Onwards! SHIFT 2 DLC Free On PC

By Andrew Smee on June 28th, 2011 at 10:20 am.

I feel the need, the need for... uh. Maybe some toast?

You know the worst thing about racing? All that turning. Left, right, left, more left – who needs it? Best not to worry about those finer details and stick to what’s in front of you. This new Speedhunters DLC pack for SHIFT 2 should help with all that bother, adding the ability to go very fast in a straight line. Six tracks covering the Quarter Mile and Standing Mile disciplines, with fourteen new specialised cars, are landing June 30th alongside the Legends DLC, which features five tracks with the more traditional curvy parts and a dozen new cars of its own.

Both have been out for a couple of months in console land but us PC types will be getting them for free, via Origin. The excitable trailer’s eyeing the horizon after the jump.

RPS note – Half of RPS are away on SECRET MISSIONS at the moment, so Mr Smee here is helping us out in the meantime.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Jams O'Donnell says:

“Secret missions” = enjoying the sun

I’m on to you, hivemind!

• Sheng-ji says:

Secret Missions = Posing behind Defeated Anti-Games Senator for a RPS photo

• McDan says:

Secret missions: clearly avoiding the sun, and refilling the pun-o-meter.

2. Binman88 says:

Cool I guess.

On a related note, I was in PC World the other day and saw the PC version on sale for €79.99

3. mbp says:

Slightly off topic but recently I have been doing a bit of soul searching about the personal impact of the ever reducing price of gaming on the PC.

It has gotten to the stage where I have grown used to and in fact come to expect that I can enjoy an endless stream premium quality gaming on my PC for , if not quite free, as close to free as makes no difference.

While this is absolutely terrific on one level I have to wonder whether it actually devalues the experience of gaming in some way. We are strongly conditioned to equate the value of something to the price you pay for it. When you can get a six month old triple A game for less than a tenner, does it still feel like a triple A gaming experience?

One consequence of this is that my expectations of longevity have shrunk. Ten years ago when I payed full price for Deus Ex or Homeworld I was making a major investment in gaming entertainment and I fully expected that game to keep me busy for up to a month. Nowadays when I pick up a title in a Steam sale for €10 I am happy if it lasts me a weekend and then is promptly forgotten.

Don’t get me wrong. If you offered me a choice of going back to the bad old days of expensive gaming I would refuse but I am simply wondering if something of the awe and reverence we attached to big name games has dissipated because they have become so cheaply available?

• Binman88 says:

I don’t think it does, though I guess it varies from person to person. Deus Ex is one of my all time favourites, and I bought it as a Sold-Out budget title, along with two other games (possibly Thief 2, another all time favourite) for a tenner.

Edit: “I don’t think it does”, above = I don’t think the price of a game changes the level of value or enjoyment I get from it.

4. RogB says:

perhaps its just me, but im not really seeing the appeal of multiplayer drag racing. or single player drag racing for that matter.

does it enforce manual gear changes at least, or is it 8 players hovering over the ‘GO FAST’ key…. player with the most expensive car wins ?

• Sheng-ji says:

I expect like the rest of the game, the controls are so overly sensitive, the handling of the cars so precisely exaggerated and with the laws of physics distorted just right that the challenge will be in keeping the car in a straight line, nailing the gear changes at the precise revs, feathering the power to avoid wheel spin, trading grip with drag in your setup.
      I despise the game and the direction racing games are currently going (Don’t try to blend Gran Turismo and mario kart, give me both) but one thing I will say is that there is a lot of skill to this game and I doubt this mode will be any different

• Ross Angus says:

It’s how hard you can press the “go fast” button, that makes you win. I wear stilettos, and use them to press down on it.

5. MartinNr5 says:

Hello Mr Smee!

6. Rei Onryou says:

If I wasn’t at work, I’d throw in some links to Peter Pan/Hook – humorously suggesting that Mr Smee is the same character. Can someone fill in for me please?

KG

7. Raiyan 1.0 says:

I’m curious – does NFS still have no Ferrari? :/

8. Zelius says:

Nice bookshelf on the back of that Viper.

9. wazups2x says:

So what if you bought it from Steam?

10. Navagon says:

I hate to say it, Andrew, but Smee is the perfect name for a lackey.

Thanks for bringing us this news of freebie goodness though. If I hadn’t recently bought the first one in a sale I’d be considering this one. But as it stands that one will probably be bought in a sale too.