The RPS Bargain Bucket: Best Things In Life

By RPS on June 25th, 2011 at 1:06 pm.

This week, Lewie is away at Glastonbury, so once again, the SavyGamer B Team of Will Templeton and Tony Heugh has stepped in to pick up the slack. At first, we were really thankful for Lewie going away this particular week, because it meant that our advice was just going to be, “Open up Steam and play TF2, because even if you did buy anything this week you’ll not play it because of the siren call of all that fresh meat.” It was basically a half-day. Then Jim told us that wasn’t good enough. Apparently you lot “won’t stand for that sort of thing,” and we should “have some goddamn integrity.” Well, fine. If you’re going to be that demanding, here’s a roundup of the best deals for your computerbox that aren’t only available gratis through your primary direct downloadatron. As always, to make sure you’re always up-to-date on the best deals as they happen, visit SavyGamer.co.uk.

Rockstar GFW Sale
Rockstar are currently having a blowout of everything they have on Games for Windows Live, which means you can grab Bully for £2.49, Max Payne 1 and 2 for £1.49 each and GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas for £2.49 each. The shining star of this, though, is The Lost and Damned for £1.68, for my money the finest GTA game available. It requires GTA IV to run, as does The Ballad of Gay Tony at £2.49, but if you don’t have that you can grab the standalone Episodes from Liberty City pack that includes both the expansions for £4.99, giving you a smorgasbord of options if you didn’t take advantage of the other recent GTA deal. Oh, and don’t forget that GTA I and II are both available for free on Rockstar’s site, if you want to round out the set.

[Jim's note: Bully is actually better than you'd expect, and probably worth a punt for that much.]

The Saboteur – £4.85/~€5.46/~$7.75
We all have that friend who has a brother who always seems to do slightly better than him at everything – progress at school, social prowess, cooking, whatever. Your friend, try as he might, will just never quite reach the heights that his brother does. But there’s something about him, something a little rough around the edges but still giving him the kind of depth that you want in someone you’ll count as a friend for a long time. I was going to say that described Lewie, but I realise now that it’s actually quite an apt analogy for the Saboteur, too. And the thing about Lewie is that you can’t buy him for under five pounds and have him delivered to your door.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution – £23.99/~€26.99/~$38.29
The first Deus Ex was a challenge to players and developers alike to explore what games could be. I’m not sure if accepting that challenge makes Eidos Montreal brave or the other thing but Quinns was rather taken by it:

“I gasped a little too loudly when I first opened my map and saw the size the inner city Detroit level, where the game first lets you off the leash. The gasp also went on a little too long, as you can’t zoom out enough to see the whole level at once, so I had to do some scrolling around. It’s bigger than any of the hubs in the first Deus Ex, with more side quests, more incidental detail, more passers by to harass and less loading times.”

Regardless of whether this can live up to the legacy of the original, £24 for a game with both elbow-swords and dialogue trees seems a reasonable pre-order gamble.

Cargo! The Quest For Gravity – £7.49/~€8.42/~$11.95
Ice-Pick’s previous two games were the bleak and fascinating Pathologic and The Void, so it was something of a surprise when they released a game that is about making fun in the apocalypse. The world is flooded, gravity is broken and only fun can fix it and keep the small naked ‘Buddies’ happy so you can repair the Zeppelin they shot down with fireworks. You’ll also need to make vehicles.

Cargo! makes less sense the more you explain it, but much like the ‘Buddies’, it’s entertaining and surprising, if a bit wobbly.

Deal of the week
Batman Arkham Asylum – £4.99/~€5.61/~$7.96

I’m not sure that five scary gargoyles per room is good idea when designing an asylum. Fortunately, Dr. Batman is in the house with his PHD in punching and cape swishing. I’m also not sure he’s really a doctor but you do not argue with a man who Bat-ropes to gargoyles for safety.

Arkham Asylum achieved what no game had before – it got the feel of Batman right. You are large but agile, tough but not invulnerable and you have a ‘swish cape’ button. Combat is rhythm-based and sending Batman and the Hammers of Justice into a balletic dance of face-crunching, slow motion, not-fatal-honest violence is always satisfying.

Between punches, the real success of Arkham Asylum was that Rocksteady avoided the juggling of technology and expectations that pushes most superhero games into guided tours of empty cities by concentrating on the Bat-basics and doing a few things very well. With Arkham City putting him into that wider situation in a few months it’s a perfect time to play the first if you haven’t already.

