Adventure Denied: Minecraft 1.7 Rethought

By Alec Meer on June 27th, 2011 at 11:06 am.

Is that actually a piston? I thought they looked like... no, better not say. I'll only be mocked.

Boo. Boo! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. We’ll have to wait a little longer to go adventuring in Minecraft, for the absurdly-anticipated patch that adds more ‘game’ to the, uh, game has been delayed. Well, sort of. Minecraft 1.7 is still due very soon, but the Adventure Update has been pushed to version 1.8, which will “take quite some time to finish.” Aargh!

It’s not all bad news though – in the meantime, we’re getting pistons added to the game hopefully any day now.

Quoth creator Notch:

“Me and Jens have been independently working on stuff for the adventure update, and it’s been growing in scope as we’ve been working on it. That means it will take quite some time to finish, but that it will hopefully change the game a lot to the better. To prevent going too far between updates, we’ve decided to release Pistons early.

That means 1.7 will be released soon, containing only pistons and probably a couple of bug fixes. The adventure update will take however long it takes, and will be released as 1.8. It might be a long wait, but it will be worth it!”

Meantime, Minecraft’s ‘full release’, previously due to the same day as Skyrim (11/11/11) has “almost certainly” been pushed back a week (EDIT: apparently this is actually primarily due to problems finding a venue for the upcoming MinecraftCon that week).

We get another hint of what’s planned for this full release though: “That includes finishing up the mod api, improving stability and performance, adding supporting features like friends lists and a proper server browser, integrating singleplayer and multiplayer, and most importantly fleshing out the gameplay.”

Meantime: pistons. They go a little something like this:

What are you going to make with pistons?

1. CMaster says:

Actually, I think the reason for pushing the release date back was that they couldn’t get a good venue for MinecraftCon

Edit: Source

• sana says:

And you don’t even need to scroll down the blog to read that!

• CMaster says:

You do on my 1050 px high display :(
      (Although barely)

• Alec Meer says:

OK! But even the snarkiest of all snarks would acknowledge that he phrased it in such a way in the most recent post as to suggest it was due to development issues.

• SquareWheel says:

He’s mentioned in the past that it was due to venue issues.

• CMaster says:

I’m not sure that the snarkiest of all snarks would agree with anything unless they really had to.

Now I’m just imagining the “snarks” in Half Life chasing Alec around, berating him. I’m not sure what is wrong with me.

2. Fashigady says:

What aren’t I going to make with pistons?

3. Coins says:

Just give me pistons, I don’t need anything else!

• terry says:

I thought I wanted pistons until I saw this – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuwwzgCi0LA . Now I want waterwheels :-)

• Coins says:

Oh wow. That is incredible! I still want pistons, though.

• Wulf says:

That’s a touch too Wurm Online-ish for me. It’s much like those sorts of games, anyway. And if I wanted to play Wurm Online, I’d be playing it! There are some really great mods out there for Minecraft (I’m especially fond of the ones that add dungeons and adventure areas) but that one’s not for me. I can’t say I like all mods, just most of them. :p

The idea with Minecraft I think was to be a building thing, but not an anally retentive building thing like Wurm, more of a fun building thing, like LEGO. That’s why you’re spending time playing with circuitry and minecarts, rather than working with various sorts of mills and what have you. So in this case I actually prefer Notch’s approach to the mods. I suppose it’s out of my desire for escapism in games, though.

Sharkey said it best about one of the GTA games (paraphrased from memory): “After I completed the campaign I spent ages driving around and delivering pizzas. Then I realised I could be doing this in the real world and making money, so I stopped playing it and never went back.”

if it’s something you can do in the real world, then to me it tends to go into the pointless realism/micro-management area that just doesn’t interest me personally. I’d rather be doing things I can’t do in reality. I suppose that this is why, now that I’m out of my Minecraft building phase, I’m spending more and more time in Terraria.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

@ Wulf

“if it’s something you can do in the real world, then to me it tends to go into the pointless realism/micro-management area that just doesn’t interest me”

Well technically you could also go around shooting people too, or race your suped up car through the streets/suburbs of london in one huge police chase, hell you could rob a bank. etc etc. (I could go on :P)

But, in the game it’s different, because, you know, chopping down a tree takes a couple of minutes, makes you feel like a burly lumberjack and gives you wood… erm.

