Hands On With New Men Of War DLC

By Jim Rossignol on June 24th, 2011 at 2:36 pm.

These are my tanks. They will always love me.
PLEASING UPDATE: Ah, I got the wrong end of the stick. I have two of five missions to play with. There’s actually going to be one for each faction. That makes this 350% more exciting!

Ooh, I love a bit of Men Of War: Assault Squad, and now I have a bit more of it. Two new (as yet unreleased) skirmish scenarios have been dropped into my grasping hands by the chaps at DigitalMindSoft. Plenty more on this, below.

So what is it? Well, it’s a two-map DLC that will arrive at some point next month. Both maps put you in a defensive position which must be defended for half an hour against increasingly ludicrous waves of enemies. Let’s take a closer look.

The first map is Seelow Heights, is a pastoral European map in which the Germans take on a massive Russian assault. Both maps have some entrenchments around a small hamlet or farmstead, and these are already manned by allied NPC forces. They have some mobile guns and machinguns set up, and they could fight off the first few minutes of enemy attacks on their own. However, once you get past around seven or eight minutes, they begin to collapse, and it’s down to you to halt the advance. Both maps have three outer capture points, which you will lose, but need to recapture and hold if you are going to keep your requisition flowing.

Seelow Heights is a particularly beautiful map, with an abandoned train on one side, and a few remote buildings out in the distance. It’s also heavy on foliage, so both your guys and the enemy have plenty of undergrowth to wade through. I haven’t quite reached half an hour yet, so I look forward to seeing how silly it gets. At ten minutes I had enemy aircraft divebombing me and getting down to crash onto their own troops, as you can see below.

I was defeated at about fifteen minutes in on my first solo play, and I definitely need to have a go at it co-op, so that someone can cover the other flank. It’s a huge battle, where you’re getting attacked from three sides, and keeping track of that on your own is a real challenge. Of course it helps if you rustle up some super-tanks, like this Panther…

The second map, Tobruk, sees you playing a British forces out in the desert of North Africa. The battle here takes on a similar dynamic, with a three-pronged German assault on your position. Things are a little different, of course, and not least because you get some superb British units, such as this Bishop mobile howitzer. Look at it!

Anyway, Tobruk is a much more spartan map, as you’d expect, but it demands a similar attention to defensive routines. The German tanks are absolutely ruthless, and soon allow infantry to rush in and take the outer capture points. Both these maps are quite tight, but perhaps a good tactic will be using the landscape either side of the map to your advantage. I notice they have been artfully crafted with ridges and bunkers that could be to your advantage when trying to flank the main enemy advances. God knows what you’d actually need to hold the enemy off on this, but I’ll continue to fiddle with different formations of tanks, mobile guns, and infantry support.

Both these maps are a brilliant taste of the true battlefield simulator nature of the game, allowing you to throw in all kinds of units, from solo-snipers to serious tank-killers. The sheer number of units on the field at any one time is great fun. And they’re a tough, tough challenge. There’s no confirmed pricetag on this yet, but 1c say it will be “something in between 5-10€” for five maps in total. One for each faction. I can’t really say that I expect this to be a vital addition to the Assault Squad package, but I do know that I will be play both scenarios with chums the coming weeks. Released for free they would have been an exquisite bonus, as a paid DLC they’re simply a pleasingly meaty option to have. Which explains why I am nerding-out the length of this article.

CO-OP UPDATE: I had a game of this with Dartt last night, and it doesn’t get any easier. I think we held on for about 25 minutes in the end. This is a picture of the first time we were crushed by a wave of enemy heavy tanks:

, , , .

1. timmyvos says:

A Firefly in Tobruk? Weren’t they invented in ’44 and the battle of Tobruk was in 41 right? The Americans were still neutral during Tobruk.

2. Tunips says:

Can you drive the train?

• westyfield says:

Not very far, judging by that track.

• dartt says:

I imagine so as there are drivable trains in some of the other MOW maps.

• Jim Rossignol says:

It doesn’t seem to be driveable.

• Alex Bakke says:

For a train to be accessable, you need the Carriage that carries the coal, called a Tender. If it’s not attached you can’t drive it, which is rubbish. I really want them to add in the ability to tow things with the train, or for infantry to be able to climb into a passenger carriage.

• Theory says:

There’s one PVP map where each side gets its own drivable train…both with eight explosive tanker carriages in tow. :)

3. ShowMeTheMonkey says:

Did anybody buy the first DLC? I see few people online with it. It seems odd to me that they would charge that much for so few maps. I’ve hardly dented all the current maps given with the initial release.

Also, a group of us play using the RPS mumble servers. Join us Jim!

4. dartt says:

That first screenshot is lovely did you you line it up yourself?

5. LazerBeast says:

I’ve been waiting for some new skirmish maps. Very excited.

6. westyfield says:

Any word on what the other three maps will be?

7. Khab says:

Been playing this solo against the AI the last days, and I find it rock hard on anything above easy… Good fun, though! :)

• blackjackshelak says:

I think that’s a combination of legitimate difficulty, and the fact that skirmish maps (like most MoW:AS maps) are designed for multiplayer. When you play a map that’s assuming a “co-op vs AI” situation all by yourself, it’s naturally going to be pretty difficult. I’m in pretty much the same boat for solo skirmish. Every time I play one of those maps I figure something out and get closer to beating it. That sense of gradual progress keeps it from being a frustrating experience instead of the enjoyable challenge that it is. Playing like that against the AI helps to rid you of some bad habits that can lead to a quick loss should you step online against other players. I’ve lost a Sherman to a Puma once to the fact that I forgot it had HE rounds loaded, and that wont’ be happening again any time soon.

8. Magnetude says:

Actually, it makes it 250% AS exciting, and 150% MORE exciting. Sort it out Jim :)

9. Theory says:

Second screenshot, bottom left. Are my eyes doing funny things or is that a really fat soldier?

• pingualot says:

No there are loads of soldier portraits and some of them do not look like perfect human specimens.

• cairbre says:

I think he prefers to be called big boned

• blackjackshelak says:

For some reason the German AT Rocket guys usually end up fat. It’s kind of odd, but I’ve already learned to accept that American AT Rocket guys are black, so I suppose it’s not all that strange.

10. EBass says:

As much as I love the game I refuse to pay money for a paltry few maps. I’ve always thought DLC themed/priced in this way is frankly silly.

11. cairbre says:

Any news on the Vietnam version

12. Isometric says:

Beautiful! Can’t wait to get stuck into these

13. Retribution says:

Gah I can’t wait for this, as repetitive as the level design may have been, I had a ridiculous amount of fun with the original coop maps

14. prowlinger says:

Please please suggest to them to change the Firefly on Tobruk to something similar but appropriate for the time of the battle….

It really detracts from the game using a vehicle that isn’t correct in a battle that did not have that unit even invented yet….

15. Duckee says:

A small note for those who might be buying this.

A summer sale is likely soon. Not much to go on, but I thought I would post it regardless.

This is taken from todays patch notes:

*Added files to support summer sale

Taken from: http://digitalmindsoft.eu/forums/showthread.php?7700-Patches&p=201117&viewfull=1#post201117