Considering that play.com are selling a poster for this game for £3.99, £4.99 is a bargain. Swish.

Also of note:

Team Fortress 2 – Free
Did you know? It doesn’t seem to be getting much press. Right now would be the perfect time to jump in and show off your skills gained from years of practice – or even pass them on to a fresh-faced youngster. Saxt-on, wax off. Okay, maybe that doesn’t work.

Proun – £Whatever you want
It seems to be having a few teething problems on some machines, but the developer’s feverishly working to smooth them out and let you get straight to rolling your balls around. Quinns seems to recommend it highly.

Magicka – £4.00 (registers on Steam)
Magicka’s smart element mixing system was overshadowed by it being horribly broken on release but it’s terrific fun in co-op, where you can team up with up to three friends to miss enemies and accidentally kill each other in inventive ways. It’s less broken now too.

Dragon Age 2 – £9.99

Get Games have a sale on right now until Monday, including Beyond Good and Evil and Thief: Deadly Shadows. Check out the full list on their site.

You’ll notice a distinct lack of Steam deals this week. That’s because we just officially had the first day of summer, which usually means that any Steam purchase will immediately be rendered a bad decision due to it being twenty pence the next day. Make sure you’re keeping an eye on SavyGamer.co.uk so that you’re up to date with every deal as it’s available.

1. Spinoza says:

What is Team Fortress? And why is two of them?

• simoroth says:

Some sort of hat shop I believe.

• Daniel Klein says:

I demand that the next time RPS do an interview with Valve they call it an interview with the “Hat Shop Boys”. I DEMANDS IT!

• CMaster says:

According to the manufacturers (some kind of plumbing merchants I believe), it is “America’s Favourite War-Themed Hat Simulator”. However, one has to doubt whether a free-to-play title will provide the level of simulation that RPS types are accustomed to. Does it truly simulate velvet accurately? What about different options for affixing it to your head? How is lead poisoning accounted for?

• Bhazor says:

“What about different options for affixing it to your head?”

You mean theres another way than this?

• Mattressi says:

CMaster, unfortunately it’s rather obvious that the simulator is designed by a plumbing company. It simply does not have the level of realism which could be reasonably expected of a quality hat simulator: lead poisoning is entirely unaccounted for, the sagging of felt hats in wet weather is not modelled and even the most basic things like the long term effects of UV radiation on both the hats and the heads of those who shun hats are completely ignored. They really should stick to manufacturing plumbing simulators and supplies.

• gohemis says:

That game is a spy.

• Tacroy says:

Actually I’d prefer it if they titled it “Interview with the Haberdasher”

• tawa says:

“They really should stick to manufacturing plumbing simulators and supplies.”

Such as the proper use of tools, for example, a crowbar?

You know, I really wish they would…

• a.simons613 says:

I chuckled heartily.

2. rareh says:

Deal of the week should be Proun

• McDan says:

It should have been , this game is amazing.

• shotshotshotbulletshots says:

Looking at that reminds me of Torus Trooper, by Aba games. Which was amazing btw.

• Barnaby says:

Got it last night for $5. Can’t wait to try it!

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

It’s aesthetically perfect with its style. I’m not over-exaggerating here. There is nothing you could add to improve its aesthetics.

It’s a great deal too, certainly.

But man, I’m not having any fun with this game.

3. Binman88 says:

Really considering re-installing GTA4 for those cheap expansions, but I don’t think I ever even completed the original game itself.

Also, for Russian readers, The Witcher 2′s price has been cut to $19.99 on Steam. If you’re outside Russia, you can verify this yourself by visiting http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=ru and searching for it. The original is $7.49 I believe. No idea if there’s any way for non-Russians to buy this, though I believe you can log in and add it to your cart for that price, once you’ve instructed the country code as above!

4. SAeN says:

I’d be happy to pick up DA2 for that price, but from Play? Hmmm…

• Creeping Death says:

What issues have you had with Play?

Personally I’ve used the site for5 or 6 years now and never had any reason to complain. Apart from the delivery times around christmas of course, but that’s only half plays fault :P

• CMaster says:

I’ve got a slight issue with them being tax dodgers, and delivery takes a while, but service has always been good for me.