In real life chopping down a tree is hard fucking work, you’ll likely either chop your arm off (Thank you chainsaw!) or crush yourself or your car you parked right next to it, because you’ve never chopped it down before..

I think comparing games to reality like that Is a bit flawed. I’m doing x in this game, if I did it outside the game I’d be, making money/drugs/sexing girls/winning – see; Charlie Sheen.

Games are great you know because if I set a tree on fire to clear leaves, and the whole place goes up like ‘nam, I just run away to a new area and pretend it never happened. irl, I think I would shit myself, feel like a dick, feel bad for killing cuddly things and not so cuddly things in the forest and also probably not fix it by running away, and probably end up in jail getting raped by my new cellmate “Bubba”.

• Kaira- says:

@terry

Well, that mod seems to have every mechanic I might want from Minecraft, gotta try it. Thanks!

• Nyst says:

Waterwheels make the game more like Dwarf Fortress, and that can only be a good thing.

• Carra says:

That mod looks awesome.

4. SquareWheel says:

“So, Minecraft’s not exactly going to be scratching its arse this year, it appears. Notch also mentions that the team will immediately get cracking on post-release content once done too.”

Well, he said after a few weeks break. Which he absolutely deserves.

• Durkonkell says:

WHAT?!?! A BREAK?

This clearly shows that Notch has taken our money and run rather than do any work ever! He should be horribly killed for this. He has deliberately failed and betrayed the community for his own amusement etc.

*Durkonkell flies into hysterics and explodes.

5. the_fanciest_of_pants says:

“What are you going to make with pistons?”

FLOODGATES

RETRACTABLE STAIRWAYS

AWESOME AUTO-DOORS

DEATH TRAPS

But seriously. Mostly traps.

Then I’ll invite my friends to play my world again, and they will again wonder why they play minecraft with me. I basically treat SMP as “Mousetrap: elaborately trap and kill your friends edition”.

Oh and I wonder what happens when a pistol pushes a block with a rail on it. THAT could spice up my railways nicely.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Oh yes. So many traps. I once made (oh my god did it take forever, hurray for endless TNT) a massive chasm lined with obsidian behind the lava flows with a wood bridge in the middle, and a wool ceiling very high above. At the halfway point, a pressure plate would trigger a bit of sand in the ceiling to fall down, freeing the lava so it could set the wool ablaze, and set the bridge behind the poor fool on fire. At that point, they’d be forced to continue, and it wasn’t that hard to reset as the lava was only made to come down in certain places, other than where it already lined the walls.

• Carra says:

Now then, why didn’t you make a youtube movie of that?

6. MadTinkerer says:

Let’s see:

A classic “secret bookcase” door with bookshelves + pistons.

Various security improvements to my existing bases, such as water streams to wash away mobs which are not smart enough to turn off the traps. Edit: also, mashy spike plates, of course.

I like to make bases in natural cave areas, so I’ll find a good one with a hillside entrance. Then, pistons + grass blocks = BATCAVE ENTRANCE.

And, of, course, if it’s feasible, various colored wool blocks + pistons = OPTIMUS PRIME KINETIC SCULPTURE.

Finally (for this post), perhaps a castle which is almost entirely made up of pistons + other blocks and can completely change into another form. Again, pending feasibility of exactly how pistons work.

7. Kaira- says:

Well, Notch already hinted about this on his twitter. Nevertheless, I’m still disappointed, I wanted more game to my Minecraft

• RaveTurned says:

Apparently when he floated the idea of a piston-only release for 1.7 (via twitter), the result was overwhelmingly positive (WAAARGH MOAR CONTENTS NAO! Surprise…) . Personally I’d have come down firmly in the camp of “release what you want, when it’s damn well ready”, but meh.

8. DarkFenix says:

Looks like Notch really pist on the hopes of those wanting more ‘game’ from Minecraft. Sorry, couldn’t resist.

