter, providing a balance between player freedom and gameplay pacing, turning a tactical, open-ended shooter into what amounted to little more than a generic corridor CoD-style spectacle.

But no, all PC gamers ever want is the “uber graphix”. This doesn’t sound like an earnest response but rather a bout of wishful thinking. I presume Yerli very much WOULD like to have PC gamers care only about “uber graphix”, because then they can release an “uber graphix” patch months after release then say all is well in the land of keyboards and mice. Because he very well knows the console-centric gameplay structure is a fundamental problem that can’t be fixed no matter how many post-release patches they want to push out.

• Jamesworkshop says:

I have to disagree, hanging around the offical forums and places like Hardocp, most PC gamers considered not releasing with Dx11 to be the equivelent of Yerli having murdered their parents.

The suit was much too powerful, especially in cloak and as for the weapons, I thought that was a nice touch compared to the original where half the guns really served no purpose, FY71 and SCAR really only had a difference in damage rating/ammo rarity (single shot + sniper scope = slightly weaker sniper rifle but with 10 times more ammo and more abundent)

Weapons changed depending on the attachments, you actually have that the wrong way around, and some attachments do, silencer for pistols also match the Feline SMG

32. robitii says:

as if no dx11 was their only problem
    lol

33. Thants says:

Before they work on tessellation it’d be nice if they put in actual graphics options. And maybe a way to use a sensible FOV without problems.

34. Tams80 says:

Well, this is good news as at least we get something. I don’t see why the graphics should not be improved and newer graphics technology used. It’s good to see Crytek are at least doing something and hopefully keeping the industry moving forward.

I do not think PC gamers should be labeled as “snobs” for complaining though. Yes a big part of PC gaming is the superior graphics (this is frequently not true, but potentially gaming PCs are always going to be better), but I think the grievances of the more sensible PC gamers are more geared towards the lack of commitment to PCs/optimization. Controls are sometimes not suitable, graphics scaling is often weak/non-existent and general game design sometimes doesn’t quite feel right on the PC.

As others have mentioned multiple times, it is these issues that annoy some people about Crysis 2. Whether it be the ‘corridoriness’, which more PC gamers tend to dislike to the ‘Start’ text and controls, it is these that can suggest that the PC version is somewhat more of an afterthought. Take the ‘Start’ text issue. Yes, on one hand it doesn’t ruin the game and yes, the developers may have simply just forgotten to remove it, but on the other hand, it may suggest that less time was put into the PC version than some gamers would have hoped.

To sum up, PC gamers aren’t just about graphics and being ‘elitist'; they have imho genuine grievances. The dislikes of Crysis 2 were more to do with these than graphics. That said; something is better than nothing. Usually.

35. Jason Moyer says:

Glad to see Crytek have their priorities in order.

*dives into another playthrough of VVVVVV*

36. lemming77 says:

I must be honest, although I was disappointed by how much Crysis 2 has smeared into console shooters, it had nothing to do with the graphics. I’d rather have an SDK than a graphics patch.

37. phenom_x8 says:

“is a “gift” to the PC high-end community”

a $60 dollar gift that we bought for ourselves?? Its not a gift. Its our rights, its should be in package with the release product! If the 1st Crysis could do it, why the sequel can’t? Its just beyond of my imagination!
    But thanks god I’m not yet buy it!

• bill says:

A: why should it have been in the box?
      B: You didn’t pay for it, you paid for Crysis 2.
      C: It’s just a graphics boost, it doesn’t matter.

38. Kaira- says:

Eh, I’d rather see PC gaming evolving in new ways of gameplay instead of OOOH SO SHINY-graphics.

39. Commissar says:

Adding in features that should’ve been in the box at release doesn’t fix a shitty game Crytek.

• bill says:

“should have been in the box at release”

why?

• Commissar says:

To continue the legacy that Far Cry and Crysis had of being ‘the game’ that you had to play, you had to mod and everyone and their dog used to benchmark their machines.

Crysis 2 will never be talked about like Crysis still is.

40. RegisteredUser says:

Crysis 1 was kind of enjoyable due to it’s “Far Cry with a suit” nature, C2 was ultra-dumbed-down uggo-crap.

Both obviously suffered from weapon limits.

41. geokes says:

Oh, I though this article was going to about the gameplay :/ . Admit it damn you! :P

42. jack4cc says:

I expected crysis 2 to look at least as good as crysis 1 when it was released, but that wasn’t the case. So I call this a failure – if it can’t even compete with it’s predecessor, what’s left ? A dumbed down console shooter. A patch months later does not fix anything.

43. Chorltonwheelie says:

Crysis 2 looked pretty but I was convinced I’d never play through the po faced campaign again.
    Still, if this does the trick then I’ll have only paid £15 a go. Huzzah!

44. mickygor says:

Maybe it’s just me, but I feel they would be better spent investing their time in developing a time machine to go back and unrelease that attrocious xbox 360 mp demo I downloaded from steam. Just from between my friends and myself, I know they lost 2 dozen sales there.

45. d32 says:

Oh. And for a moment, I thought he is going to admit he’s ashamed for strict corridor design.

46. ethicks says:

OH it’s a GIFT?!?!!??! WOW THANKS GUYZ THIS IS AMAZING wow tacked on DX11 is so fucking awesome!!!!!!!!111!!!1!!1!!! Seriously Thanks crytek you managed to make a game in 2011 worse than a game in 2007. I would place the genius of the idea purely on Cervat Yerli. Again I can’t stop thanking you yerli– I digress– THANKYOU THANKYOU thanks for the antiquated DX11 patch 5 months after the game came out.