• SAeN says:

I’ve just found there service to be unreliable at times. Several orders where I have received the wrong product, late orders. I try to stick with amazon if I am ordering a hardcopy. In this case, Amazon would seem to be offering the same price.

Carra says:

I ordered about 40 items and never had a problem.

DA2 is well worth it at that price. Heck, bought it two months ago for €23 from play.com

• johnpeat says:

Technically speaking, Play aren’t tax dodgers – YOU are by using them (they don’t have to pay VAT which is a tax levied on the customer, not the supplier).

They also have the WORST customer service on earth – as they’re not covered by the UK SoGA they do what the hell they like. Doesn’t really affect games but buying electricals from them is a very, very bad idea because they’ll dust their hands entirely when it goes wrong…

5. JPR says:

Gamersgate have Just Cause 2 for £3.49 (registers on Steam) today only though.

• Vinraith says:

Note: “Registers on Steam” in this case means “MUST be registered on Steam,” the game has Steamworks.

Not that it isn’t still a good deal, though.

• Chauvigny says:

Thanks for this!

• soundofvictory says:

Came here to mention this, but you beat me to it! Best deal of the weekend? Possibly.

• Thants says:

Just Cause 2 makes every other game look badly optimized.

6. Bhazor says:

Re: Gargoyles in Batman Arkham Asylum

Its apparently mentioned in the game that the gargoyles were paid for by WayneTech. So yes Batman bought gargoyles for an island asylum just in case he happened to become trapped inside one day and needed to hide.

7. DSDan says:

This has probably been asked and answered, but is Steam going to run a Summer Sale this year?

• Jim Rossignol says:

We believe so.

• Duckee says:

I believe it will be somewhat delayed, it would be odd if Valve chose to push forward a massive sale campaign now when all they really want is people to play TF2. A summer sale would overshadow the TF2 marketing.
      However, some sources point to a possible summer sale. For instance the recent patch for MoWAS has a change which says: added files to support for a summer sale. This does not mean a Steam sale however, and could be anywhere, but I think Steam is a likely candidate.

• johnpeat says:

It seems likely – what I reckon is happening is that they saw the gag on their official forums about a Summer SEAL and are redoing all the art to have that theme…

Couldn’t be worse than last-year’s cringe-inducing nonsense about not going outside…

• Boult Upright says:

Those crazy kids at Sakari may have slipped up….

• Mana_Garmr says:

@Duckee
      Or, now that they have a bunch of new people using Steam to try out TF2, this could be the perfect time to say “Hey, look what else you could get here”.

• Tacroy says:

Yeah, I bet that the summer sales will start in a week or so. That’ll give people enough time to go “Oh hey Team Fortress 2? I will install Steam and play that”, get hooked on hats, and start noticing the Steam Announcements thing that pops up when you exit a game.

• Barnaby says:

The Killing Floor update is what really convinced me it was going to happen, seems very similar to the Christmas update/sale. The above link is also some pretty good proof.

/me taps fingers impatiently…

*Edit*
      I’m more inclined to think it would start Monday than them waiting until next Friday but I have no proof. Just a feeling.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

You should buy Deus Ex Human Revolution at that price. It’ll be worth it.

• DarkFenix says:

I would indeed pick up Deus Ex 3 there if they had the Augmented Edition at a similar discount. That’s an amazing price for a new top end title though, anyone not after the Aug Ed should pick it up.

• dc says:

No delivery outside GB sadly :-/ Can’t pick a country that’s not on some weird island in the North Sea…

9. iLag says:

Star Ruler on Steam for little money – yay or nay? Looks like this has been patched a lot over the last months, so it should be better than it was when it launched, right? RIGHT?

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

I always go back to it after a new patch, trying to get into it and failing. The developer is well-meaning I’m sure but that game just does nothing for me.
      Just now it crashed on me after starting up a game, so eh…

• The Sentinel says:

…which is not to say it’s buggy in any way – it has run flawlessly every time I’ve ran it. Never crashed once.

However, the game does have a rather formidable learning curve to overcome. At the price of roughly a pint of beer it’s worth taking a look but be prepared to spend some time with it before you get into it.

10. iLag says:

The better price for Magicka can be paid at GreenManGaming: http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/action/magicka/ What’s up with you people, did Lewie not allow you to talk about GMG as well? Geez.

(they also have the “complete edition” a little cheaper than Steam, and they offer a “pick and mix” on various dlc. at least if you’re paying in €, don’t know about the other currencies.)