9. Ondrej says:

Arghh…

Someone get me hooked on Minecraft again so I have a world to test all the new goodies out! I’m playing it on Normal with the rule that if I die, I have to delete the world. And my own silly mistakes keep pushing me back :(

10. MythArcana says:

Well, reading Notch’s blog today I can see he’s been quite busy…playing Duke Nukem Forever. The few days before that it was probably a Wii U marathon along with hours of LAN Terraria at the office. Notch kind of reminds me of Tom Hanks in Big when he lands the dream job at the toy company and makes some great decisions in his sandbox euphoria. If all distractions over there at Mojang were kept to a minimum and more discipline was asserted, they would be much closer to some kind of goal already. Let’s not even mention the 4 (or more) other platforms they are focusing on in the midst of basic game design right during *the tail end* of the project. I was much more optimistic about this game six months ago, but there looks to be no end in sight with all the Tomfoolery going on over there. And certainly not by 11/11/11…

• The Sentinel says:

I’m glad you’re here to spread your disdain all over Minecraft threads, Myth. Good effort.

Has the man eaten one of your children? Help me understand, please. Because I don’t see any reason for this crusade you seem to be on other than ‘Become the Largest Dick I Can Be’.

• RodeoClown says:

Ah, spoken like someone who has never done any kind of software development in their life – much less worked on a game!

Keep fighting the good fight MythArcana!

• sana says:

RPS commenter squad to the rescue, whiteknighting even those they won’t get laid by! When someone expresses their disappointment, cue comments a la “he eat your children or something? deal with it punk” since any sort of negative opinion is, of course, ‘angry internet man’ material and must be banned from this wonderland of optimism!

There’s single modders in Minecraft’s community which produce more game content daily than Mojang does in a week, and the man here is completely right. What Mojang does with their piles of money is entirely up to them, so they can spend as much time playing video games in office as they like, but when a developer talks more about the games he plays than about the /very scarce/ content he produces for a game he hastily assembled on top of another dying game’s concept, he’s obviously doing something wrong publicity-wise.

• RodeoClown says:

“There’s single modders in Minecraft’s community which produce more game content daily than Mojang does in a week”
      Again, spoken by someone with apparently no first-hand knowledge of software/game development. Also, the original comments come from a place of zero knowledge. Is Notch not allowed to play games in his spare time, and blog about them on his personal blog? Is he not allowed to look into other platforms (even when it’s been announced that they are being worked on by other people)? Even if he does get to play games during “work hours”, does that mean he isn’t also working on minecraft content?

So many questions. So many opportunities for speculation as to the goings-on inside Castle Mojang.

• sana says:

Now, rather than pounding the ad hominem drum of “first-hand experience in game development”, would you like to actually state why that is a pre-requisite for criticizing somebody’s work ethics?

And, y’know, usually people separate official work-related blogs/networking accounts and personal ones. There’s already a Mojang blog up, yet Notch seems above using that for Minecraft news.

• Archonsod says:

“If all distractions over there at Mojang were kept to a minimum and more discipline was asserted”

Then we’d probably have some sort of multiplayer FPS rather than Minecraft.

Uh-huh. You don’t think that might have something to do with the fact that they’re modders and therefore working with pre-existing code rather than developers, who are creating code from scratch? Takes two minutes to draw a moustache on the Mona Lisa. Takes considerably longer to paint the Mona Lisa in the first place.

• sana says:

“You don’t think that might have something to do with the fact that they’re modders and therefore working with pre-existing code rather than developers, who are creating code from scratch?”
      Nope! Minecraft has no easy-mode modding tools that people can build new content with, so they’re developing theirs under the same conditions as Mojang does. The days of having to code the very basics of Minecraft functionality “from scratch” are long over for Notch so both parties are simply developing new content for the game, and a quick look at the Minecraft modding forums reveals a staggering amount of mods that change the game in /much/ more fundamental ways than official updates do. Smooth lighting and pistons were initially mods, you see, and they’re among the most impacting recent/soon-to-be additions to vanilla Minecraft.

