Battlefield Heroes’ Summer Super Stuff

By Jim Rossignol on June 28th, 2011 at 2:48 pm.

Picking itself up and dusting itself off from a rude, if mild, hacking, Battlefield Heroes reveals its intentions to make summer a little snazzier for its players with new stuff. NEW STUFF! God, I hate old stuff. It’s so rubbish. Heroes’ new stuff includes pirate and wizard outfits for you to prance about in as you kill World War Analogy enemies in EA’s artfully cartoon environments, but also superhero outfits which grant you special superhero powers. There’s even a pair of trailers out to show off the kit in action, and you can check those out below!

Yeah, yeah, I can see you peeking. A few thoughts on this and attending F2P stuff below.

As much as I am against CCP messing with Eve’s set up, I am not against cash shop systems if they are appropriate to the game in question. I’m enjoying having a choice, frankly. And Heroes was designed like that from the ground up, so it is appropriate. What’s even more important is the fact is that it’s significantly less interesting as a game than TF2, which is also now free. Even if it hadn’t been free, TF2 still outdoes this in pace and variety, which is ultimately more important to my personal decision as to which game I would want to play, and which game I would recommend people play.

Anyway, what’s interesting about this Heroes latest update is that previously EA have described the performance boosting enhancements in the game as being small % bonuses, that you could pretty much get from being highly skilled. These super powers are quite different in scope. They’re the equivalent of unlocking new vehicles of whatnot, and could make a big difference to how the game plays.

That said, the superhero stuff looks fun, and if people out there want to pay for it, then good luck to them.

, , .

Stijn says:

Wow, that voice. I didn’t know my speakers had such low frequences in them.

2. Mattressi says:

So, I take it that they still haven’t removed the “pay to win” aspect of the game – in fact, it seems that they’ve further expanded it. Good luck to them.

Now I’ll go back to playing TF2, a free game which is far superior and also does not require you to pay to be on equal footing with other players (you CAN pay, of course, but you can also just play the damn game and get the items that way too).

• SaVi says:

I second this. Battlefield Heroes is now even more dead to me. That EA lead who is responsible for their F2P P2W games has a few screws loose, I remember that he said something incredibely stupid about the future of gaming.

3. onehitter says:

Heroes is so much flipping fun to play. Looking forward to the Superhero stuff. I can’t stand TF2 but have played thousands of hours of BFH.

It’s 420 friendly, got cool outfits, weapons and emotes and a great way to burn time and brush up on your combat skills.

Yes, Free-to-play, Pay-to-play-better. But what game isn’t?? Cough up some dough you cheapies.

thristhart says:

“What game isn’t” is a really terrible argument, since there’s loads of those, and “other people do it” isn’t a valid argument anyway.

That said, Heroes is an okay game, if you’re willing to make the monetary investment.

• cliffski says:

in bad company 2 everyone pays the same, and it’s a level playing field.
      radical eh :D

• Nick says:

so do you work for EA or something? ‘A great way to brush up on your combat skills’ what? Who talks like that?

• Was Neurotic says:

@Nick

Literate human beings do, Nick. Been to school?

• Ultra-Humanite says:

I’m pretty sure anyone who says “cough up some dough, you cheapies,” to berate you into playing Battlefield Heroes’ deserves to be mocked.

Carra says:

@Cliffski.

Well, just hire a Chinese farmer to level your character to level 50.

• Thants says:

What game isn’t? The vast majority of games aren’t.

4. Koozer says:

I liked Heroes for a while, but all the paid-for weapons that only last roughly 7 seconds is just silly.

5. The_Great_Skratsby says:

The closed beta was fun, as was release. Then all the dominant payments sunk in. If the game wasn’t riddled with microtransactions altering the competitive nature of it, let alone the silly class = character system, and had a fixed price I’d consider it.

• Tei says:

yea, the closed beta…
      $ cat Battlefield Heroes Beta (550k users).csv | grep skrat

6. cornflakes says:

A “mild” hacking? They released 550K username/password combos from the game. The “encryption” on those passwords was an unsalted MD5 hash. Using an online tool that runs in the browser, it took 2.5 seconds to go from my password hash in the released file to my actual password. I’ve got a number of other sites (none super-important or financial) that use that same username/password combo. So, I’ve been changing my passwords left and right to beat the hackers to their target.

A neogaf forum member who works in computer security (from a post on the topic) decrypted fully half of the passwords from that file in less than 6 hours, just to show how lame EA’s attempt at security was and how important it was to go change your password.

In summary, the leak could end up being pretty devastating to hundreds of thousands of users, and I’m not exaggerating. The race is on to go change your passwords.

• Undulating Tentacle says:

@cornflakes: The ‘usernames’ you refer to were in fact the EA handles, which means you would have to guess someones login name in order to hack them. If I told you my password right here in plaintext, would you be able to hack my Facebook? No.

• cornflakes says:

@an.bl. Well, I did just find your facebook but I suppose that is irrelevant since that extra effort is not expected of a hacker utilizing this list. Anyways, my “EA handle” is in fact my username on many a site, so the difference to me is meaningless. I did just finish changing my password everywhere where I used it, but the scare was there.

7. Oasx says:

Based on those videos, the game still only seems to have the same 3 maps it did years ago, has there seriously been no development on it other than to produce pay items?

8. Thunderkor says:

“420 friendly”? I hardly see that as a ringing endorsement.
    I enjoyed Heroes in beta for a while but after it went live the “pay to win” aspect got really obnoxious and I lost interest. Shame, because it was a bit of fun from time to time.

EDIT: This was supposed to be a reply to one of the above comments. *sigh*

9. buzzmong says:

I had a go at this game last year. I didn’t think it was very good. It was on my PC for all of two days before it got uninstalled.