• johnpeat says:

Lewie took a slightly-bonkers stance on GMG when they launched (confusing his roles as deal finder and opinion former) and has avoided mentioning their details quite a few times since…

Since in this case you’ve buying a Steam code, their trade-in system and client are irrelevant so ignoring them is a bit daft really!?

• 8-bit says:

Cant say I entirely disagree with not mentioning the gmg deal, there is just something a little off about the site. Take the magicka dlc pick&mix for example, which can result in a careless customer paying up to two pounds more for the bundle than they would buying the content on its own, and the best deal only saves about twenty pence anyway. granted I didn’t test it past the point where you have to put in your details at checkout, but the site doesn’t seem to make any effort to inform you that you might be paying more than what its worth.

• iLag says:

considering Lewie had no scruples to tell people about GMG that one time they screwed up their pricing (selling Alpha Protocol for 2,49 instead of 24,99 for a couple of hours), it just feels a little strange to see him reacting quite strongly when somebody brings up GMG.

those pick & mix deals are somewhat strange, I agree. on the other hand: no retailer is really holding your hand when you buy something; even Steam had single games discounted while they were not discounted in a bundle, so people who didn’t paid attention paid more when buying the bundle which usually saves you some money.

anyway, their prices are sometimes quite good (sometimes meaning -definitely- not always. just look at their price of Charlie Knight’s Irukandji, which is $1+ from the dev himself), their customer service is quick and friendly and they have the habit of giving away free stuff once in a while. that’s more than I can except from Impulse and Direct2Drive, I guess, so I at least consider them when thinking about buying digitally.

totally unrelated: another bundle of indies launched some days ago. they want you to ignore buying socks and buying their games instead. no idea if this is such a good idea in the long run. Winter is coming etc. = cold feet. but still, cheap indies: http://www.buygamesnotsocks.com/

• Barnaby says:

So frustrating that they nerfed the shield. I know they probably did this for the PVP update but man it makes it annoying in Adventure mode. I played with a buddy for his first time yesterday and I continually had to use fire on myself to get rid of the speed debuff from him using frost on me “accidentally”.

Kind of off topic but damn the DLC and damn them nerfing the shield! It’s still fun but grrr.

• Urthman says:

Nerfed the shield? That sounds terrible. The game is impossible enough in single player as it is. What exactly did they do to it?

• Thants says:

Maybe I’m just weird, but Magicka being click-and-hold-to-move instead of click-to-move bugs the hell out of me. Is there any way to change that?

11. Stormtamer says:

GoG also still have an Interplay sale on

12. Zelius says:

Those Rockstar games are tempting me. But Games For Windows… Yuck.

edit: And I have a question about Deus Ex: HR. Some retail games use Steamworks, even if you don’t buy directly from Steam. Does anyone know if this is the case with this game?

• Maxheadroom says:

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe GFWL isn’t all that bad anymore though? Everyone deserves a 2nd chance right?

Bully – “This offer has expired or is not available in your region”*

Nope, they still suck

*and yes I’m i the UK and it’s still listed on their site for £2.50

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

There’s been no official word on whether DXHR will require Steam or not. But I think it’s very likely. The preview code used Steam’s DRM.

• Zelius says:

Ah, that’s good news! I was planning on pre-ordering through Steam, as I like to have most of my games in one place. I might just order it from that store now, though.

• Kaira- says:

Damn, I was kinda looking forwards to the game (DXHR, that is). Oh well, maybe I’ll pick it up when it’s cheap enough with all the dlc.

• Vinraith says:

• Mistabashi says:

“Steamworks eh? Well, there’s solid motivation to wait for a sale. No sense buying a Steam-only game at full price, after all!”

I don’t get it – assuming you already have Steam installed, in what way does it inconvenience you if the boxed version uses Steamworks?

On a side note, I just finished the leaked preview and I’m now pretty excited – despite my reservations regarding the style and some of the design descisions that hinted at (main)streamlining, it turns out it’s a ‘proper’ Deus Ex game. I doubt the plot will live up to the original, and it will be punctuated with mildly annoying boss fights, but the core gameplay is pretty spot-on.