• JB says:

@ sana – “What Mojang does with their piles of money is entirely up to them, so they can spend as much time playing video games in office as they like”

Eeeeexactly.

• The Sentinel says:

@Sana
      …so your point is that he can do whatever he likes as long as he doesn’t do it publicly? I think, perhaps, you’re right. He might be better off not releasing any further updates until the game is finished. That way he gets to do whatever the he wants – however he wants – without constant whining from people looking over his shoulder and tutting/sighing/moaning whenever he does anything that doesn’t please them.
      What Mytharcana is doing is NOT “expressing disappointment”. What he’s doing is borderline persecution. I can criticise without alluding to Notch’s game-playing habits or suggesting that Mojang et al are lazy; why can’t he?

This is the fourth or fifth thread I’ve seen now with at least one person making these kinds of comments and if nothing else it’s bloody rude. *I* am disappointed that the next update won’t be the Adventure update but I have the common decency not to post insinuations on things I know very little about. Any other developer delays a game, people say “Oh well, take the time to get the game right.” Notch delays a feature, suddenly people are calling him lazy and dumping on him. It’s hypocrisy, borderline abusive and it should stop.

And I’m also sick of hearing what modders do for the game. If they’re so god-damned smart and deserving of worship why don’t they write their own games, show us all – and Notch – how it’s done, eh? I mean, if Notch is so slow surely someone could have duplicated Minecraft by now, what with all the effort going into these mods? Yes, there’s some great work happening but a) No-one asked them to do it, and b) Notch has every right to release what he wants, when he wants, and calling him and his team lazy is just pure bad character on the part of spoiled, over-entitled gamers.

• Reapy says:

I agree, mojang is being pretty lazy, but hey, you guys are all (myself included) part of the millions of people that gave him all their money for a simple indie cuboid game. If I were him, I would do exactly what he is doing.

He went from a guy that was risking it on his own to develop games, he found the magic combination with minecraft and achieved this amazing thing called financial freedom that most of us toiling away at crap jobs can only hope to achieve. For the first time in his life, he can just slack as much or as little as he wants.

Honestly he could have taken the money and run, instead he formed a company, hired more people to support minecraft full time and will still be building games. Aren’t you guys all lucky he didn’t buy a nice piece of land somewhere and spend his days tanning on the beach?

So the other thing is that modders have freedom to churn out a megaload of crap. They don’t need to worry about breaking anything in the game, they just get an idea, put it in there and put it out in the community. When you actually are updating the game that is distributed to EVERYBODY, the ideas and concepts that go in there have to be good, they have to be stable and bug free, and you have to actually test that, not just bang out a whimsy of recipes and block types and/or variations on the world gen.

Minecraft hit it big because it walked the line between game and sandbox. I think if he sways too far in one direction or the other he risks alienating one crowd or the other. Modders have no audience and no responsibility to deliver bug free, non game breaking updates.

That said, getting angry because he works a 40 hour week and has a life outside his job is hilarious.

• frymaster says:

please reference where he said he was playing DNF today. The only references I can find are from last week (when he was on holiday)

11. Sinomatic says:

My burning question is thus:

Can I squish things between two pistons?

• sana says:

I’m going to bet that mobs are squishable, but blocks are not. And all I wanted pistons for is the automatic cobble factory.. =(

• Hoaxfish says:

Well, it shows you can smash sand just by bouncing it too fast… but I guess if you could smash blocks with pistons you could actually build an automated tunnelling machine

12. Xocrates says:

Wait, where does it say that the adventure update was delayed?

They’re releasing Pistons early because people asked them to (or more specifically, Notch asked if people wanted pistons early and folk said yes), the adventure update never had a release date to begin with and the only thing that changed is that now it will be version 1.8 instead of 1.7.

• Ondrej says:

Right you are, my dear sir.

• GrandmaFunk says:

“Wait, where does it say that the adventure update was delayed?”

“the only thing that changed is that now it will be version 1.8 instead of 1.7.”

and do you expected version 1.8 to come out before or after 1.7?

• Xocrates says:

@GrandmaFunk: What does that have anything to do with anything?