• FakeAssName says:

yes, Dues-Ex will use steamworks.

which, combined with the fact that it is being primarily developed for consoles, is more than enough reason for me to wait till Gamestop is selling a Xbox copy for $15 – $20. (I don’t have a PS3, so I’m stuck with the low-rez box)

… kinda sad that the main reason I don’t have a PS3 is because I can’t justify the expense after upgrading my PC, however 90% of what I can play on my PC is poorly implemented console ports. on top of that, it’s only about 10% of that 90% that are any good … but out of that 10%: 3/4 are steamworks titles and we are right back to being platform locked.

• Zelius says:

@Mistabashi,

I don’t get this either. I mean, out of every possible DRM scheme this game could have, Steam would be the least inconveniencing, right? And on top of that we get cloud-based backing up of saved games, automatic updating, and unlimited downloading of the game if you happen to lose or scratch your DVD. I really don’t see the downside.

• DrazharLn says:

Zelius, Mistabashi: Vinraith is making reference to the fact that games bought on steam are only available to you as long as steam is. Many games will actually stop being playable if you haven’t logged into steam for a few days/weeks.

DRM free games don’t have this problem, you can save their game files somewhere and play them any time on any compatible machine even if the rest of the world has gone… or your internet connection is down.

• FakeAssName says:

not to mention that you simply can not run the games without the steam client, I personally don’t give a fuck about cloud backups, automatic updates, and disk loss (I’m pretty good with my disks).

on top of which virtually every other DD site offers those same features without forcing them on you: I don’t play games on more than one PC so off site saves are meaningless to me, I’ve had plenty of patches make the game worse but rollbacks and declining patches until the developer “fixes” the patch are simply not options with steam, and even if you DO buy a disk version of a steam game your simply buying a disk with the steam client on it because all it will do if try to install one of their games from the disk is open the client then download the entire fucking game.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

You can certainly run Steamworks games without the Steam client, if you’re so inclined.

• Pointless Puppies says:

@DrazharLn:

Got a source for that? Everything I’ve read from Valve says they’ve got a system in place to remove Steamworks integration should Steam go under.

• FakeAssName says:

good luck with that, the games are owned by the publishers, not steam. if steam goes under they can not simply “unlock” all the games that have been sold through Steam. that’s like SecuRom trying to hand out bypass codes for every title shipped with it simply because they close down.

remember the mock closure of GOG where they put up a message to the effect of “we will try to put up a link for people download their games one last time, but it probably wont last more than a week”? yeah, that was a very realistic fire drill of what would happen if a DD provider actually went under: sites like these cannot simply drop an open ended link for people to download their shit post closure, it’s kinda illegal because that property does not belong to them.

the only games that Steam could do that with are the ones wholly owned by Valve, but even then you shouldn’t quote things that are not included in the EULA because if it’s not: it’s just bullshit.

• Kaira- says:

@Pointless Puppies

Would you happen to have source for any of those claims? The Steam EULA contradicts that quite hardly, as in “the continued offering of the service won’t be ensured” or something along those lines, can’t be arsed to quote the complete thing now. You’ll spot it in EULA from CAPS LOCK everywhere, as it is quite important part.

As for everyone else why I (and I do believe I can speak for Vinraith here also, at least to some degree), I’d rather have a not-online DRM-scheme in my games, and even online-activation would be preferable to being forced to run a third-party client to play my games, and having to rely on that third party when it comes to playing games. Steam is thus far the only DRM that has prevented me from playing games, that I’ve bought, so that also has some impact on my opinions.

• Vinraith says:

You know, it’s funny, I was mostly just referring to the fact that the only advantage of buying games on Steam is the insanely good sales, so if I’m going to have to have a game on Steam I might as well take advantage of that.

Which is not to say that the old “they’ll turn off Steam locking if anything happens” urban legend doesn’t need a good debunking, or that anything that’s been said about the problems with Steam in this thread is inaccurate, of course. I just take those as givens, at this point.

• The Hammer says:

Just as a question: how long do people envision that Steam, as a service, will live on for?

Because I can totally see it still being around in 20 years time. Will traditional forms of physical media still be around then, and if not, will devices we use now still be able to play them?

13. WMain00 says:

Tempted by The Saboteur. Anyone played it and can tell me what it’s like?

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

It’s a lot of fun. You blow up nazis and drive around the french countryside (blowing up stuff). It’s also very pretty, and you can climb the Eiffel tower and every other landmark in Paris.

Could get a bit repetitive if you want to blow up everything though, and there may be issues if you have an ATI card (you will definitely need a patch).

• Resonance says:

I really enjoyed it – it’s got a nice amount of variety – an amusing cast of characters and has a nice arcady feel to the combat. For that price it’s well worth it.

• DSDan says:

It’s similar to Just Cause 2 and Red Faction: Guerrilla. If you like either of those games (which I did), then you’ll probably like the Saboteur (which I also did). A tip though is to play these types of games on an easier level than you would play a normal game, cause then you can go crazy and add to the fun.

lurkalisk says:

Indubitable quality, sir. Mayhap not the best of free-roaming man shooting titles, but I would contest that it rank highly among them.

• patricij says:

It’s a very good game, I pre-ordered it and didn’t regret. It’s more cinematic and story driven than Mercenaries II and in a unique (for a free-roamer) and pretty authentic surroundings – some time after finishing the game, I happened to go to Paris for the first time and it was an interesting experience indeed (no stuff to blow-up or kill, however, which was a bit of a let-down) and after returning home, I then re-installed the game and just drove the streets some more.

Overall, it’s a very much polished fun game, but containing less content than Mercenaries II – given the limitations of the period, attempts at authenticity (for the most part) and a more story-driven approach. I spent around 100 hours with Mercenaries II and around 30 hours with Saboteur. BUT I might get back to it once again later, there are still some achievements I wish to unlock.

• johnpeat says:

You were all selling it to me and then someone mentions the dogs-dinner which is Mercs 2 (which I own and cannot bring myself to play – it feels like a budget PS2 title).

• Jason Moyer says:

My favorite open world third person sandboxy game. Driving around the French countryside, using Nazi uniforms as disguises, blowing things up, the ability to climb almost anything AC style, a decent story…

The disguise-based stealth works for me in ways that Hitman never did. Instead of being puzzle-oriented, you can sneak up behind a guard, silently take him out, steal his uniform, then walk around stealthily killing people as long as you aren’t being observed acting suspiciously. Gunshots and dead bodies create zones of suspicion so once you get a supressed pistol, the ability to silently kill people from behind, and a uniform the stealth play becomes very satisfying.

• Thants says:

Yeah, I though the stealth system was very well put together.

Oh, and it has a clever little feature that other games should steal: When you press space to skip a mission briefing your guy says “Get to the point” and they just spit out “Kill the general” or whatever your mission is.

14. Jac says:

Had bully on playstation 2 – it’s an excellent game defiitely worth a punt if you haven’t played it.

• Bhazor says:

Sadly unless theres been a major patch/mod the game is completely broken on PC. Any one know any better?

• malkav11 says:

I’ve heard it has gotten better. I don’t know because I beat it on PS2. I do think it’s Rockstar’s best game, though.

• Matzerath says:

They did release a very late patch that fixed a lot of problems.

• Giaddon says:

I bought it about a year ago and never had any problems.

15. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Only buy DLC for Magicka if you’re really into it and exhausted the existing maps and want to support the developer. There’s nothing essential in there.

• johnpeat says:

Yeah – the idea of buying the whole lot for £17 is the best way of spending far too much money on a game I’ve seen in decades :)

I admire the way they’ve gone from a cheap/shonky indie title ‘with promise’ to a package of tat which costs far too much tho – you can’t knock cheek like that :)

16. Ikkusei says:

I happily join in on recommending Bully. I paid £20 for it and though I got a bargain. Gets a bit daft towards the end, but you’ll have a lot of fun getting there.

• DSDan says:

I hated being on the clock. I want to come home from the real world, load up the game, and wreak havoc on the town, without being told that I was supposed to be in a certain place during a certain segment of the game time. Ugh.

17. Po0py says:

Does anyone know if the GTAIV DLC on GFW Live work on the Steam version of GTAIV?

• Aemony says:

I’m almost certain it does… The key element here is whether or not the DLCs are downloadable and installed through GWFL or not. If it is, it should work on the Steam version as well. It if isn’t, it probably won’t.

• Po0py says:

Thanks for the reply. Yes. It seems they do. I just spotted someone else asking the same question in the Steam GTA forums and getting the same answer. It’s hard to ignore at a price like that so I’m gonna go for it. If only I can get my damn GFWL to quit bugging out on me and allow me to log in. What a terrible piece of software.

• Bhazor says:

The episode bundle is standalone and only £0.83 more than buying them seperatly. So I’d say go for that if you’re worried.