The adventure update, which was formerly going to be patch 1.7, is now patch 1.8. The release date of that was not altered, only the version number changed.

A new patch, now called 1.7, is going to be released. This does not cause the Adventure update to be delayed, since this was an unplanned patch that releases some features early.

Honestly, in this context saying the adventure update was delayed is the equivalent of saying that if you decide to have a snack between lunch and dinner, then dinner was delayed.

• GrandmaFunk says:

it’s just as valid to state that the adventure content planned for patch 1.7 was pushed back to a later release.

we could split hairs in both directions but in the end this is what I think it boils down to:

-a patch was due out “soon”.
      -this patch was meant to include “some adventure stuff”.

now only one of those things is happening

emotionally, the result is that something that players were expecting “soon” will instead happen “later”

regardless of not having set dates, it’s pretty fair to call that a delay.

• Xocrates says:

Indeed, it’s splitting hairs, because I never read (and still don’t) as “adventure stuff has been delayed to patch 1.8″, so much as “we’re launching some content early so there isn’t so much time between updates”.

And that’s the thing isn’t it? The adventure stuff would never be released this early, the only difference is that now it is not the next patch, which yes can be seen as a delay, but from my point of view it doesn’t make sense since we’re getting the same content in the same amount of time, the only difference being that now it’s two releases instead of one.

• Hedgeson says:

I can’t be bothered to search his blog or twitter, but Notch did mention that the adventure udpate would take a while. As such, it was not going to be released soon. So to tide people over and calm down some spamming players, he’s releasing content that’s completely integrated, such as pistons and shears.

He did say that the adventure update would be delayed, since they’re adding more content than initially planned. Most of that content is stuff he’s been planning for a while or ideas taken from mods. I just hope the game isn’t a victim of feature creep.

That said, BRING ON TOMORROW’S UPDATE. and YAY NOTCH IS A GOD

13. BooleanBob says:

What! Delays! How dare they!!

Where’s Lulzsec when you need them?

(Too soon?)

14. Jumwa says:

Ooooh, that stone wall that turns into a stairway/door was so awesome. And the notion of making a zombie smasher (atomic no doubt) excites.

15. Hoaxfish says:

Yay pistons… can you actually put pistons on pistons?

And what is supposed to be in the “adventure update” anyway?

• Shark says:

My thoughts right there
      I just want to make a caste that rises out of the ground

16. mistwolf says:

If I wasn’t so busy playing Terraria I might care. ;)

• Hoaxfish says:

I might care about your comment if I felt like it

• Unaco says:

Awww, I think both of you guys need a hug… You should probably find someone that cares enough to give you one.

• Wilson says:

@Unaco – *high five*

• Wulf says:

Honestly I can’t help but agree.

Minecraft’s a great game and it kept me entertained for a long time. I bear no malice to Minecraft, none at all, it entertained me far, far longer than many other things I could’ve spent £5-6 on would have. So I salute Minecraft for that. But nothing’s really happening with it now, and Terraria is progressing at quite a clip and new stuff is being added all the time, and Terraria is doing more of what I personally want right now (I’m all build’d out). Soooo… yeah.

Pistons won’t be enough to bring me back to Minecraft at the moment, I’m too burned out on the whole building thing. Now I just want to do the ‘exploring and finding random neat shit’ thing. Terraria has me covered with that whilst having the compulsive digging element in place, too. Also: Ivy whip.

I can see why the final release of Minecraft is coming, really, because I think after all the time we’ve been playing it for, many of us are probably all build’d out (not just me), and thus are looking for different experiences elsewhere. Again, not to say that Terraria is a better game than Minecraft. I don’t think it is. It’s just a very different game. Different is good once you’ve had too much of one thing.

• Wilson says:

@Wulf – Yeah, I know how you feel. None of the recent updates have added anything really interesting to Minecraft for me, so I’m going to wait until there’s a really big, interesting update, or more likely until he adds the modding API and some quality mods appear.

I’m very interested to see what happens with Terraria as far as new stuff being added goes. I wonder how long they’ll keep adding free stuff, and what plans they have (if any) for added paid for content like expansion packs maybe.

• skinlo says:

I’m the type of person who plays Minecraft in peaceful, I have no interest in killing stuff and I just enjoy mining then building, so I don’t really have any interest in Terraria tbh.

• Wilson says:

@skinlo – Actually, on a sort of similar topic, I really wish Notch would add in unlimited different block types (or just more block types) into creative mode. Just so that if people want to, they can create massive numbers of different blocks to get super detailed stuff built. I’m enjoying building a random city type thing, but I want to add a load of special blocks, and replacing all the cloth blocks only gives you so many extra options.

• mistwolf says:

Wulf summed up my views nicely, though I was mostly aiming for humor and failing. I adore Minecraft, but for the moment, I’ve played it to death. Now, when the adventure pack IS released, I will go back to it and care a lot! But for now, Terraria. :)

Also, I have hugs! My two kids hug me all the time for buying a 4 pack and setting up a house server. We’re about to tackle the underground jungle! They both love Minecraft, too. :)

17. B0GiE-uk- says:

How about frag nades and a machine gun so i can kill them pesky creepers at range?

18. Unaco says:

“It had better be, or… or… or… or I guess we’ll write a slightly sad blog post or something. That’ll show him”

Really? I thought the common course of action these days, when in these situations, was to fill his blog with over-entitled whining, pretend that a vocal 1% of the community speaks for the majority, demand satisfaction, DDoS his server, threaten sexual violence against his friends and family, threaten to sue, threaten to kill yourself, and/or paint a picture of Notch atop a gleaming mountain of YOUR gold, playing his PlayStation 4 and laughing at those waiting for updates. Do you mean there won’t be any of that this time?

19. Koozer says:

I don’t care about “game,” fix the water.

• Wulf says:

Yeah, water really needs to be particulate in Minecraft. It wouldn’t destroy the world, honestly Notch! So you can stop making water out of blocks, now!

I’d absolutely love to see particulate water in Minecraft.

• skinlo says:

Water is fine. Most of my water features would fail without unlimited water. This isn’t Terraria.

• CMaster says:

No, water isn’t fine.
      I’ve got a lot of reservations about making water purely volumetric – it would kill any natural sources of flowing water pretty quickly unless you implemented a sophisticated rainfall/run off model.

However, with the current water (and Lava) they have crazy memory effects. It’s quite straightforward to create a water flow, remove the source and replace it and have something completely different appear in its place. This shouldn’t happen – water in the same place with the same things around it should always behave the same.

• Koozer says:

Minecraft already has source blocks for flowing water, like for waterfalls. Let water source blocks spawn above a certain height, make sand/clay etc. absorb water slowly, make it spawn at the bottom of flowing water, hey presto, volumetric water that doesn’t break everything!
      As it is you can’t do anything complex with water unless you use console commands to spawn blocks of it exactly where you want.
      If I knew how to use anything more complex than Game Maker I’d have a go myself…

PS. I was thinking more of Dwarf Fortress than Terraria. So many epic constructions/hilarious failures result from the fluid system.

• Jhoosier says:

@Koozer: I actually just did something like that in DF, which made me quit and come read this article. (I forgot to depressurize my well and it flooded everything)

But to be honest, I don’t really mind the way water works now. It comes out of a source block, flows a certain number to squares and quits. If it goes down, it resets. Not that complicated. I guess I don’t understand what people want to change about it. You kinda accept that that’s the way things work when you have square sheep and pigs.

20. Po0py says:

I don’t think it was actually delayed just that the Piston thing was brought forward to appease everyone. The adventure mode was always just gonna take as long as it takes. But the full 2.0 version is due in November and they will need time to work on that so I’d expect the adventure mode to drop around September / October.

21. Hallgrim says:

More time spent on the “game” game update? Groovy.

22. InternetBatman says:

I can’t wait to make SMP traps that push people into the nether. Also a working toilet.

• Kollega says:

Uh… i’m pretty sure you can’t “push” people into the Nether, unless you mean trapping them in a portal untill they teleport into it.

23. Kollega says:

What will i make with pistons? How about some Portal2-esque dynamic chambers made with pistons and hatches? Stairs growing out of the walls, temporary bridges formed by hatches, puzzles based on redirecting the flow of water, and such.