18. Ignorant Texan says:

I rather enjoyed Cargo! – The Quest For Gravity, and would recommend it, with some mild reservations. What some of the early reviewers found off-putting(The wobbly controls of the contraptions you build and the vague instructions on how to proceed through the levels), I found to be in complete keeping with the game’s world and tone(These are contraptions and, therefore, should be difficult to control and the vagueness leads to exploration and experimentation). Definitely Ice Pick Lodge’s most accessible game. While it can become repetitive in places, I found the repetition to be enjoyable(having Buddies in a mega-dance party, or building an enormous vehicle to haul Buddies about, with the consequent fireworks, never became tiresome). So, if you’ve been on the fence about C!-TQfG, I’d say that it’s worth buying at 50% off, although I’m sure Steam at some point will either bundle it with other indie titles or have it on sale for 5/5/5. Just remember, it is different.

The price on Impulse is $9.99, not ~$11.95, by the way.

• Thants says:

I’ll buy 10 copies if they promise to use the money to make a real translation for Pathologic.

19. Jake says:

Pretty sure Batman was £3.75 on Steam a few weeks back. I’d bet it will be less than £5 in the Summer sale. Not that it matters, it’s an absolute bargain at any price.

• johnpeat says:

Oh yes – it’s probably the best game released in the last 5 years – I really cannot imagine anyone having a problem with it…

It has decent puzzles, fabulous combat, a great story and it looks fantastic – hell it doesn’t even outstay it’s welcome in that it’s a sensible length and avoids too much grind (the challenges etc. will flesh the game out for those obsessed with getting more from it) – and all that before you open-up multiplayer!!

If you don’t own it by now – there’s something wrong with you – really, there is – the develop has a massive task with it’s sequel because the original is pure gold.

20. Bhazor says:

Reply fail.

21. Heliocentric says:

asscreed2 is £6 on get games

22. sightseemc says:

So how many Magickas can I buy for a virtual shirt in Eve?

23. pekuja says:

There’s also a cool indie game bundle going, called “Buy Games, Not Socks”: http://www.buygamesnotsocks.com/
    5 games for $5: Delve Deeper, Spring Up Harmony, Mactabilis, Steel Storm: Burning Retribution, and Digitanks.

24. ocybin says:

Not sure if I missed it in the comments, but theres also a 2k games sale going on over the weekend at direct2drive. Up to 75% of those. Also, Crysis and Crysis 2 are 50% off for today only.

25. gohemis says:

GTA SA 3.50$ on steam

26. Zelius says:

@DrazharLn,
    I don’t know about games deactivating themselves if you don’t log into Steam for a while. I haven’t heard of that before. At least, it’s never happened to me. As far as playing while offline is concerned, you only have to activate a game through Steam once, after which it becomes available in offline mode as well.

@FakeAssName,
    I’m pretty sure retail Steam games install the entire game from the disc, and not just the Steam client. Though I have seen Steam downloading updates right after installing from disc, but never the entire game.

• malkav11 says:

Offline mode requires periodic check in with Steam. Just not every time you run it, like usual.

• FakeAssName says:

Dark messiah, every game included in the orange box, and Darksiders all puled this stunt.

I explicitly noticed this because my internet speed is pretty crappy, Darksiders was especially bad because I bought it from THQ’s personal online store: it downloaded the exact same data that was burnt to a DVD and shipped in a box, yet when I went to install it all that happened was that it opened steam and re-downloaded the whole damned thing despite the entire game files sitting on my HD.

27. johnpeat says:

I’m just going to plug http://www.buygamesnotsocks.com/ again – the deal is a belter…

Steel Storm (£6 on Steam atm) is in my wishlist (was hoping for a summer sale deal perhaps) and I’d fancied Spring Up Harmony for a while (it’s a thinking mans Peggle) – so £3-odd for those 2 and 3 other games is hard to pass-up.

28. Sander Bos says:

Gamers-gate have an (downloadable) deal on Batman Arkham Asylum too today, slightly cheaper for me in the Netherlands at 5.99 euro:

29. MrThingy says:

Went for the Deus Ex pre-order.

As a sidepoint… I hate HATE HAAATE “Verified by Visa”.

How embarrassing is it to continually forget your ‘Memorable Name’ …

• MrThingy says:

Also, that CoolShop form is a bit… iffy. Browser asked me if I wanted to save my Street as a password. :-\