• Sinomatic says:

The dynamic chamber wall pieces were the first thing I thought of when I saw the pistons. The next thing I thought was “I can’t wait until someone does it and puts it on youtube since I’m too lazy to work out how to do that”.

24. King Kong says:

The next time they take an already existing mod (pistons) and add it to Minecraft, could they please not take a month to do it?

25. Turin Turambar says:

I am ok with this. I think Notch has noticed how adding a game to Minecraft is not something to do without care, nor something it can be done adding a pair of monsters and that’s it.

26. King Kong says:

Also, I’m a little curious in what state Minecraft will be in when it’s released.

To me, for the game to be relatively ‘complete’, it would need a new combat system, new/more enemies, more loot (new ores, gems, potions, items, etc), unique animals/enemies/plants/terrain features in each environment, a modding API, and the sp/mp integration (which is what he’s planning to do).

Unfortunately, I doubt they’ll be able to do all of these things with their self imposed deadline, and I’m not holding my breath for post-release content, considering how often they update the game now

27. GHudston says:

It’s worth mentioning that this isn’t really a delay, but rather an early release of the pistons and stuff to keep us happy whilst they finish the adventure update which was always going to take ages.

28. Urthman says:

The whole “1.7 is the Adventure Update” plan always seemed silly to me.

Minecraft 1.5 – add weather and powered rails
    Minecraft 1.6 – add maps, trapdoors, and tall grass
    Minecraft 1.7 – add pistons and…turn Minecraft into a game.

I’d be really surprised if in the process of making quests and monsters and dungeons and whatever they don’t come up with a few more isolated features like pistons they’d like to release as 1.8 or whatever.

29. Hematite says:

I love Minecraft to bits, but I can’t see this project plan working out at all – there’s no way v1.0 is happening that fast.

On the other hand, I don’t care unless Notch decides to start doing half-assed releases to meet completely arbitrary deadlines.

30. gwathdring says:

I’m going to make a god-damn collapsible house.

31. Bart Stewart says:

I wonder how much in the minority I am…?

Minecraft exactly as it is today suits me just fine. I bought my copy long ago and I’ve enjoyed creating new worlds and exploring them. I’ve built a few complex constructions, but hardly even scratched the surface of what’s possible with that so there’s still plenty of content left.

In other words, I bought Minecraft as a game that’s fun for Explorer-types, and it scratches that itch nicely just as it is. Frankly, I rather wish no development time was being spent on an “adventure” mode. I’m not offended that other gamers prefer to have more direction in their games, or that they prefer games that give them little rewards (XP, character levels, loot, medals, achievements, etc.) for interacting with the gameworld. I’m happy that there are plenty of games that cater to those interests.

But that’s the point — there are already a lot of games like that out there. In fact, virtually every game is like that, with lots of developer-defined action and frequent predefined rewards of various kinds. Why does Minecraft have to become more like those other games? Why can’t there be one game that consciously caters to Explorers when there’s a Terraria for other kinds of gamers?

That’s a rhetorical question, of course; I’m aware of several reasons why this is happening. The wishful part of that question stands, though. Adventurization may have been inevitable, but I can still wish that Notch had chosen to continue to emphasize the “worldy” aspects of Minecraft that make it so uniquely appealing to those of us for whom exploring deeply interacting world-systems is its own reward.

I’m not claiming that Minecraft will somehow become a Bad Game by the addition of content that is intended to make it more fun for other kinds of gamers. I just don’t think it’s necessary when there are already plenty of games that cater to action- and achievement-oriented gamers — why is it wrong to wish that Explorers could have one game that consciously caters to them and their playstyle interests?

32. po says:

With the pistons I think I’ll make an automatic flush system for my mob grinder. It’s so annoying having all those trenches in it and hoping mobs fall in them, so a bunch of redstone timers and a big row of pistons at the edge of the highest floor to hold the water back should fix that.

I certainly got enough redstone mining out all that rock.

33. pipman3000 says:

i’m not buying this until it becomes a game instead of a toy.